• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

Mr. RHC

12 videos? You mean ones where he just sits in front of a camera and rambles on about wrestling or movies for an hour?

It's hour long fucking Wrestlemania videos with absolutely 0 production.

Come on now. It might as well be nothing.

This is content anyone could do. I really enjoy the dudes proper work, but to me, this is throwaway content... There's no work, no preperation, no witty writing or fleshed out references to other works. It's literally just sitting in front of a camera for an hour at a time and sharing an opinion.

I'd love more game reviews, legit movie reviews, board game reviews, D&D reviews, riff theaters... Anything.

I'm not watching his Wrestling movies but I think there a quite a few people who enjoy his output. 30k to 40k(youtube) is quite the following imo for just talking in front of a camera.

I also don't think anyone could just talk about Wrestling, not in the Spoony way at least.

He wouldn't get the support if people didn't enjoy his works. I don't know why I should compare him to other reviewers whom I never watch.
I guess you want to see more and bigger things on a more regular basis. I think it's not going to happen unless Spoony really wants to change his program.

Veelk

Banned
His Patreon is racking in 4k a month for him. I don't even make that much, and I work 40 hour weeks.

4k a month for.....this.

And? I'm not being rhetorical, I genuinely don't really get why I am supposed to be angry about this. There are other people live on interest, so they do absolutely nothing, while others work 60 hours for pittance. Work and income proportions vary on hundreds of factors and I don't really see the productivity in being angry over it. Meanwhile, patreon is a system I think just self checks itself since the users are directly choosing to give money for a performance out of their own volition. While the money going to Spoony helps him live, which is conducive to the work progress, the fact that I don't have to pay anything at all for the work he is going to produce atleast in the immediate future makes it a more fair system than most in my eyes.

If you're angry about Spoony getting that much money for a lack of content, it seems your anger should be directed at the people choosing to give him that much rather than spoony himself, as they are the ones who make that system work.

Tenebrous

I'm not watching his Wrestling movies but I think there a quite a few people who enjoy his output. 30k to 40k(youtube) is quite the following imo for just talking in front of a camera.

I also don't think anyone could just talk about Wrestling, not in the Spoony way at least.

He wouldn't get the support if people didn't enjoy his works. I don't know why I should compare him to other reviewers whom I never watch.
I guess you want to see more and bigger things on a more regular basis. I think it's not going to happen unless Spoony really wants to change his program.

I appreciate that my comment might have seen a little harsh. Plenty of people have similar if not more knowledge than him when it comes to wrestling, but they aren't him, so their popularity might be lesser (or more) because of it.
I also have no interest in wrestling... At all.

I don't expect to see bigger and better things on a regular basis. I just hope to see some content that's had some work put into it, because that's when I think the guy is at his best. This year, he released the Massacre at Central High vids, and those were pretty damn cool! But that's the only video he's released this year which hasn't been a Vlog (not including the Skullduggery remaster). The drop in quality, or the change in direction, however you wish to see it, has been drastic overall.

Even if Spoony's wrestling vlogs are "no effort productions" he generally knows his stuff and his opinion and insight into why things do or don't work in the wwe is very enjoyable. Yes I wish he would put out more major game/movie reviews but as long as he keeps doing the wwe ppv vlogs I'll keep tuning in.

I don't support his patreon cause lol

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I've never donated to Spoony, but I've always held the opinion that he's erratic at publishing, but he delivers when he finally does release a review. So I can't really hold low production against him when he still manages a quality end product.

I also have trouble fretting about other people opting to give him money. That's what they decided to do. It's not my job to police Spoony over stuff other people did. Just seems insane to me.

knkng

Even if Spoony's wrestling vlogs are "no effort productions" he generally knows his stuff and his opinion and insight into why things do or don't work in the wwe is very enjoyable. Yes I wish he would put out more major game/movie reviews but as long as he keeps doing the wwe ppv vlogs I'll keep tuning in.

I don't support his patreon cause lol

His current wrestling Vlogs are decent enough content-wise, although I wish they were properly structured (he used to work off of notes in his earlier ones). And speaking of earlier Vlogs, nothing will ever come close to the glory days of "Wrestle Wrestle" back when he was reviewing TNA on a weekly basis, lol.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I too must admit I am a little surprised to the low volume of output. I haven't checked his work in months and if you don't care about wrestling or unstructured movie impressions that are as long as the film he's talking about itself, there's not a lot left. I suppose not caring about the stuff that he does put out is on me though, so whatever.

Somebody seemingly told him to get good and he proceeded to insult his mother in a very unfitting way.
The "git gud" mantra that gets parroted is annoying as hell, and putting up with it is easily the hardest part of playing Souls games. I don't blame anyone for not putting up with it.

PKrockin

I'm kind of dogpiling on the negativity at this point, but I got the now semi-yearly "I wonder what Spoony has done since I last checked? Man I sure hope he's got some reviews or riffs up!" hankering, only to visit his site and see pretty much nothing but the odd vlog this whole half of 2015.

It confuses me because I thought he had a successful patreon. I checked, and he does. In fact he earns enough to probably make a comfortable living from it. I just don't get it. Does he have a full-time job or something now? Is he still struggling with whatever mental illness he had before? Where are the time consuming videos that make a patreon necessary?

I love Spoony. I've been watching since 2008. Phantasmagoria is one of my favorite LPs of all time and my family and I still reference his Dragon Strike riff. I'm just really disappointed that now that he has the financial security to enable him to make the time consuming videos like riffs and reviews he seems to have completely stopped even though I think that's what most of his fans want. I'm surprised people haven't been pulling out of his patreon honestly. Or maybe they have, I dunno. If I donated I wouldn't be happy though.

G-Fex

Folks are annoying as fuck in chats during a dark souls stream, its why I put it on a hiatus and don't cast it anymore. Fucking backseating fucks.

El Topo

His current wrestling Vlogs are decent enough content-wise, although I wish they were properly structured (he used to work off of notes in his earlier ones). And speaking of earlier Vlogs, nothing will ever come close to the glory days of "Wrestle Wrestle" back when he was reviewing TNA on a weekly basis, lol.

Those TNA reviews were glorious.
"He was abducted by ninjas. Ninjas! Call the cops, there's ninjas kidnapping people!"

G-Fex

7oQRjnL.jpg

rofl

Tenebrous

Uh I know were past the complaining but geez, i'm so done with any content until it's a review again.

Looks like you're in luck. He's just done a live stream of FFXIII-2, and the description is...

"Collecting some additional footage that I need. Might not talk much."

So yeah, FF13-2 review soon, hopefully!

convo

Looks like you're in luck. He's just done a live stream of FFXIII-2, and the description is...

So yeah, FF13-2 review soon, hopefully!

I was sure FF13s sequels would have crushed him by now, but he does seem to want to finish it.

G-Fex

He doesn't want to see mad max and doesn't give any fucks about it.

Following him on twitter is annoying and funny at the same time.

G-Fex

Funny coming from someone who always references Thunderdome...

He pretty much believes that there can't be no modern continuation of shit from the 80's cause it's a different time.

I sort of thought the same way for a long time but I've been more open minded lately.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

He literally did the same thing for Guardians of the Galaxy. His reasoning? "It used the 'Ooga Chaka' song in the trailer".

Spoony's the king of flimsy-ass reasoning.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He literally did the same thing for Guardians of the Galaxy. His reasoning? "It used the 'Ooga Chaka' song in the trailer".

Spoony's the king of flimsy-ass reasoning.

His refusal to play Final Fantasy IX applies as well
"Art style is stupid. Stupid androgynous protagonist" ... Even though Zidane is probably one of the "manlier" protagonists Final Fantasy has ever had.

LiK

was hoping for some content with the thread bump but it looks like he's still hasn't produced anything worthwhile. man, what happened to him. his movie and game reviews were godly. what a waste. i truly miss the old Spoony when he gave a shit.

i unfollowed him a long time ago. he's not even witty or clever. just balls out rants with too much random comics/WWE crap.

"Art style is stupid. Stupid androgynous protagonist" ... Even though Zidane is probably one of the "manlier" protagonists Final Fantasy has ever had.

wow, seriously? he went through reviewing garbage like FFVIII and FFXIII but not FFIX?

PaulBizkit

The only videos I like from spoony are the FF rants because they are incredibly funny, spot-on and just amazing. The rest of the content... is not really my cup of tea.

Wake me up when spoony attacks another FF game
or talks about something that is not board games and wrestling

Toxi

Banned
The only videos I like from spoony are the FF rants because they are incredibly funny, spot-on and just amazing. The rest of the content... is not really my cup of tea.

Wake me up when spoony attacks another FF game
or talks about something that is not board games and wrestling
Spoony's Ultima series is great and probably my favorite video game-related thing he's done. I love seeing the evolution of the series over time through his eyes, and the jokes are some of his best.

PKrockin

what's a paladin?
Do you take me for a common fool?

