• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tone of Tales of Game's Presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

Fandangox

...Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

Okay this is an odd thread, but it's something I have been wanting to talk about for a while.
Is about the tone of the game. I think the game did really well as an actual RPG, when it comes to gameplay, but obviously the game is very funny.

It doesn't take itself seriously, but it does so in a very different manner than a lot of games that don't take itself seriously either. Take a look at games like Kid Icarus: Uprising, Bayonetta, or Wonderful 101. They are all funny games, with various amount of camp and self awareness, they don't really try to take themselves seriously, but even then, all of these games have their "serious" dramatic moments for when the story starts to hit the climax. Like the whole ring prison deal with Uprising, or Bayonetta's
fight with her father

However in Tales of Game's Presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. In-Universe the characters all take their situation very seriously, there's some moments where the characters make jokes, but is not breaking the fourth wall, or stating the ridiculousness of the situation. Even parts that are incredibly ridiculous or hilarious just in concept Like the Ghost Dad battle are taken seriously by the character. I think this creates a very unique tone that I rarely see in games, or pretty much any media whatsoever, a story where you know its supposed to be very funny, its obviously presented that way, but its actually very serious for the characters in the story.

How do you think the game handled it's comedy? Do you know of any games with a similar tone? For me the closest would be something like Resident Evil 4, but I guess a lot of people will disagree with me there, since the situations there are not that ridiculous, and it feels more like the game taking the piss out of B-Horror movies.

Top Bottom