• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

Sargon

It is so ridiculous that Nintendo didn't foresee, or completely ignored, these issues with the dock. How did this not come up in product testing?

anddo0

It is so ridiculous that Nintendo didn't foresee, or completely ignored, these issues with the dock. How did this not come up in product testing?

It's clearly a design flaw, the dock space is too tight.

Has there ever been a product recall for a console?

(Also #paging immortald3ath)

For y'all using moleskin, are you concerned at all about the pressure on the screen issue that Kagoshima_Luke mentioned?

appleofenlightment made a related post:

Thanks all. I'm considering canceling my AM protector given the melting issue. :/

I think we're kind of in uncharted territory right now. It seems pretty much all screen protectors are having issues reported. I'm imagining it's probably friction from sliding In and out that's causing sheering between the screen protector and the screen. I just can't believe it would be heat. The device doesn't seem to actually get that hot, even while docked, at least not hot enough to seriously warp plastic or melt adhesive that's rated for reasonably high temperatures. If that's the case we're looking at much worse issues than our screen protector adhesives warping.

My recommendation for now if you're going to moleskin or felt route is just to apply it to the front side only. I'm going to stick with electrical tape for now because it hardly impacts the fit being extremely thin and I can clean it easily. I really can't speak to any issues for me at this point. That doesn't mean I might now have some down the line though.

Burli

Pringo
I'll be very surprised (and disappointed) if Nintendo don't acknowledge the dock issue and send out official adhesive pads at the very least. From a product design point of view the issue is laughably amateur. A product that damages itself, pfft.

The (only) benefit of being caught out by the Switch's popularity and regretting not pre-ordering is that by the time I get my hands on the thing there'll likely be more permanent and official solutions in place.

Probably okay but give your screen a day to settle before throwing it in the dock.

I think a lot of folks don't take those warnings about letting a screen protector settle and dry out seriously. The heat generated in that dock isn't good for a fresh screen protector.

This only applies to the soft, pliable protectors right? Or is it also the case with stuff like the amFilm tempered-glass protector that many are recommending here?

I'll be very surprised (and disappointed) if Nintendo don't acknowledge the dock issue and send out official adhesive pads at the very least. From a product design point of view the issue is laughably amateur. A product that damages itself, pfft.

The (only) benefit of being caught out by the Switch's popularity and regretting not pre-ordering is that by the time I get my hands on the thing there'll likely be more permanent and official solutions in place.

Yeah, I really wish they'd come out and do something about it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This person claims to have had trouble with the adhesive on the amFilm protector

It might be fine if you make sure to leave it alone and let it set for several hours after application.

Jeez, thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely let it rest for a good while after application then.

I've been keeping up with this thread from the start, and as far as screen protectors go, amFilm still seems like the best option huh? I think I'm gonna forgo taping anything to the culprit bumpers within the dock as I'm worried about pressure from tightness/snugness, as well as heat issues with adhesive used to attach softer material on those ridges in the dock. :/

rec0ded1

For those using the spongy sleeve from the packing have you noticed any scratches yet? Seems like everything scratches the screen. They really should have just made it Wii u style and include a flap thingy to cover the screen.

Qasiel

Might be the wrong thread, but as I was giving my Switch a preemptive clean I noticed a speck of dust actually under the screen. Not entirely sure what to do here as I'm putting on my screen protector soon. Reckon it's worth just dealing with it, or engaging Nintendo?

Pic for clarity:

Untitled_zpszjw3d1a0.png

Watch this turn out to be doomed if you do, doomed if you don't situation. No screen protector? Scratched to shit. Screen protector? Bubbled or warped.

I just want to mod my dock or create a new one so I don't have to worry about this crap.

Maybe my electrical tape is too old but I find its creating black smudges so I didn't put it on. Is that normal for it to leave behind residue like that?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Might be the wrong thread, but as I was giving my Switch a preemptive clean I noticed a speck of dust actually under the screen. Not entirely sure what to do here as I'm putting on my screen protector soon. Reckon it's worth just dealing with it, or engaging Nintendo?

Pic for clarity:

That is a manufacturing defect and should be replaced. Whether Nintendo will replace it, I don't know, but dirt or specks under the screen are not acceptable. The first Wii U I bought had that on the gamepad screen and I had to exchange it for another one at Target. That's probably not an option with the Switch right now given scarcity.

Lilphish

Neo Member
Is basic black felt good enough or is it too rough? I have a Ozrly glass protector coming but that's still like two weeks away. I picked this up from Michaels and was gonna double side tape it into the dock.

http://www.michaels.com/black-felt-squares/D006440S.html?productsource=PDPZ1

Michaels has self-adhesive black felt just like this in store. I just came back from there and it works great for the switch. I used it on both sides of the dock and a nice snug fit with no scratching.

Qasiel

That is a manufacturing defect and should be replaced. Whether Nintendo will replace it, I don't know, but dirt or specks under the screen are not acceptable. The first Wii U I bought had that on the gamepad screen and I had to exchange it for another one at Target. That's probably not an option with the Switch right now given scarcity.

Figured it was worth shooting Nintendo a message after reading this. I'm happy to wait and see what they come up with because I can dock it for the meantime but I just figured I'd get a second opinion.

Cheers!

ColdPizza

Banned
Almost had a heart attack when I undocked and saw some streaks on the bezel. Wasn't rubbing out with a microfiber towel. Then I dampened the towel and applied more pressure and it came out. Whew.

Neoxon

Just put in some electric tape in the dock to protect the screen. Hopefully that prevents any scratching.

Almost had a heart attack when I undocked and saw some streaks on the bezel. Wasn't rubbing out with a microfiber towel. Then I dampened the towel and applied more pressure and it came out. Whew.

What solution are you using? Tape, felt, nothing?

Maybe my electrical tape is too old but I find its creating black smudges so I didn't put it on. Is that normal for it to leave behind residue like that?

Not usually, it requires quite a bit of friction and over a relatively long period of time to cause it to "fall apart" usually. If you're worried get some new tape and try it out, or go the felt route. At the current moment I'm just frustrated because neither is really a long term solution.

Lilphish

Neo Member
So as I mentioned a few posts ago, I ended up using self-adhesive black felt for the dock. I ended up lining both sides of it and it has a nice snug fit. I was just thinking though if I'm going to be causing any type of heat related issues. It appears that it vents from the top and It think it would be fine, but just wanted to see if any others had issues.

ohlawd

good god I could barely see that electrical tape in your pics even after blowing it up

nice idea tho. I'll apply some later.

TunaLover

I've only tried a plastic protector on my WiiU and it seems to lost some of the screen sensitivity, it's the same with tempered glass? Also is the Switch screen that scratchable?

So as I mentioned a few posts ago, I ended up using self-adhesive black felt for the dock. I ended up lining both sides of it and it has a nice snug fit. I was just thinking though if I'm going to be causing any type of heat related issues. It appears that it vents from the top and It think it would be fine, but just wanted to see if any others had issues.

I doubt it would increase the temperature much at all, if there's heat issues, they're already there and some felt isn't going to be the problem. The main issue which is why I'm wary of felt. Is dust, dirt and other particulates get trapped in stuff like felt very easy and as it's a very snug fit like you said, that can become a somewhat abrasive surface over time. It's just a crappy situation. Felt may be the best bet, but I just don't know.

I've only tried a plastic protector on my WiiU and it seems to lost some of the screen sensitivity, it's the same with tempered glass? Also is the Switch screen that scratchable?
Tempered glass is usually a better in terms of capacitive touch, but mainly that's because for me the only time it's ever really been an issue is with plastic, but that's mainly because of texture and feel (grippy/sticky) throwing off how you interact with the touch screen and less to do with the actual touch sensitivity. It's also worth noting I believe the Wii-U was resistive touch screen which is quite a bit worse in terms of sensitivity.

Yes plastic screens scratch easily. They aren't nearly as hard as glass.

DiscoStarslayer

Neo Member

I remember going to one of the pre-release switch events, during my 10 minutes with Zelda I popped the system out of the dock, and the corners of the screen was all scratched. I initially assumed it was from dropping or maybe scraping on the corner of one of the abrasive rocks on the display unit. Definitely not the only unit to have a scratch on it at the event, I'm positive they have had first hand experience of this issue.

Someone decided it wasn't worth fixing I guess.

Poppyseed

Pic for clarity:

Saw a Switch like that myself. Just stinks, since it's forever there. I'd exchange it, personally.

Bought the Orzly tempered glass protector, and some mole skin for the dock. Hopefully that will be enough, any reviews anywhere on the Orzly?

DarkKyo

Just wanted to recommend the basic Hori screen for simple protection. I can't overstate how impressed I am at it. It's pretty much the most perfect result I've ever had with a screen protector. Not a single particle or bubble is stuck under it after application and it looks like nothing is covering it. Probably due in part to both the innovative application process and using the shower steam method. The only criticism I have is that the little wipe cloth it comes with is terrible! It leaves tiny fibers all over your screen which is pretty much exactly what you're using the wipe to avoid. I used an old, softer, microfiber cloth square I got with a monitor to wipe down the screen and like I said it turned out great.

