• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

TheFuzz

Should I wait 24 hours to dock the Switch after applying the amfilm protector? I had planned on sticking it right back in.

Also: this protector is soooooo nice. Love it.

Davilmar

🤔

Should I wait 24 hours to dock the Switch after applying the amfilm protector? I had planned on sticking it right back in.

Also: this protector is soooooo nice. Love it.

When I placed my amFilm glass protector Switch into the dock, I noticed the bottom corner of my Switch lose suction. It is hard to know how much that is because of the heat or my trouble with bubbles, but I would leave it off the dock for it to settle fully.

TheFuzz

When I placed my amFilm glass protector Switch into the dock, I noticed the bottom corner of my Switch lose suction. It is hard to know how much that is because of the heat or my trouble with bubbles, but I would leave it off the dock for it to settle fully.

Thanks. I'll let it settle tonight, get some Overwatch in and head back to Zelda tomorrow.

GAF let me tell you a short tale.

I just came home after work and saw my package on the dining room table. Oh boy, time to finally get the amFilm on. I turned on the shower and let it run hot for a few minutes and close the door. I opened the package and get all the contents out. Okay let's do this. I entered the steamy bathroom and locked the damn cats out. No way you fuckers are ruining this for me. I get the film out and line it up perfectly. Attached two hinge stickers. Folded it back and used the wet wipe then the dry one. Removed the film and let it drop... and it wasn't attaching smoothly. Oh well can't be perfect. Then I started to notice it was doing a really bad job of sticking to the surface, bubbles everywhere. What the hell. I picked up the card and started to work at the bubbles... man it's not working at all. Did I really fuck up? Then I noticed the sensor cut out on the film wasn't over anything... wait was it on the other side... oh hell... DID MY STUPID FUCKING ASS INSTALL THIS THING UPSIDE DOWN?! Yes, yes I did. The sticky surface was facing up the whole time and I didn't realize it. I guess working two 13 hour days in a row isn't the healthiest mindset to tackle this thing.

So I took off the bad film, cleaned up the screen again, and installed the next one... and it turned out perfect. It was like magic unfolding in front of me.

Yeah this film protector is pretty slick. It feels great. I'm going to let it sit and settle for at least 12 hours. Not going to turn on the Switch or plug it in or anything.

So because you had good luck installing the screen, that somehow invalidates the issue faced by myself and other users? Well, good luck with that argument. The fact is, I followed the instructions given by both the instructions in the package and the YouTube video. Still had numerous bubbles. Washed my hands until they were pale. Still had bubbles. I'm happy you managed to install your screen successfully, and I have had several successful installations on my cell phones, tablet, New Nintendo 3DS, Vita, etc. That being said, I didn't have luck with this. There isn't any need to be inconsiderate, and think my issue is well-within reason to refund. Hell, if they offered an exchange I would take it.

Your mileage may vary, so don't take my account as definitive. I just wasn't impressed with the amFilm screen, and I was surprised by how many huge bubbles still remained no matter how clean the screen remained, how many times I used the card to rid of bubbles, etc. I hope you have better luck than me!

It is not luck, but skills and patience .
Bubbles that don't go away means dust, period.the application was not Good.

I'm using the Sheikah Slate case that came with the BotW SE and the $13 (CDN) official Nintendo screen protector and I have absolutely no worries about the well being of my Switch. The case is solid and the screen protector is doing exactly what I hoped it would do. I can't recommend either highly enough.

Davilmar

It is not luck, but skills and patience .
Bubbles that don't go away means dust, period.the application was not Good.

I never said anything about the application being luck, so I don't know what the hell you are talking about. The Nintendo Switch screen was repeatedly cleaned, and I used the rather lousy dust removal sticker they had. Now that you mentioned it, I did notice some particles underneath the glass even before I removed the step one sticker. The fact is, the screen application didn't work for me. Whether it was luck or "skill" means jack shit when it doesn't provide what the product advertised. Also, the amFilm screen protector itself says "Zero bubbles," which clearly was not the case with my numerous attempts at applications. I have successfully installed 12 screen protectors on numerous devices, and this is one of only three failures. You can decide to die on hill for amFilm if you want, but I will either get a complete refund or exchange. Do whatever suits you, fam.

Meh I got annoyed with my Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector since it still hasn't arrived. So I ordered the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector. Whichever arrives first is the one I am keeping.

I went with Neon felt:

oxUcXNw.png

I also use this Gamestop case:

I had to put that "stuff" in because the case is way too big and the console is not really firm without it. Except that is pretty ok and it fits a lot of accessory, even my big ass EasyAcc powerbank

StAidan

Well, my amfilm protector came in. Will probably wait to install it till Sunday night, so I can keep playing docked until I go back to work on Monday. (I want to let the protector settle for 24 hours, like some other folks here.)

anddo0

My iLLumiShield arrived today and is installed. It looks good for being a regular screen protector. It's cut and thickness are similar to tempered glass, but not quite.

I'll order amFilm just incase..

Big Chungus

Theres a speck of dust underneath my hori screen protector, tried to remove the protector but I can't lift it up!

Any ideas?

CazTGG

So i'm considering getting a screen protector for my Nintendo Switch due to the black portion currently being smudged in addition to not wanting the screen to scratch from docking it and I have a few questions:

1. Are any of the currently screen protectors finger-proof? If so, which one comes recommended (availability via a retailer in Canada preferred)?
2. How much or little will this impact distortion of the screen and the touch screen's functionality?
3. What is the recommended method to cleaning/removing finger smudges?

Got my amfilm screen protector today and I am very happy. I got the warm shower going and everything but I got one minor dust particle but thankfully it is on the border and not the screen.

Won't be touching my Switch until tomorrow night so the screen protector can settle. I have to work tomorrow anyways, I wish I could spend Sunday playing Zelda all day.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Just wanted to note I bought an off-brand tempered glass protector by "SuperGuardZ" from Amazon since the amFilm and ORZLY won't ship for a week or two:

SuperGuardZ Tempered Glass Screen Protector [Lifetime Replacement], 9H, 0.3mm, 2.5D Round Edge, Anti-Scratch, Anti-Bubble

Despite the poor reviews (there are only three, and the reviewers clearly don't "get" tempered glass screen protectors), it worked like magic. Yes, it's extremely difficult to align properly, but that applies to all glass protectors, and since I kept my Switch in its original baggie since launch (cut corners off to attach Joy-Cons, holes above air vent, a hole for the USB-C on the bottom so it could dock, then sealed with masking tape) it was 100% dust free.

Like OP speculates, it really feels as though the myriad unlicensed glass screen protectors for Switch are sourced from the same manufacturer. If your package comes with "two glass screen protectors, wet and dry wipes, squeeze card, and dust removal stickers" -- which seems to be what the vast majority of these glass protector packages contain -- I think it's safe to assume you're receiving the same product.

Glass is the -only- way to go, folks. Once you go glass, uh... on plastic you'll pass!

Now to determine the best way to pad these accursed plastic rails...

Got my ButterFox case today. It's nice. First like a glove, almost too tight though for my tastes personally, the braiding around the case rubs against it as I put it in, have to push a bit to get it to insert. I don't like when things fit too snugly with a harder material like that as it can wear away at the edges.

I love the look, and it has everything I wanted inside. May cut the straps/bands off though, it already doesn't move at all inside the case, it really doesn't need those.

Quick update on this, as soon as I cut those elastic straps, the fit was much better. Then I just put some extra padding in there and stretched it a little and now everything fits pretty nicely. Not too snug.

Beepos

For those with Orlzy protectors ordered. While Amazon US has no user reviews, there are a few up under Amazon UK

Hopefully it is as easy to put on and has the same quality as the AmFilm protectors.

Anybody having any issues with the backplate of the console being kinda "loose"- For example I get a kinda squeaking sound when I press on the barcode on the bottom left corner. Feels like a small air pocket.. not sure if it's just from general use or another problem. Anyone else having this?

balohna

What's with the shower thing and waiting 12 hours? Is this a "just to be safe" thing, or do you basically need to do it? I'd imagine I don't want moisture if I'm adhering something to a surface. I also kinda get letting it "settle", but it's not like the Switch runs super hot if it's undocked.

eXMomoj

Posted this in the other thread but I strongly advocate for a screen protector regardless of the dock situation. I was able to make very small and light micro abrasions with just gently wiping the screen with a brand new micro fiber cloth while installing my screen protector today. Granted these micro abrasions are only barely visible at a certain angle, with the screen off, and in perfect lighting conditions; this still shows how little it takes to scratch the screen.

If you do not have a screen protector installed be VERY careful with what you use to wipe the screen and the amount of pressure you're applying. The back of the console also scratches fairly easily as well.

After noticing how easily the Switch gets scratched I went and bought an extended warranty that covers normal wear and tear as well as accidental damage. I have a feeling anyone who uses this console a decent amount in portable mode will have quite a bit of visible wear and tear after a year or two regardless how careful they are.

sirap

What's with the shower thing and waiting 12 hours? Is this a "just to be safe" thing, or do you basically need to do it? I'd imagine I don't want moisture if I'm adhering something to a surface. I also kinda get letting it "settle", but it's not like the Switch runs super hot if it's undocked.

Hot showers bump up humidity and prevent dust from floating in the air. Very useful if you're in a dusty environment.

With tempered glass protectors I don't think you have to worry about waiting periods. Just give it an hour or so to settle and you should be fine.

balohna

Hot showers bump up humidity and prevent dust from floating in the air. Very useful if you're in a dusty environment.

Ah ok, I can see that.

Still going unprotected right now, but it's such a big and apparently scratch-prone screen that I should really get on that. My dock doesn't seem to be scratching anything, yet.

Anybody having any issues with the backplate of the console being kinda "loose"- For example I get a kinda squeaking sound when I press on the barcode on the bottom left corner. Feels like a small air pocket.. not sure if it's just from general use or another problem. Anyone else having this?

I noticed that "click" on the barcode when I press down on it day 1. Never bothered me much really.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
Another success with the AmFilm-- I ordered mine 3/4 and received it 3/11. I had been babying my Switch (and it never has seen the dock!) waiting for this. I've gotten pretty good over the years at doing the film protectors, but I had never installed a glass one before so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I have never used the shower method, I just use a wet cleaner for the screen, dry it off with my own microfiber cloth (I almost never use the cloths included with protectors, they're crap, although I did use the wet and dry cloths from the AmFilm for a 'first cut' cleaning), and then have a can of compressed air handy and keep shooting any dust off the screen if I see it while I am getting ready to put the protector on.

The AmFilm is EXACTLY the same size as the Switch screen (I was expecting it to be a tiny bit smaller just to have a little 'wiggle room' in positioning) but I went slow and steady to make sure it lined up right. I was tempted to use the Hinge method posted earlier in the thread but thankfully didn't need to.

I did get a HUGE air bubble in the middle but with some patient work with the squeegee card, I was able to get it out. It was a lot more work than I've had to do with plastic ones but I assume that's the nature of the material/adhesive. Looks absolutely perfect and I haven't noticed any dust or lint whether the system is on or off.

The key to any protector installation is to be slow and steady. And I really think having the compressed air to blast the dust away is a major help.

Very impressed with it!

Posted this in the other thread but I strongly advocate for a screen protector regardless of the dock situation. I was able to make very small and light micro abrasions with just gently wiping the screen with a brand new micro fiber cloth while installing my screen protector today. Granted these micro abrasions are only barely visible at a certain angle, with the screen off, and in perfect lighting conditions; this still shows how little it takes to scratch the screen.

Are you sure those are really scratches? Sometimes a cloth can leave small markings resembling a scratch but they can be cleaned. The cloth may need to be slightly wet.

Wayoshi

My amFilm 2pk came yesterday. looks pretty great. The second peel-off kinda slipped though when taking off hte first peel and as a result it went on ever so slightly crooked. Going to try not to be OCD about it...

Kyzer

Banned
So because you had good luck installing the screen, that somehow invalidates the issue faced by myself and other users? Well, good luck with that argument. The fact is, I followed the instructions given by both the instructions in the package and the YouTube video. Still had numerous bubbles. Washed my hands until they were pale. Still had bubbles. I'm happy you managed to install your screen successfully, and I have had several successful installations on my cell phones, tablet, New Nintendo 3DS, Vita, etc. That being said, I didn't have luck with this. There isn't any need to be inconsiderate, and think my issue is well-within reason to refund. Hell, if they offered an exchange I would take it.

