• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Major telecoms promise 5G networks if EU cripples net neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.
This world, collectively, needs to do something about these telecom companies, it's getting ridiculous. Canada has 3 who are all in cahoots with each other, the US has been Comcasted to fucking hell and now this bullshit. People need to be fucking tossed in prison for the way these companies operate and hold back progress. Fucking disgusting that we continue to let this happen.

K' Dash

question:

What are the advantages of having the same speed over a new tech?

If I have 4Mb, isn't it the same 4Mb over 3G, 4G, 5G? are there any advantages?

Kthulhu

This world, collectively, needs to do something about these telecom companies, it's getting ridiculous. Canada has 3 who are all in cahoots with each other, the US has been Comcasted to fucking hell and now this bullshit. People need to be fucking tossed in prison for the way these companies operate and hold back progress. Fucking disgusting that we continue to let this happen.

All we can do is wait for Google to save us all.

question:

Speed, that's about it.

4G is fast enough. Better coverage and no freaking data limit is what we need.
What the hell am I gonna do with so much bandwidth if my limit is reached within a couple of minutes of watching videos?

Plus we need net neutrality. I'd rather go back to not having internet on my phone than lose that.

Fuck these assholes. Let m shove 5g up their ugly asses.

K' Dash

Speed, that's about it.

I suspected as much, I have an unlimited 4Mb plan, that's the fastest mobile internet available, but they charge more if you choose 4G over 3G, that's a fucking crime.

question:

Latency for example. Playing video games online with 4G is much closer to a wired connection than 3G.

Kthulhu

I hope you're not serious...

A Google monopoly.That's some dystopian future.

Look up Google Fiber and Project Fi. Then tell me Google controlling the internet would be worse than what we have now.

I suspected as much, I have an unlimited 4Mb plan, that's the fastest mobile internet available, but they charge more if you choose 4G over 3G, that's a fucking crime.

The best part about that is that 4G is cheaper to implement than 3G and they charge you more because your ignorant.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Look up Google Fiber and Project Fi. Then tell me Google controlling the internet would be worse than what we have now.

Maybe from a US perspective, sure, but there's a whole world out there with many countries that actually have nice internet prices and no caps.

Enkidu

While I understand the general sentiment in here that 5G feels a bit premature, the main reason for it isn't really greater download speeds. Sure, they will try to wow people with claims of 10 gbps downlink speeds, but the main reason for 5G is to get low latency communication and to support massive networks of low-powered devices (the Internet of Things). Most likely we will also be moving towards much smaller base-stations closer to the end users (in order to make use of far higher frequency spectra where there is still a lot of bandwidth available), and at that point we might see 5G trying to muscle into WiFi's territory (and expect to see some sort of answer to Bluetooth as well).

devilhawk

Nice blackmail from the little cartel they have going on. Effectively refusing to advance technology unless their bribes work.

Caayn

This is pretty shitty. The telcos admit that they can do it before 2020 but only if they're allowed to blackmail. I hope that the EU steps up and kicks them back down.
I'd rather drop internet all together than use Google as my only source of internet.
We can't all be south Korea.
Sorry that you need to live in a country with fucked up ISPs. But here in Europe, where I live in the Netherlands, there's no Google in sight and yet we can get 1Gbit/1Gbit connections without your silly caps. I myself have a 500Mb/500Mb fibre connection with no cap. It's not that Google is doing gods work it's that your ISPs are lazy.

Engell

Im feeling fine at the moment on 4G. I can't really get a subscription today without getting more data then i would ever use on my phone..

Sure at some point we need to go faster, but why not let them big companies compete, there is absolutely no point in playing along with their game.

Kthulhu

This is pretty shitty. The telcos admit that they can do it before 2020 but only if they're allowed to blackmail. I hope that the EU steps up and kicks them back down.
I'd rather drop internet all together than use Google as my only source of internet.
Sorry that you need to live in a country with fucked up ISPs. But here in Europe, where I live in the Netherlands, there's no Google in sight and yet we can get 1Gbit/1Gbit connections without your silly caps. I myself have a 500Mb/500Mb fibre connection with no cap. It's not that Google is doing gods work it's that your ISPs are lazy.

Most people dont have data caps on their home internet. Only cellular data is capped .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom