• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret Of Monkey Island - SPECIAL EDITION to Xbox 360

Wow, awesome news - hopefully it'll appear on as many platforms as possible, new generations deserve to have LucasArt point & click adventures as part of their childhood. If it comes to PSN i'll rebuy, otherwise i'll stick with my SEGA-CD version.

dejan

Woah! Took them long enough to realize they are leaving money on the table. Hope GoG/Steam will soon receive some love from LucasArts, too.

adg1034

OH HELL YES. And just think- success of this title will likely determine whether an actually brand new MI game gets developed or not. E3 can't come fast enough.

GhaleonQ

Er, I confess that I don't get it. So, they're releasing the one that isn't the funniest one or the best-designed one? And they're releasing it on a platform that doesn't contextualize graphic adventure games for the new audience? And the presumed graphical enhancements improve the game in what sense? And it's easily accessible illegally and legally, right? And the chances of this leading to a new Monkey Island game (never mind a good one) are what, now?

This strikes me as either stupid or pointless, and I'm preparing to buy another version of Lunar: The Silver Star in a few months.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
pswii60 said:
This. Just how it's been done for years.

Seriously, a game like this needs a pointing device. Analogue sticks aren't good enough. I know, I've tried, and it felt unintuitive and more like a chore to play. It's also too slow, even with an accelerator button. Which obviously won't work when you need precision.

Butter to use a direct-control scheme, where you stand in front of an object and push a select command button (or a default action button like the right button on the original LucasArts games, to open doors, look at etc), and a list of commands will pop up that looks like the original verb-bar. That's how you make a point'n'click for a console with no pointing device.

GhaleonQ said:
Er, I confess that I don't get it. So, they're releasing the one that isn't the funniest one or the best-designed one?

Yeah, they only release the next-best one. MI2>MI1->MI3>MI4. How dare they. It's also one of the most memorable games ever, and it's funny as hell - so I do not relate to your opinion.

And there's a lot more logic in releasing the first in a series where the story is somewhat connected - not to mention the legendary status the game has achieved. Also, who's to say this is the only one in the series to get the same treatment? If this sells well, we just might see the sequels too.

Gowans

White Man said:
If this is real, there's no way they can't get around redoing all the graphics. 320x200 won't cut it no matter how much you letterbox it.

For that reason, I'm skeptical on this.

Yeah that resolution would be a complete mess on HD TV's if it is real there has to be some serious work going into it.

Wasn't the original remade for CD release with cartoon art voices etc? or am I thinking Simon the Scorer? or a sequel?

Hammer24

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
So, they're releasing the one that isn't the funniest one or the best-designed one?

Who cares?! a) its Monkey Island, dummy; and b) if its going to be a financial success, this can only lead to more releases of the other LucasArts gems

And they're releasing it on a platform that doesn't contextualize graphic adventure games for the new audience?

They are releasing it on the platform with the mature audience where its highly likely they had played the original and would double dip in a heart beat.

And the presumed graphical enhancements improve the game in what sense?

I can not just play, but show the game to my wife and kids on the 1080p TV instead of 320 pixels window. That way I might even be able to show them why I´m excited.

And it's easily accessible illegally and legally, right?

And? Its still "just" the original, where the graphics don´t hold up anymore.

And the chances of this leading to a new Monkey Island game (never mind a good one) are what, now?

So if there is demand for this game, don´t you think dev´s/pub´s would take notice?

Proc

This sounds fucking awesome. The controller doesn't turn me off at all. I played one of the monkey islands on ps2 when my library of games was lacking. I enjoyed it. I'd enjoy it more on the PC obviously but this is great news anyway you put it.

edit: lucas pack on steam needs to happen.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Swoon

The only problem is... this is how big the screens are in Monkey 2:

room%20001.png

I don't think that will look so hot on my HDTV :p

El-Suave

Could be a neat showcase for their motion cam setup if you can use it to point at stuff. Would be buch better than pad control.

AniHawk

painey said:
wahooooooo!!!

edit: please no motion bullshit!

Motion would suck, but pointer controls would be awesome.

Imagine if all the LucasArts adventure games are on their way to the 360, to be revealed at E3, in support of a hardcore use for their new dealy.

itxaka

Defeatist
McBacon said:
Swoon

[IG]http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/vgbargains/wp-content/gaf/room%20001.png[/IMG]

MI had an VGA re-release. 640x400 IIRC

m7qmj6.gif

I know it's still really low but.....maybe some HQ filter like the ones on scummvm could make it work without making it ugly.

Rlan

McBacon said:
Swoon

room%20001.png

Well you could do a direct upscale to the closest next resolution, which would be:

somi2.png

Or if you want to be creative...

somi1.png

:)

GhaleonQ

StarEye said:
Yeah, they only release the next-best one. MI2>MI1->MI3>MI4.

Says you.

StarEye said:
It's also one of the most memorable games ever, and it's funny as hell - so I do not relate to your opinion.

Yeah, in the context of the 1990 PC game market. I'm sure that MFenix4Eva is going to be tickled by the inventory puzzle jokes, Indiana Jones references, smarmy salesman, and adventure movie-parodying swordfighting. Plus, if they rewrite a significant portion of the game, what's the point?

StarEye said:
And there's a lot more logic in releasing the first in a series where the story is somewhat connected - not to mention the legendary status the game has achieved.

It's nothing that an introductory movie couldn't fix. It's not like this will make people more likely to browse EBay or spur a proper compilation.

StarEye said:
Also, who's to say this is the only one in the series to get the same treatment? If this sells well, we just might see the sequels too.

So, they'd remake 2, leave 3 largely as it is, and then remake 4? Is that the plan?

Hammer24 said:
They are releasing it on the platform with the mature audience where its highly likely they had played the original and would double dip in a heart beat.

I'm honestly skeptical that a comedy-based adventure game that doesn't have a risk element to the gameplay will draw an extra-large crowd that knows the puzzles and jokes already.

Hammer24 said:
I can not just play, but show the game to my wife and kids on the 1080p TV instead of 320 pixels window. That way I might even be able to show them why I´m excited.
And? Its still "just" the original, where the graphics don´t hold up anymore.

Boundary-pushing graphics aren't a selling point for adventure games anymore. Are your wife and kids more likely to laugh at, "How appropriate. You fight like a cow," because Guybrush's art looks extra sharp? Are you?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
GhaleonQ said:

You sound exactly like one of the greedy publisher who destroys gaming because they're afraid of taking chances. Who knows, maybe you ARE one of those.

Seriously, you're part of the problem, and it's incredibly scary that anyone can spin this into something negative. Your cynical nature scares me, and I'm glad I'm not you.

Also, regarding rating the best from worst of the MI franchise. The vast majority agrees with me, and although it's just your opinion - you state your opinion as fact.

pulga

Banned
Awesome, never got to play this. Would rather it be on Wii for the pointer, but beggars can't be choosers.

a1m

Banned
What the hell, why Xbox 360 only? I certainly hope they announce that immediately for the PS3 also, fucking cock.

Top Bottom