• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney Studios to Hit Industry-First $7B at Global Box Office Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean of course art house and film fest movies will be rated higher.

Most of them don't get contrasting reviews by merit of their width.

That doesn't diminish the quality of other films that score highly but are dragged down by the myriad of reviews that their wide reach gives.

I mean of course art house and film fest movies will be rated higher.

Most of them don't get contrasting reviews by merit of their width.

That doesn't diminish the quality of other films that score highly but are dragged down by the myriad of reviews that their wide reach gives.

Not to mention the difficulty of actually putting together a movie that costs hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands or tens of thousands of people to make, with a studio breathing down creators' necks, and the pressure to not only appeal to a very targeted audience but just about every country around the world. It's impossible for blockbusters to compete with indie films.

Not to mention the difficulty of actually putting together a movie that costs hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands or tens of thousands of people to make, with a studio breathing down creators' necks, and the pressure to not only appeal to a very targeted audience but just about every country around the world. It's impossible for blockbusters to compete with indie films.

Which is why it is not "lowering standards" or whatever people like to say about it when one is a great movie in context of what it is trying to achieve.

No blockbuster is going to do what Moonlight did, that doesn't mean it cannot also be a great movie with poignant moments.

They are different things. It'd be like saying a highly reviewed horror movie wasn't good enough because it lacked depth or something.

zeemumu

hqdefault.jpg

Reminded me of this

forceawakenshishe-168973.png

Glass Rebel

Baron's right in that in the long haul they won't reign supreme forever. But that response implies that somehow won't happen?

No, my response implies that they are on an upwards trajectory and there's nothing indicating that they will change their course. Of course Disney won't reign supreme forever.

And this:

is why I have no problem with Disney ruling the box office.

It's not like they're shitting out garbage. They are putting out quality film after quality film.

Yep; I'm thoroughly entertained by their stuff and have no problem with them breaking all of the box office records. Still need to take my kids to see Moana, and the wife and I would like to see Rogue One as well.

Thats what i was thinking... but who specifically cause i just wanna make sure our list is the same

The ones touting the death of the film industry, despite all evidence that it's bigger and more diversified than ever before. It's easier to make films than it's ever been, easier to get them distributed, etc. Just because you have a myopic view of what constitutes a movie, apparently (or a nostalgic view of cinema's past), doesn't mean there is a dearth of amazing movies.

Xe4

Banned
"The bubble will burst any day now!" - guy from 2006

I mean, I'm not entirely sure what you're suggesting, but in 2006 Disney's output was pretty lackluster. It was only in the 2010's they really started to dominate.

I expect Disney's formula to start slipping by 2020, although they'll still remain a major publisher, they won't be dominating like they are today.

And yes, I'm totally ready to eat crow if I'm wrong.

Apparently, if you make good movies with a lot of mass appeal, then you will make a lot of money. Who would have thought?

Good movies huh. Disney is great at putting out decent stuff at best. But man they can never seem to punch above like a 7/10 anymore. Gotta give them credit for practically locking up every demographic with their purchases tho

The worship on this forum is pretty annoying too. Brand loyalty for a freaking film studio...scust

rekameohs

Banned
2019's the hilarious one if their schedule holds. Star Wars Episode IX, Avengers 4, Toy Story 4, and Indiana Jones 5 all in the same year.

Unless they can seriously grow Star Wars's number internationally, a $2b repeat for Ep. VIII is functionally impossible. The domestic numbers TFA pulled are completely unsustainable, and it's quite possible it will be many years before they're touched again by anything. (Ep. IX's got the best chance at coming close, being the end of the trilogy, but still likely won't match it.) International numbers they have a better chance at sustaining (though each market is going to see different shifts) but aren't guaranteed to hold, and again, it's not about holding anyway, but growing significantly to offset the domestic loss. Rogue One in theory was going to help with broadening international appeal (especially China, where the franchise is fairly new and only moderately successful for a Hollywood mega-blockbuster), but it seems like that isn't happening, so growth, at least in the hundreds of millions, is highly unlikely for VIII.

And there's nooooooooo way in hell Pirates is making $900m lol. It'll be lucky to hit $600m, and probably will be this coming year's Alice.

I mean, it's kind of worrying that a single company is dominating in such a way but... they make fun movies. They may be safe and focus-tested, they may not be the pinnacle of cinema as an art form but I don't really care. I grew up reading mostly Marvel comics and they did justice to the characters I love. They translated the universe I was invested in to the big screen perfectly and I'm loving every second of it.

eso76

While this is kinda true, you look at the IPs and it's incredibly what they've done with them.

Zootopia and Moana are totally new. Jungle Book was exceptional. Finding Dory was thankfully more Toy Story 2 than Cars 2. Civil War was a great film. Doctor Strange (seriously, DOCTOR STRANGE) was unbelievably good. And Rogue One wouldn't be doing nearly as well if The Force Awakens didn't knock it out of the park.

The don't just have a lot of valuable IPS. They've leveraged those IPs well and done them serious justice.

I agree, I was joking.
They do own many IP s but they also know how to handle them and have some great talents onboard.
Plus they know how to market stuff better than anyone else.

I hate superhero movies honestly, and most blockbusters, but they still put out quality stuff in the genre.
And Zootopia was indeed great.

Unless they can seriously grow Star Wars's number internationally, a $2b repeat for Ep. VIII is functionally impossible. The domestic numbers TFA pulled are completely unsustainable, and it's quite possible it will be many years before they're touched again by anything. (Ep. IX's got the best chance at coming close, being the end of the trilogy, but still likely won't match it.

People keep underestimating the cultural phenomenon that is Star Wars.

The people will go. The question is whether they can make a 3D experience worth the increased ticket cost or not. That will be the difference between a 1.7 billion Episode 8 and a 2 billion+ Episode 8, IMO. But the people will go. It's main line Star Wars with Mark Hammil, Daisy and John, R2 and C3PO with a new direction. All it has to be is good.

People keep underestimating the cultural phenomenon that is Star Wars.

The people will go. The question is whether they can make a 3D experience worth the increased ticket cost or not. That will be the difference between a 1.7 billion Episode 8 and a 2 billion+ Episode 8, IMO. But the people will go. It's main line Star Wars with Mark Hammil, Daisy and John, R2 and C3PO with a new direction. All it has to be is good.

It's not about underestimating Star Wars. It'll be a fucking massive film for sure, almost certainly the fourth biggest of all time. It's about understanding that The Force Awakens was the kind of event that's extremely unlikely to be repeated. It drew in folks otherwise uninterested in the series due to the scale of the hype and had absurd numbers of repeat viewings (which is why "the people will go" doesn't matter even if the same number of people go, you're not going to get as many 3, 5, even 10 time viewers no matter what). It had over three decades of built up anticipating for a sequel to Return of the Jedi. It got people excited after a decade of prequel disappoints. Etc. It was a perfect storm that even under the most ideal circumstances won't be perfectly replaceable.

Ep. VIII is not going to make nearly $1b domestically like TFA did. It's be massive for sure. Maybe it'll even beat Avatar for number 2 all-time domestic. Which would still be fucking massive. But history has shown that sequels to these kinds of films, the mega-blockbusters, just don't do the same numbers, ever. Look at Jaws 2 vs. Jaws. The Lost World vs. Jurassic Park. Age of Ultron vs. Avengers. Attack of the Clones vs. Phantom Menace. Sure, each was widely considered to be markedly worse, but that's when the most important comparison comes into play: Empire Strikes Back, which don't forget, is almost universally considered far superior to its predecessor and had perhaps the single biggest film moment of all time and still couldn't touch A New Hope. And 3D (which TFA was already fairly successful with) isn't going to plaster over a gulf in ticket sales like that. It's not like they're going to suddenly get 100% 3D.

Glass Rebel

Good movies huh. Disney is great at putting out decent stuff at best. But man they can never seem to punch above like a 7/10 anymore. Gotta give them credit for practically locking up every demographic with their purchases tho

The worship on this forum is pretty annoying too. Brand loyalty for a freaking film studio...scust

Back into your Villeneuve-shaped hole.

People who like to play the Bay/Transformers card to try and dismiss Disney movies sure do love to ignore that the series is on a downward trajectory while virtually every Disney property is on the up. Except Pirates and Alice, you know, the ones that are also poorly received.

Audiences tend to reject bad movies. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but they're not common. Only bad movie this year that opened high and had strong holds was Suicide Squad.
Ep. VIII is not going to make nearly $1b domestically like TFA did. It's be massive for sure. Maybe it'll even beat Avatar for number 2 all-time domestic. Which would still be fucking massive. But history has shown that sequels to these kinds of films, the mega-blockbusters, just don't do the same numbers, ever. Look at Jaws 2 vs. Jaws. The Lost World vs. Jurassic Park. Age of Ultron vs. Avengers. Attack of the Clones vs. Phantom Menace. Sure, each was widely considered to be markedly worse, but that's when the most important comparison comes into play: Empire Strikes Back, which don't forget, is almost universally considered far superior to its predecessor and had perhaps the single biggest film moment of all time and still couldn't touch A New Hope. And 3D (which TFA was already fairly successful with) isn't going to plaster over a gulf in ticket sales like that. It's not like they're going to suddenly get 100% 3D.
Yup, this is all true. Only time a blockbuster sequel ever really increases at box office over the original is when the original was a new IP, didn't find an audience until after home release, or came off of something that was very poorly received.

Shrek 2
The Dark Knight
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Terminator 2

There aren't a whole lot of examples, but all were follow-ups to movies that audiences really enjoyed, but didn't do as well as they could have for various reasons.

Episode VIII will absolutely 100% be down from VII or I'll eat a toaster and film it.

kswiston

It's crazy how short a reign Universal's 2015 ended up having. Disney's second place finish last year was already larger than the previous record holding year for a studio, and Universal blew past that by around $1B. Now Disney 2016 will again break that record by over $500M.

Disney is a titan right now, but they'll become complacent eventually.

The one thing I dislike about Disney is that they have an obvious gap on the hard PG13 / R rated movie. They need to fill that gap. They had Miramax pumping out Pulp Fiction and No Country for Old Men back in the days. They also had touchstone bringing out fun flicks like The Rock, Armageddon, and Gone in 60 Seconds (the latter should definitely be revived given the success of Fast & Furious).

IMO they need an acquisition to fill that gap and/or revive touchstone to deliver some of those experiences.

kswiston

Here are 2016's top 10 films to date. Rogue One will finish first or second depending on legs.

Code:
						-------      Gross in millions USD     -------
Title				Studio		Worldwide	Domestic	Overseas
1) Captain America: Civil War	BV		$1,153.3	$408.1 (35.4%)	$745.2 (64.6%)
2) Finding Dory			BV		$1,027.6	$486.3 (47.3%)	$541.3 (52.7%)
3) Zootopia			BV		$1,023.8	$341.3 (33.3%)	$682.5 (66.7%)
4) The Jungle Book (2016)	BV		$966.6		$364.0 (37.7%)	$602.5 (62.3%)
5) The Secret Life of Pets	Uni.		$875.1		$368.2 (42.1%)	$506.9 (57.9%)
6) Batman v Superman		WB		$873.3		$330.4 (37.8%)	$542.9 (62.2%)
7) Deadpool			Fox		$782.6		$363.1 (46.4%)	$419.5 (53.6%)
8) Suicide Squad		WB		$745.6		$325.1 (43.6%)	$420.5 (56.4%)
9) Fantastic Beasts		WB		$718.0		$207.7 (28.9%)	$510.3 (71.1%)
10) Doctor Strange		BV		$653.0		$226.3 (34.7%)	$426.7 (65.3%)

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Makes sense. Honestly when it says Disney on it, I assume it's going to be at least good, if not great.

Lol why so salty about other people's fandom? Let people like what they like, imo. Besides, I think people are just happy that there is a studio that puts stuff out that's consistent in quality and is also aiming to bring diversity to the screen. I wouldn't call it worship, at least on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom