• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizggig

Neo Member
Im sorry but this site is no longer something I want to run to anymore. It once was a site I respected. I just hope we all can move away from this negativity. Lets talk about games.

The future of NeoGAF will be a return to what many of us have come here for, a place where we can gather together and enjoy our shared hobby of video games. For a short time, Off-Topic Discussion and Off-Topic Community will be closed so that we can rediscover that. We'll be starting with a clean slate when they come back. However, the focus will be on the many other hobbies we may have like TV, movies, anime, writing, music, etc. Political and social discourse will not be allowed in the new Off-Topic. Those types of discussions greatly added to the harsh and unwelcoming atmosphere of Off-Topic, which pushed many users away.

Moderation will also see changes. Over the years, moderators changed from simply people who made sure discussion stay civil into personalities. It's because of that, many were targeted for harassment and other things. This shouldn't be happening to them. We've taken action to protect these people by making moderation anonymous. There will be no more red-names that single them out nor will there be a list of who is one.
I may actually stick around if OT is never brought back. I’ll miss some of the sports community threads (NFL at least), but if that’s what it takes to keep the political and social issue discussion off of this site it’s more than a worthy trade. This site has moderated so many issues as solely black and white that speaking otherwise was a guaranteed ban.

OT was a miserable, hateful place. Let those discussions take place somewhere else. Forever.

WaterAstro

Well, exactly why I said what I had to in those Naughty Dog accusation threads.

These accusations should be dealt privately first. If the victim was looking for an apology or some kind of recompense, they don't need to go straight to social media. It just causes problems for everyone.

Social media isn't going to solve any accusations. If the victim wants something, the court of law or a private personal apology is better. These social media accusations just open the window for false accusations.

Also, if people don't believe in Evilore, then stop using this website if you want to show your protest. Of course, with anonymity, that's not going to happen.

Fuck you and fuck this site.

I'm done. Thanks for ruining all the communities I enjoyed being a part of on here.

I will not be coming back.

Get bent dickbag.

Apocryphon

Off-Topic was going down hill thanks to fighting over politics, but the rest of the discussions (Film, TV, OT's for hobbies, etc.) being gone is pretty heartbreaking. Regardless, I plan to stick with GAF.

Hopefully when everything is back to normal we can go back to discussing those things. OT had been toxic for a long time. Pure groupthink retardation.

Vibrant

Banned
So no more of these faggots making threads like "I wish Geralt was bi sexual so I can sleep with other men"

Or no more of these other retarded threads these no life virgins make.

I swear these virgins stay up all night thinking about threads to make. "ZOMG this is gonna be a great thread on neogaf!!!" Pathetic

ckaneo

Thank you. That is the right choice. I hate that in this day and Age people Just Can make accusations without ANY PROOF whatsoever and everyone Just believes it. I really is like the Witch hunt Times... Pathetic.

The presumption of innocence, sometimes referred to by the Latin expression ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (the burden of proof is on the one who declares, not on one who denies), is the principle that one is considered innocent unless proven guilty.

See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

U All forgot about this?

The problem is this very forum has always encouraged that thought. Evilore at some point needs to address the monster he created

notacat

So that's what's been going on. Site kept not loading and now this.

Hope the site keeps up, there's a lot of good threads on video game news and speculation here. Don't care for drama myself, so stay out of all that whenever possible.

giphy.gif

Thank you. I was afraid NeoGAF would be forever lost and it would truly be a great loss indeed. I put my trust in what you say here, and all that matters is that we should slowly rebuild and get the great people we always had here back.

Neogaf created a safe space of SJW who were stuck in their own echo chamber. Anyone who remotely had a view right of Stalin or Moa was banned. It burning to the ground is only fitting.

Hi.

An allegation of sexual misconduct has been made against me by an ex. It's not true, the individual making the accusation isn't credible, the story doesn't reconcile logically with the facts, and there's plenty of evidence and witnesses to corroborate that. It'll be a process.

All allegations of this nature are serious, of course. I first got word of it on Wednesday when a screenshot of a Facebook post was handed to Voat. I immediately talked with my mod team about the contents of the screenshot and clarified that it was baseless and explained some of the details concerning my former associations with her, and tried to ensure any concerns from the team were addressed fully and transparently to everyone's satisfaction. On Thursday I heard that she had deleted the accusation from Facebook, and wasn't entirely sure how to proceed from there or how this would all play out in the public space at that point. Then, Friday morning, the screenshot made its way to NeoGAF and chaos ensued.

I was in the process of writing a statement that entire day to address formally address the allegation, but the community had erupted in a flash that morning. While the moderation team was trying to restore the peace, accusations and threats concerning the screenshot started shifting to them as well by association with me, and I was asked by my team to do something to fix things and get the heat off of all of them at least. I was beyond exhausted by that point, though, stretched too thin in the time since the post had first appeared and seeing unprecedented events unfold on NeoGAF. I was slow and weak. I failed to handle it quickly enough and let the team down. Before I could finish a statement and get it out there, understandably some mods hit their emotional limit, expressed concerns about the community coming after them, and decided to leave. A few people resigned, and many more quickly followed for similar reasons, citing stress and harassment. The site started breaking under load spikes leading up to the first resignations, too, and then flatlined altogether, so issuing a statement at that time on NeoGAF itself became impossible for the time being, and my attention shifted toward the moderation team's future.

Since that whole mess, lasting from Friday morning through Saturday, before we formally went offline for maintenance and repair and restructure, we've just been trying to figure out the best course of action for NeoGAF going forward. And as stories began being published by various outlets, I issued some comments to the press, since everything coming out was proving to be sensationalized, opportunist, and unprofessional.

We've all become increasingly stressed and weary this year in ways even I'm not accustomed to by now, and discussions on heated news, political issues, and social issues on the off-topic side of the site have become areas no one has wanted to moderate in the open for fear of backlash or just general exposure to the inevitable toxicity. I've gone in there myself to take the heat, since it's very much my responsibility to do so before anyone else's, but there's been little headway, mostly just more anger and resentment and a lot of bans. I don't think this necessarily reflects on our community; more so the tone of the entire internet this year with regards to heated issues.

That's all going to inform the way forward for NeoGAF as we refocus on what the main goals are supposed to be for the site. The mod team will talk about more specifics on what that will entail below.

One last thing. The NeoGAF mod team is here for this community; all of you. You have no obligations to respect me or believe anything I say about my personal life one way or another, but if you're going to be here and participate on NeoGAF, respect the mod team by following the rules and behaving. The team is diminished at the moment and the folks who stuck around care very much about this community and its future. Be considerate of them. That's non-negotiable.

Thanks.

Fuck you, piece of shit. Off yourself... and permaban me. *Salutes with middle fingers*

Cheebo

Banned
Question is, any alternatives? Preferably, just the latest gaming news (which GAF is fast and good at)
Go on Twitter and search its easy. There is multiple large ones of people who don't want to post on a site where a man who has a history of assaulting women profits and runs the show.

The problem wasn't the political threads.

It was the sheer amount of them. Constantly.

Have ONE politics thread. Have ONE social discussion thread. People want to have a discussion in OT they should be able to. As long as they're following the rules of the site it shouldn't be an issue.

But don't pin this situation on OT. Let's be frank for a moment: GAF is a heavy left leaning forum that has decried sexism, sexual assaults and such have behavior. So how do we as a community reconcile that with reading about such allegations? You're 100% correct that your statement took too long and things spiraled out of control but that's on you. Don't punish OT and all the great discussions we've had there because of it...

I agree we don't need 372728 anti-Trump threads an hour.

I agree the way in which folks disagreed got downright nasty.

But that's not why mods quit. I think one thread for politics and another for social issues is fair. One place.

I agree with the moderators being anon. Good call.

GAF is bigger than one person. And their personal misconduct or ex's allegations shouldn't destroy and entire community.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Anonymous mods? Yikes. Dun like the sound of that. Mods shouldn't be harassed obviously. But obscuring moderation? Thats one way ta power trip/easily cover things up. If (and this is assuming theres more then 1 mod left not named Evilore) a mod messes up big time how do ya assure peeps "the bad apple" has been dealt with? Can't cause they're anonymous now! Did the mod who went rogue really get booted out? Who could ever say?

Did you at least take Off Topic out on a trip to E3 before you fucked it or did you just walk into a shower with Off Topic with your dick out?

Retire, you sexual assault committing asshole, and kill your account.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Moderation will also see changes. Over the years, moderators changed from simply people who made sure discussion stay civil into personalities. It's because of that, many were targeted for harassment and other things. This shouldn't be happening to them. We've taken action to protect these people by making moderation anonymous. There will be no more red-names that single them out nor will there be a list of who is one.
Yeah... No.

I'm sorry but without knowing WHO the mods are there will be no accountability. Considering everything that has occurred you would think that there should be MORE accountability, not less. If this is the policy, I'm out.

This allegation plus the amir0x situation were dealt with appallingly. There'll be some who aren't going to get back on board no matter what after this. You're never going to win those people over. There'll be others who won't because of how fucked up the handling of it has been. So far, there's been very little that inspires confidence here in how such problems may be dealt with in the future.

And as echo chambery and crazed OT has gotten recently banning politics talk suuucks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm glad gaming side is back.

Honestly, OT is a bit toxic IMO, and the political stuff is spilling over to the gaming side. Eitherway I'm fine that it shouldn't be discussed way too much to my liking because I can't relate that much nor do I participate in US politics (I don't live in the US).

Invictus

Banned
I’m not going to let people talk about the horrible things I do to women on my website.
Games only!
Go.
Fuck.
Yourself.

Heroman

Banned
Honestly, these account suicides are just childish nonsense. If you don't want to post here, then don't. Sign out, and don't come back.

A return to video games focus is a good move for everyone.
Yeah I agree, it's not like the main leader neogaf the owner f***** up everything.

mortal

Gold Member
Man oh man, what a wild ride the last few days have been.

Nuking Off-Topic? I wonder how many will stay just for the gaming discussion alone.

Yup this shit is done. Ban my ass to Neptune cuz I'm out.

I also use uBlock Origin, Ghostery, AAK scripts.

RIP GAF. I know where the cool people at.

collige

Banned
I immediately talked with my mod team about the contents of the screenshot and clarified that it was baseless and explained some of the details concerning my former associations with her, and tried to ensure any concerns from the team were addressed fully and transparently to everyone's satisfaction.

I believe I've seen screenshots/text of this clarification circulated around the Internet. Can you comment on its authenticity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom