• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redford

aka Cabbie
One feature of the system that I am looking forward to?

When I log-on, all of NintendoGAF's Miis will be there on my TV screen, waiting to greet me. That's going to be awesome!

Yep. It's the first time we'll be able to really have that on-console community aspect. Going to be super fun.

Hope they let us do custom avatars. Or at least something other than Mii mugshots...

As some of you may know, I planned to post a video about E3 News each day of this week. I almost missed my deadline, but I made my first episode, which is about my hype leading up to the conference and my afterthoughts youtube news style. I sadly did not record my direct reaction like some of you wanted. *looks at cabbie* but this is manly because I have nowhere good to set the camera and don't have the megabytes to record that much. I still might try to record my reactions at the actual conference but probably not.

The video can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVf5r2h55rc

While I plan to post a video of E3 News each day, the next Nintendo one, relating to the conference, will be on Wednesday. So look forward to it!

And yes, I am self aware at how bad my videos are.

I hope you didn't need to be told that like a certain other video :p

Hey would anyone be interested in divvying up sections of the ND video to produce a transscript? (I'm assuming an official one isn't available).

Six of us could take 5 minutes each.

I'll take a portion of it.

EDIT: Do we really need to transcribe the cheesy banter in the commercial or just the new details?

When I say choice, I mean in terms of what their games let you do with them. Phantom Hourglass? Had to use the stylus. Could it have been played with the DPad if they added it? Yes. Starfox DS? Same thing. The tools are there, but Nintendo felt the stylus should be the only option for whatever reason.

Super Mario Galaxy? Wii Nunchuk combo is fine, but the ability to use their classic controller or Gamecube would have been nice. Although the thing this shows is that before launch, they have a new foundation setup with it which is nicer then finding about other things later.
If all their games turn out like Mario Kart / Brawl it'd be great.

Aye, but I was saying that your comment was that Nintendo was finally learning to offer a choice, but Microsoft and Sony weren't offering any more choice than Nintendo was. Want to play Uncharted? Sixth-gen controller. Halo 3? Sixth-gen controller. LittleBitPlanet? Sixth-gen controller. You said "Nintendo is finally getting that people don't like to be forced with one method", but to whom exactly are you comparing them?

Yep. It's the first time we'll be able to really have that on-console community aspect. Going to be super fun.

Hope they let us do custom avatars. Or at least something other than Mii mugshots...

I hope so too.

Also, that reminds me. I'm pretty disappointed that the Mii's look exactly the same so far. I expected that they would at least look a little smoother. But nope, same low poly Miis we've always had.

I can take everything before the promo video.

Its more of a conceptual video than a promotional one. to get your head around the social aspects of the controller and system. A bit over the top though but if they are trying to reach to kids as well then they better do it this way. Unfortunate for people like us.

What are the chances that Nintendo will still tease the 3D Mario Wii U game? Something like a short 1 minute video to show the concept behind it.

Okay, how do you spell the Japanese word he says near the beginning that translates to "Creating something unique". Don't want to butcher the spelling of it.

Dr.Hadji

Aye, but I was saying that your comment was that Nintendo was finally learning to offer a choice, but Microsoft and Sony weren't offering any more choice than Nintendo was. Want to play Uncharted? Sixth-gen controller. Halo 3? Sixth-gen controller. LittleBitPlanet? Sixth-gen controller. You said "Nintendo is finally getting that people don't like to be forced with one method", but to whom exactly are you comparing them?

I would prefer to play Halo Reach with pointer controls. Can't do it. I'm not great to duel analog. But I don't go into every Halo thread to stink it up. This whole choice argument is just a nice way to saying "give me what I want".

Hey guys, if you live in New York City, there is going to be a E3 Live Streaming Party at Nintendo World Store for Nintendo's Conference this Tuesday. StreetPass NYC and Operation Bluewave will be teaming up with Nintendo World Store for this event, which includes tons of StreetPass Tags, Tournaments and prizes, free food, and Q&A by our E3 Correspondent, Isaiah Triforce Johnson. We hope your bodies are ready for this!

Located on 10 Rockefeller Plaza (Between 5th and 6th Avenues)
New York, NY 10020
Event starts at 9 am and ends at 6 pm this Tuesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyPq22JR7VU

Yeah the Miiverse on 3DS/PC/Mobile is at a later date

This is the main thing that irritates me about nintendo and their online structuring. Everything is always at a later date, even before it releases. Damn, use the money you have and will make back in copious amounts to have it at launch. We had to wait for folders even :^/

Yeah the Miiverse on 3DS/PC/Mobile is at a later date

hope its not a very long delay it seems like a very good idea to get it up for all platforms to share

I cannot wait to see PSVita using it since he did say anything that has a web browser
what a strange and sneaky way to pull people back to your platform

Android/iOS -> Miiverse

SMH this is insane

Hey guys, if you live in New York City, there is going to be a E3 Live Streaming Party at Nintendo World Store for Nintendo's Conference this Tuesday. StreetPass NYC and Operation Bluewave will be teaming up with Nintendo World Store for this event, which includes tons of StreetPass Tags, Tournaments and prizes, free food, and Q&A by our E3 Correspondent, Isaiah Triforce Johnson. We hope your bodies are ready for this!

Located on 10 Rockefeller Plaza (Between 5th and 6th Avenues)
New York, NY 10020
Event starts at 9 am and ends at 6 pm this Tuesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyPq22JR7VU

I could go to this but staying home and relaxing to read NEOGAF reaction is not something I would want to miss

BlackJace

Man what an eventful day.
I don't think the Pro controller is finalized. For some reason it looks very "shopped" like it was put together before the show begun. Hopefully it can quell the "face buttons below right stick" complaint.

squid

Hmm, I hope the conference stream works better on ios than the Nintendo Direct did. It was lagging, losing visuals, and just generally not working well. Don't want that to happen for the big conference!

I really should be cutting struts for my geodesic dome right now, but I never claimed to be particularly wise.

bad actors said:
Todd: Whoa, oh no, zombies. Zombies are after me. Oh, g-- oh. Oh you won't think I'm so tasty after this bullet sandwich!

*gunfire and grunts*

Todd: *laugh* Okay… Alright, zombie boss, you're going down. Let's see you try breaking down this door! Ohh! Why did I think that would work? I'm out of bullets? Uh, my bear trap is useless, my pushes are ineffectual. No, no, no! Ohhh, man, he got me again!

Todd: Uh! If I don't beat this zombie boss, I'm gonna end up talking to myself like a crazy person, right Non-specific Action figure?

Non-specific Action Figure: [blank stare]

GamePad: *bloink*

Todd: Hm? *looks at GamePad* "What is my mood?" Is complete despair an option? [typing] "S-O-S Any clue how to beat the scary zombie that breaks down doors", POST

Todd: Alright, maybe these comments by peeps in the same situation as me will help.

Todd: [reading]"Me too, what do I do", "boo hoo", "I almost lost three survivors to that monster", "I thought I almost had a heart attack when he burst in"… guess I'm not alone after all.

Non-specific Action Figure: [blank stare]

Todd: You know what I mean.

Walter: Todd, Todd, Todd.

*phone rings*

Todd: This is Todd, the non-killing zombie killer.

Warren: Knock knock, who's there, a polite zombie who doesn't just break down doors when he wants to come in. In fact he calls first! I'm kidding, it's me Warren. *laughs*

Todd: Yeah, yeah, I take it you saw my post

Warren: Little bit, you know I feel for you, Todd. That zombie boss is a pain in the capital B. Don't worry, I'll be over soon to help you beat those games as per usual

Todd: Um actually I think my buddy OctoG123 has it figured out. Guess I have all the help I need here, Warren

Warren: So… you don't need me anymore?

Todd: Uh, nope, see ya! *hangs up*

Warren: I'm so sad. [at nearby girl(?)] Excuse me, miss! Miss, I-I-I I noticed you're drinking coffee also. Coffee drinkers have a lot in common.

Todd: Alright, OctoG123, let's see if your plan works. "Your scanner reveals pockets of antibodies locate on the zombie's swollen glands"… gross. Let's do this. Back to game. Alright, come on come one come one, swollen glands, what am I even looking for… Get- no, get away!

*crunching sounds*

Todd: I'm gonna call OctoG123 and get to the bottom of this!

*puts GamePad below TV and initiates video call to OctoG123*

Todd: okay okay come on come on come on pick up

OctoG123: Todd, my man, how's the zombie killing business.

Todd: Lousy, OctoG123

OctoG123: Call me grandpa.

Todd: That makes me feel uncomfortable

OctoG123: Says the guy who talks to an action figure?

Todd: Um, you said on Wii U that I should use my scanner to locate the antibodies on the zombie's swollen glands, but I didn't see anything

OctoG123: Have you upgraded your scanner ding-dong

Todd: Noooo, I didn't do that! Okay, awesome, thanks OctoG.

OctoG123: Of course, what are best friends for? I am your best friend, right?

Todd: [covering ears of Non-specific Action Figure] Yeeaaaaah, you're my b-best friend.

OctoG123: Hey, I saw you covered up his ears!

