• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch has now surpassed PS4 sales in Japan

Raph64

D6nDiC5UUAAi0Cy.jpg

[ Source : Nintendo Everything ]

During the week of April 22, Switch and PlayStation 4 sales were extremely close in Japan. The two were at 8,042,166 units and 8,047,754 units sold respectively. Now that the latest data from Japan (via Famitsu) has come in, we can now say that Switch has reached another major milestone.

Between April 29 and May 12, Switch sold another 83,471 units while the PS4 moved another 30,003 consoles (counting the PS4 Pro). With the latest data, Switch has officially surpassed sales of the PS4 in Japan. Nintendo’s system currently sits at a total of 8,125,637.

With Nintendo’s financial results shared last month, we found out that Switch outsold the N64. Prior to that, it outsold the Wii U in just ten months.

7f5.gif

Honestly, hats off to Nintendo for creating such a juggernaut system that has made me completely change my usual gaming tastes and managed to convince me to buy tons of ( indie ) games that usually aren’t my cup of tea. With so many games to play on ranging from quality indie games to fantastic Nintendo exclusives, and a decent amount of AAA ports out there ( Mortal Kombat 11, Wolfenstein, and soon Doom Eternal, to name a few ), it’s same to assume that the Switch has loads of games, most of them are ports yes, but for the majority of them, they’re good games.

Here’s to another gangbusters-selling end of year period with Pokemon Sword/Shield and Animal Crossing, just to name a few. Meanwhile, we can also expect Fire Emblem, Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and maybe even more to be revealed at E3 this year ( which is already in less than a month ! )

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I’m glad that Nintendo was able to make (another) huge comeback like this.

Still amazing to look back. They followed up their (then) worst-selling console (GameCube) with their best selling console (Wii), followed by a flop so bad it made GameCube look like a smash hit in comparison.

blackjon24

I don't know why but I'm kind of a sadden by this news. Some of the best japanese console efforts in generations and the switch still overtakes the ps4 so quickly with a much less impressive yet still so early japanese game library

Either way they knocked it out of the park with the switch clearly

Vawn

Banned
I’m glad that Nintendo was able to make (another) huge comeback like this.

Still amazing to look back. They followed up their (then) worst-selling console (GameCube) with their best selling console (Wii), followed by a flop so bad it made GameCube look like a smash hit in comparison.

Its crazier that the Wii was basically just the GameCube hardware with motion controls and the Switch is basically Wii U hardware with full portability.

Their secret seems to be making a failed console, adding something to it and releasing it again under a new name.

Raph64

5upz6a.jpg
Mean while at Finland ps4 dominates so much that it is hard to find switch games.

I’m pretty sure you can find them in the next alley, you just didn’t picture it because you seem to shit a lot on the Switch and just want to bring in your console warring nonsense every time we mention either how many games were getting in 2019 ( Calling Link’s Awakening Remake a shitty childish project made in Unity, fucking really ? ) :pie_eyeroll: or when the Switch has reached another milestone.

Try harder.

preventing-wildfires-n-finland-37794269.png

Last edited:
Reactions: HMM

Fbh

Expected, Japan just doesn't care that much about traditional home consoles anymore.

Anyway, good news for Nintendo and for Switch owners since I guess this will ensure continued support from japanese devs

Meesh

Expected, Japan just doesn't care that much about traditional home consoles anymore.

Anyway, good news for Nintendo and for Switch owners since I guess this will ensure continued support from japanese devs
Exactly! Bring on more Japanese games! RPGs, and weird little niche titles!

Hinedorf

Banned
Really wish they'd just open the 3DS library to the Switch, then it would truly be a killer. I'm shocked with the level of content as is beating PS4, Nintendo truly is a cult in Japan.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Don't have a Switch....want one. Great Job Nintendo.

Somehow I just think Playstation isn't Kawaii enough for the culture of Japan. Sony seems to be much more US and EU centric with the appeal of their offers.

I've been to Japan 3 times. Kawaii is life out there. If it ain't cute and youthful, it ain't Japan.

Mozza

Amazing performance after the Wii U,even more when you consider there is not that much difference between the two consoles concepts.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nontendo has struck a unique ballance of 1st party, 2nd party and indie production unseen on N home consoles before (that was only seen on the ds/dsi).

Last edited:

mejin

Don't have a Switch....want one. Great Job Nintendo.

Somehow I just think Playstation isn't Kawaii enough for the culture of Japan. Sony seems to be much more US and EU centric with the appeal of their offers.

I've been to Japan 3 times. Kawaii is life out there. If it ain't cute and youthful, it ain't Japan.

you described Xbox. lol

Although Japan is not a big market for traditional console anymore, 8M+ is still a solid number for hardware, around 8% of all PS4 sales.

scalman

good for them mean they have some games to sell console so well. not games for me but for them i guess they are so good for them.

StormCell

5upz6a.jpg
Mean while at Finland ps4 dominates so much that it is hard to find switch games.

That's just physical shelf space. I find the same issue at any Walmart. Nintendo has only one shelf, and it contains Switch, Wii U, Wii, 3DS, and DS games. Sony has 4 shelves. Xbox has 2.

And guess what that means for sales? Notta. Switch is selling great in the US.

Kureransu

STOP THE PRESSES a handheld doing better than a console in Japan? Come back to me when it surpasses the 3DS in Japan.
Vita says Hi. Also, the 3DS is 40%-75% cheaper depending on which model you buy, and they all count towards total sales. So, just give credit where credit is due, and not try to spin it to make it seem like it doesn't deserve the accolades.

Kenji Ramon

Good for them but that’s only in Japan. Worldwide they are slightly lagging and in 2018 PS4 sold better than than Switch.

TLZ

Banned
Its crazier that the Wii was basically just the GameCube hardware with motion controls and the Switch is basically Wii U hardware with full portability.

Their secret seems to be making a failed console, adding something to it and releasing it again under a new name.
Yea. They feel like prototypes. I wonder what their next prototype is.

Top Bottom