• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Stanley Parable - a full semesters worth of objectivism vs determinism in one game!

VGEsoterica

I love video games (obv...I’m here after all) but some of my favorite non-major classes in college were philosophy. It was highly entertaining to me to sit in a room and debate these large topics to try to see if you could make any sense of them. Even in the end if you weren’t sure you fully understood everything the insight you obtained into these lofty concepts was enough to be entertained and mildly enlightened.

So when I played The Stanley Parable I noticed that the entire story seemed to revolve around the concept of objectivism vs determinism, or whether or not Stanley, and my extension the player had free will to make their own decisions or if the game (and by extension life, the universe, some “higher power”) had pre-determined every course of action and that no choice was truly your own.

Clearly it’s a concept that has been around as long as humans have had the intelligence to wonder about our existence, but to see it play out under the guise of a video game is a unique concept

it has shades of Bioshock and the “would you kindly” setup except it went much further in breaking down the story to work with whatever you chose in game. Add in the fact the game was almost a wholly new type of experience and the narration was an A+ effort and you have a really unique and “special” feeling game.

I wonder if we will ever see a sequel and what topics it would pursue? Curious who else played and what they thought. I’m sure my interpretation is not the only one (or even the “right” one lol)

Kuranghi

There is an expanded version coming out soon, with new content!

I really loved this game, I like that you can play it at a really base level (trolling the game) and it responds to it but you can also dig into the deeper meaning if you want too. Its like Talos Principle in that way, you can just enjoy a super good (one of the best ever imo) puzzle game but also engage with the story at the same time.

Thats one great way to make art that appeals widely, please the smooth AND wrinkly brains at the same time.

VGEsoterica

There is an expanded version coming out soon, with new content!

I really loved this game, I like that you can play it at a really base level (trolling the game) and it responds to it but you can also dig into the deeper meaning if you want too. Its like Talos Principle in that way, you can just enjoy a super good (one of the best ever imo) puzzle game but also engage with the story at the same time.

Thats one great way to make art that appeals widely, please the smooth AND wrinkly brains at the same time.

it’ll be interesting to see what they add. And yes I totally agree, there are a ton of layers to the game that you wouldn’t expect from it starting out

Soodanim

I'm so glad I played this game, it was great fun and I've played nothing close before or since.

Completely side stepping the thread for a moment, I never did manage the speed run achievement. And how long is that "Don't play the game for X years" count?

While I can appreciate it conceptually (and I love this particular debate and all philosophy in general), the game simply bored me. Not for me.

Humdinger

I think you mean free will vs. determinism. Objectivism is Ayn Rand's philosophy. It includes the assumption of free will, but free will is an assumption of many philosophical systems, not just hers.

Anyway, I never played the original, but I'm waiting for Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe Edition to come to consoles. It was supposed to come out in 2019, but it got delayed. They're still working on it. No release date yet.

Impotaku

I saw a walkthrough for this on youtube as i had heard of the name but never seen the game i quickly stopped watching as i realised just how amazing a game it actually is i love how it all works and that fantastic narration. I didn't want to go spoiling the entire thing i'm hoping it will come out soon they mentioned it's coming to PS4 but it feels like forever waiting for it.

Top Bottom