• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Streets: A Grand Don't Come for Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Just downloaded it on iTunes and I'm loving it--it's so much more mellow and loose than Original Pirate Material.

I would kill to see Skinner and Dizzee Rascal on their NA tour...

MacGuffin

Original Pirate Material was not a disc I ever care to listen to again. I think I chucked it out the window of my moving vehicle. Ugh, that was one of my worst purchases ever.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've only heard the single (Fit but you Know It), and it has what just may be the worst chorus ever. Willing to give the rest of the disc a chance, though...some time.

KingGondo

Banned
teepo said:
i'm seeing them :)

You bastard :p When and where?

Archaix: The rest of the album is much different than Fit But You Know It, but it's in the same vein (less emphasis on wordplay, flow; more emphasis on telling a story).

Jim Bowie

I purchased The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free four weeks ago.

I can't say I was elated, but I most certainly was not disappointed. All the tracks do indeed sound looser, more conversational, but in this aspect I thought that it lost some of it's catchiness. For example, "It was supposed to be so easy...", the first song on the album, is an awesome introduction to the story (Did I not mention that? The whole album is a story. Yeah, British rap concept album. Go figure.), but it's hard to get into at first. I can say the same thing about at least two other tracks, namely "Lights are blinding my eyes" and "Such a twat".

However, when Mike makes a catchy beat, he rocks it throughout the entire song. "Not addicted" stands out as one of my favourite Streets tracks to date. Its high-tuned bass riff is, pardon the pun, but addicting. "Well be in", track 2, starts out as a nice slow jam, and "Fit but you know it"'s cheesy ultra-simplistic guitar riffs can't help but make one bob their head along. Even the closing tracks are nice and smooth.

Not to diss on Original Pirate Material. OPM is overall a more listenable disc, which really doesn't have a bad track on it. Everything on OPM is composed just right, every beat sounds natural, and the lyrics sound much more like I would envision a rap/garage album to sound. That, and you can't top The Irony Of It All. Except with Don't Mug Yourself. Which can be topped with Would you be There?. All on the same album.

Overall, A Grand Don't Come For Free is a great CD, but isn't quite up to the same calibur as OPM.

Ah, the GA forums... I missed thy open spaces for ranting and pretending I'm an expert.

White Man

I'm debating seeing The Streets next week. It's one of the dates without Dizzee Rascal, though. I don't know if it's worth 15 bucks just to see The Streets. The new album is pretty good stuff, but Original Pirate Material is kinda meh. It was an interesting novelty, but it had no legs. Dizzee Rascal is fucking awesome, though.

It was too mellow and casual at first but it has grown on me. I agree the first one was somewhat of a novelty album. I found it got really corny the more you listened to it. I guess only time will tell if this album suffers the same fate, but I don’t think it will.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
'fit but you know it' is pretty catchy.. the line 'This nights not even begun, yes yes oh yay' makes me laugh :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom