• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Pro Controller has the worst first party D-pad next to the Xbox 360's!

Sorry, what magic voodoo are your expecting here? It's fully powered off, how the balls is it going to receive and process a wireless signal. 0% of all fully powered off devices can do that.
The fuck, are you serious? I've been powering on fully powered off consoles with their remote controllers since 2005 with the 360! The PS3 and PS4 let you do it as well (i assume also the X1). Hell even the Wii and WiiU are able too! And neither needed to be in rest mode! Sure it takes longer to power on but it sure as hell worked!

Did you skip the entirety of the last generation or something? Is the Switch your first home console since the PS2 era?

NFreak

I just did the tape mod for the d-pad and it seems to pretty much fix all the input issues I was having. Really dumb that I had to open up my controller to fix it but I'm glad there's at least some sort of easy solution.

The fuck, are you serious? I've been powering on fully powered off consoles with their remote controllers since 2005 with the 360! The PS3 and PS4 let you do it as well (i assume also the X1). Hell even the Wii and WiiU are able too! And neither needed to be in rest mode! Sure it takes longer to power on but it sure as hell worked!

Did you skip the entirety of the last generation or something? Is the Switch your first home console since the PS2 era?

Then it wasn't fully powered off. PlayStation 3 has a switch in the back. Don't remember if the others do but on Xbox one fully powered off setting requires you to hit the console on in the front I think.

Either way sleep mode is just standby. My tv has a switch in the back and if I use that I can't turn it on using the remote. But I use standby instead and wouldn't do that unless I need it to be moved or something. Some devices are always in standby when plugged in or need to unplug.

Has anyone done the tape method fix? I'm really considering doing it but I'm nervous about possibly ruining a $70 controller because I'm really dumb when it comes to that type of stuff. I can't get over how bad the d-pad is though, so I'm willing to take the risk if it really does fix it.

I just did the tape mod for the d-pad and it seems to pretty much fix all the input issues I was having. Really dumb that I had to open up my controller to fix it but I'm glad there's at least some sort of easy solution.

Nvm lol, will try out soon. Did you put the tape a little past half of the contacts like they suggest, or did you do halfway, or less than half? Some suggest doing less, some suggest doing more.

RockmanBN

I really really want Nintendo to start making variant joy-cons sooner rather than later.

Can't play Shovel Knight without a proper D Pad. Diagonal suck with the face buttons. I want to move forward while holding my shovel down and swishing my fingers between buttons feels awkward af.

Nekketsu Kõha;245483809 said:
Then it wasn't fully powered off. PlayStation 3 has a switch in the back. Don't remember if the others do but on Xbox one fully powered off setting requires you to hit the console on in the front I think.

Either way sleep mode is just standby. My tv has a switch in the back and if I use that I can't turn it on using the remote. But I use standby instead and wouldn't do that unless I need it to be moved or something. Some devices are always in standby when plugged in or need to unplug.
No it wasn't and my PS3 Slim and PS4 do not have any switch in the back either. Neither does the Wii or WiiU.

No it wasn't and my PS3 Slim and PS4 do not have any switch in the back either. Neither does the Wii or WiiU.

Ps3 did have a power switch on the back and you get the point I am making.

Slim removed it always standby.

Main-Power-switch.jpg

Is the Switch your first mobile device or something?

Why are you turning the Switch off to begin with? Switch is meant to be put into sleep mode when not in use. Every single time.

There's a reason the power button on the system proper only puts the console into standby.
There's a reason the only way to power Switch down completely is to physically hold that button. You can't find the option elsewhere in the OS, because it practically exists for troubleshooting purposes only.

Those other platforms can accept an incoming signal to power the console on, because they can always expend what little energy that requires, because they're plugged in all the time. They're technically in a standby state when you 'turn them off'.

Switch's sleep mode is the equivalent of those consoles being off but still 'plugged in' (and still capable of receiving that 'on' signal). Turning the Switch off is the equivalent to hitting the switch on the back of an OG PS3. If you put the console into standby mode when you're done with it, as the console is designed to be used, you will always be able to wake it up with your controller. Keep in mind that the Switch uses about as much power during active use as the OG PS4 uses during rest mode. It uses practically none in standby.

Moreche

Mine works great after the fix I applied and I do love this controller but I have a different issue.
Even though I don't use any amiibo, if I use the amiibo settings in the Switch system settings I sometimes get a controller disconnect error and the only way to fix it, is to pair the controller again.

Is the Switch your first tablet or something?

Why are you turning the Switch off to begin with?

There's a reason the power button on the system proper only puts the console into standby.
There's a reason the only way to power Switch down completely is to physically hold that button. You can't find the option elsewhere in the OS, because it practically exists for troubleshooting purposes only.

They are misunderstanding it. They think when they put their tv/stream device/bluray/reciever and other consoles in standby that they are turned off completely when they are not then confuse sleep mode as turning off the screen only on a smartphone or something.

Edit: As you say in your edit, they draw a little power thus not off. Pretty sure these console draw little power in standby at least here in the EU they are compliant with regulations regarding that. Believe in America they use a bit more, so a little different set up.

