• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Souls Retrospective | Easy Allies

Strings

Bit disappointed they didn't mention the anecdote that inspired the creation of the cooperation system:

"The origin of that idea is actually due to a personal experience where a car suddenly stopped on a hillside after some heavy snow and started to slip," says Miyazaki. "The car following me also got stuck, and then the one behind it spontaneously bumped into it and started pushing it up the hill... That's it! That's how everyone can get home! Then it was my turn and everyone started pushing my car up the hill, and I managed to get home safely."

"But I couldn't stop the car to say thanks to the people who gave me a shove. I'd have just got stuck again if I'd stopped. On the way back home I wondered whether the last person in the line had made it home, and thought that I would probably never meet the people who had helped me. I thought that maybe if we'd met in another place we'd become friends, or maybe we'd just fight..."

"You could probably call it a connection of mutual assistance between transient people. Oddly, that incident will probably linger in my heart for a long time. Simply because it's fleeting, I think it stays with you a lot longer... like the cherry blossoms we Japanese love so much."

It's one of my favourite behind the scenes stories. Other than that, great stuff.

sublimit

Banned
Bit disappointed they didn't mention the anecdote that inspired the creation of the cooperation system:

It's one of my favourite behind the scenes stories. Other than that, great stuff.

Whoa!That was very interesting and i've never read that before! From which interview is it from?

GHG

Gold Member
Just watched this. Great video. It's crazy to think there were so many points in its history where there was the possibility that it either wouldn't exist at all or make it to the west.

AmyS

King's Field was released December 16, 1994 in Japan for PlayStation a few weeks after the console's launch, not in 1996 as said in the video.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
What's the name of the guy doing the narration? Same guy who does the writing & edit?

Retrospective were my favorite part of Gametrailers. I downloaded them and burned them to DVD for watching back in the day. So glad to find whomever doing them again at Easy Allies. Subbed!

Strings

What's the name of the guy doing the narration? Same guy who does the writing & edit?

Brandon Jones is responsible for the narration and edit, while Bradley Ellis is behind the script (although that changes).

Check out their podcasts too - love and respect, etc :)

Gryph

Man... The ideas and direction of these games is so important to the modern game landscape. It sort of blows my mind looking at it in hindsight...

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Brandon Jones is responsible for the narration and edit, while Bradley Ellis is behind the script (although that changes).

Check out their podcasts too - love and respect, etc :)

I might... I'm already behind on so many podcasts tho. Could always use more quality edited video content, however, so I'm glad to make the connection (finally) that these guys were those other guys!

Man, as to Demon's Souls... I'm not sure where I caught wind of the game early... maybe the Gamers With Jobs Conference Call? I managed to order and snag one of the Collector's Editions.

This came with a strategy guide whose intrepid author clearly penned without access to online features affecting world and character tendency, which contained clear instructions on how to achieve them without an online connection. It was also extremely thorough and full of good maps and strategy and full item guides, etc. While the rest of the internet shared and discovered together, I did so in isolation...

...therefore I fucked up and went after and got the Brushwood Armor very early, and chunky rolled my way through the first two worlds before getting stuck for years at the Tower of Latria. I had been hoarding Demon's Souls for weapon crafting, again an idea lifted from the guide, and I was just too slow and tanky, dying everywhere.

Years later I came back and busted open all those major Demon's Souls and went and had a long talk with the Maiden, came back and stomped through the rest of the Tower and the Swamps and the Gargoyle walkways. I promptly proceeded to get stuck again somewhere in the Shrine of Storms, where I remain stuck to this day.

>:|

1w8kwj.jpg

This retrospective is disappointing. Part 1 is only about Demon's Souls. Since there's 5 "Souls" games does that mean there will be 5 parts? That's a lot.

It doesn't have THAT much about Demons Soul's development or attempt to connect how it was influenced by other works. It does include a lot of Demons Soul's spoilers, unfortunately.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
kinda strange that they go from 'demon's souls released in japan, doesn't do well' to 'picked up by atlus, released in west' without ever mentioning the large number of western importers who i'm sure were at least partially responsible for atlus's doing this :) ...

They did mention strong word of mouth, which is essentially the result of people importing.

I remember first reading about Demon's on Eurogamer, when they reviewed the import version back in 2009. The article is a bit juvenile in comparison to EZA's polished retrospective, but by gum if it didn't get me excited.

I remember the joy of finding the Asian version at my local CEX, and once again, when the Black Phantom Edition arrived at my work place on day 1 of EU release.

Can't wait for part 2!

This retrospective is disappointing. Part 1 is only about Demon's Souls. Since there's 5 "Souls" games does that mean there will be 5 parts? That's a lot.

It doesn't have THAT much about Demons Soul's development or attempt to connect how it was influenced by other works. It does include a lot of Demons Soul's spoilers, unfortunately.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Surely there's more interesting things to talk about than the biggest spoilers you could find on gamefaqs.

diablogod

I mean if you're watching a retrospective for a game series, there is going to be spoilers for the whole game series. This isn't Noclip which is a deep dive into the development of a game or some interesting story around it. This is a look back at an entire game series, looking at where it started, what the foundation was and how they slowly built upon it and maybe where the series is headed.

Imbarkus

Seems like the same quality I remember from the Gametrailers Retrospectives back in the day, a nice general survey with enough in-depth stuff to entertain people who don't already know all the details about the topic, but not so much as to bore that same audience.

Obviously if you want obsessive in-depth lore dive retrospectives for the Souls series there's other options available. Me, I always liked this style, so much so I had to go find the snapshot of the custom DVD's with covers I made for GT Retrospectives:

retros.png

I did notice Brandon has more noticeable vocal fry than he used to. If he smokes, he should consider quitting!

Actually, I'm pretty positive it WILL be 5 parts. So yeah, buckle in.

Souls games haven't clicked with me, but always enjoy Easy Allies/GT Retrospectives. Hopefully I see something in these that will motivate me to give them another chance, if not, just will enjoy this series as I'm always interested in these deep dives on games.

Actually, I'm pretty positive it WILL be 5 parts. So yeah, buckle in.

Souls games haven't clicked with me, but always enjoy Easy Allies/GT Retrospectives. Hopefully I see something in these that will motivate me to give them another chance, if not, just will enjoy this series as I'm always interested in these deep dives on games.

Didn't they confirm 5 parts a week or two ago?

I vaguely remember GAF's reaction to Demon's Souls' announcement at TGS 2008 back when I was still a lurker. There were a few people interested in it as a King's Field spiritual successor but most were just laughing at how bad it looked. White Knight Chronicles was the big PS3 exclusive JRPG everyone was hyping up instead It's funny how things turn out.

After that, Demon's Souls jumped back up on my radar shortly after it came out and there were a bunch of importers raving about it. So I ended up importing a copy myself but only beat a few levels before I got stuck and gave up. I didn't pick it back up until 2014, at which point I completely finished and loved it.

While I've finished Bloodborne, I shamefully still need to go back and play the Dark Souls trilogy. I bought Dark Souls 1 forever ago but just never got around to playing it, mainly because I got back into Demon's Souls so late and then felt like I needed a break after Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

...have you not seen the any other GameTrailers/Easy Allies retrospectives?

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, if you want to know what Miyazaki was eating when he came up with Demon's Souls, this series probably isn't for you.

It just goes over the series generally, and I personally like it. I'm not a hardcore fan, only played Bloodborne and half of DS1, so what info they give me is right for me.

Cess007

Man, I will never get tired of hearing about Demon's Souls. Even when some of the info it's something I already know, I still love hearing it again. Can't wait for the next episodes!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That was cool. Thanks for sharing.

A few nitpicks (some of which have been brought up already):

> I wish they'd talk more about some of the gameplay concepts and mechanics, such as the stamina system, the lack of checkpoints in a long level compensated by clever shortcuts, or how world tendency could unlock secret areas or spawn new enemies.

> The part about the starting class having "unique abilities" is just wrong. Starting class affects starting equipment and stats, that's it.

> It mentions the manga influence, but gives zero examples. Now, Berserk is obvious (though for those who are not familiar with it, examples would still have been nice), but Saint Seiya and Jojo? Miyazaki did cite these two mangas as inspiration for the Thorn Armour in Dark Souls (not Demon's), but that's it -- just one piece of armour. To claim that the games themselves drew significant inspiration from these manga is misleading.

Just some nitpicks though, overall it's a good video and I enjoyed the nostalgia bomb. Even had shivers a few times!

It's so funny how I almost wrote this game off forever, too, and now it's possibly my all-time favourite and the game responsible for drawing me back into gaming. I found some really old posts of mine from late 2009 (not on GAF) that are hilarious in retrospect (and one incredibly puzzling reply from a guy that I had completely forgotten about, but it's so off-base that I wonder if he wasn't taking the piss):

guy who was apparently lied to said:
I heard it was one big, under-sexed basement dwelling manchild fanservice, but of course I can't confirm that. Beware though.
lol wut. Demon's Souls has got to be the very least fanservicey game of all time, if anything. Wonder where that bizarre comment came from (dude wasn't a troll or anything, just hopelessly misinformed).

Still astounding to me that that the King's Field and Eternal Ring guys became one of the most respected developers in gaming, and created one of the most renowned franchises of the last couple generations.

They were seen by most as that bottom-of-the-barrel developer that made janky PS1 and launch period PS2 RPGs. Armored Core got a bit of love, but everything else was almost universally derided. Demon's Souls was initially written off by most gamers and people in the games press as just another weird, awkward, slow mess destined for the bargin bin. Even Sony, the company that funded the project to begin with, fell into that hole.

Just an amazing reversal in perception. I acutally think the PS3's initial struggles with exclusive software helped it to get more attention than it otherwise would have.
So true. I remember seeing Eternal Ring and King's Field in those bins so often in video game stores and rental stores, hahaha.

Mikey Jr.

That was cool. Thanks for sharing.

A few nitpicks (some of which have been brought up already):

> I wish they'd talk more about some of the gameplay concepts and mechanics, such as the stamina system, the lack of checkpoints in a long level compensated by clever shortcuts, or how world tendency could unlock secret areas or spawn new enemies.

> The part about the starting class having "unique abilities" is just wrong. Starting class affects starting equipment and stats, that's it.

> It mentions the manga influence, but gives zero examples. Now, Berserk is obvious (though for those who are not familiar with it, examples would still have been nice), but Saint Seiya and Jojo? Miyazaki did cite these two mangas as inspiration for the Thorn Armour in Dark Souls (not Demon's), but that's it -- just one piece of armour. To claim that the games themselves drew significant inspiration from these manga is misleading.

Just some nitpicks though, overall it's a good video and I enjoyed the nostalgia bomb. Even had shivers a few times!

It's so funny how I almost wrote this game off forever, too, and now it's possibly my all-time favourite and the game responsible for drawing me back into gaming. I found some really old posts of mine from late 2009 (not on GAF) that are hilarious in retrospect (and one incredibly puzzling reply from a guy that I had completely forgotten about, but it's so off-base that I wonder if he wasn't taking the piss):

lol wut. Demon's Souls has got to be the very least fanservicey game of all time, if anything. Wonder where that bizarre comment came from (dude wasn't a troll or anything, just hopelessly misinformed).

So true. I remember seeing Eternal Ring and King's Field in those bins so often in video game stores and rental stores, hahaha.

Great criticisms.

Easy Allies guys usually look at all criticism, so I'm sure they'll look at yours.

III-V

They mentioned in the video that Demon Souls was influenced by early dragon quest games. Does anyone know exactly where, what is the reference?

Piichan

Banned
Great stuff. Only thing that irked me was calling Bandai Namco "Namco Bandai". It's a small thing, but no one says "Enix Square" either.

kyubajin

Can’t wait to watch the vid, I have very fond memories of the GT retrospectives and their amazing quality. Glad to see they’re back.

As for Demon’s Souls, I still remember the day I saw the trailer for it and got hyped immediately! I basically bought a PS3 for that game. It was my first import game as well (I live in Spain) and even rebought it when I came out here.

Like many of you, Demon’s Souls was the one game that drew me back into loving gaming.

I'm a $5 tier patron and I get them. I think that's the cutoff

Ah actually I'm lookign at their Patreon page now, the post for the retrospective seems to have a $1+ tier lock on it. If that's all it takes I might just sign up. I like the Easy Allies guys but ended up with other Patreon priorities (e.g., PC Perspective), whereas EA seemed to have lots of support anyway. I think I might just sign up for a couple bucks for now.

ToonLink

Ah actually I'm lookign at their Patreon page now, the post for the retrospective seems to have a $1+ tier lock on it. If that's all it takes I might just sign up. I like the Easy Allies guys but ended up with other Patreon priorities (e.g., PC Perspective), whereas EA seemed to have lots of support anyway. I think I might just sign up for a couple bucks for now.

Yeah, that's right. I'm a $1 patron at the moment and just finished watching it.

Murkas

Demon's Souls was amazing.

I remember importing it shortly after the Asian release date, think it was on GameFAQS where I heard it, saw some videos and saw that it was being compared to Monster Hunter which I also loved at the time and thought fuck it, imported it for £60 on ebay. This was during a time where I felt "next gen" was just so fucking boring, like no games at the time interested me and it felt like every hyped up triple A game was press left trigger to aim and right trigger to shoot.

Top Bottom