• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Rez said:
yeah, the amount of people with 'review copies' of DS games on GAF always seems to be suspiciously high.

I'm not talking about review copies. I thought some retailers broke the street date.

Blizzard

Banned
kamorra said:
But couldn't it be from your own legit game? I mean some guys do already have the game.
Yes, but I'm just guessing that the chances of ripping the ROM from your own legally purchased game (if you live in NYC and got lucky) and then ripping the word list are pretty low, as opposed to someone distributing the ROM, and then people who know how ripping the word list.

And yes, people could have legit copies, but as of now we have confirmation of a few stories in NYC and maybe one store in Florida that have the game. I tried calling a bunch of stores tonight with no success, and the chances of anyone posting impressions on here actually having a legit game without telling where they got it are pretty doggone low. And I was under the impression that according to the terms of usage someone quoted earlier, we're not even supposed to discuss the results of watching a feed of somene playing a pirated game. *shrug*

Xizer

Banned
Longcat always wins. Polar bears are no match.

Also, dinosaurs are afraid of bees.

And zombies can kill God.

Blizzard said:
It's almost like I predicted people to complain about simplistic puzzles and horrible controls after they play the ROM which is leaked early! (I think I predicted something quite similar a week or more ago)

Brushing off somebody's opinion just because they pirated a game is pretty stupid. One would think that because they got the game for free they'd be less inclined to complain about any shortcomings they encountered (they didn't spend money on it, so why care if it's busted, right?).

An opinion is an opinion - no matter what source it comes from. Just because he may or may not have pirated the game does not deny him the ability to form a preference regarding simplistic puzzles or frustrating controls. Nor does it mean his preference is invalidated. He has played the game, he apparently knows what's up, and he's telling the world about it. Welcome to the internet.

Blizzard

Banned
Sega1991 said:
Brushing off somebody's opinion just because they pirated a game is pretty stupid. One would think that because they got the game for free they'd be less inclined to complain about any shortcomings they encountered (they didn't spend money on it, so why care if it's busted, right?).

An opinion is an opinion - no matter what source it comes from. Just because he may or may not have pirated the game does not deny him the ability to form a preference regarding simplistic puzzles or frustrating controls. Nor does it mean his preference is invalidated. He has played the game, he apparently knows what's up, and he's telling the world about it. Welcome to the internet.
Yup, welcome to the internet. I imagine there's also a lot of hate speech on the internet, and a lot of people pirating software, and a lot of other nasty things, so that's not really a justification.

At any rate, on this forum, there are explicit rules (quoted earlier in this thread) about using/mentioning stuff from pirated games. :) I don't mean to brush away his opinion, I just cynically suspected that people would pirate it, play it early, and scare people away from the game.

To be clear, someone's opinion and preferences may be valid, but they're not welcome here if they pirated the game to get them. This is in theory a forum and a thread where we talk about the game, what's good about it, bad about it, and support the publisher if we like it. In theory, it's not one where people talk about stuff after breaking laws. *end obnoxious high horse*

In practice, it's one where people break the law but are "smart" enough not to mention it.

There sure is a lot of doom and gloom in that SA post. The entire post sounds like "this game didn't meet my hyped expectations", which I feel will be a common issue for most people.

I haven't played the game yet, though I have many friends who pirated it. And yeah, that's a pretty common term for "I pirated it but I don't want the lawmen to know", but seriously, only my friends have touched it. I don't want to until I get my retail copy. I even went so far as to ask each of them not to tell me a damn thing about the levels or words in it. Hell, I suspend myself until Tuesday on a (pirate ridden) forum I go to.

Point is, their reactions have been mixed, and it seems the people who had high expectations seem almost COMPELLED to bitch about things. It's weird. Like, I have a buddy who goes out of his way to tell me what doesn't work and how the game is "already boring" and all this nonsense. Yet he keeps playing it! Then I have friends who either kept expectations low or didn't know about the game (more likely) and they're loving it.

Either way, reading other people's impressions is driving me crazy. I just need to get my hands on the game already.

HUELEN10 said:
Wal-Mart is great for getting games in early sometimes. I got Wario Ware Inc almost a full week before release back in 2003. The rest is history...:D
Ehh, technology thwarts this too. Multiple times I have seen something early, but the register realizes it and won't let them sell it to me. Trying to get Wii Sports Resort a day early, it went as far as to say the game was being recalled.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Alivor said:
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but GAF is in the game. You write GAF, and it spawns the logo! :D
haha, nice

bounchfx

post 217 is going to have a huge backlash on the day this game comes out
just a prediction.. I'm still buying the game!

shaowebb

Check out what I just found out gafers!

hadroncollider.jpg

If you type Hadron collider then turn it on it explodes and creates a tiny blackhole that kills everything!

I love this game.

Also checkout this moment I had.

ezo7s6.jpg

Fuck yeah....D and Anubis fighting.

Ramenman

Edit : wait, people are posting screens and stuff, is it out early somewhere or what ?

SirPenguin said:
it seems the people who had high expectations seem almost COMPELLED to bitch about things. It's weird. Like, I have a buddy who goes out of his way to tell me what doesn't work and how the game is "already boring" and all this nonsense. Yet he keeps playing it! Then I have friends who either kept expectations low or didn't know about the game (more likely) and they're loving it.

Either way, reading other people's impressions is driving me crazy. I just need to get my hands on the game already.

You must mean just like every game ever released ? That's an annoying truth though, I agree D:

Still, nothing surprising.

MNC

Fuck, so this got leaked? :( Hope it won't hurt sales too much, 5th Cell deserves the praise and sales.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
MNC said:
Fuck, so this got leaked? :( Hope it won't hurt sales too much, 5th Cell deserves the praise and sales.

Every game ever gets leaked before release. If your game doesn't then... fuck. I just don't know what to think.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gomu Gomu said:
Anyone saying he played that game should take a picture to prove that he bought/owns the game. This is getting ridiculous.
Hear, hear

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
MNC said:
MNC
natis eius perfluit
(Today, 10:14 AM)
Reply | Quote

I love any time you talk about stuff getting leaked.

Ramenman

Gomu Gomu said:
Anyone saying he played that game should take a picture to prove that he bought/owns the game. This is getting ridiculous.

Well I'm surprised this isn't requested by the mods this time, as it was my belief that you always had to do this if posting impressions of a game prior to release. I even seem to remember some banning threats / ultimatums for people who didn't bring proof they had a legit copy in another game's thread prior to release a while ago (I think it was before the Japanese launch of the DS Crystal Chronicles game, but I'm not sure).

Amir0x

Banned
shaowebb said:

If you type Hadron collider then turn it on it explodes and creates a tiny blackhole that kills everything!

I love this game.

Screengrabbing from an emulator, hm? Yeah.

Post a picture of your copy or banned in hour. You guys are motherfuckin' bold.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Rez said:
that's been my fear since I first started reading up on this game.

I don't want to be the annoying contrarian in this thread just for the sake of it, but the actual act of playing the game just doesn't look like that much fun to me.

I'm going to buy this, regardless, but yeah, my hype-o-metre is no where near as high as most of GAF.
This is pretty much how I felt about it. The concept is really novel and impressively executed though, and keeping in mind I like Incredible Machine types of games after all, I'll still probably enjoy it much past the first 20 minutes of screwing around.

-PXG-

Well, I would if I could.

Mine was legit, but it was a friend's copy here at school. He wanted it back, since he went home for weekend. Most people go home on the weekends here, it seems. I'm all alone :(

Again, I really hope I can go to NYC tomorrow and pick it up. It's going to be so hard not being able to play it today ;___;

Volcynika

My brother ordered a copy, but I can't play it until he gets to (which won't be till at least next Saturday). It'll just be here Tuesday and sitting there!

Good thing I have tons of other games to get through.

ethelred

Cat in the Hat said:
It's only 30 bucks you assholes

Only 15$ at Toys R Us!

That being said...
Rez said:
I don't want to be the annoying contrarian in this thread just for the sake of it, but the actual act of playing the game just doesn't look like that much fun to me.

Yeah. No offense to anyone here (I know you guys take some of this stuff personally), but this game has always struck me as way too much like Drawn to Life from the start. Drawn to Life sounded interesting when they came up with a neat defining gimmick for it, but then they basically neglected to design a good game around that. "Oh, cool, you can draw your avatar in this 2D platformer... but the platformer itself isn't any good." The premise of Scribblenauts has always sounded interesting, but I've always been concerned about the game built around the central premise. A lot of the stuff I've been reading and watching makes it seem creative, but not that fun to play.

I was originally going to pass on the game, but then when the TRU offer surfaced, I figured, hey, half off, might as well bite. But... I think I'm back to not planning on buying it again.

-PXG- said:
Well, I would if I could.