On ps3 with the Switch off it had to be flipped on to use the button.

Moreche

You aren't turning those systems off then. You just think you are. It's all standby.
This.
Powering off the switch using the button on the switch is shutting it down. There's no way for it to accept a signal from the controller. It's the same as disconnecting the plug from your console.

shiyrley

Banned
It's common sense guys, if the console is able to accept a wireless input it's literally impossible for that console to be 100% turned off. So no, you guys aren't turning your PS4 100% off

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a pro controller yesterday and it seems to work quite well. The only time I could get the right or left direction to register as up is if I rolled or pushed the d-pad up while still holding the right or left direction. Is this actually a defect, isn't this how most d-pads work? I guess it could be considered poor design.

Edit: Oh, I see the topic of this thread has changed...

I ended up doing the tape mod and it really did help. I guess I didn't cover up enough of the contacts (I'd suggest going a a little bit more more than halfway) because it still does it going from up to down, though it's much less often, and the d-pad is actually usable now. Would very much recommend.

Nerrel

I ended up doing the tape mod and it really did help. I guess I didn't cover up enough of the contacts (I'd suggest going a a little bit more more than halfway) because it still does it going from up to down, though it's much less often, and the d-pad is actually usable now. Would very much recommend.

You only want to cover up the bare minimum you have to in order to prevent bad diagonals and nothing more. Unfortunately, that's a trial and error thing that will vary with each controller. I went a little over halfway on the left contact and as a result it stopped responding to very gentle presses. I didn't notice at first because it still worked with a solid press.

I wonder if taking a hole punch to the tape would help; that way you could still leave the center of the contact open, but have the edges totally covered.

NFreak

Nvm lol, will try out soon. Did you put the tape a little past half of the contacts like they suggest, or did you do halfway, or less than half? Some suggest doing less, some suggest doing more.

I did a little more than halfway. Seems to be ok. If you wanna be safe though I'd go right at halfway.

The problem with Nintendo is that most of the time they rarely ever fix some design flaws. While the left joycon mess was a serious one, this feels like something that will remain for some time. I mean, they never solved the 3ds up screen vertical stretch and 6 years later, it still happens in the 2ds xl :/

Col.Asher

The Wii-motes is pretty bad, I'm playing pikmin 2 right now and the amount of times that the camera zooms in and out(controlled with left and right) when I'm directing pikmin(you have to hold down) is really annoying.

I think my dpad works 100% fine. I have tested on the home screen, and with Tetris and USFII. No issues that I've run into with phantom inputs. My left analog stick on the other hand does sometimes register an extra input in the left or right direction. Don't really notice it during gameplay other than when navigating menus. Rather have this problem than the dpad issue though.

I have a second sealed/unopened from launch. Really wish there was a way to get my $70 back. Dpad is Chinese knock off tier due to its design.

The people saying "no problems here" are not sensitive to the issue but if youve been seeking dpad perfection, its clear just looking at the pcb that its flawed.

The people saying "no problems here" are not sensitive to the issue but if youve been seeking dpad perfection, its clear just looking at the pcb that its flawed.

I'm not saying its the best dpad ever by any means, but specifically speaking to the issue of phantom up and down inputs when pressing left or right that many people seem to be having. As mentioned by others, this would be very obvious in Puyo Puyo Tetris gameplay, and I 100% do not have that problem. Just played it again right now with 0 issues.

Duffk1ng

I'm not saying its the best dpad ever by any means, but specifically speaking to the issue of phantom up and down inputs when pressing left or right that many people seem to be having. As mentioned by others, this would be very obvious in Puyo Puyo Tetris gameplay, and I 100% do not have that problem. Just played it again right now with 0 issues.

I almost guarantee you'll be able to force it to happen. It doesn't happen under normal conditions for me either, but if I hold right or something I can definitely force it to drop without actually pressing up on the dpad and just rolling my finger up on the right or left of the dpad.

There's just not enough of a "ball" in the middle of the dpad to stop the minor amount of travel you get if you hit the upper or lower edge of the left/right directions so it can register phantom input as a result. It's a design flaw but some units are more susceptible to it than others. I really have to force mine to do it, my friends does it all the time without prompting.

VariantX

Yeah, its probably the worst D-Pad I've ever used that shipped with a console bar none. It makes the 360 pad feel precise. I'm honestly surprised how the controller seems to nail everything else, but screw that thing up. Its pretty much why I'll be buying sonic mania on PS4 instead of Switch. I'll even use the joycons before using that D-Pad while small are at least pretty damn precise. Nintendo always had great D-Pads so I cant understand what they felt they needed to change to make it so much worse than it needed to be.

Mr Git

Even the GC's was decent but just for fucking ants. Shame about the complete turnaround for the Switch, it was honestly the first thing I tested when I first tried the console at a friend's. Disappointing.

Just did that dumb tape fix and yeah, it definitely helped a lot. The controller test is like 90% improved.

I don't mean it's a dumb idea, I mean it's dumb I had to do it. I also wish one person without any problems would record the controller test as they rocked their thumb back and forth across the pad, for science.

Top Bottom