• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter: The Official Thread

TheExodu5 said:
Got a video recorded. Not HD quality since I recorded half-size in FRAPS, but not bad. I might try to get an HD video up tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffpm5j86DmY
the sound goes totally out of sync for some reason. probably the youtube upload that went wrong to be honest.

also, you know i told you about parts of the enviroment flickering in and out of existance? you can see it happen at 2:08. at 2:08 exactly actually. pause the video, slide it to 2:08 then hit play and watch a large part of the environment magically reappear.

dunno why it happens at all and it rarely happens, but it is a little distracting.

TheExodu5

Banned
plagiarize said:
the sound goes totally out of sync for some reason. probably the youtube upload that went wrong to be honest.

also, you know i told you about parts of the enviroment flickering in and out of existance? you can see it happen at 2:08. at 2:08 exactly actually. pause the video, slide it to 2:08 then hit play and watch a large part of the environment magically reappear.

dunno why it happens at all and it rarely happens, but it is a little distracting.

I'll take a look in a quick second.

Anyways, I re-recorded the battle, now trying full size recording (which seems to work fine with no slowdowns), and I'm encoding using 44.1KHz now (instead of 48KHz). I think it should produce a nice video. Only thing is the 2.5 minute file is 6GB, so Fraps split it into 2, so I need to figure out how to append them.

edit: well the video stops at 150 seconds out of the original 161 seconds. 150/161 is almost exactly 44.1/48, so I'm 99% positive that's the issue.

epmode

Joseph Merrick said:
realise you're giving money to eurogamer

:suicide
Still the most well-written reviews on the internet.

And before you complain:
Show me a better site. Please. I'd love to have something else to read at work.

Teknoman

The only thing I dont like is the quality of the muzzle flashes. Sometimes they dont even pop up.

However, I do like the way some of the larger enemies dissolve into ash...you can even hear the crispy material dissolving :D Music is awesome.

Also if no one else makes a Serious steam group, i'll do it later today.

RPS! dicuss 16 reasons why you should buy Serious Sam HD, most important of all?

fymib4.jpg

:D

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11/25/16-reasons-why-you-should-play-serious-sam-hd/#more-21655

epmode said:
Still the most well-written reviews on the internet. And before you complain: Show me a better site. Please. I'd love to have something else to read at work.
you get me wrong, the eurogamer people are SCUMBAGS.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone have any issues with their mouse running at 1800DPI?

It was going way too fast, i even dropped the mouse sensitivity down to 0 and it still felt a bit crazy :lol

Might have to tweak it some more tonight.

plagiarize said:
even though some of them are technically developers (like Levellord) they're actually fans rather than developers.

Ah cool. A guy i knew back when SS came out had his name in the credits, I was so jealous :lol

epmode

evlcookie said:
Does anyone have any issues with their mouse running at 1800DPI?

It was going way too fast, i even dropped the mouse sensitivity down to 0 and it still felt a bit crazy :lol

Might have to tweak it some more tonight.
The default mouse speed is wayyyyyyyy too high. I had to use that DPI switch on my G5 to make it playable.

I'm running at a very high resolution so that might have something to do with it.

DaveKap

Banned
I loved the original, I love the new HD version, but I feel sad when I go to the leaderboards and see that only 5000+ people have played single player and only 3000- people have played co-op. :( I really hope that when they bring the eventual mods or 2nd Encounter, we see a pick-up in that number. Or at least a nice bump over Thanksgiving. Nothing says family holiday like Serious Sam for desert!

Cirruss

Does anyone know whether or not buying it anywhere other than steam or through that eurogamer site will allow me to bind the key to steam allow me to download it through steam as if I had purchased it through steam?

DaveKap said:
I loved the original, I love the new HD version, but I feel sad when I go to the leaderboards and see that only 5000+ people have played single player and only 3000- people have played co-op. :( I really hope that when they bring the eventual mods or 2nd Encounter, we see a pick-up in that number. Or at least a nice bump over Thanksgiving. Nothing says family holiday like Serious Sam for desert!

I'm going to buy this game once I upgrade my pc, so add +1 to that. :lol What kind of frame rates are you guys getting on this?

Sciz

2h3dbix.jpg

Top of the world, ma (at least until the guys who really know what they're doing finish). Serious difficulty is what I remember this game being like (kleers everywhere), and it's still hard as nails.

nextgeneration said:
I'm going to buy this game once I upgrade my pc, so add +1 to that. :lol What kind of frame rates are you guys getting on this?
Generally nice and smooth with a 4850 at 4x AA. Water drags it down a fair bit, but it looks so good that I can't bear to tweak it down any.

Daigoro

Sciz said:
Top of the world, ma (at least until the guys who really know what they're doing finish). Serious difficulty is what I remember this game being like (kleers everywhere), and it's still hard as nails.

just watched that movie the other day. :D

nice score, congrats!

i need to buy this game ASAP.

Almak

Been having fun with it. The only complaint is that graphical settings customization is so convoluted to access. Otherwise, well its Serious Sam! You kind of know what to expect going in.

This game is a great representation of how awesome demo versions used to be (its a whole separate freaking level!) and how pitiful they are now (for the most part).

vazel

Banned
I impulse bought this when I saw co-op(I'm still high on L4D1/2 and Borderlands) and I haven't regretted a game purchase this much ever. This is at most a $10 game. Fuck too bad I can't return Steam purchases. And on top of that I have audio issues(I know a patch is coming I'm not sure my copy will still be installed by then though). The online community for co-op is moribund and sucks. No one ever talks but I guess in a mindless game like this there's no need to and games shut down all the time because it's hosted by P2P.

vazel said:
I impulse bought this when I saw co-op(I'm still high on L4D1/2 and Borderlands) and I haven't regretted a game purchase this much ever. This is at most a $10 game. Fuck too bad I can't return Steam purchases. And on top of that I have audio issues(I know a patch is coming I'm not sure my copy will still be installed by then though).

Seriously? I just can't understand how someone can outright dislike a Serious Sam game. Sure its not clever, but there's just no substitute for mindless, reflex driven shooting once in a while, especially when its packed with bright colours and humour. Its a great change of pace from the brown monotony that a lot of modern gaming has become.

MMaRsu

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Hmmm...that's probably not me...but it might be. That's my character model, and I was playing in a 16 man server fighting the last boss at like 3-4am EST. :lol

14.jpg

?

Also I need to know when this is coming to XBLA exactly, and for how many points. Let's hope it's 800 and not 1200, because I want to play coop with people and 1200 could be a turnoff for some.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MMaRsu said:
14.jpg

?

Also I need to know when this is coming to XBLA exactly, and for how many points. Let's hope it's 800 and not 1200, because I want to play coop with people and 1200 could be a turnoff for some.

It's a $20 game, so probably 1600 points.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sinatar said:
It's a $20 game, so probably 1600 points.

Jesus. I mean I'll buy it regardless but 1600 is way too much. XBLA rarely become hits at that price. At that point it's not really an impulse buy anymore, like something like Trials HD is.

MMaRsu said:

$20 on PC, means there's probably no chance it'll be 800 points. 1200 is more than fair imo, there's a lot more content than your average Arcade title here, and that's still cheaper than the PC version.

Sciz

Cow Mengde said:
The aiming looks jerky. Are you using dual analog or something?
There's a slight amount of lag if you make very quick movements, and the crosshair zooms in and out relative to the distance to your target. Apparently they're going to patch in a toggle for the zooming, but it's very precise as is.

Darklord

Banned
Are there many people playing online? Not sure if I could pick this up now or just wait till my friends get it later on.

Darklord said:
Are there many people playing online? Not sure if I could pick this up now or just wait till my friends get it later on.
There are always people playing, though it can be hard to find a server with good ping. If you have a connection good enough to host your own server then I don't think there'll be a shortage of companions.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Darklord said:

Why didn't you join us aussies last night? FAIL! :D

We played through the entire campaign last night. Started with 4 people then 2 extra's joined and it dropped back to 3 for the last half of the guy. 3hrs 30 minutes later we were victorious!

It's still a fun game after all these years. It still drags on though towards the end. Hopefully SS3 doesn't have the same issues.

pestul

I see the texture work is as impressive as ever. No other game at that time came close to SS and SS:SE in textures.

Kritz

Banned
Evl, I'd totally play the game again on a higher difficulty again some time. Freaking love Serious Sam First Encounter.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think this is the only game that makes me move around in my seat, physically dodging all the crazy stuff that comes flying out at you :lol Its hilarious, makes me laugh when I'm ducking around like I'm at a 3d movie or something.

TheExodu5

Banned
MicVlaD said:
Could you write a step-by-step "tutorial" in this thread of how (precisely) you fixed the audio sync delay? I've tried fixing this by lowering the frequency rate or whatever to 44.1 KHz after looking for a solution on Google, but the results were still exactly the same on my end.

These were my settings (note the original sampling rate, and the re-encoded sampling rate in the summary window on the right):

Audio:
menc_audio.jpeg

Video:
menc_video.jpeg

Patch is out:

Updates to Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter have been released.

-Fixed crashing on cut scene with the Ugh Zan boss on some machines.

-Fixed not storing keyboard and mouse bindings on some machines.

-Sound system through XAudio2 API now correctly supports various speakers setups (mono, stereo, stereo LFE 2.1, quadraphonic 4.0, surround 5.0, surround LFE 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1).

-Fixed problem when sound system (XAudio2 API) cannot be initialized on audio configs that support and use sample rate higher than 48KHz.

-Added sfx_iAudioDevice cvar, used to select sound device used by the game (0=default device, 1=2nd device and so on).

-Maximum allowed sample rate used by XAudio2 mixer can now be set with 'xad_iMaxSampleRate' cvar (0=unlimited, use what's set by system).

-Improved dynamic texture upload control, which should lessen stuttering when entering new scenes.

-Updated autodetection for Radeon HD4600 series boards.

-Completely reworked the chat console. It now uses a larger font, scales with the HUD, supports word wrap, limits line length, etc.

-Player name in short list limited to 25 characters.

-Added cvars hud_bShowShortPlayerList and hud_fShortPlayerListScale.

-Added plr_bAllowPlayerAutoJump cvar.

-Added hud_bFixedCroshair cvar.

-Fixed cases where player names would show up as [unknown] in coop games.

-Removed tooltip which collides with the refresh button on join game menu.

-Improved error logging when crashing.

-Updated string input menu to allow menu exit via Num Enter key.

No dedicated servers. =(

Sinatar

SuperEnemyCrab said:
No dedicated servers. =(

They are coming, same press release that announced Second Encounter mentioned that dedicated servers and deathmatch are coming to FE.

Sciz

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Patch is out:

No dedicated servers. =(
No new features yet, but that does address the entire pile of bugs and UI quirks I've heard complaints about. Fast work.

Sciz

Via Devolver's twitter:
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter on XBLA got the 'ol bumperooski to January. Get you Microsoft moon dollars ready...
At this rate, Second Encounter HD will be a summer release on the system.

Darklord

Banned
How the HELL do I get past the bit in the Metropolis level when you grab the minigun? I can take the Bulls out ok but then the Skeletons keep coming and coming and coming. I threw all my grenades, rockets, lasers and minigun ammo at them and they didn't stop.

ArjanN

Darklord said:
How the HELL do I get past the bit in the Metropolis level when you grab the minigun? I can take the Bulls out ok but then the Skeletons keep coming and coming and coming. I threw all my grenades, rockets, lasers and minigun ammo at them and they didn't stop.

The enemies in Serious Sam never spawn infinitely, you just need to kill more.

Whenever they get too close move backwards, remember to use the entire length of the area you are locked in to. I prefer the chaingun against the skeletons.
If they're still far away you can use the rocket launcher since it does splash damage.

Darklord said:

Switch to 3rd person view. It's easier to dodge and jump in 3rd person.

Philthy

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Sinatar

Darklord said:

:lol That's my favourite part of the game, soooo many enemies.

Top Bottom