Just wanted to recommend the basic Hori screen for simple protection. I can't overstate how impressed I am at it. It's pretty much the most perfect result I've ever had with a screen protector. Not a single particle or bubble is stuck under it after application and it looks like nothing is covering it. Probably due in part to both the innovative application process and using the shower steam method. The only criticism I have is that the little wipe cloth it comes with is terrible! It leaves tiny fibers all over your screen which is pretty much exactly what you're using the wipe to avoid. I used an old, softer, microfiber cloth square I got with a monitor to wipe down the screen and like I said it turned out great.

Can you provide some pictures? How's the feel with touch? The Hori seemed to be a thinner but a bit harder than many so that's good. The protector that came with my case I didn't use was awful though. Just a thin semi rigid plastic sheet.

Xdrive05

For those concerned about dock scratching, does a normal screen protector take care of that as an issue? I haven't noticed any scratches on the screen protector myself. But I've only docked it maybe eight or ten times so far.

Or even with a screen protector should you mod the dock like folks on here are talking about?

Sh0k

Pic for clarity:

I have exactly the same problem, didn't notice it when I got the system but when I was cleaning the screen to apply the screen protector, I noticed a speck of dust under the screen. Let me know if you send Nintendo a message and what they say.

For those concerned about dock scratching, does a normal screen protector take care of that as an issue? I haven't noticed any scratches on the screen protector myself. But I've only docked it maybe eight or ten times so far.

Or even with a screen protector should you mod the dock like folks on here are talking about?

Potentially your screen protector will get scuffed up over time. Thin protectors also can allow things to scratch through the protector if the force is strong enough. The dock likely wouldn't be an issue in that case though. It's just a matter of not wanting visible scratches either way. Plus for many they also went to protect the back as well as it will likely get worn down over time from frequent friction along the rugged plastic.

M_A_C

Great to hear. I just got mine delivered today (I didn't know Amazon did that on Sunday with USPS). I'll put it on shortly.

usctrojan

I have exactly the same problem, didn't notice it when I got the system but when I was cleaning the screen to apply the screen protector, I noticed a speck of dust under the screen. Let me know if you send Nintendo a message and what they say.

+1 are you guys keeping?

Qasiel

+1 are you guys keeping?

I've sent Nintendo a message to see what they come back with. I'll update you guys when they reply, if you'd like.

DonMigs85

Take some shots if you don't mind and give impressions. I'm curious to know what makes their application so special.

If it's like their New 3DS protectors, you don't peel off most of the bottom plastic layer until you've aligned it as best as you can on one side. But you do have to make sure the bottom plastic layer is completely dust-free first.

Anyone here using a dock without any protection but just with a screen protector not experienced any issues? Trying to see how widespread the dock issue is or if it's just a GAF bubble from us OCD gamers. Thanks.

XaosWolf

Here is my velcro solution to avoid scratching any part of the front or back of the Switch when sliding into or out of the dock. Make sure you only use the soft side of the velcro only, not the scratchy side. ;-)

Works beautifully. My Switch now slides in/out super smoothly and quietly, and with no chance of scratches.

More photos here:
http://imgur.com/a/jd8uX

iLxIBrW.jpg

I used your solution and it looks fantastic. =D

It has also removed the wobbliness that the docked Switch usually has.

Sh0k

+1 are you guys keeping?

I've sent Nintendo a message to see what they come back with. I'll update you guys when they reply, if you'd like.

I would like to know what answer Qasiel gets, but to tell you the truth is such a tiny speck that it's not noticeable when the system is on or running a game, only when the screen is off, so I'm keeping my system for the moment. What's weird is that the day I got my Switch I inspected the screen really good and didn't notice anything bad with the screen, it was until the next day that I notice it.

Sh0k

Anyone here using a dock without any protection but just with a screen protector not experienced any issues? Trying to see how widespread the dock issue is or if it's just a GAF bubble from us OCD gamers. Thanks.

I have used the dock with and without screen protector and so far no scratches, I'm being very careful inserting and taking the Switch out of the dock. I noticed in the dock that the plastic tabs that kind off holds the Switch have some kind of rubber coating that at first I confused of being foam tabs, it may be that with the rush of getting the systems out, some docks didn't get that coating?

Top Bottom