• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

?????? The Steamboy resurfaces: SMACH Zero, Q4 '16, pre-orders starting Nov 10, 299€

On such a small screen you don't want Windows on there. Especially since it isn't 100% focused on gaming it will have a lot of clunkiness.

I do. You can make it boot on Steam Big Picture and enjoy better compatibility. Especially xbox 360 and ps3 titles on lower settings.

Joni

The booth at Gamescom they say is theirs isn't. It was run by a company called GameBoosters. Unless that company is the one behind this thing? I'm on mobile so can't check properly.
THey are a marketing team. So they might be working with them.

RedSwirl

If it's a Steam Machine there shouldn't really be anything stopping you from installing Windows 10 on it. And there are still a lot of good old and low-end games that could run well on the Smach Zero but don't have linux versions.

RedSwirl

It looks like a cheapo tablet in a grip, which would be cheaper.

Handheld pc's are nothing new now, my HP stream 7 cost 50 quid and i can play hundreds of lower end pc games on it, even civ 5, and stream newer games off the main pc via steam.

Seems like this is smaller, like the size of a Vita.

nampad

This looked fake as hell when it was announced as the Steamboy because I don't think Valve will give them their trackpad for the handheld.
The Gamescom booth gives me some hope this might be true because a x86 handheld for Steam would be a dream come true. Still don't think whey will be able to get the Steam trackpads into their device though.

With the cheap Cherry Trail tablets being able to barely play some last gen games, I believe a x86 handheld should work well and I am surprised no one is trying it, not even the chinese android handheld manufacturers, whom I expected (and hoped) to release such a device.

LewieP

I think hardware along these lines makes lots of sense, but we're perhaps not quite there yet in terms of hardware that can offer decent performance, battery life, and at a marketable price. However the entire industry is moving towards solving these problems, and given a few years, this kind of product might be far more feasible.

I'd probably only be interested if there was a hardware manufacturer with some kind of track record involved, and I'd wait a couple of iterations before jumping in.

I'd also probably install Windows on it, just to get access to the large pool of Windows only games.

When Valve unveiled the official name of "Steam Machines", rather than "Steam box" like everyone was calling them, I assumed it was at least in part because a handheld was somewhere on their roadmap.

I would love to support something like this, it could be the evolutionary step that a portable would need.

As awesome as this would be, something tells me the battery life or something else will be the limiting and game breaking factor in this.

What if this ends up just being a device with Steam like controls that streams games from another piece of hardware?

Top Bottom