• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wheel of Time - Official Trailer | Prime Video

Spyxos

Gold Member
The Great Hunt begins September 1, but your hunt begins now. Watch the Official Trailer for #TheWheelOfTime season 2

About The Wheel of Time: The lives of five young villagers change forever when a strange and powerful woman arrives, claiming one of them is the child of an ancient prophecy with the power to tip the balance between Light and Dark forever. They must choose whether to trust this stranger – and each other – with the fate of the world before the Dark One breaks out of His prison, and the Last Battle begins.

I haven't read the books, but it can only get better than the lame first season.

Last edited:

T.v

I haven't read the books, but it can only get better than the lame first season
I am willing to bet it will be worse. And I'm in for the trainwreck it'll be. The first season was an actual insult to the source material.

G-Bus

Banned
I forgot about this. Watched the first episode or two and just never went back..

Might give it another go to remind myself why I stopped watching it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
At least there is like...one? redhead in it. GLM

Did they keep the Matt actor or recast? IIRC some vaccine shenanigans led him to get written out towards the end of S1 but that stuff seems quaint now. I'm not optimistic but if they can find the right about of sleazy cheese to balance out the overwrought drama it might work. What this show really needs is a Spartacus level of nudity, violence, and blistering pace. I know it's not what Jordan would envision but just take those 14 door stoppers, rip out all the braid clutching tween shit and condense it down to 2-3 seasons of balls (literally) to the wall Rand on a rampage ass kicking, fucking, and fighting while these other characters desperately try to slow him down or get on board.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I thought the first season was good, till the end, which was just awful.

This one looks fine to me as it is clearly leaning into Rand more finally. Hopefully, they clean up story missteps

Did they keep the Matt actor or recast? IIRC some vaccine shenanigans led him to get written out towards the end of S1 but that stuff seems quaint now. I'm not optimistic but if they can find the right about of sleazy cheese to balance out the overwrought drama it might work. What this show really needs is a Spartacus level of nudity, violence, and blistering pace. I know it's not what Jordan would envision but just take those 14 door stoppers, rip out all the braid clutching tween shit and condense it down to 2-3 seasons of balls (literally) to the wall Rand on a rampage ass kicking, fucking, and fighting while these other characters desperately try to slow him down or get on board.

I agree. The books, which started off as a decent fantasy yarn, became a bloated ridiculous mess by the time the series was even halfway through. If most writers need an editor, Jordan needs an army of them.

There is no way in hell this series will ever make it to completion, I'm surprised the second season was even greenlit after the crap response to the first one.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I agree. The books, which started off as a decent fantasy yarn, became a bloated ridiculous mess by the time the series was even halfway through. If most writers need an editor, Jordan needs an army of them.

There is no way in hell this series will ever make it to completion, I'm surprised the second season was even greenlit after the crap response to the first one.

First season, from what I remember, got pretty good view ratings.

Batiman

Banned
I’m a book fan and I was disappointed with the first season. Matt was the only great actor there and I think the actor got replaced? I’d like to think it can still be salvaged but I doubt it. Will still watch though. The great hunt was one of my favourites in the series.

Last edited:

Vlodril

They butchered the books in the first season unfortunately. I am ok with the actors but i don't understand why hollywood keeps getting existing ip's and then changes them beyond recognition. Either do something very faithful or make something new..

Griffon

I noped the fuck out on the first episode of S1.

Just keep to the books and forget this ever existed.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I didn't watch this show, i had never read the books and according to the reviews i watched, it was written and produced like all the new so called fantasy shows, The Witcher, Rings of Power etc, i just can't take these modern ones seriously.

Spaceman292

Banned

This sounds like Dennis's movie pitch in Always Sunny. Fighting, full penetrative sex. Fighting, penetration, fighting, penetration, fighting, penetration. And then after about twelve episodes it just sort of... ends.

I completely agree with you btw

Last edited:

Adeptus

"This the show that had the diverse super rural village right?"

Which is comical because in books Two Rivers is so isolated from the rest of the world that its inhabitants are not even aware that they are part pf the bigger kingdom. And important point of the plot is fact that they are all descendants of the same ancient nation.
Oh, and world of the WoT is diverse. But it is diverse in reasonable way. There are plenty nations and ethnic groups (including black-skinned), each with their own culture. And protagonists see this diverse world when they are travelling across it.
But no, instead of it each community must be diverse multi-culti melting pot. Every place in the world (even fictional one) must look like XXI century New York, or it is racism.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Magic is cool and all. But are the characters interesting.
M
A
G
I
C!!!!!!

MAGIC! never mind those characters that aren't really faithful MAGIC to the books nor make much sense even within MAGIC their own show world because we didn't really think MAGIC it through when it came time to casting and now MAGIC we realize that no one has any idea who or what anyone is so we either confuse folks MAGIC or have to constantly deliver exposition M A G I C

Have I mentioned there is magic in the show?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
M
A
G
I
C!!!!!!

MAGIC! never mind those characters that aren't really faithful MAGIC to the books nor make much sense even within MAGIC their own show world because we didn't really think MAGIC it through when it came time to casting and now MAGIC we realize that no one has any idea who or what anyone is so we either confuse folks MAGIC or have to constantly deliver exposition M A G I C

Have I mentioned there is magic in the show?
I appreciate the effort of this post and I hope we can continue to share our love for MAGIC! neverminded the plot just show me whirly shiny things.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I appreciate the effort of this post and I hope we can continue to share our love for MAGIC! neverminded the plot just show me whirly shiny things.
To be fair to the show, the books are really about 5 narratives running in parallel and would be a BEAST to adapt by anyone. So I'm hoping the showrunner doesn't fall into the trap of trying to service them all, versus just focusing on Rand and warping everything around him, instead of trying the GOT thing of multi-season storylines with characters that NEVER meet. The base material isn't that good, GOT got away with it because the ASOIAF source was EXCEPTIONAL. WoT is no where near that level by any stretch.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
To be fair to the show, the books are really about 5 narratives running in parallel and would be a BEAST to adapt by anyone. So I'm hoping the showrunner doesn't fall into the trap of trying to service them all, versus just focusing on Rand and warping everything around him, instead of trying the GOT thing of multi-season storylines with characters that NEVER meet. The base material isn't that good, GOT got away with it because the ASOIAF source was EXCEPTIONAL. WoT is no where near that level by any stretch.
Never read the books. But my brother told me the show is completely off the rails compared to the books.

T.v

WoT is much better than anything GRRM could hope to write.

this season apparently consolidates books two and three into one season. They can’t possibly hope to service every character. They also can’t hope to make it into a coherent plot but that’s a different matter. What will be interesting is if Rand’s actor can pull off slowly going insane. Book three is where his descent into madness and his acceptance of what he is really starts.

jason10mm

Gold Member
WoT is much better than anything GRRM could hope to write.
ObPUMlq.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I didn't think much of season one. This doesn't look any better. Actually looks worse than Netflix's Witcher series.

No from me.

Tams

The books are... mostly mediocre.

But that sounds ripe for a streaming platform. They're after as many shows as they can get, right?

Have each narrative as it's own show. 'WoT: [narrative name].' kind of like Marvel. And have them crossover where appropriate. When they properly join together, just drop the minor one or start a new sub show.

You could even use the same damn assets, and in more cases than usual, actors and actresses.

jason10mm

Gold Member

But that sounds ripe for a streaming platform. They're after as many shows as they can get, right?

Have each narrative as it's own show. 'WoT: [narrative name].' kind of like Marvel. And have them crossover where appropriate. When they properly join together, just drop the minor one or start a new sub show.

You could even use the same damn assets, and in more cases than usual, actors and actresses.
Thats not a bad idea. WoT had that first book or so with everyone together, then they split and they could have done what you suggested (and then seen which series was more popular....let me take a guess.....). But I think the way TV shows are usually structured would have made this prohibitively expensive (licensing, showrunner fees, having actors guest starring on other shows, and whatnot) versus just doing the same base amount of work (filming different locations, writing all the various bits) all on one show. And really, unless it's gonna be produced by Playboy would anyone really watch an Aes Sedai only show? Every attempt at something like that fails, over and over. Narratively the ENTIRE thing revolves around Rand as he is a literal nuclear bomb strutting around. I personally feel the soap elements Jordan used to stretch those books out, while liked by some of the readers, are a poison trap just waiting in the wings for a showrunner to foolishly try to incorporate. The ancillary roles (i.e. everyone non-Rand) need to be condensed, hammered into sharp tools for specific purposes, and the core plot needs to have the fat ruthlessly cut away from it until it is a skeleton held together by muscle and sinew. No other way for this show to maintain ANY momentum as it doesn't really have much depth or surprise reveals to build towards unless it totally goes off book into pulp romance and has Rand work his way through every female (and probably male) character in an eternal loop like so many shows before that drift from the plot. This series really should be structured like a war film with the tactical and strategic picture in constant focus and the characters subordinate to that goal.

Adeptus

I think that they have some very good ideas e.g. some aspects of worldbuilding (and I am quite interested in worlbuilding) - I loved e.g. revelations about Aiels. But there are many problems with execution. Characters are unsympathetic, very often behave obviously stupid and narrator is obsessed with describing their clothes. But still - have some fun reading and finished the whole series.

Artoris

Gold Member
I think that they have some very good ideas e.g. some aspects of worldbuilding (and I am quite interested in worlbuilding) - I loved e.g. revelations about Aiels. But there are many problems with execution. Characters are unsympathetic, very often behave obviously stupid and narrator is obsessed with describing their clothes. But still - have some fun reading and finished the whole series.
"good ideas e.g. some aspects of worldbuilding" I think he took that too much from Tolkien, but he had some good ideas not so much in the following books though

Durien

So my wife and I made it through the 1st season. (I read up to book 8 or 9, she hasn't read any). Start season 2 tonight watch two episodes. I think we are done. My wife is bored (having just watched One Piece which we both liked) this is a huge genre change with too many characters, most she has forgotten. I think I'm out too. I just can't get into this like I did the books although I think around book 8 it started becoming a chore to read. (I really liked books 5 and 6). I think I wanted the show to tell the story that I read, not it's interpretation, and for that reason, I'm out. ( to quote Shark Tank)

Top Bottom