• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge [Sci-fi Souls-like, PS4/XBO/PC] Out May 16th

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nice, New game plus has different enemies also from the start with new loot/weapons.

Oh really? Now that is really cool to hear. I like when NG+ is more than just bumping up the enemy health pools or the damage they do.

Theorry

So Cohh said he "enjoyed it big time" Its indeed "sci fi souls" and is "for sure difficult" but some people maybe have it easier. Difficulty ramped up alot at the end also.

This game came outta no where for me, I think I'll have to pick it up.

Will try PC port first, if it's iffy will steam refund and get for PS4

I don't get it. I feel left out :(

Tom Cruise movie based on some anime, looks very similar in style to the Surges.

I'm down to get lost. It's actually rare to get lost in games now so I appreciate that tbh.

Honestly he just has really bad sense of direction. But the levels do suffer from the same thing as nioh does in some levels, where all the assets are the same so its just kinda confusing where the fuck you are.

I too can finish Dark Souls in around 10 hours if I rush through everything and avoid fights. I'm pretty sure that even attaching a length to this type of game is pointless, due to how they work and the different skill set of every player. Getting lost so fucking much is a part of the game :p

Not sure what your point was when you brought up the playtime then. The devs themselves wouldnt estimate that, dont quote me on this but im pretty sure one of them here said 15-25 hours.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hmm looks like there are different endings.
Oh New Game plus is also in.
Looking back at how shitty and pointless NG+ was in Lords of the Fallen... I can't say I care about it in this game cuz looks like Deck13 just don't understand how NG+ work in Souls games and that it should work almost the same here. But here's the problem. Both Deck13 games simply don't have a sheer variety of classes, abilities and combat systems which every Souls game has and which benefits greatly from NG+ cuz for example you can build really powerful Soldier / Paladin type of character in the first playthrough, and during the next one you can focus say on miracles and pyromancy and make an extremely powerful battle mage type of character which can do melee stuff, heal and buff himself, thrown huge lighting spears or fireballs at enemies and stuff like that. I mean, just the lighting spears alone can be a game changer for a tank character, cuz not only it can help you fight regular enemies and bosses much more effectively from a distance, but it makes co-op experience so much better cuz you can help each other in more ways that one. All of this (and many more) is a HUGE reason to play the game many times cuz you've a hell of a lot of reasons to do so beyong just getting new weapons, armor, rings and all that.

There nothing even remotly similar in Deck13 games cuz in their games you basically play like a tank / melee character 100% of time and after playing 51 hous of Lords of the Fallen I can saftly say that NG+ is absolutely pointless in this game and probably in The Surge too cuz... well, the really deep and interesting character progression and a sheer variaty of classes and abilities is just not there so... what exactly is there to see and experience in NG+ and beyond? Well, basically nothing. For example, I only gained 12 (!!!!) levels in NG+ in Lords of the Fallen so... yeah, compare at least just that (and forget about anything else) with any Souls games and you'll see a HUGE difference.

Netheos *developer* said:
Hi, The Surge takes 20 hours average to finish if you rush the main quest. It can be far more, depending on your skill and if you complete optional quests. That's without counting a deep NG+ mode.
Just out of curiosity, what's so deep about NG+ in The Surge beyond just story stuff and maybe quests?

Not sure what your point was when you brought up the playtime then. The devs themselves wouldnt estimate that, dont quote me on this but im pretty sure one of them here said 15-25 hours.
According to post #9 on the Steam forums, this is what a dev had to say:
Netheos [developer] said:
Hi, The Surge takes 20 hours average to finish if you rush the main quest. It can be far more, depending on your skill and if you complete optional quests. That's without counting a deep NG+ mode.
My point was based on this and the fact that you said it was light on content

And you are basing all of this on their previous game. Again, let's wait for reviews before saying their second game is the same as their first game. Is it too senseless that after getting feedback on their first product that was mediocre, they would improve on the second one? Pleaaase wait for reviews lol

Capra

Wish we could get past prematurely judging The Surge based on Lords of the Fallen. I never played that one, but based on impressions and preview videos for The Surge the developers seem to have learned from their mistakes. At least wait for the reviews to drop first.

theyturkerjurbs

Neo Member
Really tempted to grab this on psn tomorrow and hopefully play at midnight, can't decide between this and prey though. The surge looks more up my street but prey is a known quantity with great reviews. Decisions, decisions.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
And you are basing all of this on their previous game. Again, let's wait for reviews before saying their second game is the same as their first game. Is it too senseless that after getting feedback on their first product that was mediocre, they would improve on the second one? Pleaaase wait for reviews lol
Look, I can clearly see that The Surge is different than Lords of the Fallen (setting, combat system) and it's obvious, but please, read my last post and maybe then you'll see and understand why these games is actually not so different and you don't need to play The Surge to see and understand that cuz all evidence is on the surface.

I get that you don't need to make a complete clone of Souls games (and it's one hell of a task anyway to even make something and not 100% similar) and it's okay and welcome to make, see and experience something similar but fundamentaly different (TB already explaned why in his video), but when core and systems of your game just doesn't fully support say NG+ like Souls games, when your game doesn't have a sheer variety of classes etc. what's the point in NG+ in terms of character progression / development? Well, Lords of the Fallen clearly shown that there is none and no matter what you do, you'll basically have a tank character and by looking at what The Surge has to offer... I can't say or expect something different from this game. And i'll be glad if i'm wrong about this, i really do, but something tells me I won't.

N° 2048

Really tempted to grab this on psn tomorrow and hopefully play at midnight, can't decide between this and prey though. The surge looks more up my street but prey is a known quantity with great reviews. Decisions, decisions.

My man, in the exact same boat but I'm leaning towards The Surge.

Ferr986

Looking back at how shitty and pointless NG+ was in Lords of the Fallen... I can't say I care about it in this game cuz looks like Deck13 just don't understand how NG+ work in Souls games and that it should work almost the same here. But here's the problem. Both Deck13 games simply don't have a sheer variety of classes, abilities and combat systems which every Souls game has and which benefits greatly from NG+ cuz for example you can build really powerful Soldier / Paladin type of character in the first playthrough, and during the next one you can focus say on miracles and pyromancy and make an extremely powerful battle mage type of character which can do melee stuff, heal and buff himself, thrown huge lighting spears or fireballs at enemies and stuff like that. I mean, just the lighting spears alone can be a game changer for a tank character, cuz not only it can help you fight regular enemies and bosses much more effectively from a distance, but it makes co-op experience so much better cuz you can help each other in more ways that one. All of this (and many more) is a HUGE reason to play the game many times cuz you've a hell of a lot of reasons to do so beyong just getting new weapons, armor, rings and all that.

There nothing even remotly similar in Deck13 games cuz in their games you basically play like a tank / melee character 100% of time and after playing 51 hous of Lords of the Fallen I can saftly say that NG+ is absolutely pointless in this game and probably in The Surge too cuz... well, the really deep and interesting character progression and a sheer variaty of classes and abilities is just not there so... what exactly is there to see and experience in NG+ and beyond? Well, basically nothing. For example, I only gained 12 (!!!!) levels in NG+ in Lords of the Fallen so... yeah, compare at least just that (and forget about anything else) with any Souls games and you'll see a HUGE difference.

Just out of curiosity, what's so deep about NG+ in The Surge?

Please give me a break, I'm a Souls fanboy as much as everyone else but the only worth NG+ mode Souls had was Souls 2. Rest is just the same with some higher HP numbers, and at most +1 version of some rings.

It's true that classes are better in Souls but that's another different thing than NG+ cycles.

You are just reflecting your hate towards Lords to the Surge without any kind of fact, and also seems like you want the Surge to be a copy of Souls, when it's probably going to be a fair bit different (better or worse is another story).

luulubuu

Oh man this gave me a great idea

NevNaUA.gif

��

Tecnniqe asked me to do this great Idea and I had to, hope it ends in the OT

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Please give me a break, I'm a Souls fanboy as much as everyone else but the only worth NG+ mode Souls had was Souls 2. Rest is just the same with some higher HP numbers, and at most +1 version of some rings.
I completely disagree, but let's leave it at that.

It's true that classes are better in Souls but that's another different thing than NG+ cycles.
Well, no, it's not, especially when it comes to deep character development. I know most of the people (and i'm not one of them) probably care mostly about PvP in Souls games and maybe about co-op + PvP and don't even bother to gain 200-300 levels cuz it's pointless for PvP, but that's completely different topic which is pointless to discuss here especially cuz LOTF and The Surge simply don't have any of these features and systems.

You are just reflecting your hate towards Lords to the Surge without any kind of fact, and also seems like you want the Surge to be a copy of Souls, when it's probably going to be a fair bit different (better or worse is another story).
You've completely misunderstood me, I don't hate LOTF and I don't hate The Surge and please people, stop saying the opposite. "I don't really like" and "I absolutely hate" is fundamentally and completely different things and not similar at all in terms of meaning.

Just out of curiosity, what's so deep about NG+ in The Surge?
Sorry, but multiple endings and changes to the experience are FAR more important aspects of NG+ than being able to build your character in a million different ways...

Which it looks like The Surge features both.

You do realize Dark Souls didn't invent NG+ right?

Drewfonse

Definitely the same currently; not complaining mind you, I love it when I have two great looking games to choose between 🤔

Hopefully impressions keep rolling in though as I'm still not 100% sure.

My man, in the exact same boat but I'm leaning towards The Surge.

For what it's worth, I'm playing Prey now, and it feels like...work. I'm 3/4 through it and am struggling to keep going. It's just not a particularly fun game, and the combat is dreadful. Great atmosphere, interesting story, but clunky as hell on PS4, really dated graphics, and not really that fun, at all.

I'm excited for Surge, but Prey is really great. Easily one of the best entries in the genre in quite some time, with combat that encourages planning and strategy, incredible level design and freedom, and a decent story

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, if you're going to play Prey on PS4, I would probably reconsider and just grab The Surge. I'm a huge fan of Prey 2017...but not on PS4 where the severe input latency and long loading times really drag it down. It's really good on PC, though.

Honestly, if you're going to play Prey on PS4, I would probably reconsider and just grab The Surge. I'm a huge fan of Prey 2017...but not on PS4 where the severe input latency and long loading times really drag it down. It's really good on PC, though.

From the man himself, I'm sold now, Surge it is. Shame that Prey didn't turn out better on PS4 despite dev promises.

ViciousDS

Banned

Dark has spoken

Everyone knows what to do!

Theorry

You played the Surge already on Pro?

theyturkerjurbs

Neo Member
Much appreciated guys. I will get both eventually anyway I imagine.

I think the combat of the surge is going to swing it. Decent combat loops can really make a game for me and I guess that kind of makes this a no brainer.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm excited for Surge, but Prey is really great. Easily one of the best entries in the genre in quite some time, with combat that encourages planning and strategy, incredible level design and freedom, and a decent story
vB9B5.gif

Sorry, but multiple endings and changes to the experience are FAR more important aspects of NG+ than being able to build your character in a million different ways...
Well, yes, absolutely and that is exactly why (amongst other things) i will play Prey multiple times. But Souls (and Souls-like) games in not about multiple endings (even though they have them), characters and story overall and all of this is nowhere near as important in these games as the gameplay. Hell, i'll even go as far as to say that From understands nothing about storytelling and how to tell an interesting story etc. in their games. Their questlines is fucked up and quest overall is extremely poorly developed, structured etc. to even care about them and story all that much. You can even easily miss a lot of quest in these games and even if you do manage to start some of them, you can't complete them unless you know exactly what to do and that's another reason not to care about them, cuz you can't do most of this stuff without knowing what to do and what is fun about this when you need to read guides to complete quest (not always, but most of the time)? I mean, I guess you could say that it's a charm of these games but to hell with it. I don't like this shit one bit and don't look at Souls (and Souls-like) games as story driven games cuz frankly, they are not.

Sure, the lore in Souls games is very interesting and it's a good thing indeed to have people who dedicate their time to make all this together and make a video explaning all this to you, cuz I and other people simply don't give a fuck and don't care all that much about any of this in terms of trying to gather info about the world and learn something from it by making a full picture. What I'm trying to say here is that Souls games is not story driven games and NG+ is barely justifyes multiple playthroughs in terms of story and endings or at least that's not the main thing to do for some or most people (unless of course they really wan't to complete everything and get all the items etc.). And since we talking about story.... The story in Lords of the Fallen was mediocre at best and nowhere near deep and interesting enough to make you play the game again because of it. If you wan't me to make a comparison.... the story in this game is not better than in Deadfall Adventures for example and let's be frank, would you really expect something amazing from The Surge in terms of story and all that? No offence to developers, but I sure as hell not expecting anything remotely interesting from The Surge in terms of story after Lords of the Fallen and can you honestly blame me for this? Really? I'm not saying that it'll be complete shit, but i'm not expecting much (if at all care about it) from it.

Which it looks like The Surge features both.
How can you possibly build a tank character in a million different ways in Lords of the Fallen and in The Surge, when there's simply zero systems, mechanics and all that to give you an ability to do so and in comparison to Souls games which do have all these things?

You do realize Dark Souls didn't invent NG+ right
Nah, of course not. Lords of the Fallen is the only game i've played which featured NG+))))))

P.S. I'm waiting reviews just like everybody else, but i don't have high hopes for this game, although it's good to know that it is a much better game in terms of gameplay and combat than Lords of the Fallen.

Capra

Gah, wishing I had a Pro now. If it gets good reviews I'll pick it up and I'm sure if I managed to play through SoulsBorne I'll be fine, but Nioh spoiled me with its 60fps goodness.

Actually, how is the variance combat wise in this game? Agent was talking about the different things you can do in a Souls game, and I forgot how much I appreciated that. Nioh, too, had a sense of that as well. It made not only the first playthrough fun as fuck, bu the second, and third, and fourth, and so on.

Also, are PC owners getting it on Tuesday latter in the day, or tomorrow like some PC games?

phant0m

This game came outta no where for me, I think I'll have to pick it up.

Will try PC port first, if it's iffy will steam refund and get for PS4

Same. Anybody know if it's a CPU-bound or GPU-bound game? I know my 1060 will handle it fine but dual-Core CPU (7500U) worries me.

I've never played a Souls game but like sci fi and the atmosphere of this game, I kinda want it. Is the combat easy to get used to? Is it a rage quit game or more of rinse repeat learn deal?

Wagram

I've never played a Souls game but like sci fi and the atmosphere of this game, I kinda want it. Is the combat easy to get used to? Is it a rage quit game or more of rinse repeat learn deal?

These aren't as difficult as Souls. If you're new you're still likely to die, but you'll overcome after a few attempts.

Snagret

The Giant Bomb quick look was the first I'd heard of this game, and it completely sold me on it. I actually really like the visual design of the game, though it's a shame to hear there might not be a huge amount of variety.

Theorry

Actually, how is the variance combat wise in this game? Agent was talking about the different things you can do in a Souls game, and I forgot how much I appreciated that. Nioh, too, had a sense of that as well. It made not only the first playthrough fun as fuck, bu the second, and third, and fourth, and so on.

Also, are PC owners getting it on Tuesday latter in the day, or tomorrow like some PC games?

I believe i read midnight EU time it unlocks.

Maffis

Is the body part targeting all about highlighting them in the HUD instead of, you know, actually hitting the parts you want? Because that's pretty weak if true.

No highlighting is just a part of the combat. You still need to hit the correct way. If the hitbox collides with a leg instead of arm, it will damage the leg even if the arm is highlighted.

Liamc723

No highlighting is just a part of the combat. You still need to hit the correct way. If the hitbox collides with a leg instead of arm, it will damage the leg even if the arm is highlighted.

No it doesn't, you automatically hit the part that is highlighted no matter where you swing.

Top Bottom