• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Steam Machines launch was fake and intricately connected to the assassination of JFK.

Crayon

There’s been a couple steam hardware threads floating. For a while now, I’ve had an unusual perspective on the “failed” steam machines launch.

The short version is that the launch was fake. I don’t want this to turn into a book as we can discuss details in this thread so here are the basics of how I see it:

• The steam machine was essentially steam universe features in a box. Steam Universe is a program about making another vector into pc gaming and to me it had a lot of emphasis on couch gaming.

• Some of the features like the link and the controller involved hardware, but those eventually gave way to the software that powered them. Home streaming and steam input.

• Funny how valve had enough prototypes of their own beautiful steam machine to send out to many real gamers, when they (probably) didn’t have the capability to get it produced at serious scale. I’m sure they knew that at that stage.

• The alienware alpha and the zotac one had a steam controller bundled in the box. That’s really it. Test drive steamos, replace it with windows, and tell everyone why it sucks. A different box and a valve logo on them? That’s called a limited steam edition. It's not like they got stuck with a bunch of stock. I don't think that's really putting out partners that much.

• All the features continue to be developed separately.

• All the features show up long after, rolled into the steam deck.

• The steam deck is what a real launch looks like. Valve put some money behind making that thing in volume and actually communicated before it’s release. A vast contrast to the steam machines.

• The fake launch provided a real world test like no other. They got to test out the real reception of the crowd. Not just the execution but the concept. Getting the real reaction called for deception. A fake launch.

• I was just kidding about the kennedy thing.

Edit: I was not kidding about the kennedy thing.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Fox What GIF

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They were just another range of prebuilt PCs. The good thing with them being prebuilt PCs and not consoles as some idiots claim, is that just because they didn't become massively successful (though we don't really have metrics vs most other single prebuilt models, we just see more weren't made) didn't mean owners didn't play all the games they would otherwise be able to with those specs anyway and do all the same things they'd do with them if they were massively successful. Same goes for Steam Deck. It's more successful for what it is but obviously didn't dethrone Switch, still it can be enjoyed for what it is just the same, just as GPD owners enjoyed theirs previously and enjoy any other more or less successful portable handheld PC they choose. Valve could try again, more like desktop Deck style than the last attempt, if they can source nice socs for nice prices they can pass on.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Ignoring the weirdness. The systems with off the shelf parts didn't bring any value to the customer (that they couldn't get already on there own). A bespoke approach could have created value at the lower end by giving you better performance than whatever you could cobble together from scratch or piece together Frankenstein style with a budget dell/hp at the same price. That's the only way it would make sense.

Crayon

Ignoring the weirdness. The systems with off the shelf parts didn't bring any value to the customer (that they couldn't get already on there own). A bespoke approach could have created value at the lower end by giving you better performance than whatever you could cobble together from scratch or piece together Frankenstein style with a budget dell/hp at the same price. That's the only way it would make sense.

We know that, or at least it's a very common/uncontroversial opinion. But the question is why didn't they make their own? They made some proto's as if they were a reference but seemingly they had any intention of getting into production. Did they bite off too much and abort? Or did they know the whole time that they couldn't do it? It seems more likely they knew they couldn't produce something like that but wanted serious feedback on the public and press reaction if they did.

DaGwaphics

We know that, or at least it's a very common/uncontroversial opinion. But the question is why didn't they make their own? They made some proto's as if they were a reference but seemingly they had any intention of getting into production. Did they bite off too much and abort? Or did they know the whole time that they couldn't do it? It seems more likely they knew they couldn't produce something like that but wanted serious feedback on the public and press reaction if they did.

They aren't a hardware company and were probably just afraid to try it. Plus, the product just wasn't ready on the software end, they have a much higher percentage of the Steam catalog running on Proton now, that helps make the SteamDeck work.

Crayon

They aren't a hardware company and were probably just afraid to try it. Plus, the product just wasn't ready on the software end, they have a much higher percentage of the Steam catalog running on Proton now, that helps make the SteamDeck work.

That's my angle, here. I think they knew fromt eh begginfing they weren't going to do it, but let people assume so for a bit to get some real/accurate feedback. That fits my theory that the whole thing was a dry run and they knew it would "fail".

Crayon

Imagine if valve faked the moon landing. No rocket or soundstage pictures or nothing. They'd just do a "Moon Landing Sale" and never speak of it again.

Top Bottom