• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World - Information And Update Thread [New dev diary]

derFeef

Uh, ok. So I got an invite to download the beta client yet none of my login details work?

Why invite me to something I can't play?

beta weekend or closed beta? They are different :)
Also the account login is different than the game login, just to be sure.

derFeef

i tried it out and did the vision part. combat is boring D: does it get better than that?

The vision? The first 10 minutes? Yeah, it gets better since you can choose what weapon you can choose and so on. I really dislike the beginning, it makes a wrong impression of the overall game.

That is a cool bar in london.
30b89119.jpg

The more I play the more likely I am to buy this. I'm really digging it. Sure it's now the greatest looking MMO in terms of style but the content of quests/lore is at least fucking thoughtful and hits that Lovecraftian itch. The improved combat is quite nice...

The investigation quests are really quite challenging. Though I'm still early on in Kingsmouth.

derFeef

I am on right now in the open beta as Feef if anyone want's to team up or something. Chimerea server. I have to say I really dislike the seperate server stuff again :/

The more I play the more likely I am to buy this. I'm really digging it. Sure it's now the greatest looking MMO in terms of style but the content of quests/lore is at least fucking thoughtful and hits that Lovecraftian itch. The improved combat is quite nice...

The investigation quests are really quite challenging. Though I'm still early on in Kingsmouth.

I think it can be purty, but some of it looks really oldscool. I am currently helping some dude out with The Kingsmouth Code - it's fun :)

I am on right now in the open beta as Feef if anyone want's to team up or something. Chimerea server. I have to say I really dislike the seperate server stuff again :/

I think it can be purty, but some of it looks really oldscool. I am currently helping some dude out with The Kingsmouth Code - it's fun :)

Yea it definitely has some good looking parts. It doesn't look as good as EVE, which is the MMO I play the most, though on and off, but the universe they're building in TSW is my favorite of any I've played. I love subject matter like this.

docbon

this is probably the first mmo where i didn't skip the quest intros. the dialogue owns so hard.

PVP on the other hand seems like it will be a nightmare to balance because of the ability set up.

Alright, I preordered from Amazon. Any idea how long it takes for the codes to get sent out?

Nevermind...that was fast. What server are GAF people on?

So as someone who grew tired of WoW and SWTOR (and Rift) pretty fast because of the boring and monotonous combat and questing plus the feeling of not being in a different world and in something more of a rollercoaster ride - can this game be for me?

What I want in an MMO is a good immersive world that makes me want to explore it, FUN leveling, quests that are not boring as hell, a good story and a challenge. It's no fun when the game is too easy.

I love the setting and I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft. Can this game be for me?

TheYanger

The combat is not outstanding, it is a LOT better than it was last beta weekend though. active dodge and the targetting being less 'sticky' help give it a faster TPS kind of feel.

That said, Yeah, if you like the setting and want an IMMERSIVE, Exploration encouraging setting, you'll dig the game. The questing and setting are the strong points. You will want an adventure game sort of mentality for some of the quests, which can really wrack your brain. It's not a game for the novice player by any means.

derFeef

The strong points are really the setting and the missions. While there ARE your typical mmo quests thrown in, they may help you later with the investigation missions as they encourage you to explore and make you know the things you need to know.

The combat is not outstanding, it is a LOT better than it was last beta weekend though. active dodge and the targetting being less 'sticky' help give it a faster TPS kind of feel.

That said, Yeah, if you like the setting and want an IMMERSIVE, Exploration encouraging setting, you'll dig the game. The questing and setting are the strong points. You will want an adventure game sort of mentality for some of the quests, which can really wrack your brain. It's not a game for the novice player by any means.

Sounds good! My download is halfway done. Is there just a single server? I'd like to play with whoever is playing from GAF

TheYanger

Sounds good! My download is halfway done. Is there just a single server? I'd like to play with whoever is playing from GAF

3 servers this time, chimaera was the only one last time I played though so maybe most are there?

Also, I should add as has been stated: the intro is AWFUL. The whole opening cinematic is basically the same for all 3 factions, cheesy as fuck, and boring. The first mission is like a 'flashback' type deal and also the same for all 3, it also sucks. This game is the opposite of AoC: it's going to turn people off within 5-10 minutes I bet, but those who stick with it more will like it MORE, rather than having a strong intro and nothing behind it.

derFeef

Im on the first one (Chimera or how it's called). Character is named Feef.
But I am hitting the sack now, 3:30am ;)

TheYanger, I agree. The flashback mission is quite bad, sadly. Game get's better and better as you move forward.

Nice. I love adventure games and I don't mind a slower pace at times.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Bah, I was half done with the DL the other day and now I have to redo it all and wait about an hour before I can play.

Damn I'm not even using QL1 gear yet...

I have no idea how to buy weapons either, rather, what currency I use.

Also go into first person view mode and you'll feel like you're playing Bloodlines occasionally.

Anyone have a beta key for me? I need my Lovecraft inspired game fix. :) Would be awesome to have something to do this weekend.

Edit: Thanks, DMPRINCE!

I'm actually digging this. The combat lies somewhere between WoW and TERA. Not totally realtime, but not as slow as WoW either. I love the aesthetic and setting. So refreshing to not be playing another fantasy MMO. I really, really, really did their UI too. Haven't done any of the quests that require research yet though.

Moobabe

Ok - who is online and on what server? I've rolled an Illuminati and am in Kingsmouth at the moment. This game has really surprised me so far.

derFeef

The mission "Something Wicked" is so awesome - atmospheric, brain wrecking and with a nice payoff.

Im online on Chimera Moobabe, names Feef.

The mission "Something Wicked" is so awesome - atmospheric, brain wrecking and with a nice payoff.

Im online on Chimera Moobabe, names Feef.

I'm looking to start that one later tonight. I finally got some better gear. I'm basically rolling a puritan but replacing hammer with blade because who uses a hammer?! Feef, what's the deal with buying good gear? what is the actual currency for that?

the game really has such an amazing atmosphere. the music has to be some of my favorite in an mmo. if you enjoy Lovecraft and subject matter like that, do yourself a favor and play; stick with it,the flashback scene is seriously like 10-15 mins. London is the coolest hub, but Illuminati have more interesting npcs ans lore pieces.

Fuck it I'm buying this!

derFeef

You can't buy "good" gear atm. You will either have to find some, or craft them. I have found a nice blade just right now, a named QL2 one, if you want it.

How do you send tells?

/tell nickname.

or add dudes in the friendlist (shift-f) and then you can manage this easier.

I got a pretty good rig with a crossfire setup, but I get shady fps anway. Is this a problem a common problem with the game or is it something with my computer?

You can't buy "good" gear atm. You will either have to find some, or craft them. I have found a nice blade just right now, a named QL2 one, if you want it.

/tell nickname.

or add dudes in the friendlist (shift-f) and then you can manage this easier.

that would be awesome Feef, I'm at work right now I should be on later in the evening . EST time here so its currently 1230 pm.

I didny realize you couldn't actually buy gear. is that just for the beta? I just started getting better equipment and starting to understand the relationship between attribute and skill level and the gear.

derFeef

I logged off for now, was fun doing missions with you guys, looking forward to more in a few hours maybe :)

@indigo - you can buy basic QL0 weapons in kingsmouth, but none of the better vendors are available yet I think. I need to check out London more.

I logged off for now, was fun doing missions with you guys, looking forward to more in a few hours maybe :)

@indigo - you can buy basic QL0 weapons in kingsmouth, but none of the better vendors are available yet I think. I need to check out London more.

yea I went back to London last night and the templar merchants take some sort of weird currency definitely not pax Romana*.

Bru

Enjoyed the little bit I caught at the end of the session.

Looking forward to grouping up again on both beta and release.

Moobabe

That was good! I'm only on Tier 2 of the main Kingsmouth quest log - is it the only zone in this beta aside from the instance?

That was good! I'm only on Tier 2 of the main Kingsmouth quest log - is it the only zone in this beta aside from the instance?

I think Transylvania is accessible at least part of it, if you can make it that far. you're definitely able to progress past Kingsmouth.

I'm impressed with the beta. Okay combat, awesome setting and interesting lore and story. I hope this game will get a few followers and not fade away in a year's time.

Top Bottom