• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega Genesis turns 25 years old today

kyoya

I believe the model 1 uses the same AC adapter as the Sega CD, which is a Sega MK-1602.

MK-2103 is for the Model 2 and Game Gear. I think the Nomad as well. That one will not work with Model 1s.

Thanks for the info Cody_D165, I appreciate it.

Nocturno999

I remember that I bought it in launch with a few games and a power base converter to play the original Phantasy Star. Great times.

I wish I could find my 6 button Genesis pad. Would tweak it out and use it for fighting games. Best pad ever. Ty Sega for SoR, columns, too many to list

SEGA_CHANNEL_1jpg.JPG

I cannot quantify the amount of joy this gave me. Decades ahead of its time.

HECK YEAH!

I think the only games I owned were Sonic 1 and 2, Sonic & Knuckles (Lost that game T_T), and Mortal Kombat 1 and 3-Ultimate. I forgotten the rest, but then Sega Channel arrives.
Favorite games because of this:
Pulseman
Gunstar Heroes
Vectorman
Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster

IrishNinja

so many greats, but that Strider one holds a special place in my heart.

wish id've bought a CD-X back then! if for no other reason than i could sell it for a Nomad & some stuff today, haha

gimmmick

Still have my genesis my parents bought for me and my brother back 20 years ago. Hope it still works (lost the ac adaptor a couple of years ago). Will be nice to able to show my kids what I played when I was there age.

AmyS

Tom Kalinske gets almost all the credit, and rightfully so, as Genesis did not become a huge success in the U.S. until after he took over. However it was Michael Katz that oversaw the launch, got the price to $189 (TurboGrafx was $199), beat NEC in the largest territory, and the Genesis Does campaign was set in motion under him.

Small victories next to what would later happen in 1991 ~ 1993, but should be recognized all the same.

Michael Katz Interview at Midwest Gaming Classic 2011

I was 4 when the Genesis came out? That makes me feel deprived. Anyway having the Sega channel was awesome, crazy modern consoles are just not getting back to that on demand type of service that was available so many years ago. Sega were the true innovators way back then.

SegaShack

Forever and always the best console. I am still waiting for something to beat it, original Game Boy is close though.

Sonic series
Streets of Rage series
Ristar
Comix Zone
Shining Force
Gunstar Heroes
Kid Chameleon

No first party offering has anything against these bad boys. MS, Nintendo, Sony, as far as I am concerned aren't even close.

KevinRo

I remember I was a little kid in a shopping cart being pushed around a giant warehouse store called Price Club. I saw it for the first time and it was given to me as a gift that same day.

Those were the good days.

IrishNinja

Tom Kalinske gets almost all the credit, and rightfully so, as Genesis did not become a huge success in the U.S. until after he took over. However it was Michael Katz that oversaw the launch, got the price to $189 (TurboGrafx was $199), beat NEC in the largest territory, and the Genesis Does campaign was set in motion under him.

Small victories next to what would later happen in 1991 ~ 1993, but should be recognized all the same.

Michael Katz Interview at Midwest Gaming Classic 2011

yeah, even as a big Kalinske fan, this is a good & important post - Console Wars only spends a bit talking about his contributions, but i bought in during his era, so something worked!

AmyS

Long before the SNES came out here, there were some non-heated conversions at school about Genesis having better looking games than TurboGrafx-16 but that NEC's console had the better playing games.

But by the time school was getting ready to let out for the summer, the heavier hitting Sega advertising against Nintendo and larger software lineup no doubt had the side effect of crushing NEC's mindshare, not to mention its market share which would be next to nothing in the U.S. by the time Sonic came out in mid 1991.

The prices of TurboGrafx-16 games were awfully high. The best example of that was R-Type. At Toys R US it went for $69.99.

It's not like Sega didn't have expensive games either. Phantasy Star II retailed for $79.99 (6 'Mega Memory' plus a 110 page hint book in March 1990) but that was more understandable for such a large game plus the extra hint book in color, plus a map, not counting the instruction manual.

Even after I got a TG-16 a year after Genesis, I still saw R-Type in TRU for $69.99. Mind you, this was before the era of "BOMBA, price cuts", GameStop pre-owned games, and HD games costing an extra $10 over the standard $49.99 that started with the 360 / PS3 gen.

Top Bottom