• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney Studios to Hit Industry-First $7B at Global Box Office Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
I wanted to give them shit for making all this cash off of mediocrity, but Zootopia was legitimately great.

What Mediocrity? Everything produced is high quality products. Some of their Marvel content may have sub par plots, but you can only do so much with comic book material and the audience they are catering to.

Garlador

Spider-Man next year AND Star Wars?

Dear lord the records they will break.

Everyone seems to be downplaying what I think is almost guaranteed to be a $1 billion dollar movie, and that's this little number.
th

Its trailer was the most watched trailer in 24 hours of any movie trailer thus far, beating even Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

... It's going to make SERIOUS bank next year, I confidently predict.

Anth0ny

Star Wars, Spidey and Beauty and the Beast are going to be massive next year. Absolutely massive.

I'm not sure the rest of next year's lineup makes up for this year's Zootopia and Dory, though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol what about Sony and other studios? have they even cracked the 2 billion mark?

I dont care for this btw. Disney is forcing Pixar to make sequels, they are making Marvel make safe as fuck comic book movies. I was hoping Dr. Strange would be different but its literally the same movie as their other origin flicks. They are now pimping out star wars movies every year which for some reason get A scores and great reviews despite being very mediocre and forgettable. Jungle book had a nice twist and some crazy good CGi, but it was mostly meh and left me wondering why it needed to be remade along with Cindrella and Beauty.

I guess they know the audience wants dumbed down shit and deliver on that every year. but looking at their portfolio this year, only Zootopia stands out as a true great movie with an original idea.

Of course, other studios are pumping out the same trash only worse so Disney is just beating others at this really forgettable movie season.

True Story. My aunt was a hoarder of coins. Her husband wanted her to gather up all the change, put it in rolls and give to the bank.

So she asked all the kids to come help her. She started dumping them in a giant box.

It had to be about 6 inches deep, but the 8 year old in me saw the money bin from ducktales. I did a belly flop on it, and let me tell you, it's nothing like Scrooge disappearing into the coins. It's like slamming your dreams into cold hard reality. There's no give. You feel all of those tiny coins come together to evoke the most pain I've felt up to that point in my life.

Ducktales was dead to me from that day on. I never paid attention to how much it was in the end, but in hindsight it had to be close to a thousand if not more. These were all pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
True Story. My aunt was a hoarder of coins. Her husband wanted her to gather up all the change, put it in rolls and give to the bank.

So she asked all the kids to come help her. She started dumping them in a giant box.

It had to be about 6 inches deep, but the 8 year old in me saw the money bin from ducktales. I did a belly flop on it, and let me tell you, it's nothing like Scrooge disappearing into the coins. It's like slamming your dreams into cold hard reality. There's no give. You feel all of those tiny coins come together to evoke the most pain I've felt up to that point in my life.

Ducktales was dead to me from that day on. I never paid attention to how much it was in the end, but in hindsight it had to be close to a thousand if not more. These were all pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters.

You should have paid more attention to the show, only Scrooge could jump in like that everyone else would just land on top.

Glass Rebel

lol what about Sony and other studios? have they even cracked the 2 billion mark?

I dont care for this btw. Disney is forcing Pixar to make sequels, they are making Marvel make safe as fuck comic book movies. I was hoping Dr. Strange would be different but its literally the same movie as their other origin flicks. They are now pimping out star wars movies every year which for some reason get A scores and great reviews despite being very mediocre and forgettable. Jungle book had a nice twist and some crazy good CGi, but it was mostly meh and left me wondering why it needed to be remade along with Cindrella and Beauty.

I guess they know the audience wants dumbed down shit and deliver on that every year. but looking at their portfolio this year, only Zootopia stands out as a true great movie with an original idea.

Of course, other studios are pumping out the same trash only worse so Disney is just beating others at this really forgettable movie season.

Peeps at Disney reading this like:
zW6dYUr.gif

Empty

all horrible boardroom directed shit. laser focused to appeal to all four quadrants and bland enough to be able to appeal to all of the emerging global film market. these huge brands with their hugely expensive films are monopolizing more and more of the money in cinema and making it near impossible for anything with any genuine vision or creativity to compete.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I dont care for this btw. Disney is forcing Pixar to make sequels, they are making Marvel make safe as fuck comic book movies

Maybe you'll get what you want, and one day Marvel will have the courage to make a movie as shitty as Suicide Squad.

Garlador

giphy.gif

At least you tried.

No Walt Disney Animation Studios movie next year? :( They have been on an incredible roll lately, easily out shining current Pixar with their output.
They had TWO this year, which was quite unusual.

But I imagine they're hard at work on "Gigantic" right now, and what I've seen thus far has been encouraging.

KonradLaw

Well, for all the gloom and doom WB had surpringly good year Thye didn;t have any high profile expensive flops. Even Tarzan made twice it's budget, where I was sure it would be the biggest flop of the year.

Of course, they're no Disney, but that's a completely different league from everybody else. I guess at least they can find solace in the fact that their wizard beat the Marvel one ;D

roytheone

giphy.gif

At least you tried.

They had TWO this year, which was quite unusual.

But I imagine they're hard at work on "Gigantic" right now, and what I've seen thus far has been encouraging.

I know, I know, it is understandable they will skip a year after having two fantastic movies this year. But fuck man, they are in such an unbelievable flow right now, I just can't wait to see what they do next :(

Bronx-Man

Banned
all horrible boardroom directed shit. laser focused to appeal to all four quadrants and bland enough to be able to appeal to all of the emerging global film market. these huge brands with their hugely expensive films are monopolizing more and more of the money in cinema and making it near impossible for anything with any genuine vision or creativity to compete.
Dude.

Moonlight is one of the most talked about movies of the year. La La Land just made serious bank despite only being in a couple hundred theaters this week. Just because lil Jimmy wants to see Spider-Man doesn't mean quality movies are going extinct anytime soon.

image.php

On topic, I'm not even bothered by this, as Disney is pumping out quality entertainment.

Disney is not seen as a competitor to other studios cuz they know they can't reach that. Even WB is like "well we're just gonna do our own thing with these DC properties."

Deserved. With Marvel and Star Wars they are going strength to strength and they fully understand the fan base and the material.

Pixar are giants on a almost yearly scale.

as a fan I'm happy

KonradLaw

Disney is not seen as a competitor to other studios cuz they know they can't reach that. Even WB is like "well we're just gonna do our own thing with these DC properties."

Yeah. WB might be able to make DC movies be Marvel-big, and they;re on their way to making Potter their Star Wars-like IP (not in size, but in that it's IP that can sustain one big movie per year), but even if everything would work out perfectly with those properties Disney still has animation and now added live action adaptations of animation. So there's no way WB could ever close that gap. It's physically impossible

Dude.

Moonlight is one of the most talked about movies of the year. La La Land just made serious bank despite only being in a couple hundred theaters this week. Just because lil Jimmy wants to see Spider-Man doesn't mean quality movies are going extinct anytime soon.

And, I would like to point out. Blockbusters have always existed and have always made the most money, because, and this is key.

They are MEANT to have mass appeal.

Just because something has mass appeal A) does not mean it is bad and B) does not mean more niche products or things with "vision" like Moonlight or La La Land or Arrival or Hunt for the Wilderpeople don't get noticed, or money, or acclaim.

Hell Disney dropped the most inventive movie with vision and subtext in a long time this year in Zootopia to mass acclaim and make a shitload of money.

This "we don't make good movies anymore" has been a complaint as long as I've been alive and, frankly, I'm tired of hearing it. It was Fox in the early 00's, it was Paramount/Universal in the 90's. It's Marvel/Disney now.

And, I would like to point out. Blockbusters have always existed and have always made the most money, because, and this is key.

They are MEANT to have mass appeal.

Just because something has mass appeal A) does not mean it is bad and B) does not mean more niche products or things with "vision" like Moonlight or La La Land or Arrival or Hunt for the Wilderpeople don't get noticed, or money, or acclaim.

Hell Disney dropped the most inventive movie with vision and subtext in a long time this year in Zootopia to mass acclaim and make a shitload of money.

This "we don't make good movies anymore" has been a complaint as long as I've been alive and, frankly, I'm tired of hearing it. It was Fox in the early 00's, it was Paramount/Universal in the 90's. It's Marvel/Disney now.
Fox made A LOT of shit in the 2000s.

Cheebo

Banned

You say this yet your avatar is the poster child of forgettable studio mandated cinematic universe mediocrity?

Garlador

we own, like, every IP ever"

While this is kinda true, you look at the IPs and it's incredibly what they've done with them.

Zootopia and Moana are totally new. Jungle Book was exceptional. Finding Dory was thankfully more Toy Story 2 than Cars 2. Civil War was a great film. Doctor Strange (seriously, DOCTOR STRANGE) was unbelievably good. And Rogue One wouldn't be doing nearly as well if The Force Awakens didn't knock it out of the park.

The don't just have a lot of valuable IPS. They've leveraged those IPs well and done them serious justice.

Empty

Dude.

while there are always a few examples those kind of films are few and far between and only really the oscar season keeps them going at this point. the situation for smaller films is so much worse than it was even in 2006 let alone 1996 or 1976. the diversity of films on our screens these days is terrible and the mid-tier original film is being squeezed out completely by existing properties.

this effect goes hand in hand with disney's dominance of these huge budget franchise films. there's always been blockbusters, like another gaffer said, but there's not been such dominance by these films before.

i personally find it baffling that disney's record takes are being treated with fawning adulation here as if it's something to be cheered or impressed by. it's like if someone posted a thread highlighting exxon mobil's huge 2016 profits and everyone remarked at how brilliant their slate of oil refineries are and acted like their business had zero impact on climate change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom