• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I almost wonder if maybe Bill was trying to keep ESPN from being on his pods more than ESPN was keeping their people from being on them.

Who knows though. That whole situation is so weird and deep that it's impossible to tell.

I almost wonder if maybe Bill was trying to keep ESPN from being on his pods more than ESPN was keeping their people from being on them.

Who knows though. That whole situation is so weird and deep that it's impossible to tell.

I thought Bill's comment at the end was telling. It was something to the effect of "unfortunately he's still at ESPN.com". There's little doubt that Bill wanted Zach to come with him to The Ringer, but I think Zach made the right decision staying with ESPN, simply for their reach and connections to the NBA. But it's quite possible that Bill has accepted that he'll never get Zach on his team again, and now he's simply willing to do what he can, like the occasional pod, and ESPN brass has given their consent.

jtb

Banned

That's what Barnwell implied a while back.

Simmons is arrogant and incredibly petty. What else is new?

bigkrev

Robert Mays is on Barnwell's ESPN podcast today

I think that they are back on good terms with eachother, and that we will see more ESPN/Ringer podcast crossovers!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Looks like Bill is doing a pod with Steve Ballmer today. Interesting to see how much he presses him on the Clippers.

Yeah I hate Ballmer for so so many reasons but really interested to hear this pod. The non-traditional guests seem to go one of three ways -- either they hit it off and it's a nice "free-flowing conversation" or the person is defensive and PRish, but Bill likes them so just kisses ass, or it goes the Boogie/first KD interview way, which is close to peak awkwardness.

Credo

I think Bill knows that a topic gets more coverage if there's controversy surrounding it as opposed to something just getting mentioned normally. I think he tweeted in that fashion in order to get more exposure for Jonah. And he's a wrestling fan, so I imagine he's embracing playing the heel.

Sounds like the ESPN x Ringer was from ESPN people asking

So why the rendezvous? It’s not as complicated as you might think. ESPN has always treated podcast requests on a case-by-case basis and it’ll often let high-profile staffers appear on places where there has been some corporate conflict (for example, ESPN’s Adam Schefter appears regularly on WEEI Radio in Boston, a station at the fore of the anti-ESPN sentiment in New England). Obviously, Simmons will always be a hot-button topic among some Bristol execs, but an ESPN spokesperson said, “It was a group discussion and a pretty quick one” regarding Lowe’s request. Which executives were part of this decision? ESPN did not respond to that request.

bigkrev

So the Ringer MLB Podcast is EXCLUSIVE to Tune-in Radio for the month of April. Won't appear in your feed on whatever podcast client you use except for Tune-in.

Complete horseshit

jtb

Banned
btw the Keri beef appears to be real. at least that's what all the folks seem to think on Twitter.

The Ringer would be way better if Bill Simmons wasn't doing a bunch of Boston related articles and hiring his Boston friends.

Nah, without the Simmons BS, it would be an absolute nothing of a website. They're chasing the clicks, but there's already so many better alternatives at the clickbait -- and most of those (BR/Buzzfeed/etc) have branched out into doing really good substantive stuff too.

The website is fucking terrible and I'm disappointed they've poached really good, smart people like Mays when they could be writing good content at SI.

Whatever. Now that Keeping it 1600 jumped ship, not even podcasts are a draw for me anymore.

jtb

Banned
also even washed up McNabb is better than any QB Lombardi's Browns could have fucking dreamed of. no work ethic? what the hell are you talking about? he was, at worst, a damn good QB in his prime. I just can't get over how utterly nonsensical the whole article is.

okay, I'm officially back on the Lombardi is awful train.

btw the Keri beef appears to be real. at least that's what all the folks seem to think on Twitter.

Nah, without the Simmons BS, it would be an absolute nothing of a website. They're chasing the clicks, but there's already so many better alternatives at the clickbait -- and most of those (BR/Buzzfeed/etc) have branched out into doing really good substantive stuff too.

The website is fucking terrible and I'm disappointed they've poached really good, smart people like Mays when they could be writing good content at SI.

Whatever. Now that Keeping it 1600 jumped ship, not even podcasts are a draw for me anymore.

I disagree, there are a lot of great writers and editors there still produsing some good content, even if it's not at the level of Grantland. Losing the Keeping it 1600 guys did suck though, although as long as they are still producing content it doesn't really matter to me where it is.

Lombardi is clearly the worst person there, and if I have to see Simmons relate one more part of relevant sports news to the Celtics or Patriots I'll lose it. I like some of Bill's podcasts though, even if I don't consistently listen to them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Simmons podcasts have been really good the past month+ tbh. Kind of a return to form with a lot of variety and going beyond Boston stuff mostly.

If the Keri thing is real that's weird for about a million reasons, including that Simmons himself admittedly stole Mailbag from MMQB.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I do want to hear schadenfreude Bill Celtics misery actually, though he's gone conspicuously radio silent on all Celtics talk except for the occasional halfhearted tweet. :p

I do not want Bill to drone on in the offseason and into next season about the current Celtics like they're some team on the cusp of a dynasty with the most brilliant coach in all of basketball, like he did after they got bounced by the Hawks in Round 1 last year. Or hours of worthless speculation and trade suggestions for a team that should prove they can make it out of R1 of the EC playoffs (ffs) before he devoted 80% of his NBA coverage to them. But I know he can't help himself so I guess I'll just have to look forward to R1 2018.

So I do want to hear schadenfreude Bill Celtics misery actually, though he's gone conspicuously radio silent on all Celtics talk except for the occasional halfhearted tweet. :p

I do not want Bill to drone on in the offseason and into next season about the current Celtics like they're some team on the cusp of a dynasty with the most brilliant coach in all of basketball, like he did after they got bounced by the Hawks in Round 1 last year. Or hours of worthless speculation and trade suggestions for a team that should prove they can make it out of R1 of the EC playoffs (ffs) before he devoted 80% of his NBA coverage to them. But I know he can't help himself so I guess I'll just have to look forward to R1 2018.

Wait till they lose out on Paul George after his inevitable 3000 word column on why Boston is the right choice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I gotta say I don't even follow the Ringer twitter or check them daily but I do follow netw3rk and Simmons and have been visiting and reading Ringer much more regularly. I actually kind of like their really fast posting after games and stuff. It's probably no better than B/R but I know the Ringer folks like Serrano, netw3rk, etc. more so that's my go-to. Podcasts have been pretty good recently too. Overall feel like the ship has been righted since the HBO show got canned.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
"2nd podcast of the day: called my dad on the @Ringer NBA Show to discuss Isaiah's incredible Game 2. He was there."
/barf
come on wizards please save us bs report listeners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom