• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vita: My first non-Nintendo handheld

Little off topic, but my son collects consoles and handhelds. He wants a vita for Christmas. Which model should I get him. Thanks.

Your son has good taste.

on topic:

I can't believe I still have games to buy on Vita and its nearly 2018..

My only wish is that they would increase the selection of psone and psp games that never made it to EU.

<3 u my Vita. To me u were never dead until ur batteries finally die out by 2019...

radewagon

I couldn't agree more, OP. To be honest, I feel like the PSP also never got the respect that it deserved. Having both the Sony and Nintendo portables, I found that most often I was playing games on the PSP/Vita even though the Library of games I had was larger for the Nintendo systems.

ffvorax

Remember to grab some great games thx to the PS1 retro.

Alundra, many great JRPG... the list is huge.

I still play a lot with it.

If you liked Steins Gate visual novel, you should consider also Steins Gate 0, the Danganronpa series, and the Nonary Games (that includes all the three games: 999, VTL and TZ).

Also there are still titles coming out for it, it's not dead, if you consider first party AAA it was never alive actually... but who cares about boring AAA? :D

sidenote:
proprietary MM are the worst thing ever created. Really Sony... why? Never again please.

Ganado

Biggest problem with the Vita IMO is that most exclusives are not that good and the other games are better off on other platforms. To add, I only play games at home and I get sleepy really easy which makes "comfy bed playing" too comfy.

Little off topic, but my son collects consoles and handhelds. He wants a vita for Christmas. Which model should I get him. Thanks.

I have the newer version (2000) that came with the Borderlands 2 bundle.

Initially a lot of people gave it shit because it didn't have the fabled OLED that was the device's key signature but its lighter weight, curvier design, improved battery life, and standard microUSB port all make the 2000 a superior portable device.

Bunga

I enjoyed my Vita for a time, mostly whilst getting nostalgia hits by playing old PS1/2 titles but I was consistently disappointed by the big games that came to it.

I think the final straw was when I finally tried Persona 4 Golden, having heard it's one of the best RPG's of all time only to be met with some of the worst dungeons I've ever seen in a game. Literally floor after floor of red carpeted hallway for 90 hours? No thanks lol.

TheContact

the vita is my favorite handheld console ever (ever since I put henkaku on it). I had so much fun w/ the PSP with CFW and now I get it on a better machine with an OLED screen. I'm a huge fan of ps1 RPGs so it's like a god machine to me

OuterLimits

I couldn't agree more, OP. To be honest, I feel like the PSP also never got the respect that it deserved. Having both the Sony and Nintendo portables, I found that most often I was playing games on the PSP/Vita even though the Library of games I had was larger for the Nintendo systems.

I got the PSP super late in its life. Actually the first handheld system I ever owned and I was in my early to mid thirties at the time. Tactics ogre though made me take the plunge. Plus I discovered that the system had many other SRPGs like Jeanne D Arc, FFT, Growlanser, Wild Arms XF, Ragnarok Tactics, and quite a few others.

Honestly, had I not enjoyed the PSP, I probably would have kept ignoring future portable systems like the 3DS and Switch.

autoduelist

Biggest problem with the Vita IMO is that most exclusives are not that good and the other games are better off on other platforms. To add, I only play games at home and I get sleepy really easy which makes "comfy bed playing" too comfy.

I can't agree with this. At all.

First off, "the other games are better off on other platforms"... no way. I'd rather play any srpg, jrpg, or drpg on Vita than any other device. I'd rather play most indies on vita than Steam - in fact, I double dipped on tons of games that I already owned on Steam, from Hotline Miami to Binding of Isaac to Risk of Rain to Frozen Synapse and probably another couple dozen. They can sit in my Steam library forever, or I can absolutely love them on Vita... I'd take Vita every time. And despite having access to IOS and Android, I'd take any of those games on Vita first too, due to, well, buttons + touch.

Second, 'most exclusives are not that good'... I don't even know how to approach that. Killzone Mercenaries is amazing. Lumines. Super Stardust Delta improves on Super Stardust. Tearaway! TxK! Demon Gaze. Wipeout 2048.

And there were plenty more that were solid games, like Unit 13 or Uncharted.

Sure, some exclusives sucked... or were just 'okay'... but that's true of any device.

Panther2103

Neo Member
I liked my Vita quite a bit. I just hated the memory cards, and since I had a PSTV already, I traded my Vita and some games for a Switch. At some point down the road I may get another Vita but unfortunately right now I just had no use for it anymore.

Hardware wise is the best handheld console I ever have, love the looks, the screen, the controls and the power. Software wise is a shame because with so much potential Sony wasted this console with the lack of support.

I enjoyed playing Dragon´s Crown, Muramasa Demon Blade, Ninja Gaiden 1,2, Mortal Kombat and some others. I enjoyed the console for a while but ultimately it´s a disappointment because I had such a great time with PSP. I missed Ace Combat, a Gran Turismo (or decent racing game) and Soul Calibur.

Ganado

I can't agree with this. At all.

First off, "the other games are better off on other platforms"... no way. I'd rather play any srpg, jrpg, or drpg on Vita than any other device. I'd rather play most indies on vita than Steam - in fact, I double dipped on tons of games that I already owned on Steam, from Hotline Miami to Binding of Isaac to Risk of Rain to Frozen Synapse and probably another couple dozen. They can sit in my Steam library forever, or I can absolutely love them on Vita... I'd take Vita every time. And despite having access to IOS and Android, I'd take any of those games on Vita first too, due to, well, buttons + touch.

Second, 'most exclusives are not that good'... I don't even know how to approach that. Killzone Mercenaries is amazing. Lumines. Super Stardust Delta improves on Super Stardust. Tearaway! TxK! Demon Gaze. Wipeout 2048.

And there were plenty more that were solid games, like Unit 13 or Uncharted.

Sure, some exclusives sucked... or were just 'okay'... but that's true of any device.

So, for you, what makes the games better on the Vita? I do have a unused Vita, but I just don't see why I should play on it when I got better systems at home and as I said, I only play at home.

Not a fan of games like Killzone and Uncharted either and if I was I'd rather play the TV games and I'm pretty sure Lumines exists on other systems? I'll give you TxK but with Tempest 4k on the horizon... Tried Tearaway and Demon Gaze and they weren't much for my taste.

NDPsycho

I love rooting for the underdog, even more so when it had the ability to be more than what it was allowed to be. The Vita sits next to the Dreamcast as my favorite system. Got a 1000, 2000 and 4 PSTV's in the house (kids all have one).

There really are games for everyone. My whole family sat around and had a blast playing through P4 Golden. It's now one of our favorite games of all time. I wish we could have gotten more games of its caliber. Sony's first party was incredible, just wish it hadn't stopped. I would have loved an original GOW or Ratchet&Clank. That said, I am still constantly surprised with what we keep getting. Undertale was really cool and I have alway had a soft spot for Japanese developed titles.

goonergaz

I didn't see LBP mentioned OP - great game with good implementation of touch screen.

I also enjoyed Tiny Troopers - it's a bit like Cannon Fodder.

Can't think of others off the top of my head but it's my most played handheld ever (MGSHD, PS1 games and as you say, loads of indie games)...I don't regret paying top price at launch I got every penny from it (worth picking up the Nyko power grip)

The Vita has so many good games. I own plenty of titles on both PS4 and Vita thanks to cross-buy, and I find that I prefer to play most indie titles on the Vita for some reason.

Top Bottom