• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Trump launches nationwide Snapchat filter to attack 'Crooked Hillary'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kthulhu

Trump launches nationwide Snapchat filter to attack 'Crooked Hillary' before debate

After blasting her in Twitter tirades and during campaign trail speeches, Donald Trump is turning to Snapchat to attack Hillary Clinton. Trump's campaign has purchased national Snapchat geofilters, the Independent Journal Review reports, that will be available to Snapchat users during Monday's debate. A preview version of the filter frames the event as being "Donald J. Trump vs. Crooked Hillary," but Time says it will be changed during the debate itself for a different version that removes the direct attack on the Democratic candidate.

While both Trump and Clinton campaigns have paid for Snapchat filters before at regional levels, Trump's debate filter will mark the first time a candidate has purchased one of the overlays to run at a national level — only one of which is available per day. Of the two camps, it's Clinton's campaign that has more regularly turned to the app — using events like this month's Iowa vs. Iowa State football game to promote its candidate— but Trump's team is reportedly trying to increase its reach among the younger voters that make up the bulk of Snapchat's userbase.

Why does the fact that Clinton has used it more not surprise me?

At a regional level, Iowa has been a particular hotbed of political Snapchatting: Bernie Sanders' campaign purchased regional filters in the state, and prior to Trump's selection as the Republican presidential candidate, Ted Cruz called out "Duckling Donald" in a Des Moines-specific filter. But it's not just swing states that were targeted by political groups keen to score that valuable youth engagement. Clinton has used Snapchat's stories to attack Trump's policies, while conservative group Judicial Watch also ran its own filter during Hillary Clinton's Benghazi hearing that attacked the Democratic nominee over her email records.

The filter in question:

trumpchat.0.png

I'm surprised Snapchat has the influence to be considered worth putting money into for a presidential campaign. I was kinda expecting worse from Trump, but I guess you can only do so much on Snapchat.

People are going to eat that up.

Edit: shit I didn't even realize I copied the post above mine. I'm up too early to be posting.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Hmm, hopefully this will not interfere with any future letmedothis posts.

Am I a real millenial if I have zero interest in Snapchat?

I deleted mine because I didn't want to watch my friend's 30 pictures of their meal and what the beach looks like today through their stories. If it's a good shot or worth sharing, I'd just see it on Instagram later anyway.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kind of disappointed that Snapchat played along with and approved this.

They've been taking money from both campaigns for ads, so it isn't that weird. They actually did some cool behind the scenes story stuff for the Dem and GOP primaries.

DeviantBoi

Whenever horrible people try to use social media... it backfires in spectacular and hilarious ways.

I'm hoping that this is no exception.

Nipo

This election has really lowered my opinion on the USA. No respect, no class, no substance.

First election? You don't remember the primary where one candidate robo called voters asking if being away his opponent had a black child would sway their opinion?

Normally I would just roll my eyes at the use of social media in this election, but the idea of a trio of Septuagenarians using SnapChat makes me chuckle.

The Trump campaign trying to memeify "Crooked Hillary" almost assuredly means he's going to 'accidentally' call her that at least once tonight. We'll all die a little inside when his supporters and Ms Flowers clap at the ruthless barb.

entremet

First election? You don't remember the primary where one candidate robo called voters asking if being away his opponent had a black child would sway their opinion?
It's definitely the first election for many. Politics is ugly.

Guevara

Yes, everyone 35 or under uses snapchat and will be swayed by this.

You know you are old as fuck when you start complaining about the next generation.

Vanity Fair said:
HILLARY CLINTON COULD LOSE THE ELECTION BECAUSE MILLENNIALS DON’T LIKE HER

Polls show how young Gary Johnson and Jill Stein supporters could hand Donald Trump the White House.

If Hillary Clinton loses the election to Donald Trump, it will be because young people didn’t vote for her. That’s not to say that they like Trump—on the contrary, polls show millennials dislike the Republican nominee by historic proportions. About two-thirds of young voters say he is unqualified to be president, racist, and biased against women. But instead of voting for the one candidate who can beat him, large numbers of millennials are planning to vote for third-party candidates who have no chance of accomplishing anything, except perhaps tipping the scales for Trump. According to one recent Quinnipiac poll, 29 percent of likely voters between the ages of 18 and 34 would rather vote for the libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson, and 15 percent say they will vote for Green Party candidate Jill Stein. Clinton received just 31 percent support in the poll—more than Trump’s 26 percent, but far below the numbers she needs to ensure a comfortable margin of victory.
Despite the historic nature of her candidacy—and the potentially history-ending nature of Trump’s—the numbers for Clinton look inescapably grim. A G.W.U. Battleground poll taken in September found that only 22 percent of voters between the ages of 18 and 34 believe that Clinton “says what she believes,” and only 38 percent believes she is “honest and trustworthy.” Though Clinton and her positions overlap neatly with millennial views—free college tuition, apprenticeship programs, birth control, battling climate change and income inequality, and others—she acknowledged, as she spoke, that she had a massive trust gap to overcome between her and young voters.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/hillary-clinton-millennial-voters

Shit's dire. Millennials are "too smart" to vote for Clinton.

The only thing I look forward to is if this geotag/filter backfires horribly and it's just anti-Trump people using it ironically.

Even if they haven't spent that much on TV, the Trump campaign has gone nuts with online advertising. It feels like half of my YouTube ads before a video are the same Trump campaign ad. Plus I keep seeing sponsored ads for him on Twitter when I'm on my work account.

I don't remember an election where it was this bad no. Refusing to say the name of your opponent without 'lying' or 'crooked' in front of it, inviting an affair of your opponents husband... come on.

Brinbe

Regardless of anything, that there's a filter available labeling her Crooked Hillary is a problem. Anything that further feeds into that idea among young voters is a win for the Trump Campaign. He's perfectly fine with the idea of people thinking they're all the same. He comes out ahead then.

I wonder if Equal Access and Lowest Unit Rate applies for these kinds of things like they do for TV/Print/Outdoor. If so, Trump could have gotten a great deal on it and Hillary could get the same deal. It's still a grey area for internet advertising and this probably falls into that bucket.

This is smart.

Dude may be one of the worst people to ever run for president, also one of the worst candidates, also a racist, also a sexist.....but he does know how to market.

Nightbird

Am I a real millenial if I have zero interest in Snapchat?

I am a Millenial, and i don't use Snapchat/Instagramm. Heck, i mostly use Twitter

(and Facebook for contacts i don't wanna lose)

With that said, that Snapchat idea is not bad, it's just the execution thats bad (but thats no suprise considering who made it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom