• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paskil

As divisive as the Hitchhikers Guide movie was, I really want the follow up story. I actually quite enjoyed the Dirk Gently BBC TV series. It's a shame that a sequel to Hitchhiker will likely never happen.

I think I'm going to go read the books again now for the umpteenth time.

Paskil

I think my favorite moment in the series is when they chase the Chesterfield sofa. That was the third or fourth book.

Also, Thomas Lennon was perfect as Eddie the Computer. And Alan Rickman as Marvin.

Member876

Banned
I actually enjoyed The Restaurant at the End of the Universe more than the first book.

Same. And pretty much all the books are worth the read. There are some great moments in every book and they are short books, so you won't be wasting much time if you end up disliking them.

edit. movie was horrible tho. Maybe BBC produced series would be best course for the material.

Metallix87

I really enjoyed the film and would also love a sequel, but I'm fine with the way it ended. Sometimes, it's best to leave well enough alone.

For the other books, I quite liked several parts of Life, the Universe, and Everything, but I'm not a fan of the resolution. So Long and Thanks For All the Fish also had some good parts but was overall rather dull, I felt, and I didn't like the conclusion. I probably would have liked Mostly Harmless if it just let Arthur be in peace, and I particularly liked the sequence of Ford rampaging through the Guide building, but no, instead there was weird drama with Trillian and Arthur's daughter and then everyone died.

I haven't read And Another Thing..., but I hear it was merely OK.

Dougald

I wouldn't mind another film, I feel it was the weakest adaptation (loss of jokes for one), but the great thing about the series is that it's tradition for each version to tell the same story slightly differently. The books aren't the same as the radio series, which differ from the tv show, which differ from the game, etc...

Weirdly, I even quite liked Mos Def as Ford Prefect even though I originally thought it was a bizarre casting choice

Definitely diminishing returns after the third book.

When I was growing up, it was a summer ritual to get the trilogy from the library. Still read the whole series at least once a year - yes, all six books!

IMO, it's the best of the books, and it should have had a movie. The third is so boring, though. :c The fourth is highly underrated, though.

I wouldn't mind another film, I feel it was the weakest adaptation (loss of jokes for one), but the great thing about the series is that it's tradition for each version to tell the same story slightly differently. The books aren't the same as the radio series, which differ from the tv show, which differ from the game, etc...

Weirdly, I even quite liked Mos Def as Ford Prefect even though I originally thought it was a bizarre casting choice

This shocked me. Then I saw it. Now I can't imagine it differently.

I didn't really enjoy So Long, but the first three books are all gems. Mostly Harmless would have been better without the unnecessary downer ending, something Adams himself admitted.

Tamanon

Banned
I honestly enjoyed the film. Definitely loved both Arthur and Ford in it. Would love for Restaurant to come out, but I imagine that lost a good amount of money.

Movie had flawless casting. Too bad about everything else. It could definately come back as a miniseries if they managed to pull Sam Rockwell and Alan Rickman again.

Leynos

As divisive as the Hitchhikers Guide movie was, I really want the follow up story. I actually quite enjoyed the Dirk Gently BBC TV series. It's a shame that a sequel to Hitchhiker will likely never happen.

I think I'm going to go read the books again now for the umpteenth time.

What?! How have I missed this? I really enjoyed the BBC version of Hitchhiker's, now I know what I must watch.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously need to finish this book and read the others. I was enjoying it a lot, but I've lost the reading habit a long time ago and haven't managed to get it back. Instead I play games or read GAF :/

Griffith Observatory here in LA has a cafe in it called "The Cafe at the End of the Universe". I thought this thread was about that.

I love the book but I haven't read it as many times as the first.

I would have loved a movie sequel but I think that ship sailed quite some time ago.

WillyFive

I loved the movie, I was sad the rest of the story was not adapted. It even had Martin Freeman in it. Too late now though.

I'm a sucker for these books. Have been since I was 12. It's a ritual of mine to read through the series every summer.

I wish we would have gotten more movies. But such is Hollywood. I doubt we'll ever see another.

I do like the suggestion of a netflix series. With a decent budget it might be able to do the books justice.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I made a Hitchiker reference last week and no-one got it :/

Someone commented on a picture of an ice covered lighthouse that it looked like a "hairy cake" and I replied "Is that a piece of fairy cake? I'm famished"

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I actually enjoyed The Restaurant at the End of the Universe more than the first book.
Same here! I read them out of order and read this one first in pocket book form when I was 10. This was more of an adventure than the firsts journey of that makes any sense. I really really love this book series, but this is the one I always go back to for a days reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom