• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct |OT|

ElRenoRaven

So finally got to play some today for the WII U. I'm actually really enjoying it. The games far from perfect though.

First off the sound design is just awful. hitting almost everything with knife or hammer sounds like you're hitting concrete. Weapon impacts lack weight. Everything just sounds wrong. Voice acting is ok for the most part. However you can tell that everyone phoned in their performance. there is no life to the voice work.

Now graphics are pretty awful too. Muddy and blurry textures, even the shaping of things is just odd. Very few if any particle effects. Doors when destroyed just vanish. Characters look ok I guess. Other then that not a good looker at all. All this while having some pretty lengthy load times. This brings me to a nitpick on that. If you're going to fill the load times with dialog etc then fill it. Don't just fill half the load time with talking only for you to sit there and listen to theme for about 30 more seconds.

Now all that said I am finding some enjoyment in the game. I'm liking what very little story there is. Key point being how little story. I'm actually shocked that for a franchise that the story is the biggest thing on it's pretty much nonexistent here. At the same time the level's are linear but they do allow you room to explore. I'm liking the inventory management and survivor management. It has a very Oregon Trail vibe.

Overall I think it's a game that has a lot of potential but obviously needed a hell of a lot more development time and a bigger budget. I'd say if you can get the game for 15 to 20 bucks it should be worth that. However anything more I'd wait.

Dawg

Is the game supposed to be difficult at the beginning? I've seen youtube videos of the stupid AI, but I'm only at the hospital at the moment and when there's three zombies after me, they can kill me if I'm unlucky.

It's like, you HAVE TO hit each head 4 times, or three times if you do two normal attacks and one heavy attack (keeping the attack button pressed in for a while). That's OK for one enemy, but if there's four of them, I can't kill them one by one because they just hit me from all sides and suddenly I'm dead.

Is the game supposed to be difficult at the beginning? I've seen youtube videos of the stupid AI, but I'm only at the hospital at the moment and when there's three zombies after me, they can kill me if I'm unlucky.

It's like, you HAVE TO hit each head 4 times, or three times if you do two normal attacks and one heavy attack (keeping the attack button pressed in for a while). That's OK for one enemy, but if there's four of them, I can't kill them one by one because they just hit me from all sides and suddenly I'm dead.
Yeah you should figure if you're being attacked by more than 2 zombies at one time you're probably screwed. The best strategy is to try to sneak up and execute as many as possible to thin the herd; as for the other ones I try to get one or two to see me and chase me, then I lead them somewhere quiet and dispatch them.

Speaking of the hospital I had a really unfortunate bug the other night where I died and loaded a checkpoint, and somehow it took all my crossbow ammo away (you can start with the crossbow on your 2nd playthrough). To make matters worse there was an instantly respawning zombie right where the save loaed, every time I killed it it literally appeared right behind me. Very frustrating since my usual MO is to clear every area before I move on, and with this glitch there was always a zombie behind me. Eventually I just ran for it, and was lucky enough to get through that section.

mujun

It is definitely hard at the start but as you get used to it you can actually get really effective at avoiding and taking out zombies as long as you don't get trapped.

-Use cars (jump on top of them, you can find spots where you can't be hit. Crouch to hit the zombies) and semi trailers (which you can crouch under).
-When running through areas with a bunch of zombies jump when you are close to one, it has a high chance of avoiding their swing and negates their grab
-Use the push (RB) to give yourself time to hit one without getting hit when they are crowding.
-Spin around them while attacking, the stun from the hit will let you stealth kill them from behind.
-Don't worry, you'll get a better melee weapon soon enough. The heaviest kills in one heavy hit.

So ive beat the game on 4 times on the WiiU 4 just so i can get all the relics, posters, and squirrels. What now? The posters and squirrels dont unlock anything so there is no point in finding them.

Hmm if you've beaten the game 4 times I'd say you've probably wrung out as much as you can. Did you get all the achievements/trophies?

Edit: does WiiU have achievements?

Top Bottom