• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scroll Wheel: Unique Usage in PC Gaming? / Why It Never Caught on for Console.

Ahh.. the scroll wheel. you'll probably use it to navigate this thread.
Surprisingly, I read that it was initially meant to go forward and backward in file explorer and not as it is today, scrolling vertically on a screen.
As for gaming, it has always been used in the same way on PC. The most common usage of the wheel in PC games is switching weapons.

Is there any uncommon default function where the game uses the scroll wheel differently over the years?

iunl6W4.jpg

before the Nintendo was still known as codename NX, Nintendo patented a device with "Scrollable, clickable shoulder buttons" the mechanic of the scroll wheel is pretty "withered" in technology

Age7qeN.png

Why do you think the scroll wheel hasn't become successful on consoles?

and don't mention dumb, cash grab peripheral that plague gaming..( i won't link to it just the save you)

uWPzwSC.png

Last edited:

Trunx81

Ah yes, the scrolling wheel. I remember my first Logitech mouse with it. Felt like it came from another time, it was future tech. Especially after using the C64 mouse for all these years.

Although I later used it for switching weapons, it wasn’t that assessable in the beginning. How often did I switch to the wrong one until I got the timing right.
Consoles need quick and easy controls. Having another thing to move on your GamePad that could easily be worn out, especially mechanical while lying in the dirt of a kids room … I don’t know, maybe I’m to old but for me it seems impractical.

It's super useful for abilities or functions that benefit from key spamming, like timed abilities in WoW and other MMOs or skipping dialogues.

Holammer

Why not put a textured wheel on the base of the analogue sticks.
It would probably find some use and could be easily manipulated with your thumbs. It wouldn't be in the way either and practically invisible.

Shifty

They go wonky way too easily. I don't think I've ever owned a mouse that didn't eventually have its wheel mechanism go out of sync with the inputs it's meant to deliver.

By comparison, analog drift is easy enough to fix with a software deadzone. Not much you can do about a scrollwheel that double-fires or misses an input at one specific orientation.

Also, I used PgDn to get here :messenger_tongue:

Why not put a textured wheel on the base of the analogue sticks.
It would probably find some use and could be easily manipulated with your thumbs. It wouldn't be in the way either and practically invisible.
Not on the sticks. It would be better for an index finger as you do with a nomral mouse. That would be one of the bumpers. It would be horizontal instead of vertical but it could be there.
The more I think about it I hit the bumper with the base of my index finger anyway so the tip of your finger wont hit the wheel. You can reach the wheel with the tip of your index finger and not have to move your hand in any way weird.
You can also make the wheel a button by pressing it in like a mouse. That would add both scroll wheel and a new button. I like this idea, I'm proud to be a part of it. (Channeling my inner Bill Murry)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I always sucked at weapon switching with the number keys. Like yeah from 1 to 5 is easy but after that I start getting lost and missing clicks. So yeah having a mouse with a wheel was life changer back in the day.

Can't think of any other uses aside from weapon switching or zooming in or out tho.

Laptop1991

Weapon or ability switching is what i use the wheel for all the time really, however the middle button underneath the wheel is my least favorite button, i go to press it and some of the time it switches weapons, right at the worst moment in a game.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I've been replaying RtCW recently and scroll wheel to change weapons is essential imo, I remember it most fondly in HL2 I think.

The classic weapon switch. Games today have adapted to controllers instead of the other way around, which is why we ended up with most shooters today only letting you carry two to three guns.

nush

Moving component like that in a console controller is a potential failure point. There's already enough issues with analogue sticks. There's an innovation/risk ratio console makers have to work with.

Shmunter

Sony has the trackpad that’s grossly underused as it is. Could do endless shortcuts with simple gestures.

Top Bottom