• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick. Premieres Sunday Sept. 17 on PBS.

sqwarlock

Watching the broadcast ones from the PBS site, but wonder if the explicit one is a better to way to watch it. Not that I have anything that can stream that version I don't think (all I have is a PS4 and a Chromcast)

Ho Chi Minh fought the Japanese, then the French for independence. An election was stopped from happening because the results would have not agreed with the interests of the US or the people in power in South Vietnam. I personally believe he is a flawed character who just wanted freedom for his nation and didn't want it to be the puppet of yet another foreign power, no matter the cost.

Thanks you for all the infos !

By this part sound weird, in what sense Ho Chi Minh was flawed ? According to the description you gave of him, he seems great.

By this part sound weird, in what sense Ho Chi Minh was flawed ? According to the description you gave of him, he seems great.

He had thousands of people executed in his political purges and didn't care if innocent people were killed so long as they killed anyone who supported the french. Many people from villages he supported were executed in his purges, and the Viet Minh often buried people alive or used machetes rather than waste bullets.

Biske

What's the tempo and tone of this thing? Is it a massive downer or interesting too?

I mean its a big one, and I've only seen Episode One, but so far really interesting, but also a downer. I mean given the subject matter there isn't a lot of fun to go around. But it's not pure downer.

Chris R

Watching the broadcast ones from the PBS site, but wonder if the explicit one is a better to way to watch it. Not that I have anything that can stream that version I don't think (all I have is a PS4 and a Chromcast)

Only 40 mins into the episode so far, but I think the only stuff they've censored was like one or two fucks.

JackDT

They might be censoring some of the graphic imagery too, I would guess?

I can't believe they dropped the whole thing at once. I would have loved if they did one episode a night so I could do the waterocoler thing with other people watching.

Chris R

They might be censoring some of the graphic imagery too, I would guess?

I can't believe they dropped the whole thing at once. I would have loved if they did one episode a night so I could do the waterocoler thing with other people watching.

Haven't seen anything censored visually as of yet.

And I mean it is airing one episode a night for 10 days it looks like, Sunday - Thursday for two weeks.

EYEL1NER

What's the tempo and tone of this thing? Is it a massive downer or interesting too?
I just finished episode one and it's a massive downer for me. I mean, it is interesting and I'm learning a bunch of stuff; I didn't know as much before watching this about the French occupation and Ho Chi Minh's history as what they just went over. But it is pretty depressing to me also. Seeing how shitty the French colonialism wound up being and how big of a shitshow their war with the Viet Minh was, hearing how Ho Chi Minh had hopes that America would help the Vietnamese people find freedom and how he recited Thomas Jefferson to a large gathering (a lot of the talk about Ho Chi Minh's hopes for American assistance reminded me of reading about the naivety of Native American chiefs in Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee who believed that the US government was a friend to the Native American people), and knowing what is still to come just really bums me out. I don't think the first episode was made in a way that it is supposed to be a massive downer, it didn't seem like the goal of it was to make everyone depressed, but the subject matter is just really heavy.

I want to watch all of it and don't normally need to quit reading or watching something when horrific tragedies happen, especially when they are things I already know about and have researched in the past at length, but I'm afraid that when they start getting to things like My Lai that I may feel the need to bow out.

Dommo

Just wanted to come in and vent that once again Australia gets screwed. No clear way to view this at all. Whether it's on PBS (not available in your country), Google Play (not available in your country) or buying DVD/Blu-Ray (region locked to North America). It doesn't even seem to be a licensing conflict because I can't see any Australian channels/services that have picked it up at all. It just doesn't seem to be anywhere.

I'm immediately fascinated by the doco. I'm willing to give you money. Hell, I'd probably drop the $80+ for the Blu-Ray if it wasn't region locked. Let. Me. Watch. Your. Content.

F!ReW!Re

Just wanted to come in and vent that once again Australia gets screwed. No clear way to view this at all. Whether it's on PBS (not available in your country), Google Play (not available in your country) or buying DVD/Blu-Ray (region locked to North America). It doesn't even seem to be a licensing conflict because I can't see any Australian channels/services that have picked it up at all. It just doesn't seem to be anywhere.

I'm immediately fascinated by the doco. I'm willing to give you money. Hell, I'd probably drop the $80+ for the Blu-Ray if it wasn't region locked. Let. Me. Watch. Your. Content.

Any word on this coming to Netflix?

Seems like the only thing they're censoring is language.

This is already the best Vietnam War documentary ever.
You can watch the unedited versions on their website. Just finished up episode 2 and man this is such a great series so far. Really offers deep insight into the early start of our involvement in the region. I had no idea about a lot of this stuff and I consider myself fairly well versed in the war (from a lay persons perspective).

Also it's insane how inept and stupid diem and his brother were. Diems sister in law is a fucking monster too. Just wait till you see her "BBQ" interview. Fucking asshole

Are they going to put up the other five episodes later?
Far as I could tell the entire series is up for viewing on their website right now

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I think only the first half is uploaded so far and "Season 2" will come at some other time. This is supposed to be 10 parts and 18 hours so I guess Season 1 is just the first 5 parts.

Bowler

Why were the France so insistant on keeping them a colony? Can you imagine the den peu seige? God damn slaughter

Why were the France so insistant on keeping them a colony? Can you imagine the den peu seige? God damn slaughter
For the same reasons most nations of Western Europe obtained and held their colonies. They wanted the resources, prestige and truly believed themselves to be a genetically superior race bringing "civilization" to the "barbarian" races. I didn't even know about the French colonization of Vietnam until this documentary. I'm only up to episode 2 and it's been mind blow after mind blow. Can't imagine how much the entire series will reveal.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The intro part to each episode where they list the sponsors off is funny because of the title of the series, "Major support for the vietnam was provided by..."

Onto Ep 3.

Llyranor

Does the documentary go into details for the tactics/battles, or is it mainly politics and overall strategy? I'm in Canada :(

he seemed like a cool guy to me as well
Well, he did resort to using force to unite the country, in a war that ultimately led to the death of millions of Vietnamese. So, I guess a 'means to an end' kind of guy. However, it really does feel like he felt his hand was forced.

My family lost everything and fled the country because of the war. Growing up, the commies were the bad guys (especially when grouped up with other communist leaders like Mao or Kim). However, reading up on Ho Chi Minh, he really doesn't sound that bad to me. He just wanted freedom. I can certainly respect his ideals.

If you're interested in the Dien Bien Phu siege, Hell in a Very Small Place is a fascinating read. The name says it all.

As for why, I'll just quote Eisenhower in 1953:
Now let us assume that we lose Indochina. If Indochina goes, several things happen right away. The Malayan peninsula would be scarcely defensible- and tin and tungsten we so greatly value from that area would cease coming… All of that weakening position around there is very ominous for the United States, because finally if we lost all that, how would the free world hold the rich empire of Indonesia? So you see, somewhere along the line, this must be blocked. That is what the French are doing…

So, when the United States votes $400 million to help that war, we are not voting for a giveaway program. We are voting for the cheapest way that we can to prevent the occurrence of something that would be of the most terrible significance for the United States of America- our security, our power and ability to get certain things from the riches of South East Asia.

Chichikov

Finished the first episode, absolutely fantastic, this is peak Burns.
I will have more thoughts once I watch a few more episodes.

sflufan

Banned
Excellent first episode! I really appreciated the editing to show the commonality of the colonial French experience with the later American experience as illustrated by the episode's title "Déjà Vu".

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Really? Better than Hearts and Minds? Or Fog of War?
If the rest of the episodes are as good as the first, absolutely. The two docs you mentioned are interesting, but are like short stories compared to the epic novel that Ken Burns's take seems to be. They're good at highlighting specific aspects of the Vietnam war; but not so good at painting the big picture or providing enough detail.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Been looking forward to this for months and the first episode was great...in that fairly depressing, educative sense. Think I got more from that first hour and a half than my entire public school education with regards to the history of Vietnam. Trent and Atticus' music fits this thing so perfectly.

Chichikov

Really? Better than Hearts and Minds? Or Fog of War?
Going by the first episode, I think this will be in contention for best war documentary ever.
It is that good.

I mean it's a Ken Burns doc, I know some people aren't the biggest fan of his style, but as someone who love him as a filmmaker, I think this is the strongest and the most confident work of his that I have seen.

smisk

Saw a thread on twitter last night that was critical of it, but everyone in this thread is positive so I'll probably check it out. Sounds like the dude hadn't seen much of it.

Edit: I'm only seeing 5 episodes on the PBS site, aren't there supposed to be 10?

Chris R

I'm guessing the next five episodes will be uploaded next Sunday. The broadcast schedule is 5 this week, Sunday through Thursday, and five next week, again Sunday through Thursday.

norm9

Still need to watch it wjhen I got some free time this week.

Since you all are discussing Ho Chi Minh, does the doc discuss how immediately after WWII, Ho Chi Minh was in Paris hoping to get an audience with the American president in hopes of gaining some support for the Vietnamese against the French? Seeing as how he saw the Vietnamese as similar to colonialists against the Brits?

Saw a thread on twitter last night that was critical of it, but everyone in this thread is positive so I'll probably check it out. Sounds like the dude hadn't seen much of it.

Edit: I'm only seeing 5 episodes on the PBS site, aren't there supposed to be 10?

Quick skim of dude's criticism. Vietnam war and colonialism is not good with black and white takes. It's so complex, I doubt this documentary will be able to parse it all out.

sflufan

Banned
Since you all are discussing Ho Chi Minh, does the doc discuss how immediately after WWII, Ho Chi Minh was in Paris hoping to get an audience with the American president in hopes of gaining some support for the Vietnamese against the French? Seeing as how he saw the Vietnamese as similar to colonialists against the Brits?

The documentary immediately begins with Ho Chi Minh's attempts to meet with President Woodrow Wilson during the Paris Peace Conference in 1919.

Tonight's episode:

WMq6JX8.jpg

Episode 02. "Riding the Tiger" (1961-63)
President Kennedy inspires idealistic young Americans to serve their country and wrestles with how deeply to get involved in South Vietnam. As the increasingly autocratic Diem regime faces a growing communist insurgency and widespread Buddhist protests, a grave political crisis unfolds.
Watch the episode online @ PBS.org

I know some of you are skipping ahead and binge-watching, but I still feel the need to do this episodically.

Flux

Having watched the civil war and WW2 series on Netflix recently, I look forward to seeing this one. Got to be in the right mindset, the tone and mood can dig deep to your core.

Nista

Even watching just the first episode, it makes me want to give my dad a big hug. I know how he refused to talk about it for so long when I was a kid, just like the opening. It's probably one of the main reasons I'm not a supporter of today's US government and military actions.

He's just now starting to tell me about what happened to him in the Navy back then when I visit now and hang out with him.

Curious if there's a region free way to watch these? Can't watch it here in Canada :(

I'm from Canada and I watched episode 1 through Itunes for 7 bucks. I'm thinking of borrowing the bluray from the library, but after seeing episode 1, I think I'm gonna need some time in-between episodes just to recover emotionally.

Top Bottom