• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Returned (US remake) - Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsXDcIDU_AY

For comparison, here's the trailer for the original series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bv_5IBPVuo

The Returned is an upcoming American supernatural drama television series, an adaptation of the French series Les Revenants, which was broadcast internationally with the title The Returned. The series follows residents in a small town whose lives are disrupted when people who have been dead for many years begin reappearing. Carlton Cuse wrote the pilot episode and executive produces the series alongside Raelle Tucker. The first season contains ten episodes. It is filmed in Squamish, British Columbia. The series will premiere on March 9, 2015.

Cast

• India Ennenga as Camille Winship
  • Mark Pellegrino as Jack Winship
  • Tandi Wright as Claire Winship
  • Sophie Lowe as Lena Winship
  • Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Rowan Blackshaw
  • Mat Vairo as Simon Moran
  • Kevin Alejandro as Sheriff Tommy Solano
  • Sandrine Holt as Julie Han
  • Dylan Kingwell as "Victor"
  • Agnes Bruckner as Deputy Nikki Banks
  • Aaron Douglas as Tony Darrow
  • Jeremy Sisto as Peter Lattimore
  • Terry Chen as Mark Bao
  • Dakota Guppy as Chloe Blackshaw
  • Keenan Tracy as Ben Lowry
  • Carl Lumbly as Pastor Leon Wright
  • Leah Gibson as Lucy McCabe
  • Chelah Horsdal as Kris
  • Michelle Forbes as Helen Goddard
  • Rhys Ward as Adam Darrow
  • Alexander Calvert as Hunter
  • Giacomo Baessato as Shane Slater

lednerg

Huh, I thought they already tried this with Resurrection (which was a pile of shit).

EDIT: Watched the clip and this looks way better. Like an actual remake.

Huh, I thought they already tried this with Resurrection (which was a pile of shit).

EDIT: Watched the clip and this looks way better. Like an actual remake.

They're not based on the same source material - Edit: (or are they?)

As for the remake, I wish they had done their own thing instead of copying the original, but I'll watch it anyway.

glaurung

It looks stupidly twitchy compared to the French version. Then again, I could not get farther than episode 3 of the original series either.

If I hadn't seen the original, I would've had no idea what this show is about.

Looks a lot more hectic and less subtle and restrained compared to the original.

lednerg

Is it? I've checked on Wikipedia and the page for They Came Back (which the French series is supposedly based on) makes no mention of the book.

I think you're right. But at some point somebody was ripping someone off because there are some pretty glaring similarities. Anyway, The Returned is so much better than Resurrection it's not even funny. Good to see that it will get a bigger English speaking audience, even if it might not completely match the tone of the original.

I'm not sure what you guys ean by 'twitchy' but I wouldn't worry about the remake. It's just a trailer so the editing in the actual series might be different, who knows.

glaurung

I'm not sure what you guys ean by 'twitchy' but I wouldn't worry about the remake. It's just a trailer so the editing in the actual series might be different, who knows.
I hope you're right about that editing pace. But this is America. You don't edit a slow-ass series into an action movie trailer.

I expect they will try to spice it up at every turn.

Frog-fu

Banned
Trailer looks vaguely promising but I'm always apprehensive when the top billing is given to actors whose characters all share the same surname. I've lost count how of many potentially good shows have been ruined by family drama. :/

Trailer looks vaguely promising but I'm always apprehensive when the top billing is given to actors whose characters all share the same surname. I've lost count how of many potentially good shows have been ruined by family drama. :/
The show is about how people deal with the return of their deceased loved ones (along with some mystery arc) so it pretty much is family drama - but it's good!

Also, Mary-Elisabeth Winstead.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
The original seems to be in Netflix, so I now have a new show to watch.
Has to be good if it gets a remake. Thanks for the tip.

Frog-fu

Banned
The show is about how people deal with the return of their deceased loved ones (along with some mystery arc) so it pretty much is family drama - but it's good!

Also, Mary-Elisabeth Winstead.

I should have clarified by what I meant with family drama. I don't have any issue with family drama in an ensemble cast per se, however my concern is that the one family will be the centre focus of the show and that, as it generally happens in my experience, the better, more interesting characters that aren't as closely tied to them won't be given their due. It worked out well enough with The Leftovers, I suppose, but I still harbour some apprehension.

I should have clarified by what I meant with family drama. I don't have any issue with family drama in an ensemble cast per se, however my concern is that the one family will be the centre focus of the show and that, as it generally happens in my experience, the better, more interesting characters that aren't as closely tied to them won't be given their due. It worked out well enough with The Leftovers, I suppose, but I still harbour some apprehension.

If I remember correctly, each episode of the French series (except for the last one because of spoilers) was named after a different character and was centered on him or her. That helped ensure equal treatment so I'm optimistic :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Eh... decent cast, but I think it's going to miss most of what makes the original awesome. The French show isn't afraid to be slow and creepy, working like a longform Kiyoshi Kurosawa movie. Plus, the Mogwai score is something special.

Charlatan

Neo Member
That trailer makes it look like it's a 100% copy of the original. I don't see the point of a remake if you're simply going to restage the source material.

Frog-fu

Banned
If I remember correctly, each episode of the French series (except for the last one because of spoilers) was named after a different character and was centered on him or her. That helped ensure equal treatment so I'm optimistic :)

That does sound good. I'll probably watch the original before I watch the US remake if I get around to it.

Criticized for the many similarities between the two series, Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) and Raelle Tucker (True Blood) have recently said that "only the starting point would be similar" and that the American version would progressively drift away from the French one, "particularly starting from the sixth episode"
(Source: Le Monde)

Edit: Le Monde says that the second season of the French series will finish shooting on March 20.

jwk94

Wow this is really a shot for shot remake with an American cast? I didn't expect that at all....

As for those wondering why they would do this? Not everyone wants to read subtitles.

Replicant

Oh it has Mark Pellegrino. I'll watch!

Never seen nor heard the original. I feel like I've been living in a cave when it comes to TV shows these days. Haven't got enough time to watch them.

Is Mary Elizabeth Winstead playing a new character?

It's almost impossible to describe the mood in The Returned. The landscape, the locale, the music, the minimalistic way events unfold, such a good show.

Is Mary Elizabeth Winstead playing a new character?

It's almost impossible to describe the mood in The Returned. The landscape, the locale, the music, the minimalistic way events unfold, such a good show.

From my understanding, she's playing the American version of Adèle Werther (Simon's widow)

Wow I just started watching this randomly on Netflix 2 weeks ago. I had no idea they were planning a US version. Hopefully they don't ruin it!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I loved the original. The teen actress looks almost the same as the French actress.

cLOUDo

the "original" victor is way lot better

les-revenants-victor.jpg
}

Nemesis_

I am so confused about why they bothered to do this even when ABC already tried something similar (although that was awful so maybe it'll be better)

Are they literally based on the same material and this is just coincidence? Kind of reminded me when we had between two and three different Snow White films coincidentally being released one year and two Hercules films too.

Jonm1010

Banned
The original was pretty good,although a little slow at times...lets hope they dont mess it up.

Kind of looks like they already are TBH. It might be the trailer's editing but the acting looked over the top - the moody, dark, melancholy tone and subtle but beautiful cinematography looks to have been replaced with something that looks like a cross between a old WB show and True Blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom