• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ryu number: Street Fighter X Kevin Bacon

paulogy

Ryu
Byron Mann (Street Fighter movie)
Denise Richards (Blonde and Blonder)
Kevin Bacon (Wild Things)
Alec Baldwin (She's Having A Baby)
Andrew Goldfarb (30 Rock)
Colin Moriarty (IGN)
NeoGAF
You

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I tried to connect Goku to Ryu but didn't have any success, I started with J-Stars Victory VS and then tried to find my way to Ryu but couldn't.

DreamMix TV World Fighter's to the rescue!

Ryu fought Mario in Smash 4 who fought Solid Snake in Brawl who fought either Power Pro-Kun or Moai in DreamMix who both had a Yu-Gi-Oh card based on them (Ultimate Baseball Kid and Statue of Easter Island/Moai Interceptor Cannon respectively) and thus, at one point in any of the numerous Yu-Gi-Oh games with them included, Yugi himself could have possibly fought against and then, to finish things off, Yugi fought Goku in Jump Super Stars.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm not inclined to count Boxer/Balrog/Bison as Mike Tyson, but if you count non-playable bosses, Tyson still has a Ryu number of 2 via Little Mac.
My mistake, I indeed meant Punch-Out and a Ryu number of 2.

I think our focus should be convincing Mike Tyson to co-author a paper.

PSqueak

Banned
DreamMix TV World Fighter's to the rescue!

Ryu fought Mario in Smash 4 who fought Solid Snake in Brawl who fought either Power Pro-Kun or Moai in DreamMix who both had a Yu-Gi-Oh card based on them (Ultimate Baseball Kid and Statue of Easter Island/Moai Interceptor Cannon respectively) and thus, at one point in any of the numerous Yu-Gi-Oh games with them included, Yugi himself could have possibly fought against and then, to finish things off, Yugi fought Goku in Jump Super Stars.

Shorter one:

Ryu fought Mario in Smash 4, Mario appeared alongside Goku in a Super Famicon Commercial.

Megatron

- Spawn's Ryu number is 3. While Heihachi (1, Street Fighter X Tekken) and Link (1, SSB4) both appeared in Soulcalibur II, they were exclusive to different versions and therefore never directly shared a roster with Spawn, necessitating an additional connection via the Soulcalibur cast.

- Luke Skywalker's Ryu number is at most 4: Ryu (SSB4) – Link (Soulcalibur II, GCN) – Nightmare (Soulcalibur IV) – Darth Vader (Masters of Teräs Käsi) – Luke.

You're inconsistent here. You're saying you can't count SC2 directly because Spawn wasn't in all versions, but you are counting it for Link who also wasn't in more versions. (Spawn was in more versions, actually since he's in the HD version on PS3 and 360)

Also

I note with profound regret that Padmé Amidala has not appeared in a Star Wars fighting game, or Natalie Portman would lay claim to the ultimate rarity, the nontrivial Ryu–Bacon–Erdős number

Why are we limiting this to fighting games? Padme has I'm assuming, appeared in tons of Star Wars games, so can't the connection be that way? With the Kevin Bacon thing we say movies, not Action Movies or Dramas.

Also when connecting real people, would you only connect them if they actually voiced the characters themselves? If you're going to connect real people, I suppose to get Natalie Portman to Ryu you could do:

The aforementioned batman path: Ryu-Dante-Kratos-Scorpion-Batman, then Joker in Arkham Assylum who is voiced by Mark Hamil, then Star Wars episode 4 -for Hamil and C3P0 then Star Wars Episode 1 for Portman and C3P0

Ryu to

exfatal

BigBadBeetleborgs.jpg
cant find a connection to ryu with these bad asses

Mandoric

Banned
There's no League of Legends connections, either. It's very insular.

There are a handful of trails to follow, depending on how loose you're willing to play.

- Assist (items): there's still one League item named after a DotA character; this breaks you out into DotA which gets you at least to Blizzard games in general. There have been several items named after Touhou characters and one directly borrowed skin/ability set as well, and one named after TotalBiscuit as part of the old referral rewards program, both of which open up swathes of indie development.
- "Kind of" the same character - also DotA, as they share a Monkey King with a similar skillset.

Both of these may be able to break out further, among other paths, through Lina Inverse.

- Any incarnation of a god counts - Monkey King again, which also gets you into Jump licensed fighters via Son Goku.

So, by this all LoL characters have a maximum Ryu number of 4 in terms of straight-up fighting each other in a PvP combat game: Fought with the Monkey King, who fought with with Naruto in Jump Ultimate Stars, who fought with Lars in Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, who fought with Ryu in SFxT.

Colin Firth was in Blackadder Back & Forth as William Shakespeare. Can someone connect Shakespeare to Ryu?

Might be possible, but Colin Firth actually already has an Erdős-Bacon number.

You're inconsistent here. You're saying you can't count SC2 directly because Spawn wasn't in all versions, but you are counting it for Link who also wasn't in more versions. (Spawn was in more versions, actually since he's in the HD version on PS3 and 360)

We're only counting characters who have fought Ryu directly, meaning that since Spawn and Link never fought each other in SoulCalibur by dint of being in different versions of the game, we have to add one extra step (Spawn fought Nightmare fought Link for example).

Why are we limiting this to fighting games? Padme has I'm assuming, appeared in tons of Star Wars games, so can't the connection be that way? With the Kevin Bacon thing we say movies, not Action Movies or Dramas.

Also when connecting real people, would you only connect them if they actually voiced the characters themselves? If you're going to connect real people, I suppose to get Natalie Portman to Ryu you could do:

The aforementioned batman path: Ryu-Dante-Kratos-Scorpion-Batman, then Joker in Arkham Assylum who is voiced by Mark Hamil, then Star Wars episode 4 -for Hamil and C3P0 then Star Wars Episode 1 for Portman and C3P0

I just think we're limiting the video game aspect to fighting games because that's what the OP proposed, i.e. characters who have fought each other. But even taking that into account your example works, except that instead of using the character of C3PO you'd use Anthony Daniels, who played the character.

Ryu number = characters who fought each other in official crossovers (if I understood the OP correctly)
Bacon number = co-starring or co-working credits (I believe you can do things like A starred in X, B did the music for X and Y, C directed Y and Z, Kevin Bacon starred in Z so A has a Bacon number of 4). Basically as long as they share a credit it works, so VO work counts.
Erdős number = co-authorship credits for academic papers.

Ryu connects to Mario in Smash 4. He connects to the Rabbids thanks to the new game. The Rabbids were in TMNT: Smash Up. The Turtles had a crossover with the Power Rangers in Space. Several characters from Power Rangers Turbo appeared in that series, who fought the Beetle Borgs in Power Rangers Turbo vs. Beetleborgs Metallix.

Ryu-Mario-Rabbids-TMNT-Power Rangers-Beetle Borgs

J-Tier

Still having trouble understanding what the hell is going on.
It's kind of like a social network tree. For example, I know you, you know this garbage man, this garbage man knows Taylor Swift, Taylor Swift knows Kanye, Kanye knows this pan-peddler in India.

So I'm 5 connections and you're 4 away from the pan-peddler in India.

We're doing the same thing with Ryu, since he's prolific when it comes to crossing over. You're hard pressed to find very many things not connected to Ryu.

Still having trouble understanding what the hell is going on.

It's based on a game people like to play called Six Degrees of Separation, usually from Kevin Bacon. In which you pick an actor and then, via movies shared with other actors, try to work your way to a connection with Kevin Bacon within six moves.

Like, for example, Al Pachino. He was in Scarface with Charles Durning who was in Starting Over with Kevin Bacon. So he's got a Bacon score of 2.

Look at it this way: Link fights Ivy. Spawn fights Ivy. Link does not fight Spawn. Therefore, it's two steps from Link (or Heihachi) to Spawn if you go through Soulcalibur II, but all three of them are one step from the regular Soulcalibur roster.

Like I said in a follow-up post, we can come up with a number of different schemes for what counts as a link, some of them more stringent than others (I rather like the terminology "fierce/strong/jab" for connections of different strengths). They all produce interesting results. If you only count fighting games, it's actually pretty interesting that you can still get to so many characters all across mass media in just a few steps. If you don't just count fighting games, or if you don't even limit yourself to characters who fight each other in any context at all, you bring in just about the whole industry (plus a startling number of real-world figures). I find all of these perspectives illuminating in their own way.

Anyway, the Padmé point is moot, since someone else up the thread established that there is indeed a Natalie Portman character with a "fierce" Ryu number solely from partaking in fighting games, that being Jane Foster from Thor.

This is easy...

Ryu fought Jill Valentine (MvC3 version) who is voiced by Patricia Ja Lee in Resident Evil 5. Patricia Ja Lee is the Pink ranger in Power Rangers Turbo. The Power Ranger Turbo team faces off against the Beetleborgs in the comic Power Rangers Turbo vs. Beetleborgs Metallix.

PSqueak

Banned
- Luke Skywalker's Ryu number is at most 4: Ryu (SSB4) – Link (Soulcalibur II, GCN) – Nightmare (Soulcalibur IV) – Darth Vader (Masters of Teräs Käsi) – Luke.

Ryu -> Captain America (Vs series ) -> Luke Skywalker (Disney Infinity 3.0)

There's no League of Legends connections, either. It's very insular.

Let me make a stretch:

Final Boss Veigar says "suffer like G did" meaning he knows G from house of the Dead -> G fought Curien in House of the Dead -> Curien Created Zobyo and Zobiko -> Zobyo and Zobiko raced with Sonic in All Stars Racing -> Sonic fought Ryu in Smash.

Top Bottom