Mine was legit, but it was a friend's copy here at school. He wanted it back, since he went home for weekend. Most people go home on the weekends here, it seems. I'm all alone :(

Again, I really hope I can go to NYC tomorrow and pick it up. It's going to be so hard not being able to play it today ;___;
-PXG-
-liar-
(Today, 10:58 AM)
Reply | Quote

I'm just joking, I couldn't help myself.

ethelred said:
Only 15$ at Toys R Us!

That being said...
Yeah I forgot about that, nice. I forgot about that, TRU it is

I hope there won't be too much backlash for the game. I mean the hype it gets here can only lead to disappointment. Just go into with a happy go lucky attidtude not a this "better be the greatest thing ever". It's a cheap DS game so all it needs to do for me, is be fun. I'll be perfectly happy with that.

Cat in the Hat said:
I hope there won't be too much backlash for the game. I mean the hype it gets here can only lead to disappointment. Just go into with a happy go lucky attidtude not a this "better be the greatest thing ever". It's a cheap DS game so all it needs to do for me, is be fun. I'll be perfectly happy with that.

The hype here is about how much wacky stuff you can do with the game.
Why people are complaining about the "simplicity" of the puzzles is just boggling.
I mean, the puzzles are just a means to an end, the meat is in finding out just what you can do in the game.

Forkball

shaowebb said:

I love this game.

At least you'll now have plenty of time to play your pirated copy during your ban.

Nintendo World Store Trip Details:

Address: 10 Rockefeller Plaza.
Store opens at 11 AM. We should try and reach by 10.45, in case there is a crowd.

Closest Subway Stations:
B, D, F, V (Corner of 48th and 6th Ave.)
E, V (53rd and 5th Ave.)

Where to meet:
PRONTO PIZZA: 32 W 48th Street.
Its between Scott's Food Court and Plaza Arcade and has a Green awning.
Here is a photo so that you can recognize it better.

How to Co-ordinate:
If everyone would send me a PM with their phone numbers and contact email which they check most frequently, and thus WILL check this evening, I will send an email to everyone with all the contact details. Do it ASAP please. That way even if we are late, we can stay in touch and coordinate. If you dont want to do so, thats fine as well.

Updated list:

iamcool388 said:
I thought i'll make a list of people going to be in NYC for the Scribblenauts event at the Nintendo World Store. Just post if you're gonna be there, and I will add your name to the list.

The Boss Men:
1. Jackson aka Jeremiah
2. Edy
3. Marius
4. Joe
5. Other 5th Cellers, as yet unnamed?

Courageous Scribblenauts:
1. iamcool388
2. Dacvak (I'll probably be wearing a black sports jacket with either a t-shirt or polo shirt on under it.)
3. Jow Shlabotnik
4. GregLombardi
5. Vyse The Legend
6. WowBaby (Dont forget to say hello to his son and wish him a speedy recovery!)
7. atomsk
8. jrricky
9. -PXG- (look for a black dude in a black and gold hoody and a tan messenger back.)
10. ShinoguTakeruKoeru (the skinny chinese guy in dire need of a haircut.) :lol :lol
11. Poweld + friends (look for the tallish Jewboy with curly hair) :D
12. AzureJericho (just be on the lookout for a tall black guy wearing matching brown or blue.)
13. Jipan (I'll be wearing white and black Puma sneakers and a brown necklace with amber and silver beads that have spikes (no I'm not goth), also I'll be sporting a camera either around my neck in a bag.)
14. ChuckyChick (I'll be the girl in the fedora walking around with a poster)

It would be nice to have a bunch of Gaffers there. Let me know if I should add (or remove) your name to the list.

jrricky

Banned
How the f*** did this happen? Did developers leak list of words or was it from and strategy guide?

This is all mindboggling with this and pirates, arggghh!! why this game???? :-/

jrricky said:
How the f*** did this happen? Did developers leak list of words or was it from and strategy guide?

This is all mindboggling with this and pirates, arggghh!! why this game???? :-/
I think someone dumped the text from the leaked game.

iamcool388 said:
Store opens at 11 AM. We should try and reach by 10.45, in case there is a crowd.
:lol

You guys might want to get there a bit earlier. It's in the heart of the city, there WILL be a crowd.

-PXG-

Revolutionary said:
:lol

You guys might want to get there a bit earlier. It's in the heart of the city, there WILL be a crowd.

I had no problem getting to the Muramasa event. Then again, I was early :lol

EDIT

Okay, I think I got it figured out. I'll be there. I might be a few minutes late. I'll either get there REALLY early or a little late. Hmmmmm....

Top Bottom