• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The White House has found ways to end protection for Dreamers while shielding Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

While President Trump wavered Thursday on whether he will stop shielding from deportation people who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children, his aides have identified at least two ways to quietly end their protections without his fingerprints.

An executive order has already been drafted to end the program, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, that allows hundreds of thousands of the immigrants to live and work openly in the U.S. Trump used that legal mechanism to great fanfare to expand deportation authority and restrict entry to the U.S.

But with the president showing less willingness to sign such an order, advisors have begun to explore alternatives. Their hunt suggests that the White House is hesitant to publicly target a well-organized group of immigrants who have prominent public backing, including from President Obama, and to whom Trump has shown sympathy.

Indeed, immigration agents’ arrest last week of a 23-year-old in Washington state who was in the program immediately caused an outcry.

But senior Trump aides are holding fast to their goal of strengthening immigration enforcement, the president’s chief campaign promise. They have examined at least two options that would not directly involve Trump, according to two immigration policy advisors to the White House: a lawsuit brought by states, and new legal guidance that details who is a priority for deportation.

Under that option, Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions, a vocal critic of deportation relief as a senator, would direct Department of Justice lawyers to review the program, which issues two-year work permits to people who qualify and keeps them from being categorized as deportation priorities.

If the Justice Department determines that DACA is not legal or is no longer a responsible use of prosecutorial discretion, the Department of Homeland Security would be instructed to stop awarding and renewing work permits.

Another possible path involves the courts. A handful of governors are considering a challenge patterned on the 2014 lawsuit filed by several conservative state officials against the Obama administration’s expansion of deportation protections. If they sue, Sessions could instruct his lawyers not to defend the program in court, exposing it to indefinite suspension by a federal judge.

Deportation relief could also be ended “the same way it was begun,” said Kris Kobach, the Kansas secretary of state and the architect of multiple state and local laws aimed at immigrants in the U.S. illegally. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly could simply instruct U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to stop issuing work permits, much as Obama’s first secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, created DACA with a memo in 2012.

The White House is examining a range of options, an official said Thursday, emphasizing that no final determination has been made.

But some of Trump’s core supporters fear that the turmoil within the White House and the severe blowback from his travel bans are weakening the president’s resolve. His wobbling on the Dreamers, along with Republicans’ stalled attempt to repeal the Affordable Care Act, stand out as parts of Trump’s platform where pragmatic voices in the West Wing have quashed the rough-and-tumble impulses of nationalists Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller.

Nevertheless, the executive order to stop the renewal of work permits, distributed around the West Wing three days after inauguration by Trump’s top domestic policy advisor, Andrew Bremberg, sits unsigned.

And as it does, work permits are still being issued.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-daca-20170216-story.html

Rayis

Evil fucking bullshit, not even Trump wants to cross that line, but his disgusting white supremacist cabinet with no morals wants to.

Horp

It's a matter of national security. Unless you are white, preferably male, with an american-sounding name, straight and vote republican... you are a potential threat.

If you disagree with me, I have to ask you; what about all the good posts I've written? And why all the hatred. The attacks I recieve from mainstream gaf is terrible. Sad!

Iolo

Um, it's Trump's administration. If Justice or DHS does something, then his fingerprints are on it by definition. If he doesn't know about it then his subordinates have gone rogue which is just as bad.

If they go through with this, we can no longer hold our government accountable to their promises. It is complete insanity to even comprehend, but it's going to happen.

That is exactly what DACA is, it is the government's word that these people will remain protected from action. Their word is no longer worth anything.

Welp I guess I should start selling all my shit. Thanks to all those who voted for this monster. I hope by me leaving your country will be become a better place. Not sure what I did to make it so bad while I've been here, but w/e I think I'm kinda done.

Welp I guess I should start selling all my shit. Thanks to all those who voted for this monster. I hope by me leaving your country will be become a better place. Not sure what I did to make it so bad while I've been here, but w/e I think I'm kinda done.

USA is racist first. Whites love blaming others for their failures. Sorry that innocent, hard-working people have to go through this.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Evil fucking bullshit, not even Trump wants to cross that line, but his disgusting white supremacist cabinet with no morals wants to.
i actually hope something like that brings about his downfall, like even his dumb orange ass thinks 'maybe not' but then his shit team railroads him and he does it and then the whole thing comes crashing down.

smurfx

get some go again
But trump today said he had a great heart regarding dreamers...this doesn't make sense.
trump loves feeding both sides bullshit. he always intended on ending DACA because obama created it. don't believe this hesitation bullshit at all. he is trying to shield himself from fallout by saying he didn't want to do it and put it on his cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom