• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

Kworn said:
Wings are awesome, jetpack not so much.

I am having trouble with level 1-9 or something in the supermarket. You have to pick up 3 items and then take them to the till to pay for them.

I get all the items into the basket then go to the cashier and place the items on the barcode scan table. But they just bounce on the table when I place or scan, I have even tried thowing at the shop assistant, which did not work in my favour as she came at me with her fists.

So I just summoned a nuke and blew us both up.

Really frustrating controls sometimes.

Did you pay for them?

Psyclone

Haven't been able to stump the dictionary yet. But, I'm with you guys on the controls and responsiveness. A few levels drove me to the verge of insanity! For example:- How would you go about lobbing a grenade down a hole? No matter how far I stood from the hole, I'd point at it (after equipping the grenade) and every time Max would jump in. Every Time!!

soqquatto

Psyclone said:
Haven't been able to stump the dictionary yet. But, I'm with you guys on the controls and responsiveness. A few levels drove me to the verge of insanity! For example:- How would you go about lobbing a grenade down a hole? No matter how far I stood from the hole, I'd point at it (after equipping the grenade) and every time Max would jump in. Every Time!!

for explosions where I need them I use fire+tnt... not sure about underwater. are depth charges in?

atomsk

Party Pooper
brought this over to my friends last night during the PPV, and we had a blast. sometimes even the 5 of us had to sit and brainstorm to solve things.

though the stage with the bears made one friend stop playing, it went something like...

him: i can't get past these damn bears. they keep killing me
me: well why dont you summon something to kill them?
him: like what
me: well you could summon god
him: seriously?

*1 minute later*

him: well i'll be damned, god killed the bears, why would he do that?

*5 minutes later*

him: god killed me
me: what? what did you do
him: well, i sorta hit him in the back of the head with a shovel
me: then what did you expect?
him: ok, i'm done with this game for now. once god kills me, thats about it for me

Psyclone

"for explosions where I need them I use fire+tnt... not sure about underwater. are depth charges in?"

I got around it by using sea mines :) They seemed to do the trick!

Psyclone

atomsk said:
brought this over to my friends last night during the PPV, and we had a blast. sometimes even the 5 of us had to sit and brainstorm to solve things.

though the stage with the bears made one friend stop playing, it went something like...

him: i can't get past these damn bears. they keep killing me
me: well why dont you summon something to kill them?
him: like what
me: well you could summon god
him: seriously?

*1 minute later*

him: well i'll be damned, god killed the bears, why would he do that?

*5 minutes later*

him: god killed me
me: what? what did you do
him: well, i sorta hit him in the back of the head with a shovel
me: then what did you expect?
him: ok, i'm done with this game for now. once god kills me, thats about it for me
:lol :lol :lol

EzLink

Banned
Hmm, good to see mixed impressions on the controls then I guess. Maybe I'll be one of the people that don't mind them as much

Also I was hoping to wake up to a swarm of reviews. No such luck :/

Dizzle24

Been playing this all weekend and having a blast. (found it in a Walmart Friday on a drive to a friend's house)

Whenever I get stumped on how to get across some open area or need to climb up high, I always summon my mighty Pegasus :lol I didn't think of a jetpack for some reason, or wings...gotta try that. What also comes in handy is the NeoGAF ball; I can float on that bitch for days!

Really awesome game!

EzLink

Banned
I have the word list up in one tab and dictionary.com in the other. I personally think that "antiquark" will become my weapon of choice
sarcasm

god this word list is insane

EDIT: Haggis: a traditional pudding made of the heart, liver, etc., of a sheep or calf, minced with suet and oatmeal, seasoned, and boiled in the stomach of the animal.

I'm going to get so smart from this game

Lothars

Rez said:
I think that it should just be GAF policy that if you're talking about your experience with a game prior to the official release date, you include a pic of the game.

That way, no one has to do any policing, thread stays on topic, etc.

I agree with that even though I got the game early as well from Futureshop, I would include a picture if need be, I think it's a fair policy.

jasonng

iamcool388 said:
If you are in NYC and want an unopened copy of Scribblenauts, send me a PM. I'm only gonna ask for what I paid (I have the receipt, you can have it with the game.)

A friend ended up buying me one as a gift as well, so now I have an extra copy. At first I was just gonna return mine to Nintendo World Store, but then I thought... maybe someone here wants it?

If no one wants it, I'll return it on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Check your PM.

Downhome

Whoever came up with the idea that you can replay stages once you beat them, three times, each time making it that you can't use any of the previously spawned items - THANK YOU!

That alone will increase the replay value a ton.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm going to try not to bitch about it, lest anyone get annoyed at me again, but...

Could you people posting A) questions about how to solve levels and B) answers about how to solve those levels please use spoiler tags? I think it's reasonable for a puzzle game's solutions to be spoilered until at least after the Euro/Aussie release. :(

Huy

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
I'm going to try not to bitch about it, lest anyone get annoyed at me again, but...

Could you people posting A) questions about how to solve levels and B) answers about how to solve those levels please use spoiler tags? I think it's reasonable for a puzzle game's solutions to be spoilered until at least after the Euro/Aussie release. :(

Seconded. Ta.

zigg

Downhome said:
Whoever came up with the idea that you can replay stages once you beat them, three times, each time making it that you can't use any of the previously spawned items - THANK YOU!

Someone might have answered this already, but is this by item or by word? i.e. can I use a different word that is a synonym for the same item?

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Would have been much better if the d-pad moved max, and holding L and using the d-pad moved the camera I think. Also, sometimes I feel like the par system discourages outlandish and creative solutions, as using the few cheaper things (like wings) over and over will get you more money.
Yeah.

The controls become more of a problem the further in you get. I can't tell you how many times I've ended up picking up background items when I meant to jump or walk.

In 1-11 there's a
bee. I summon a beekeeper to deal with the bee. The bee kills the beekeeper.
Huh?

In 3-2 there's a
smoking car I have to repair. I summon a mechanic. He just walks off, does nothing. Huh? I still don't know how to fix that damn car. The goal is to drive it home. Why not just push the damn thing? Home's 3 steps away.

In 3-7 there's a
traffic jam caused by a cow. Immediately behind the cow is a house. The hint is "CLEAR THE WAY TO GET HIM HOME!" Who's him? It's probably the cow, but he's standing right next to a house, so maybe it's the dude stuck in traffic, and he owns the house by the cow?
Too many of the puzzle hints lack clarity.

There have also been a few instances where I clearly met the requirements but the game wasn't recognizing them. Like the
feed the chef some meat, a drink and a sweet puzzle. I summon what's needed. I put it on the table. No star. I try handing them to him. No star. I restart twice, offer different foods, and it finally takes. I don't even know what I did differently.

The game's also given me a clear when I have not fully met the requirements. I quit playing on...4-1 I think it is.
Where you have to reunite the ducks without disturbing the cat. Since most of my attempts at getting creative have gotten me nowhere I played it safe here. Summoned a helicopter, tied a rope to it and the duck, flew it over to the other ducks. But before the ducks were reunited the star spawned. And then the cat decided to hop into the water for some reason. So it died and I had to restart. Fuck that.
I've had the NPC AI do a bunch of goofy, suicidal stuff, and that was the last straw.

Oh well! It's neat playing with the dictionary, but the puzzle bits aren't very good. :(

Also I live in New York and went to the NWS so if you're gonna reply please spare me the piracy bullshit. And besides, aren't people more forgiving of shit they didn't pay for? I know I am!

Rummy Bunnz said:
There have also been a few instances where I clearly met the requirements but the game wasn't recognizing them.
Like the feed the chef some meat, a drink and a sweet puzzle. I summon what's needed. I put it on the table. No star. I try handing them to him. No star. I restart twice, offer different foods, and it finally takes. I don't even know what I did differently.

I think the puzzle specifically asks you for something hot to eat. I generated a casserole but it didn't accept the solution until I put it in the oven. You were probably trying foods it didn't consider inherently "hot".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
...yeah please use spoiler tags.

I'm not as adamant about it as some others, because I'm basically taking everything I read as something I can't use and have to come up with something of my own, but I can see this being incredibly annoying for those who a. don't have the game yet (it's not even the street date) and b. don't want puzzle solutions/nonsolutions spoiled.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Yeah.

The controls become more of a problem the further in you get. I can't tell you how many times I've ended up picking up background items when I meant to jump or walk.

In 1-11
there's a bee. I summon a beekeeper to deal with the bee. The bee kills the beekeeper.
Huh?

In 3-2
there's a smoking car I have to repair. I summon a mechanic. He just walks off, does nothing. Huh? I still don't know how to fix that damn car. The goal is to drive it home. Why not just push the damn thing? Home's 3 steps away.

In 3-7
there's a traffic jam caused by a cow. Immediately behind the cow is a house. The hint is "CLEAR THE WAY TO GET HIM HOME!" Who's him? It's probably the cow, but he's standing right next to a house, so maybe it's the dude stuck in traffic, and he owns the house by the cow?
Too many of the puzzle hints lack clarity.

There have also been a few instances where I clearly met the requirements but the game wasn't recognizing them.
Like the feed the chef some meat, a drink and a sweet puzzle. I summon what's needed. I put it on the table. No star. I try handing them to him. No star. I restart twice, offer different foods,
and it finally takes. I don't even know what I did differently.

The game's also given me a clear when I have not fully met the requirements. I quit playing on...4-1 I think it is.
Where you have to reunite the ducks without disturbing the cat. Since most of my attempts at getting creative have gotten me nowhere I played it safe here. Summoned a helicopter, tied a rope to it and the duck, flew it over to the other ducks. But before the ducks were reunited the star spawned. And then the cat decided to hop into the water for some reason. So it died and I had to restart.
Fuck that. I've had the NPC AI do a bunch of goofy, suicidal stuff, and that was the last straw.

Oh well! It's neat playing with the dictionary, but the puzzle bits aren't very good. :(

Also I live in New York and went to the NWS so if you're gonna reply please spare me the piracy bullshit. And besides, aren't people more forgiving of shit they didn't pay for? I know I am!

Would this have been so fucking difficult to do?

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw the Developer's Voice on the Wii's Nintendo Channel. It was great to see all the prototypes of Maxwell, as well as see a bunch of the art being dawn out.

zigg said:
Someone might have answered this already, but is this by item or by word? i.e. can I use a different word that is a synonym for the same item?

Word. And it's actually really broken. "Box" and "Crate" spawn the same object but are different words, so I can use one then the other. The game seems to check the LITERAL word you input, not the object it produces.

Also, if I use "boat" in one attempt, it won't let me use "boat" again. However, if I type "htehbtre boat", it SHOULD simply ignore the junk and see "boat" and prevent me from summoning it. It does ignore the junk and spawn the correct object, but because what I typed in was technically different it allows it to be summoned. Not game-breaking, I mean honestly all challenge in this game is self-challenge. But yeah.

I actually just got back from home and played the hell out of this game. I didn't play it enough to write any sort of review on it (my copy is shipping soon I guess), but I played probably the first 8 levels of world 1. Fucking incredible game.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I think the puzzle specifically asks you for something hot to eat. I generated a casserole but it didn't accept the solution until I put it in the oven. You were probably trying foods it didn't consider inherently "hot".
Yeah, I summoned
a steak at first, which should count as hot! But it didn't work. After striking out I did try oven but I don't think I used it at all on the turn where I finally got the star. I know I didn't feel like I'd solved anything. It was just "Huh?"

Also I don't think anything I said was spoiler-y. It was all shit that didn't work, and if tutorial-level puzzle hints are spoilers...jeez, that's a bit much, isn't it?

Edit: OK, I see some people are upset! I edited my post. Don't highlight the text, kids! It'll spoil the fact that there's a BEE in the game...!!!!

Rummy Bunnz said:
OK, I see some people are upset! I edited my post. Don't highlight the text, kids! It'll spoil the fact that there's a BEE in the game...!!!!

smh.

It'll highlight the fact that you are giving details of puzzles and and its solution when the game isnt even out in 99% of the NA, much less EU and Aus.

When in doubt, use spoilers. We all know how they work, and someone wants to read about the puzzles they'll highlight it. This way at least no one unwittingly gets the game spoilt. Be considerate, thats all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rummy Bunnz said:
Edit: OK, I see some people are upset! I edited my post. Don't highlight the text, kids! It'll spoil the fact that there's a BEE in the game...!!!!

You're discussing the content of puzzles, and the context of attempted solutions and hints. I know it does not show much, but it's still revealing 'content' that many here would like to discover by themselves.

Some would rather not know what puzzles lie ahead.

Kworn

Banned
Ok Spoilered

The level where you have to burry the corpe (very Morbid btw) is pissing me off. I tried undertaker, hurse, coffin etc etc, and boy that fucking corpse dont want to budge to that hole in the ground I made

I think more thinking outside the box is in order

Kworn

Banned
Hawkian said:
...none of those things you mentioned actually have to do with
burying...

Undertaker and coffin, maybe not. But spade dig and dragg that fucking body into the hole would...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Rofl, i know it's a bitch, but ctrl +c
when you're in this thread ;)

You also mentioned hearse though, which really has zero to do with it. BTW did you make a grave? Just guessing here, haven't tried any of this

Kletian

Kworn said:
Ok Spoilered

The level where you have to burry the corpe (very Morbid btw) is pissing me off. I tried undertaker, hurse, coffin etc etc, and boy that fucking corpse dont want to budge to that hole in the ground I made

I think more thinking outside the box is in order

1)Make zombie
2)Zombify corpse
3)Make new Zombie fall in hole
4)Kill new Zombie

Just an out of the box suggestion from someone who doesnt have the game :p

Kworn

Banned
Kletian said:
1)Make zombie
2)Zombify corpse
3)Make new Zombie fall in hole
4)Kill new Zombie

Just an out of the box suggestion from someone who doesnt have the game :p

I'm going to give this a go

Kworn

Banned
Kworn said:
I'm going to give this a go

Ok did Zombie but the zombie ate him.

So I had a go at putting the corpse in the box again and that worked then got a helicopter to drop in in the hole I made.

The next puzzle is

Get the unicorn from the top of the hill and return him to the druids, you cannot ride the unicorn...

Top Bottom