I had never played or even heard much of Ultima before I watched his retrospective, but it was interesting to see how EA's usual strategy of buying out beloved IPs and buttfucking them goes back all the way to the 90s. It's pretty unforgivable.

Tenebrous

He'd love it if he could get over the artstyle.

Metal B

Yeah, it is a very stupid reason, but i can understand it. For example Linkara's newest video is about a steampunk version of Star Wars, which sounds awesome and has good artwork. But the western artist gave every human character those big Anime-Eyes, which just don't fit with the overall style. Didn't even finish the review, since it was annoying me so much.

In the defence of Spoony at least did he acknowledge, that he properly would have liked Final Fantasy IX, since it is a very old-school approach on the series.

Red Mage

He'd love it if he could get over the artstyle.

I have to admit I hated the design when I was younger. Especially Zidane's. However, I think the main reason he doesn't review IX or XII is that they have much less Riff-potential than VIII, X, or XIII.

It's pretty sad to see him basically go out like this.

I remember when I first found him and binged all his retro reviews and SWAT vids back in 08/09, when he was still rolling out his FF8 vids.

Then Spoony basically had a mental breakdown live on twitter and lit an inferno on 99% of his bridges. I think one of the lowest points I've seen was when he was going to movies alone, coming home getting shitfaced and doing VLOGS

After that there was a small window of good content, his early counter monkey stories were great and had some good Reb movies, along with Ultima. After that though, seems things just went off a cliff production wise to the point where I was checking in once every three months to see if he has done something other than a 2 hour long rant of a movie or some wrestle shit.

I watched him live stream some pixel horror game and he had shitty interent or something, so I was joking with chat and said "Have you tried turning it off and on again" which triggered him into some rant and acted all offended, "Dude I took IT in college", "That joke is so old". Yes Spoony, it's a shitty joke, that's kinda the point.

I hope Spoony is alright mentally, can't imagine being bipolar mismedicated for years on end, I just hope we don't get another implosion like when Scarlet left if his current GF stuff doesn't work out. Either way, he's simply far too toxic to follow at this point, and the fact people trusted him with 4K a month with his past production rate is laughable.

Jawmuncher

It's pretty sad to see him basically go out like this.

I remember when I first found him and binged all his retro reviews and SWAT vids back in 08/09, when he was still rolling out his FF8 vids.

Then Spoony basically had a mental breakdown live on twitter and lit an inferno on 99% of his bridges. I think one of the lowest points I've seen was when he was going to movies alone, coming home getting shitfaced and doing VLOGS

After that there was a small window of good content, his early counter monkey stories were great and had some good Reb movies, along with Ultima. After that though, seems things just went off a cliff production wise to the point where I was checking in once every three months to see if he has done something other than a 2 hour long rant of a movie or some wrestle shit.

I watched him live stream some pixel horror game and he had shitty interent or something, so I was joking with chat and said "Have you tried turning it off and on again" which triggered him into some rant and acted all offended, "Dude I took IT in college", "That joke is so old". Yes Spoony, it's a shitty joke, that's kinda the point.

I hope Spoony is alright mentally, can't imagine being bipolar mismedicated for years on end, I just hope we don't get another implosion like when Scarlet left if his current GF stuff doesn't work out. Either way, he's simply far too toxic to follow at this point, and the fact people trusted him with 4K a month with his past production rate is laughable.

sums it all up. Really is a shame what things have become.

G-Fex

just more fucking wrestling videos.

What a goddamn letdown. Whatever.

I had to unfollow his dumbass on twitter, he wouldn't stop spamming my feed during wrestling I guess.

I have a feeling that even if has no backing from people on Patreon, he will still keep the same shitty schedule and possibly work ethic. Really nice guy in person, but holy shit his twitter is unreadable.

For his review, I expect. Looking forward to that.

August 9th will make one full year since he's put out a game review. Am I the only one who simply finds the Spoony situation funny?

Edit: Just checked his twitter for shits and giggles. He averages 23 tweets per day over the course of the last 6 years.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wait it sounds like he's going crazy over the Lightning DLC for XIII-2 rather than Lightning Returns. He doesn't even want to touch Lighning Returns and shat on Famitsu for giving it a perfect score.

Tenebrous

Wait it sounds like he's going crazy over the Lightning DLC for XIII-2 rather than Lightning Returns. He doesn't even want to touch Lighning Returns and shat on Famitsu for giving it a perfect score.

I can't disagree. No Final Fantasy game since IX should be anywhere near a perfect score.

Although XIV 2.0 is a very capable WoW-style MMO and worthy of peoples time.

Top Bottom