Your mileage may vary, so don't take my account as definitive. I just wasn't impressed with the amFilm screen, and I was surprised by how many huge bubbles still remained no matter how clean the screen remained, how many times I used the card to rid of bubbles, etc. I hope you have better luck than me!

Having big bubbles is a normal part of the installation process lol thats why they give you the card.

I fucking despise screen protectors and i absolutely love my amfilm switch protector. Its really amazing.

Installed my amFilm yesterday with perfect results. Went into a steamy bathroom and installed it there. Had no trouble docking it and playing it either. No bubbles, no dust.

MouldyK

While i'm waiting for amfilm to be in stock in the UK...should I get a cheaper one just to bide the time?

Then again, i've gone a week without one and it's fine so far.

catabarez

Installed my amfilm screen protecter. Used the tape and steam tricks and installing it was a breeze. It's slightly off center and there is a speck of dust on the bottom edge, but I can live with that.

Portman

I was going to go without a protector but after the whole dock scare and the recommendation for amFilm (thanks Aztec!) I got one ordered.

Just opened my Switch finally and got the protector applied. First time I've put one of these one and I was a bit worried with the 2 bubbles that showed up and the marks the scrape card left but they disappeared after some work and the marks were just on the protective sheet. Everything looked good but when I got to another room I noticed a tiny particle that must've gotten under it. Seems to reflect like a bit on a bright screen but not a dark one. I started to try to get it out but I figured I would wait a few days and see if it will really bother me or I'm just worrying over it.

Overall protector went on easily for a beginner like myself and seems to be great quality. Haven't docked it yet but I'll try it later on. Will have to keep that company in mind for other devices that could use a screen protector if I get converted to use them.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
If you have a glass screen you shouldn't need to pad the rails. The screen will be a lot higher on the MOHs scale and th rails won't do anything to it.

True, it's far from necessary with a glass protector, but we still don't know what long-term effects the rear rails may have. Might as well avoid any aesthetic damage to the back of the unit too...

FireRises

so from what I read, having felt pads (or cloth) on the side where the Switch faces is necessary to prevent scratches, but what about the other side of the dock? Should cloth/pads be on both sides? I read somewhere the backs were getting scratched up too.

Kudo

I'm getting all nervous about installing the glass, and it hasn't even shipped yet.
All my earlier devices have had at least one speck of dust under the protector so my experiences with these are not very positive, always bugs me out when I look at them.
Here's hoping with flashlight, steamy shower and some patience I manage to get it installed without dust next week..

I'm getting all nervous about installing the glass, and it hasn't even shipped yet.
All my earlier devices have had at least one speck of dust under the protector so my experiences with these are not very positive, always bugs me out when I look at them.
Here's hoping with flashlight, steamy shower and some patience I manage to get it installed without dust next week..
hiiiiinge methooooood

gives you plenty of leeway to position, then clean, then apply quickly to make sure you don't get any dust. :p

Just be cautious about the amfilm dry cloth used after the wet cloth. I've noticed a couple of dust fibers under the screen and they could have only come from that dry cloth. Definitely use a flashlight after wiping and use a compressed air can.

Kudo

TAS

This is ridiculous..the amFilm is unavailable in Canada and doesn't ship here from Amazon.com and the Orzly is taking forever to get here. :/ My worry is that the Orzly won't be as perfectly fitted as the amFilm. Oh well..no choice. I plan on using the steamy shower plus hinge method. Does the shower have to be running when you apply or can you let it get all steamy for 10 minutes and shut off? Thanks.

So will Amazon refund me on my hori protector? Bottom peels up constantly. Waiting for my glass one to come in.

Does the glass one make the docking snug? I don't want to end up scratching the back by trying to keep the front unscratched.

Has a solution or product been made that will allow a skin protector on the Switch? I know that it wasn't working before due to the skin protector peeling off the coating of the Switch or something like that.

Top Bottom