• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret Of Monkey Island - SPECIAL EDITION to Xbox 360

Enk

makes good threads.
Oh my fucking god I am swimming in seamans.

Seriously, someone has trapped me in a tank full of seamans along with my computer until this game releases. Some please give me this game as they won't stop belittling me! :-(

LiK

tinfoilhatman said:
umm ok this is kinda weird for an exclusive, I'd rather have this on PSN.

i didn't read anything in the OP that said it's an exclusive. there's still hope.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i only own an xbox 360

having said that, i really hope this is a retail release for ps3, wii and xbox 360.

i want everyone to play it and i really want to OWN a physical copy of monkey island 1+2.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
News Update: More Details Uncovered on Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1893

LucasArts planning Secret of Monkey Island re-release
Official details expected at E3 in two weeks
Written by the AG staff — May 20, 2009
8 - view comments

LucasArts is resurrecting its seminal Monkey Island adventure game franchise with a re-release of The Secret Of Monkey Island on Xbox 360. A game titled "The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition" was revealed today through a posting on the German USK game ratings board.

Sources have also independently (though unofficially) confirmed the existence of the project to Adventure Gamers, and indicated that it will be a downloadable game on Xbox Live Arcade rather than a retail Xbox 360 release.

Official details are expected at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, which will be held on June 2 - 4.

The Secret Of Monkey Island is the first game in the Monkey Island series, originally released on floppy disk in 1990 for Atari ST, Macintosh and PC. It is unknown whether the Special Edition will feature up-scaled graphics or entirely new artwork to take advantage of the Xbox 360's High Definition resolution.

It appears LucasArts has recently taken a renewed interest in its older intellectual properties. In February, LucasArts revealed that the upcoming Nintendo Wii action/adventure game Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings would feature the adventure game classic Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in its entirety as an unlockable bonus.

Ashodin

Enk said:
Oh my fucking god I am swimming in seamans.

Seriously, someone has trapped me in a tank full of seamans along with my computer until this game releases. Some please give me this game as they won't stop belittling me! :-(
I was waiting for you or Guybrush to show up. I know how both of you would be going crazy over this game.

Zachack

adg1034 said:
What I'm about to say assumes that there are some smart people over at Lucasarts (and who knows, I could be wrong), but I really don't see anyone giving the greenlight for a game like this unless they'd found a way to make it work using a controller. Maybe I'm being too optimistic here, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they know what they're doing over in San Francisco.

Please know what you're doing. Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease
If they're actually redoing the visuals (like moving it to 3D) they they could presumably change the interface to something like Grim Fandango (which IIRC doesn't need a mouse at all).

Google

jon bones said:
having said that, i really hope this is a retail release for ps3, wii and xbox 360.

MI hasnt been at retail for nearly a decade.

Why would they suddenly put it out there now?

Google

Zachack said:
If they're actually redoing the visuals (like moving it to 3D)

Of course they're not moving it into 3D.

Seriously, Lucasarts have left this to fucking die, why would they suddenly invest in it?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Zachack said:
If they're actually redoing the visuals (like moving it to 3D) they they could presumably change the interface to something like Grim Fandango (which IIRC doesn't need a mouse at all).

Although it would remove a lot of the jokeks. That's my main beef with the transition from the plenty of verbs interface to the MI3 interface, and to a greater extent the EMI interface.

Anyway - redeeming qualities:

Duck: MOO!
Guybrush: MOO? What kind of duck ARE you?

Guybrush: Goodbye cruel adventuregame!
Guybrush: eh, forget it.

It's got a couple of decent puzzles, but mostly it was just bad.

Non-redeeming qualities:

Lucre Island was okay - but nothing compared to any of the islands in the first three.
Jambalaya Island was an abomination. And what did they do to Stan???
Monkey Island was a wreck. Monkey Kombat was the single worst gameplay element I've ever seen.
And they destroyed the monkey head!!! Murderers!
Murray was... no fun at all. Considering he was such a perfect character in CMI - one of the greatest new characters since the first two games.
Melee Island - they destroyed it, 99% of the characters were annoying as hell.
The painted lady figurine. *shivers*
Ozzie Mandrill??? Seriously?
Herman Torqatio Marley? Seriously?
Some of the biggest plotholes ever in an adventure game.

skulpt

Yes! No! Yes, if they leave it the way it is or only somehow take out the jaggies. No if they redo the visuals, add voice acting, add other modes, or destroy a work of art.

What MS or Sony need to do is add Elite 2 to PSN or XBLA, and make it go online... drooolllllssss..............

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
KernelPanic said:
The first two Monkey Island were awesome.

CMI was awesome as well .. I still quote Murray to this day.

Escape from Monkey Island ? Not as good/funny. I hated the controls.

Can we have Monkey Island 5 ?? Bring back Ron Gilbert !

Gilbert doesnt give a fuck about Lucasarts anymore, just like Grossman and Schafer. He's working on Deathspank, which is an ARPG combine with MI humor.

I hope the originals make it on to gog.

2vi372x.gif

4mj5qpg.gif

skulpt said:
Yes! No! Yes, if they leave it the way it is or only somehow take out the jaggies. No if they redo the visuals, add voice acting, add other modes, or destroy a work of art.

What MS or Sony need to do is add Elite 2 to PSN or XBLA, and make it go online... drooolllllssss..............
any voice acting would be optional.

why wouldn't you want voice acting though? you didn't like the VO work in the sequels?

Google

HK-47 said:
Gilbert doesnt give a fuck about Lucasarts anymore, just like Grossman and Schafer. He's working on Deathspank, which is an ARPG combine with MI humor.

I hope the originals make it on to gog.

I actually had a pretty detailed conversation with Grossman about this very subject 12 months ago.

It looked highly doubtful then, looks even more so now, especially with the success of Sam 'n Max.

Google

plagiarize said:
why wouldn't you want voice acting though?

Personally? The original has more than enough style and swagger without any VO. I dont dislike the VO in MI3 or 4 - but why is it even required for a game that creates such a strong image in your mind simply with its writing and music?

Enk

makes good threads.
John_B said:
Why don't they make a new Monkey Island?

After the raping my little evolved monkey hole recieved from the last one I am not sure if I'm ready for seconds. Now if they could somehow magically conjure up the old team again then they could gangbang me all they like.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Google said:
I actually had a pretty detailed conversation with Grossman about this very subject 12 months ago.

It looked highly doubtful then, looks even more so now, especially with the success of Sam 'n Max.

Lucasarts is one of the worst companies out there. The most you could hope for is it being outsourced to Telltale or Double Fine, but thats still only one writer out of three

Google said:
Personally? The original has more than enough style and swagger without any VO. I dont dislike the VO in MI3 or 4 - but why is it even required for a game that creates such a strong image in your mind simply with its writing and music?
music could do with some work too imho. the compositions are great, but choosing between imuse and cd audio is a lose lose situation.

personally, i just thought Armato nailed the line readings on the games he worked on, that i can't help but imagine what he would bring to the superior writing of the first two.

to me, Armato IS guybrush. the original is my favourite of the series hands down, but i really miss the full VO when I go back and play it (as i do once a year at least).

Is this an example of Sony blocking low-res 2D stuff? A 360 exclusive makes no sense.

After all these years I still can't believe that Lucasarts canned a near-complete Sam & Max game.

Google

plagiarize said:
music could do with some work too imho. the compositions are great, but choosing between imuse and cd audio is a lose lose situation.

personally, i just thought Armato nailed the line readings on the games he worked on, that i can't help but imagine what he would bring to the superior writing of the first two.

to me, Armato IS guybrush. the original is my favourite of the series hands down, but i really miss the full VO when I go back and play it (as i do once a year at least).

See, I was about 8 when I first played MI. Guybrush has no voice other than me reading the lines as a snotty English schoolboy.

Armato signifies Guybrush in MI3, not MI1+2...

But, horses for courses.

I really hope they don't mess too much with the graphics. Improving them is fine as long as they STICK WITH SPRITES. I can just picture them making it a pseudo-3D mess.

Although my computer will get pregnant if they use COMI-style graphics.

Google

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I can just picture them making it a pseudo-3D mess.

I cant.

They like money, and they arent stupid.

Cheap and quick will be the way, if this ever actually happens.

androvsky

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Is this an example of Sony blocking low-res 2D stuff? A 360 exclusive makes no sense.

After all these years I still can't believe that Lucasarts canned a near-complete Sam & Max game.

The strange thing is that I've heard multiple times that MS now requires graphical updates for old games to come to XBLA, while PSN doesn't any more. Sony even said they were going after old games from publishers' back catalogs from non-Sony systems just to have more stuff available for download to the PSP. The weird thing is just after Sony said that, there's been a bunch of older games announced for XBLA that would seem perfect for this type of venture. Either MS is snagging the gems before Sony can have them, or the XBLA versions are getting announced early.

Ashodin

I really hope they don't mess too much with the graphics. Improving them is fine as long as they STICK WITH SPRITES. I can just picture them making it a pseudo-3D mess.

I foresee you and Enk are going to have avatars with new-style talking guybrush. I ENVISION IT.

LiK

wow, the Guybrush in his own revival thread :p

Yeah Grim Fandango would work better on consoles as it was designed around the keyboard, not mouse. Easily workable with a gamepad.

I'm still supporting this game day one in hopes that more will follow.

Top Bottom