• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Major telecoms promise 5G networks if EU cripples net neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kthulhu

A group of 20 major telcos including Deutsche Telekom, Nokia, Vodafone, and BT promise to launch 5G networks in every country in the European Union by 2020 — so long as governments decide to weaken net neutrality rules. The coalition's plans are outlined in its "5G Manifesto," a seven-page document that details how the companies will roll 5G out across the continent over the next few years. However, by warning against regulation that would ensure an open internet and encouraging nations to water rules down, the companies are effectively holding the new technology for ransom.

The commission is also having a survey on it.

The commission is taking in feedback on the document from a public survey that's open until tomorrow.

Link to source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/10/1...nies-5g-service-european-union-net-neutrality

Link to survey: https://ec.europa.eu/eusurvey/runner/FiveGIntroductionOpportunities

Deny me 5G if old.

Do the right thing EU GAF.

Edit: Obligatory

turned-on.gif

Sure. Until one will built it anyway to get more customers and the rest has to follow or be left behind with a crappy network. But good luck with the blackmailing.

oh please. such obvious bullshit that might even work.

They could claim to hold out waiting for net neutrality to be crippled for years if they wanted.

THE SECOND a competitor starts rolling it out they'll all cave.

4g+ is plenty fast. You are just holding a technology we don't really need ransom.
IG5CTC.gif

Not a great plan.

The dumbasses in the commission will fall for it,won't they?

Lulu23

4G is fast enough. Better coverage and no freaking data limit is what we need.
What the hell am I gonna do with so much bandwidth if my limit is reached within a couple of minutes of watching videos?

God as if i could not hate the Deutsche Telekom any more. Refuse building a future-proof fiber network and infrastructure, push that mediocre mid-term solution vectoring and now this shit. Get fucking rekt.

What the hell am I gonna do with so much bandwidth if my limit is reached within a couple of minutes of watching videos?

So true, the rich are getting richer and those with fast and good connections get even faster and better connections.

This guy gets it. Telecoms pushing 5G makes me think of TV manufacturers pushing 4K when most "HD" TV broadcasts aren't even 1080p yet. Get 4G working in my basement and stop throttling my so-called "unlimited" 4G connection before you try to sell me 5G.

enemy2k

So holding 5g hostage.. Of course these big corps have no problem blackmailing the politicians and usually succeed. Hopefully the EU doesn't accept this shit.

I have a 40 minute commute every day through one of te densest populated areas in all of Europe. Most of the time I have no reception or GPRS only.
Maybe you should work on improving your coverage first, Deutsche Telekom?

edit: yes we have data caps and they are ridiculous.
Usually it's. betwee 500Mb to 2gb. 5g is completely pointless

Zaph

What has a the EU ever done for you, eh?

Seriously fuck these guys. If left to their own devices, would we get 5G sooner? Sure? Maybe? But imagine trying to make sense of your contract - "right, so I can stream Sky Go any time, but BBC iPlayer only between 9am-1pm otherwise it counts against my 'Premium Bandwith', but if I sign up for their TV bundle, that changes to 9am-5pm, but still doesn't include Netflix. Oh shit, Skype isn't in that bundle."

Fuck them

nubbe

It's when shit like this happen that the government split the companies and start a public telecom provider

Foffy

Banned
It's a bit hilarious when some offer paltry data caps but supposedly will want to implement 5G.

They'll announce 5G plans to offer "insurance" to the customers they're already gating into extortion while making pro-5G plans that will, of course, cost more money.

LeleSocho

Banned
Instead of pushing for 5G for the various capitals of Europe they should push for an omnipresent availability of 4G everywhere on the face of this continent.
Does that mean that we'll be late or skip 5G altogether? Who cares, as i said before 4G is already plenty fast and will be for the next decade.

Great, cripple the ability to browse websites you want at massive speeds no one needs to get even faster speeds to browse a few websites nobody actually wants too see.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Damn I just got Vodafone 4G sim today which is pretty nice btw. Got a 10GB/month pack which is more than enough for me.

MrChom

I have 4g, I have unlimited data, I'm paying about £20 a month.

At this point I think the EU basically has to just say "We'll build the infrastructure, you guys get to use it" so they can stop weird blackmail like this.

Fucking rentierism. I hope the EU calls their bluff; carriers will need to introduce 5G to compete with each other if they don't just want to engage in price wars and destroy their margins.

I don't remember the last time I had serious problems with my internet speed outside of when I'm in an area with no service. Who needs this?

kadotsu

Banned
All 5 are making the same threat. Seems like collusion, the EU should fine them monthly until one of them stops colluding.

Somnid

Technically 4G already violates net-neutrality because it prioritizes different types of data differently. Voice and other things deemed realtime might be given priority over downloads for example. My guess it whatever "5G" infrastructure they want to settle on is based on the idea of packet sorting and prioritization. I can see why you would but I think if you really want to be "5G" then you need to take a long hard look at what constitutes a generational leap, including the political concerns.

You could already tell it was difficult for them to showcase to consumers the benefits of 4G compared with 3G when it launched.

It'll be even more hilarious with 5G. “You get 500 Mbps speed instead of 150! WHAT A GAMECHANGER!!” As if anyone cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom