• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rise and Fall of Thief

TaySan

Banned
I remember the PS4 game being so meh. I only picked it up because there was literally nothing to play on PS4 at the time and i was dying to have something new to play.

TaySan

Banned
Same here I think I purchased it for like $5 on a psn sale . One of the worse games I ever played on PS4 I never got around to finishing it
I paid full price for this sucker. :( but hey it was 1080p gameplay so it was worth it! : P .../s

Those early digital foundry comparisons were hilarious. people fighting over 1080p vs 900p XD

Last edited:

_Ex_

I've been video gaming since 1983, and Thief: The Dark Project remains the greatest video game I've ever played in all these years. It's an absolute masterpiece, but truly is not for impatient players. I also greatly enjoyed Thief II and Thief: Deadly Shadows.

I own, but have not played the 2014 Thief.

I have never played a Thief game but I do enjoy stealth games like Deus Ex and Splinter Cell. What are your thoughts on the series?

Please, give them a try one day. You will not regret it. I regard the first three games as the absolute pinnacle of stealth games. Audio design, dynamic and moody soundtrack, atmosphere, humor, plot twists, and map design are still unmatched in many ways.

I'll repost these two great in-depth videos as well:

10/10 games, easily.

A new GVMERS video! I have never played a Thief game but I do enjoy stealth games like Deus Ex and Splinter Cell. What are your thoughts on the series?

I played about 2/3 through Thief: The Dark Project.

It's a game whose design stands the test of time IMO. How much of that is because gaming has let graphics hold design back is probably up for discussion.

Graphically, even at the time Thief wasn't a huge looker. However, it more than compensated with its audio, as well as its huge reliance on manipulating lighting and shadows.

Levels tend to be complex 3D spaces that you can navigate quite freely and some of them get really sprawling later on.

The multiple difficulty levels go from accomplishing a simple objective (get in, steal item) to really challenging ones (get in, alert nobody, kill nobody, get item, get out, get 1500 gold worth of loot...).

The entire level stays in the state in which you leave it in, so if you opened a door early on, it doesn't close unless a guard closes it and starts getting suspicious...

I'm definitely leaving out a lot more details so I'm looking forward to reading more posts later from those who know better.

On a sidenote, it'd be great if Nightdive Studios decided to bring the classic Thief games to current consoles :D

Edit: Removed apostrophe.

Last edited:
Please, give them a try one day. You will not regret it. I regard the first three games as the absolute pinnacle of stealth games. Audio design, dynamic and moody soundtrack, atmosphere, humor, plot twists, and map design are still unmatched in many ways.

10/10 games, easily.

If I recall, the first Thief was a big poster child for buying a soundcard back in the day (Soundblaster AWE64 baby)

10/10 games, easily.

It does look interesting and often times good sound design and atmosphere really helps me enjoy games more than usual. I'll check those videos out too.

I played about 2/3 through Thief: The Dark Project.

It's a game whose design stands the test of time IMO. How much of that is because gaming has let graphics hold design back is probably up for discussion.

Graphically, even at the time Thief wasn't a huge looker. However, it more than compensated with its audio, as well as its huge reliance on manipulating lighting and shadows.

Levels tend to be complex 3D spaces that you can navigate quite freely and some of them get really sprawling later on.

The multiple difficulty levels go from accomplishing a simple objective (get in, steal item) to really challenging ones (get in, alert nobody, kill nobody, get item, get out, get 1500 gold worth of loot...).

The entire level stays in the state in which you leave it in, so if you opened a door early on, it doesn't close unless a guard closes it and starts getting suspicious...

I'm definitely leaving out a lot more details so I'm looking forward to reading more posts later from those who know better.

On a sidenote, it'd be great if Nightdive Studios decided to bring the classic Thief games to current consoles :D

Edit: Removed apostrophe.
Yeah, it sounds like Thief introduced elements that other stealth franchises more of less implemented into their titles, such as enemies, objects, doors and such remaining where you left them and how the A.I. reacts. That kind of stuff is always cool.

Last edited:
It does look interesting and often times good sound design and atmosphere really helps me enjoy games more than usual. I'll check those videos out too.

Yeah, it sounds like Thief introduced elements that other stealth franchises more of less implemented into their titles, such as enemies, objects, doors and such remaining where you left them and how the A.I. reacts. That kind of stuff is always cool.
I was so preoccupied writing my own thoughts earlier that I forgot to just link you to the wonderful LTTP for the series right here on GAF itself:

It's interesting cause back then having enemy bodies not disappear upon death was something I took for granted, mainly because of Doom. I used to just let bodies pile up in the final stage of Doom II and let Arch Viles run all over the place resurrecting those that died from infighting, with cheat codes on of course! :D

Also, Looking Glass Studios was one of the quintessential gems amongst developers back in the 90s; they could do no wrong when it came to making good games.

Loved the original trilogy. The latest game abandoned most of what made the series good lore-wise and came up with a dumb plot in a generic grimdark setting. The game did have some redeeming qualities mostly from graphics and production value, Garret controlled pretty well iirc, but the rest was from meh to bad. The game came out early in the generation, and the engine was poorly implemented and had to use a ton of fake loading sections that made it really annoying to navigate. Then there was the incessant hand-holding UI and batvision that made sure that there was never any sense of exploration unless you turned it off, and then you'd be fucked because the game expected it to be on. The game designers pretty much removed/ruined any immersive sim elements from the previous games and what was left was a mess of modern game design elements.

I think VR would be the obvious route to maybe resurrect this franchise. After playing HL:A I think Thief would be the perfect fit for the VR given its reliance on slow pacing and immersion. Even then I'd be wary of pushing too much into rifling through drawers for silverware, that was never that fun in any game.

Last edited:
I played thief when it originally launched on ps4. The game's supernatural elements towards the second half were stellar, but boy oh boy the loading time from one area to another was horrendous. Seriously broke the gameplay flow in it :( just not fun!

Zannegan

I've only played Thief 3, which I picked up on a whim used at a game store. Freaking fantastic game. Clumsy and of its time, but it had some amazing ideas, and the Asylum level... let's just say it really paid things off for folks who had been reading all the little scraps of paper lying around. Great stuff.

Loved the original trilogy. The latest game abandoned most of what made the series good lore-wise and came up with a dumb plot in a generic grimdark setting. The game did have some redeeming qualities mostly from graphics and production value, Garret controlled pretty well iirc, but the rest was from meh to bad. The game came out early in the generation, and the engine was poorly implemented and had to use a ton of fake loading sections that made it really annoying to navigate. Then there was the incessant hand-holding UI and batvision that made sure that there was never any sense of exploration unless you turned it off, and then you'd be fucked because the game expected it to be on. The game designers pretty much removed/ruined any immersive sim elements from the previous games and what was left was a mess of modern game design elements.

I think VR would be the obvious route to maybe resurrect this franchise. After playing HL:A I think Thief would be the perfect fit for the VR given its reliance on slow pacing and immersion. Even then I'd be wary of pushing too much into rifling through drawers for silverware, that was never that fun in any game.
A VR game could have potential.

I have the first two games on Steam and will give them a playthrough.

I didnt mind the newest Thief that much. It was kinda bland but what I really miss is proper stealth games like this. For example I dont find Hitman to be a stealth game. Yes its an undercover stealth type but I prefer games where literally you are not allowed to be seen at all. I like that slow pace and silent kills etc.

Top Bottom