• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rock (1996) writer shocked film may have inspired false WMD intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie7

Banned
GoYzPxx.jpg

David Weisberg, who co-wrote 1996 thriller which Chilcot inquiry suspected to be source for crucial yet false details about Iraq’s nerve gas resource, says he was dismayed experts didn’t realise green balls of gas were fabrication.

The man behind 1996 thriller The Rock has expressed his amazement a key detail from the plot was apparently used by an intelligence agent to fabricate evidence which aided the case for the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Speaking to the Guardian on Friday, David Weisberg, who co-scripted the Sean Connery/Nicolas Cage hit with late writing partner Douglas Cook, said the green glass globes feared to be central to the agent’s evidence were “complete fabrication … pure invention” designed to try and add visual excitement to an dull technology.

The Chilcot report, published on Wednesday, found that Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service was led to understand Saddam Hussein’s regime was continuing to produce weapons of mass destruction based, in part, on the testimony of a source said to have “direct access”.

This information, revealed in September 2002, claimed intensive anthrax production was underway in the country. Chilcot’s findings reported that questions were raised after “t was pointed out that glass containers were not typically used in chemical munitions, and that a popular movie [The Rock] had inaccurately depicted nerve agents being carried in glass beads or spheres”.

However, despite MI6 concluding a month before the invasion that the source had been lying “over a period of time”, they failed to inform Tony Blair “or others” that the veracity of the evidence presented was in any doubt.

“What was so amazing,” said Weisberg, “was anybody in the poison gas community would immediately know that this was total bullshit – such obvious bullshit.”

“What was so amazing,” said Weisberg, “was anybody in the poison gas community would immediately know that this was total bullshit – such obvious bullshit.”

This made me lol thinking its like Zelda fans but substitute neurotoxins.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My wife would say I'm part of the poison gas community

Knuckles fo lief.

The amazing part of the Chilcott report is it's just officially saying the same stuff EVERYONE was saying as the shitty patchwork of lies was being laid out.

The biggest offenders (besides Bush, Blair, Cheney and Rumsfeld, obviously) was the press, who completely abdicated its responsibility and in some cases abetted the biggest single crime of the 21st century. A crime that ironically dwarfed the 9/11 attacks it was morphed into a response to. And arguably ruined the world in a significant and long lasting fashion.

Bush, Blair, Cheney and Rumsfeld should all be in prison. They knew precisely what they were doing and continue to lie about it to this day as if it was a catastrophe caused by bad intelligence, instead of the other way around.

Hermii

Thus would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.The fact that there's zero accountability makes it eve worse. Also makes it harder to believe "intelligence reports" about anything else.

Machina

Banned
I think the false intelligence surrounding Iraq was more Bush being an opportunistic cunt who had to ask another opportunistic cunt in Dick Cheney how he should actually proceed being an opportunistic cunt.

Shocking that the intelligence community had solid evidence that there was no real evidence of WMDs in Iraq prior to the invasion

Shocking

poison gas community

So that's got to just be like a monthly meeting or something right?

A facebook group would seem like a bad idea...

koji kabuto

That's very sad, Iraq was totally destroyed millions have been killed/wounded or abandoned their homes and cities....and at the end the evidence to justify it was inspired by a movie.

Wow I just realized that one of the script writers for the Rock would've served as a more objective fact-checker on the case of going to war in Iraq than MI6

Many years ago, I co-wrote a thriller novel. My co-author, a cop/former military, was discussing the novel's plot at a baseball game with a friend of his. An eavesdropper reported the conversation to authorities and it was thought there was going to an attack on a nuclear power plant in southern California. This was a year after the first World Trade Center bombing. A counter-terrorism team was created and assigned this mission. Time passed and of course nothing happened so it was dismissed as false. My co-author learned of this when he was later contacted by another friend who had read our book and recognized the plot from some briefing he'd read.

SKINNER!

Banned
British Politics ladies and gentlemen. Sure it's all suits and coloured ties from the outside but inside they're just as dumb as every other politician on this planet. You're not alone USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom