• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World - Information And Update Thread [New dev diary]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh... the way this game loads assets into memory is horrible. It causes the worst hitching I've seen since the early days of Vanguard. I have it at maxed settings without AA and the performance when everything in the scene is loaded is very smooth, even with lots of characters on screen. It's when you take a step, or spin the camera around that everything starts to chop out like crazy. It wasn't particularly bad until I got to the Sheriff's area of Kingsmouth, where it got nigh unplayable.

I hate hitching and choppiness, and this game seems like it removes objects from memory when you're not looking at them, causing you to load them from the hard drive when you get near them or look at them again. I may be wrong, but something is causing some really awful hitching and it's ruining the game for me.

Beautiful aesthetic, though! I love the atmosphere and the lore seems really interesting.

Effect

I'm noticing some issues with clicking on objects. Have to click tot he right of them. Had issues with moving the sliders during character creation. Outside of that I didn't really have any other issues once I closed Google Chrome.

Don't get the complaining about combat some have made in other places. It was clear what combat would be like from the start. The aesthetics, world, and lore are really helping me enjoy the game. The interface is really clean as is the opening and closing of menus. The skill wheel takes some getting used to but glad there is an actual video clip in the game that explains it.

Tells should appear by default on the main general tab though. You'd move it to it's own tab later but it's easy to miss that the tab is glowing.

MMORPG.com has an edit to their impressions. It talks about the animations and they they were told that because you can cast and attack while moving that is why they look weird at times.

Ugh... the way this game loads assets into memory is horrible. It causes the worst hitching I've seen since the early days of Vanguard. I have it at maxed settings without AA and the performance when everything in the scene is loaded is very smooth, even with lots of characters on screen. It's when you take a step, or spin the camera around that everything starts to chop out like crazy. It wasn't particularly bad until I got to the Sheriff's area of Kingsmouth, where it got nigh unplayable.

I hate hitching and choppiness, and this game seems like it removes objects from memory when you're not looking at them, causing you to load them from the hard drive when you get near them or look at them again. I may be wrong, but something is causing some really awful hitching and it's ruining the game for me.

Beautiful aesthetic, though! I love the atmosphere and the lore seems really interesting.

Streaming geometry with tesselation, try disabling it.

I've had quite a few issues like that too. Once everything is loaded in though it runs buttery smooth. Love the visual style too.

The writing is surprisingly sharp I have to say, really impressed with it.

Is anyone else having audio level problems? I can barely hear the VO in cutscenes but it's fine when characters are talking in world. I have dialogue maxed out in the audio settings too, really not sure what's causing it.

derFeef

The dreamworld engine needs to load the shaders first with every object/material, once that is done it should runs smooth. Was the same with Conan too, a shame they did not work that out better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Streaming geometry with tesselation, try disabling it.

Wow... that sure did it. Thanks for the tip.

I hate how shitty tessellation is in terms of performance in just about every game. I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution was the only game where it worked without killing performance.

Then again, I only have a Radeon 5870, which the first generation of DX11 cards.

Anyone know the difference between mission colors? Some are blue, others red, others yellow... looks like I can only have one red mission at a given time...?

derFeef

Anyone know the difference between mission colors? Some are blue, others red, others yellow... looks like I can only have one red mission at a given time...?
blue ones are story missions (movie reel), red ones fetch missions I think and the green ones are side missions which you can have more at the same time.

Anyway, 3am.. Off to bed.

Oh the laptop missions are the puzzle missions.

Ricker

Nice interface but man I have no idea where to go now and what to do...most quests say hard or very hard and I have to talk to people about the fog,but there is no tracker anymore...also how do you put your weapon away and why is my sprint not working anymore?...some say X but that does nothing,went to the Church and talked to a guy there but fog wasn't an option...

And Feef I added you in my friendlist,if you can send me an invite or whatever for the guild,name is Rhicky.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving just about everything about this other than the combat. It doesn't ever feel like your moves are actually connecting to any of the mobs. It doesn't help that most combat encounters are over in under 10 seconds. There's just nothing visceral there at all. It doesn't feel good.

Despite everything else feeling new and cool, the basic "what-you-do" seems very much pulled from the WoW school of MMORPGs. Solo-focused, follow-the-waypoint, quest-driven grindfest.

I was hoping for something new in this field, or at least more encouragement to group. Does that change at all later on?

Kem0sabe

Feels and plays like a cheap f2p mmo. The graphics, the animations, the combat, the pve, didn´t enjoy anything but the interface.

Reikon

So I got stuck and the /stuck command didn't believe I was stuck and said to use my warp thing instead, except I couldn't use my warp thing since I was stuck and it kept getting interrupted. I got lucky and a few minutes later monsters spawned near me and killed me.

Thanks a lot, Funcom. Instead of trying to detect whether or not we're stuck (hey, maybe that's why we got stuck in the first place -- your detection failed), you just listen to commands and warp me a bit?

Effect

So I got stuck and the /stuck command didn't believe I was stuck and said to use my warp thing instead, except I couldn't use my warp thing since I was stuck and it kept getting interrupted. I got lucky and a few minutes later monsters spawned near me and killed me.

Thanks a lot, Funcom. Instead of trying to detect whether or not we're stuck (hey, maybe that's why we got stuck in the first place -- your detection failed), you just listen to commands and warp me a bit?

They said the /stuck command might not work always at the moment. It's listed among current issues on the beta forums.

I am totally fucking down with this game; the lore, the style, the interface. Some small minor annoyances but overall, this is the best MMO I've played in the vein of the WoW style of MMO - I'm incredibly excited by the possibilities of the lore. I actually think I'm going to pre-order.

Does this game remind anyone else of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines?

Kem0sabe

It´s not first person... it´s not about vampires... how is it similar? the stuff going on in TSW is not even covert, shit is hapenning right in front of people´s eyes, at least in vampire you had the masquerade to contend with.

It´s not first person... it´s not about vampires... how is it similar? the stuff going on in TSW is not even covert, shit is hapenning right in front of people´s eyes, at least in vampire you had the masquerade to contend with.

The music, atmosphere around London; an world detracted from the common folk that has an underlying darkness and antiquity to it. Newsflash, Bloodlines wasn't strictly first person, and in TSW, if you zoom in enough I do believe there is a first person view.

If you don't like it, why do you bother posting in here? Back off.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am totally fucking down with this game; the lore, the style, the interface. Some small minor annoyances but overall, this is the best MMO I've played in the vein of the WoW style of MMO - I'm incredibly excited by the possibilities of the lore. I actually think I'm going to pre-order.

Yes, it totally does! I love the atmosphere.

I just wish the basic gameplay stuff didn't give me the impression that it's very standard WoW-fare.

Kem0sabe

The music, atmosphere around London; an world detracted from the common folk that has an underlying darkness and antiquity to it. Newsflash, Bloodlines wasn't strictly first person, and in TSW, if you zoom in enough I do believe there is a first person view.

If you don't like it, why do you bother posting in here? Back off.

TSW´s world is made up of a bunch of cliches and pop culture conspiracy theories \ occult references strung up by a very poor story.

If your interested in the vibe present in bloodlines and redemption (the first one in the series), i recommend the world of darkness vampire the masquerade clan novels, those are good reads.

If they had some inspired gameplay to make the experience fun at least, but god... the combat. In a game where you spend 90% of your time fighting, theres no going around that.

Yes, it totally does! I love the atmosphere.

I just wish the basic gameplay stuff didn't give me the impression that it's very standard WoW-fare.

I agree with you, the more I play. Same thing happened to me with SWTOR that could potentially happen here; burnt out on the lackluster combat systems. I'd be a bit more invested in this game simply because the subject matter is more interesting to me than Star Wars.

TSW´s world is made up of a bunch of cliches and pop culture conspiracy theories \ occult references strung up by a very poor story.

If your interested in the vibe present in bloodlines and redemption (the first one in the series), i recommend the world of darkness vampire the masquerade clan novels, those are good reads.

If they had some inspired gameplay to make the experience fun at least, but god... the combat. In a game where you spend 90% of your time fighting, theres no going around that.

Combat is definitely poor, and there's some issues with things they're trying to do. However, the atmosphere has a unique vibe for an MMO, and is reminiscent of Bloodlines to me with things like music, and the underlying themes. I won't comment on the story because I just started, so I don't think it's fair to critique it at this point.

That's why I said before that it also seems odd story wise that this is a MMO. Seems like this would be great as a single player, but some parts just look and feel off when there are so many other random looking people in normal clothing running around killing stuff. Theres not alot of "secret" in the Secret World.

The setting though I really like, and the way quests are done are fun, but things kinda feel cobbled together.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just went through a quest where I had to find like six different guys throughout town. I ran to each location on the map, fought a group of mobs, completed the objective and proceeded to the next location having to fight off hordes of zombies all the way. By the fourth exactly-the-same encounter I just couldn't continue. I can't handle this type of WoW "questing" stuff anymore.

It doesn't look like grinding mobs is an alternative considering they give something like 200 exp per kill compared to like 40k + for a completed quest. Are there any opportunities to group at the low levels? Chat seems totally dead. How is the grouping experience?

Bunch a pictures from the starting area:

jlaOA.jpg

MR2vw.jpg

8ukFF.jpg

98HKe.jpg

aEEVR.jpg

ruquc.jpg

HSfWv.jpg
Some brief impressions below:

Character creation

Feels very limited at this stage, could use a couple of sliders. There's pretty much no bodily customization, only the choice of what to wear which while limited in the creator isn't a bad thing as I like the idea of buying clothes and whatnot in-game - suitable in this kinda realistic game imho.

Tutorial

Okay, I was only spoilered a bit in this regard (the whole flashback thing) so I thoroughly enjoyed the start of the game. Some decent VA going on and the story captured my interest despite me not being that big of a horror/conspiracy-fan.

Graphics

It's a very pretty game, but there's nothing really about the style of it that makes me go "wow". I guess it's hard to achieve such an effect in a "normal" area such as London, and I must admit that the more fantastical elements of the game do look pretty neat.

Gameplay

From what I've read of GW2, the combat in Secret War follows the same design. You can equip two different weapons, and skills are dependent on what weapons you have equipped. There looks to be a ton of different skills but that they all kinda depend on a particular type of weapon seems like an unwise design choice - they could have gone a lot more creative and crazy.

Another thing I like is how nicely the UI blends into the game world.
Like when you see a quest or a dialogue button, it's like an object in the world that expands to give you a tiny bit of info and the choice to accept (at which point you get a nice cut-scene):

Anyway, some pics for people who don't care about trivialities like that:

LJesG.jpg

D1pch.jpg

9Eu79.jpg

Tried to get a nice action shot

jsbDc.jpg

Then I died

WmKRx.jpg

So I did a corpse run

EGpiS.jpg

T2omF.jpg

That jacket was really impressive.

I came across a lot of clones - this was my evil clone:
hdRAK.jpg

After spending some time with the weekend beta, I'm going to honest and frank, I find that pictures/pics make this game look a lot more interesting than it really is (take that how you will).

Never really played any normal MMO before. Figured I'd give this a shot since I'll be waiting ten years for more Dreamfall because of it.

Turns out I was right to never try MMOs. Can't stand the combat, the camera, the controls...

Might give it another try later, since the stuff that wasn't awkwardly fighting zombies seemed alright.

derFeef

You guys are not even trying to break out of the "wow" questing style. Complaining about the sidemissions but then asking for codes and passwords in the chat because they do not bother to read the questtext or try to solve a puzzle. That's sad. But even the fetch and kill quests give you lore background, I like that.

Also try to not see the Sherriff station as a hub, the whole area is a small sandbox in it's own. There is a reason you can't just stack up quests and walk off and to the "work".

Also Edgars Scrapyard and Agartha is so much Anarchy Online it's not even funny.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
From what I've read of GW2, the combat in Secret War follows the same design. You can equip two different weapons, and skills are dependent on what weapons you have equipped. There looks to be a ton of different skills but that they all kinda depend on a particular type of weapon seems like an unwise design choice - they could have gone a lot more creative and crazy.
The concept between weapons tied to skills is where it ends though. And even in GW2 the class you use plus the weapon results in the skill. A sword (in any given skill-slot) can have as many different skills as there are classes.

The attacking also works differently from GW2. In GW2 you can just hit your skills and you will swing your sword or shoot your bow and it will fly in front of you. In TSW you have to have a valid target in front of you and the Line of Sight has to be valid and the maximum range can not be exceeded.
In GW2 these things will be checked on impact.

TSW is more close to how a MMORPG used to play, while TERA and GW2 both try to be more dynamic.

TheYanger

It's not really like GW2...although there are ground effects for enemy attacks (and all sorts of different styles of them at that, which is nice), and your weapons sort of determine your skills, without the active dodging it still 'feels' extremely different. It's not bad though. I expected to be able to mix between magic/melee/ranged more, but being limited by your weapon is pretty strict.
The atmosphere is thick though, and the soundtrack is great. It definitely sucks you in. Feels very oppressive for a newbie zone.

I like what it does different from wow. It feels more worthwhile to me than most mmos which clone wow much more closely. I don't have the cash or time to sub to it with D3 coming AND GW2 AND still playing wow, which I think is the sad truth for many. I fear the game will get lost in the cracks due to so many other games this year, but it absolutely deserves to do better than SWTOR or Rift if you ask me.

Vistrix

Was hoping to build some kind of support role... Cant see many abilities that would help others rather than myself :\

derFeef

Was hoping to build some kind of support role... Cant see many abilities that would help others rather than myself :\

Blood Magic and Assault rifles have healing abilities. But this whole skill system works really different. You can have the healing passive abilites from assault rifle, while not even carrying one and using two other weapons. It's very freeform but it certainly needs digging.

Kem0sabe

Anyone notice how dead the chat is? no one is even commenting on how they like the game or not. As bad a sign as any.

Compared to the GW weekends, this game looks like it´s gona arrive "dead", hype wise, come release

derFeef

Anyone notice how dead the chat is? no one is even commenting on how they like the game or not. As bad a sign as any.

Compared to the GW weekends, this game looks like it´s gona arrive "dead", hype wise, come release

That's becaues global chat is disabled for public beta. Game is getting great buzz overall, which I did not expect since it sure is a niche product. I don't share your feeling at all.

kami_sama

One question. I thought the game was going to be F2P, but now, you have to buy the game. It's going to be something like GW or it's going to have subscription fee?

Vistrix

Is PvP enabled for this beta? It said that PvP was unlocked but I cant seem to enter the area for it.

Blood Magic and Assault rifles have healing abilities. But this whole skill system works really different. You can have the healing passive abilites from assault rifle, while not even carrying one and using two other weapons. It's very freeform but it certainly needs digging.
Ah ok, thanks. Bit disappointing then...I'll have a look at those skills though. Was hoping for a specific skill set for support.

One question. I thought the game was going to be F2P, but now, you have to buy the game. It's going to be something like GW or it's going to have subscription fee?

I'm pretty sure it was never going to be F2P and the game was always available to preorder...

It will be a monthly subscription game with micro transactions too.

Just started. Running DX11 on Ultra settings and the game looks really nice. Performance is very solid.

Is there a way to pan the camera around so that you can see the front of your character?

LOL

Jumped on some cars, on a phone booth, and over the fence and now I'm stuck. I haven't even been in the game for more than 5 minutes.

Anyone know how to unstuck? I tried /unstuck but it said invalid command.

Also, it keeps setting my resolution to 1680x1050 anytime I ALT+TAB from Fullscreen at 1920x1080.

derFeef

Just started. Running DX11 on Ultra settings and the game looks really nice. Performance is very solid.

Is there a way to pan the camera around so that you can see the front of your character?

Just click with mouse and move it. I have made a new char and I am in London with her right now. her name is Checky ;) Add me if you want.

edit: It should be /stuck

edit2: looks like their servers are taking a break :p
mumble is still open btw.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are not even trying to break out of the "wow" questing style. Complaining about the sidemissions but then asking for codes and passwords in the chat because they do not bother to read the questtext or try to solve a puzzle. That's sad. But even the fetch and kill quests give you lore background, I like that.

Also try to not see the Sherriff station as a hub, the whole area is a small sandbox in it's own. There is a reason you can't just stack up quests and walk off and to the "work".

Also Edgars Scrapyard and Agartha is so much Anarchy Online it's not even funny.

Thanks, I'll try wandering around a bit more the next time I play.

It's just that the game very much filters you in direction of the Sheriff station and doing the quests there.

Are there any grouping opportunities in Kingsmouth, by the way? Outside of like instanced dungeons and what not.

Isomac

Logging off and back in helped me when I got stuck.

Btw is there any other clothing stores than that one in the London? Those clothes where really expensive.

I have to say the game is really interesting... I think I'll pre-order this game soon.

Mr. Hyde

Less than an hour until my download is finished. I'm excited solely due to loving the lore this game is based on and being a Ragnar fan. Are there servers or do we all start at the same place? I'm not exactly sure how the game works outside of the mythology.

ExReey

Played for a couple of hours...

Game is very intriguiing to say the least. Some quests are really great and many times better than the classic WoW kill quests.
The combat is pretty lame though. Hope they'll tweak it.

Effect

I noticed that right away. When looking at other npcs. If you try to take another quest of a certain time it cancels out the other. So you have to focus on one and one really should as what is being told, at least I think so, is pretty interest and entertaining. No need to rush either. People need to remember that there are no levels. You can rush to unlocked skills but why? Just take them as a come and explain the world.

I'm sure people will complain about a lack of content because they will rush through things just to get unlock everything though.

Edit:

I am noticing some issues are that are giving me pause. There is a delay between pressing abilities and them showing on screen. That combined with the crashes I'm getting (Out of Memory but this is a listed known issue on the forums) and having to click to the right of objects and buttons on the interface instead of directly one them is making me have second thoughts. The systems in place seem good to even great. The atmosphere is excellent but its a polish issue it seems.

If things are different next weekend after they've had time to address issues I'm in. If not I'll hold off on getting the game cancel my preorder. I'll still play but I'll give it a few months at that point since there is a LOT I like about the.

TheYanger

The intro cutscene and level felt the absolute weakest to me of the entire game btw for people who are just starting up. Lots of clipping in spots and the dialogue was a bit hokey. Basically, your motivations for getting involved feel pretty half-assed. Once you're in though I quite liked the stories for the individual quests.

Also, anyone that thinks the quests are not unique, make sure you do the Kingsmouth Code from the priest at the church. I don't know how successful this type of quest will prove to be, but it was REFRESHING how much I had to work my brain on that shit. Make sure to make notes, I couldn't figure out how to pull up the images I'd seen previously/old clues, I know they said you can in videos but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how.

I noticed that right away. When looking at other npcs. If you try to take another quest of a certain time it cancels out the other. So you have to focus on one and one really should as what is being told, at least I think so, is pretty interest and entertaining. No need to rush either. People need to remember that there are no levels. You can rush to unlocked skills but why? Just take them as a come and explain the world.

I'm sure people will complain about a lack of content because they will rush through things just to get unlock everything though.

Edit:

I am noticing some issues are that are giving me pause. There is a delay between pressing abilities and them showing on screen. That combined with the crashes I'm getting (Out of Memory but this is a listed known issue on the forums) and having to click to the right of objects and buttons on the interface instead of directly one them is making me have second thoughts. The systems in place seem good to even great. The atmosphere is excellent but its a polish issue it seems.

If things are different next weekend after they've had time to address issues I'm in. If not I'll hold off on getting the game cancel my preorder. I'll still play but I'll give it a few months at that point since there is a LOT I like about the.
I didn't notice any ability delay, what I DID notice is a pretty strict ability queue. IE: if I hit Ability A at any point during my current action, Ability A is GOING to be next, even if it was like a full second or more prior. You have to sort of play 1-2 GCDs ahead of what is playing out because of that.
Example, I played assault rifles:
I hit the first ability (something shot) 5 times to build 5 AR combo points.
If I am mashing the ability, I have to stop mashing it BEFORE the fifth shot starts, IE: I'm doing the 4th combo point attack, and I've hit it once or more since then, I STOP before the fourth attack lands.
If I then mash my consumer, it will fire the instant the fifth shot ends. If I'm mashing the shot instead, and then start mashing my consumer during the fifth shot after I've already accidentily hit my first attack again, then I'll do 6 shots before my finisher and waste an AR point generation.

Every wow-like MMO has an ability queue (otherwise your dps is actually tied to your connection/latency much more than anything else), but this one seems like it's based on 'one ability ahead' rather than an actual ping-based system. In wow you can have like a .1second ability queue, in this it seems EVERY ability queues a full second into the future.

I believe that's what your describing. Took me a minute to get a handle on it and I still wasted shots with some regularity.

Oh that's easy, go to the menu and select your mission journal, under each tier there should be an accompanying picture.

I'll check again when I have time, but when I was checking the mission journal it was just a barebones list of my objectives, I had no pictures or anything like that. And the icons I had next to it were simply "show map" and "share with party" stuff.

The intro cutscene and level felt the absolute weakest to me of the entire game btw for people who are just starting up. Lots of clipping in spots and the dialogue was a bit hokey. Basically, your motivations for getting involved feel pretty half-assed. Once you're in though I quite liked the stories for the individual quests.

Also, anyone that thinks the quests are not unique, make sure you do the Kingsmouth Code from the priest at the church. I don't know how successful this type of quest will prove to be, but it was REFRESHING how much I had to work my brain on that shit. Make sure to make notes, I couldn't figure out how to pull up the images I'd seen previously/old clues, I know they said you can in videos but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how.

Oh that's easy, go to the menu and select your mission journal, under each tier there should be an accompanying picture.

Top Bottom