• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U is criminally underrated - it's one of the best consoles ever made

The problem with the truth about the Wii U is that it also shines a light on things that people would rather not discuss beyond core gaming philosophies. In a vacuum, it may have had some of the best games ever crafted. But when one steps outside the vacuum and looks at its marketing, it is also one of the greatest marketing disasters and falls from grace of any product cycle in the industry's history.

Septic360

Banned
nick-cage-lol.gif

bayman13

Neo Member
Not going to argue whether you are right or wrong overall but Virtual Console is a garbage point. You can't just argue that every piece of Nintendo hardware going forward is good because it plays old games.

Griss

I absolutely love the Wii U, and it's one of my favourite consoles ever for sure. That said it was too flawed to be considered one of the true GOATs, imo.

Pros:
-One of the best slates of first party Nintendo games ever, and now in HD
-Off-TV play, which is amazing with Virtual Console games
-My favourite console OS ever
-Great backwards compatibility

Cons:
-Asymmetric gameplay and most gamepad 'revolutionary' ideas were total failures
-Considerably weaker than the competition
-Ridiculously poor 3rd party support
-Too expensive for the hardware power and target audience

For me, as I have a PS4, the last point doesn't bother me. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be counted against it. Too many cons there for it to be a true GOAT.

I found off-tv play to be a completely worthless feature, and the console being so woefully underpowered a constant annoyance. Add in that the only games I ended up caring about were Smash, bayonetta, and MK8 made the game collection not do much for me. BotW disappointed me a good bit but I at least still enjoyed that overall in spite of the constant 20 FPS.

Overall one of the worst consoles I've ever owned, but with a few really standout games.

Tagg9

The hardware itself was absolutely abysmal. By this, I mean that the quality of the GamePad was poor (Fisher-Price design, low resolution screen), and the actual GPU/CPU specs were way too low for a console released in 2013.

I agree that there are some great games for WiiU (I probably own 20 titles) but these are, without exception, all Nintendo games. It takes more than first party games to be a great console.

This is a BIG stretch. The highs were REALLY high, but they were few and far between. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD are remakes. BotW is not an exclusive and arguably better on the Switch. Including Star Fox Zero and Hyrule Warriors on your list is reaching.

Don't get me wrong, Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Maker are astounding games. But the Wii U overall just didn't have what it takes. I hope the Switch can break the cycle.

Ahasverus

How many games on the Dreamcast? Yet it's considered one of the best consoles ever. Not suggesting Wii U is as good as Dreamcast, just that the number of games shouldn't be determinative. The Wii had a lot more games than the Wii U, but tons were shovelware.
Is it really? It was the home of 5 great games but it doesn't hold a candle to its own generation let alone all others.

Ms.Galaxy

I agree, it's the best console ever made.... for internet browsing.

But seriously, it's medicore at best and while Nintendo's output was good, I never really cared to play anything repeatably outside of Smash, Hyrule Warriors, and Donkey Kong. I just spent most of my time using the browser, and that accounts for maybe 70% of my total time on the Wii U.

Which, in fairness, is basically every Nintendo console post SNES.

This

OP lists almost every WiiU game worth playing in their post. It had some terrific games but its library was fucking laughable compared to almost any other recent major console.

This. The mental gymnastics Nintendo fans jump through for this system is impressive. "Actually, having fewer good things is better than more good things." Sounds legit.

Assumption junction here... I would hardly consider myself a Nintendo fan more than any other gamer. The Wii U was/is the first Nintendo console I've owned since N64.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
As a Dreamcast kid, I feel like you have to wait about 5 years or so before you make this thread.

For real though, the $200 refurb WiiU deal that was available for a good stretch of its lifetime was pretty freaking killer for anyone with a passing interest in Nintendo software. Reminds me of when I got a GameCube for $99 and was shocked at all the awesomeness I was missing out on.

Agreed it has a lot of great games. More than enough to justify the price unless you have pretty narrow interests in games (nothing wrong with people that do).

But the hardware itself is awful. Very under-powered for when it was released, and the game-pad is "baby's first tablet" quality.

As someone who would argue this for the Gamecube, I absolutely would not for the Wii U. It had a handful of worthwhile first party games and that was about it, its period of support from Nintendo was very disappointing, the VC and general 3rd party support was a disaster and the gamepad hardware was cumbersome and annoying.
At least it had Splatoon.

DekuLink

It has a bunch of amazing game, yes.

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon, Pikmin 3 and Starfox Zero are all first party games though.

bachikarn

This is literally the only Nintendo console I skipped. The only other piece of Nintendo hardware I never owned was the virtual boy.

phanphare

Banned
it has some of the strongest software of any console ever so from that angle I can see the argument and I definitely agree there

it's one of my favorite consoles of all time but I don't think I could expand and say it's one of the best ever made

Nintendo was really nailing it with their games though. I honestly think the Wii U era was the strongest era for their games as far as their 3D consoles go.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's definitely one of my favorites, that's for sure. I hooked mine back up last night after being in storage for a few months due to a move and it's gonna be nice to dip into my Wii U backlog while the Switch library is fleshed out.

it has some of the strongest software of any console ever so from that angle I can see the argument and I definitely agree there

it's one of my favorite consoles of all time but I don't think I could expand and say it's one of the best ever made

Nintendo was really nailing it with their games though. I honestly think the Wii U era was the strongest era for their games as far as their 3D consoles go.

Agreed!

I absolutely love the Wii U, and it's one of my favourite consoles ever for sure. That said it was too flawed to be considered one of the true GOATs, imo.

Pros:
-One of the best slates of first party Nintendo games ever, and now in HD
-Off-TV play, which is amazing with Virtual Console games
-My favourite console OS ever
-Great backwards compatibility

Cons:
-Asymmetric gameplay and most gamepad 'revolutionary' ideas were total failures
-Considerably weaker than the competition
-Ridiculously poor 3rd party support
-Too expensive for the hardware power and target audience

For me, as I have a PS4, the last point doesn't bother me. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be counted against it. Too many cons there for it to be a true GOAT.

I agree with all points. I am a Sony Pony, but I find myself loving/appreciating the Wii U more every day.

I say to myself "Man, I never played "Nintendo Must-Play Title" and then I look and its on Wii or Virtual Console.

Next thing I know I'm playing it on the gamepad while also messing around on my gaming PC or PS4.

I think we can all agree that it is at least the best zelda console ever

All of the 80s-90s games on the VC

Remakes of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess

Skyward Sword via BC

Breath of the Wild

Sanke__

It is definitely one of the worst consoles ever but just happens to have some of the best games ever

And whether you judge it on hardware or just games, the GameCube is still better

Geg

I dunno about the console itself but it has some amazing games on it. It honestly brought me back into gaming after a slump from like 2010-2013 of buying only one, maybe two games a year.

Griss

Thinking about it, the fact that games never really used the gamepad in all of the revolutionary ways that Nintendo envisaged in the reveal and the fact that asymmetric gameplay never took off at all will really be the final story of the Wii U.

It had great games, but the core idea of it - the reason it was overpriced and underpowered - that idea was ultimately a failure, and therefore so was the machine.

It definitely is underrated.

I. Splatoon is one of the best games ever made.
II. The amount of multi-player titles available for Wii U to play with friends is overwhelming. It's easily the best party system for couch gaming this generation.
III. Wii U as a product reminds me of the bulky DS design. I would have loved to have seen a Wii U slim edition. Perhaps there is a scrapped prototype document floating around somewhere...

Tain

It has a great lineup of original games given its short life. I'd probably put its library above the N64 and Wii, at least, and probably over the Xbox One as well. As of a year ago I would have put it above the PS4, but obviously we've been seeing some big PS4 releases lately.

Jigorath

Banned
It's an awful console.

It had some great games but they were so few and far in between during its lifespan. The droughts for the system were insane.

The motion control gimmick of the Wii was exciting in 2006, and I guess I was expecting something just as innovative and exciting from the Wii U, but after the Nintendoland presentation myself and seemingly millions of other potential Wii U owners weren't that impressed with the second screen gimmick like we were with motion control. I still bought the Wii U at launch but I had 10x more fun with Wii Sports in 2006 than Nintendoland in 2012. So the console just didn't have momentum out of the gate for me like the Wii did.

Harp

Hell no! Lol it's a system that came out 6 years after 360 with worse hardware. And received less the 50 games made for it.

Obviously, any such assessment is going to be subjective, but my 5 year old would agree with you. As someone who also has a PC, and often can only play games that are appropriate for young kids to observe, I can agree with you as well. For a family friendly experience, with a focus on couch co-op, the Wii U was pretty much unopposed this generation. That said, there were some big holes in the game library (Metriod and 3d Mario), the price never became acceptable, and the controller situation (so many types), are pretty big detractors. If you can accept its limitations and it fits your lifestyle, then sure, it was pretty great. The problem is, there are not that many people that fall into this camp.

kubev

Wii U is great in terms of its available games, but its hardware and OS are among the worst when you consider when it launched. Also, it's still baffling to me that a company with a mascot who wears a lot of red couldn't manage to implement a video compression scheme that handled reds more adequately on the GamePad. Still, I love my Wii U for Super Mario Maker, but that's about the only reason that I have for keeping my Wii U. I hope Nintendo announces a Mario Maker game for Switch.

It arguably had a better library than the PS4 and XB1 the first two years when launches are aligned, truly some great games, let alone full BC, also off-TV play has always been a welcome feature, that the Switch has now fully fleshed out

Based purely on the games, sure valid opinion. If you factor in the archaic online and account systems as well as the myriad of other problems like overall lack of games and crappy storage solution then it defintely becomes less attractive

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
How many games on the Dreamcast? Yet it's considered one of the best consoles ever. Not suggesting Wii U is as good as Dreamcast, just that the number of games shouldn't be determinative. The Wii had a lot more games than the Wii U, but tons were shovelware.

That actually reminds me that I need to start selling off my Dreamcast stuff soon. My HDTV only has Composite, Component, and HDMI so that cuts off two of the three decent Dreamcast connections meaning I'd have to operate it off of component...and no thank you.

Thinking about it, the fact that games never really used the gamepad in all of the revolutionary ways that Nintendo envisaged in the reveal and the fact that asymmetric gameplay never took off at all will really be the final story of the Wii U.

It had great games, but the core idea of it - the reason it was overpriced and underpowered - that idea was ultimately a failure, and therefore so was the machine.

I remember that the gamepad was initially going to be a screen only, with no touch capabilities. They wanted to push off-tv play more than any other feature of the screen, but then decided at the last moment before E3 2011 to put in touch screen capabilities.

I think this shows their complete lack of focus and clarity about what made the console special. And not only that, it was a complete 180 in features from the Wii, and for no discernible reason. It really feels like they wanted to make the Switch from the get-go but the technology just wasn't there.

I loved my Wii U though, specifically for off-tv play and its great Nintendo library. But I like the Switch as a concept so much more, for a plethora of reasons.

Jolkien

By far the best console.... at collecting dust.

- Terrible bareboned UI that run likes it's in molasse, I think the only system I exeperienced that could potentially be slower was my original 3DS
- Large clunky controller that lost it's charge even while off way too quickly
- Superb but far in between games.

The vast majority of my memories of this system will be negatives.

Top Bottom