• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Room - The Soundtrack

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't wait any longer for this game to be released here, but at least this will ease the wait. If you'd rather I do not post a link, I'll take it down in a snap...but I really wanted to hear some discussion on this one.

http://torrentbox.com/download.php/5298/Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 4 OST.zip.torrent

I haven't listened to everything yet, but it seems like the soundtrack takes some time to pick up. After track 9, it really starts to kick ass...but the first tracks are a bit underwhelming (though still cool).

dark10x

DSN2K said:
im going to play the game first before getting this ;)

I was considering that, but really, all SH soundtracks (aside from the original's) have little to do with the game itself. They generally are designed to be listened to and do not include a lot of game specific audio.

I REALLY wish I could play imported PS2 titles as I would buy The Room right now. I will need a Japanese PS2 in about 7-8 months, but I'd rather just buy an original rather than chipping my current US machine. So, I just have to wait. Regardless, I'd probably prefer it on XBOX anyways (for 480p).

dark10x

Katcher said:
Yep, its encoded at low quality 128kbps. The sountrack itself sucks too.

I didn't like it that much my first time through, but I'm really enjoying it now. And yes, it is only 128kbps. A higher quality version should appear soon enough, though.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I want to listen to it, but the quality is making me refrain from listening to more tracks. I'm not an audiophile or anything but it just doesn't sound like a clean rip

Is it the full soundtrack? Because maskrider said there's a sample CD basically and then you have the real one that's 34 songs long.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It has all 22 tracks from the real OST. The actual OST has 2 cds though, but the 2nd cd is just some dramatic story telling thing and not really a soundtrack. The torrent contains the full 22 tracks from the 1st cd, it's no sample

01 Tender Sugar
02 Waverer
03 Fortunate sleep - noone disturb her dead
04 Melancholy Requiem
05 Confinement
06 Drops Of Shame
07 The Suicidal Clock Chime
08 Silent Circus
09 Traversing The Portals Of Reality
10 Into The Depths Of Self-Discovery
11 Cradel Of Forest
12 Resting Comfortably
13 Nightmarish Waltz
14 Pulsating Ambience
15 Your Rain
16 The Last Mariachi
17 Wounded Warsong
18 Underground Dawn - Never Come
19 Fever Chill
20 Remodeling
21 Room Of Angel
22 Waiting For You ~LIVE AT "Heaven's Night"~(unreleased tunes)

I like it more than SH3 for one main reason...It sounds like Silent Hill music again. I like SH3's music alot, but it seemed to drop the distorted banging on metal, scratching surfaces type sound that the series had been known for. It also seemed to drop the heavy triphop sound the series had for a more rock sound. SH4's brings that back, while still having the style of music that made up SH3's soundtrack.

Tender Sugar, Waverer, Confinement, Drops of Silence, Traversing the Portals, Into the Depths of Self Discovery, Nightmarish Walts, The Last Mariachi, Fever Chill, Remodeling, Room of Angel and Waiting for You are all top notch. Especially Tender Sugar, Confinement, Fever Chill and Waiting for You. I'd like to know what game Waiting for You was suppose to be in though. Silent Hill 2 is the only SH where Heavens Night played a significant role in. Lyrically it kinda sounds like it could be referring to James and Mary.

SH4 > SH2 > SH3 > SH1 in terms of OST's.

teiresias

OK, Track 20, "Remodeling."

There's a repeating sample in there that sounds like it's straight out of that "milkshake" song, and I was half expecting some demonic voice to be all like, "My milkshake brings all the demons to the yard, and they're like it's grosser than yours, damn right it's grosser than yours, I can teach you, but I'll have to charge."

Ranger X

teiresias said:
"My milkshake brings all the demons to the yard, and they're like it's grosser than yours, damn right it's grosser than yours, I can teach you, but I'll have to charge."

Oh man i had to comment...

[off topic] ---- this is the single most shitty song ever. Bad music, extremely bad lyrics. Hip-hop music will never go lower than this one, it's simply amazingly impossible. ---- [/off topic]

Wario64 said:
#gamemp3s has released a rip. as well as the 2nd CD that's missing in the first torrent-
I'm looking for the scary, industrial "music"... is that on the second disc?

Edit: Sorry Wario, missed that in your earlier post. Anyway.... WAAAH, where's the creepy?!?

silenttwn

The series got worse in the music catagory as it went on. While this music is probably good atmosphere stuff, it isn't as well composed or as brilliant as the first two games' soundtracks. The first soundtrack is absolutely brilliant, and it's even better in the game (there were a few track omissions). I really don't like the fourth soundtrack at all except maybe a few of the vocal tracks. The best song in the series is still the first song from the first game, "Silent Hill." Akira hasn't been able to touch that, but there are a lot more regular songs in SH2 that come close. SH3.. meh.. SH4... blargh. Konami needs to restore the series to its former glory.

silenttwn said:
The series got worse in the music catagory as it went on. While this music is probably good atmosphere stuff, it isn't as well composed or as brilliant as the first two games' soundtracks. QUOTE]

You've got it backwards. The music in SH1 and SH2 were basically nothing but atmospheric music. Not too many songs could be listened to stand alone because it was just atmosphere music, like banging on stuff and scraping. There was no real pattern to them. The music now is more trip hop slanted which was Yamaoka's intention for the series the whole time. It still has the banging and scraping, it's just much more evened out with the actual songs and the atmospheric stuff.

dark10x

silenttwn said:
The series got worse in the music catagory as it went on. While this music is probably good atmosphere stuff, it isn't as well composed or as brilliant as the first two games' soundtracks. The first soundtrack is absolutely brilliant, and it's even better in the game (there were a few track omissions). I really don't like the fourth soundtrack at all except maybe a few of the vocal tracks. The best song in the series is still the first song from the first game, "Silent Hill." Akira hasn't been able to touch that, but there are a lot more regular songs in SH2 that come close. SH3.. meh.. SH4... blargh. Konami needs to restore the series to its former glory.

Couldn't disagree more. SH1 is the only Silent Hill soundtrack that I have which generally remains un-listened to...

It sounds great in game, but it is not good for listening. Silent Hill 2 was much better in that regard, but still a bit too ambient. 3 and 4 offer MUCH better soundtracks...

All four of the games sound absolutely incredible IN game, though...

silenttwn

SolidSnakex said:
Not too many songs could be listened to stand alone because it was just atmosphere music, like banging on stuff and scraping. There was no real pattern to them. The music now is more trip hop slanted which was Yamaoka's intention for the series the whole time. It still has the banging and scraping, it's just much more evened out with the actual songs and the atmospheric stuff.

No, I don't have it backwards. That "banging and scraping" was way more interesting and original to listen to for me and wasn't as generic as the stuff that has been coming from Silent Hill 3 and on. The original soundtrack was also more atmospheric than any of the sequels, in and out of the game. Silent Hill 2 was probably the perfect balance of regular style music and the atmosphere score tracks.

silenttwn said:
No, I don't have it backwards. That "banging and scraping" was way more interesting and original to listen to for me and wasn't as generic as the stuff that has been coming from Silent Hill 3 and on. The original soundtrack was also more atmospheric than any of the sequels, in and out of the game. Silent Hill 2 was probably the perfect balance of regular style music and the atmosphere score tracks.

It might be original, but that doesn't make it better. Yamaoka said some of the earlier problems with the music in the series is that he only thought of it in the perspective of being atmospheric. He wants to make the music now where it's both atmospheric and something people would enjoy listening to over and over. SH1 and SH2 has alot of just atmospheric music, but it does have alot of really standout songs.

He also said he was tired of vocal songs in games sounding like stuff that people wouldn't listen to outside of gaming and so he made it his goal to produce vocal songs that you couldn't really tell was from a game and that people could listen to in their car or on their headphones. So that might be where the "generic" aspect comes from because it sounds more like music you'dhear on the radio rather than stuff only in games. Although even the regular songs from the original 2 SH's would sound pretty generic if you listened to alot of trip hop because that's what he was basing the sounds off of.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So there's a real place called Heaven's Night?

LIVE [SILENT HILL ~No way to escape~] 2003.9.21
Club "Heaven's Night"
2121 Carroll St., South Vale, ME

Are there any images of this place? Was the club based on the game or did Team Silent take the club and put it in the game? Or is it just some studio..?

Top Bottom