Todd: Gotta go, bye! [gets GamePad and prepares to replay game]

Todd: [to Non-specific Action Figure] Alright, I promise to tell him about us

Non-specific Action Figure: [disapproving glare]

Todd: Okay, updating scanner. Alright, let's see if this works. Oh! There it is! Heeeyes! Okay zombie posse only one he's going to bite it is you! *grunts* I did it! I beat him! I beat him! Did you hear that, Non-specific Action Figure, I beat him! Yeah, oh yes!

Non-specific Action Figure: [grin and thumbs-up]

*slogan: "Together Wii U"*

Todd: Finally, yeah! Woohoo, oh mean, yes this is-- [fades out]

So if I have some more time, are there any other segments that need put to text?

Man what an eventful day.
I don't think the Pro controller is finalized. For some reason it looks very "shopped" like it was put together before the show begun. Hopefully it can quell the "face buttons below right stick" complaint.

you are way off with this if you think that was a concept this close to launch :p

japtor

What are the chances that Nintendo will still tease the 3D Mario Wii U game? Something like a short 1 minute video to show the concept behind it.
Well they showed a NSMB game (simultaneous Wii version of 2?) in this little web only thing, I wouldn't be too surprised at a tease of a new 3D one at E3.

BD1

Banned
One really cool thing that seems possible in MiiVerse is "hype tiles." Let's say Nintendo or a third party publisher wants to generate some buzz for a Wii U exclusive. Nintendo could add a pre-release tile in MiiVerse, a build an active community of fans looking forward to the game. Movies, demos, game info and comments and interactions from gamers.

Really cool.

Hmm, I hope the conference stream works better on ios than the Nintendo Direct did. It was lagging, losing visuals, and just generally not working well. Don't want that to happen for the big conference!

man I hope not my connection lagged like crazy and had to reload a few times so I had to re-watch on the youtube to see everything I missed. I would go to the NYC event if it was not just streamed from the same source (not that I know but seems like the cheap way to do it)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I really should be cutting struts for my geodesic dome right now, but I never claimed to be particularly wise.

So if I have some more time, are there any other segments that need put to text?
You took the best part!

Thanks for that. I will look and see if anything is unclaimed.

Here is the section after the promo video up until 21:38:
I think you may agree that was a little different. I hope you liked it.

At the end, I think, you saw a lot of Mii characters come out saying different things and milling about. That was the Wii U menu that you see when the system is first powered on. Our development teams have been calling this Mii Wara Wara since early in development. In Japanese we use the term Wara Wara to describe this kind of gathering. That re-translated, refers to the general noise and commotion created by such a crowd. The Miis you see there are not random. Your Mii will be there along with every person who has an account on your own Wii U system. In addition, your friends are there. And finally, also in the scene are people from your country or who speak your language who are also playing the games represented by the tiles. The speech bubbles represent actual communications from all these real world players.

When you launch the Wii u menu the Wii u game pad in your hand will have a familiar lineup of icons for games and built in applications but on the tv screen you will see tiles for games that players from around the world are playing most including games you may not even own. The Mii characters gather around the games they are playing and the views of the Wii u game pad and TV are interchangeable. What is going on here is what we call Miiverse. Clearly this is a word we invented, a shortened way to describe a Mii Universe, a place where Miis from around the world can meet and connect. It’s a network communication system that is as native to Wii U as if the Wii U game pad (??? - 19:30).

This plaza scene is the first thing displayed on the TV when you turn on your Wii U. Miiverse can be also be activated anytime during your game without the need to terminate play.

Certainly, the idea of a video game network is not new so let me focus on a few of the elements that we feel make Miiverse distinctive. In typical fashion, communication between the Miis can occur with simple text messaging. However, we believe that the touch pad on the Wii U game pad will make some difference. Not only does the touch screen make the typing simpler but you also may find that this screen right in your hands makes reading messages easier. Maybe, I’m not the only person who sometimes finds it difficult to read the channel guide on the tv from across the room. Miiverse also makes it simple to communicate with handwritten notes, even doodles. As technology has advanced handwritten messages have declined but if you used Flipnote Studio or Swapnote you understand that what you physically write or draw can naturally convey stronger feelings than what you simply type. With Miiverse you can even add image of a facial expression to help communicate your emotions.

Some of you may remember a guy by the name of David Gibson who said MH3G wasn't coming to the west due to poor sales on the Wii.

well, the guy's at it again.

At E3, already Nintendo announcement on WiiU but non event,pro controller is copy of 360,browser support coming -too late!

the company working on Nintendo's social was posted in this thread many pages back I really wish I could find that post I want to look at the website again

Idk it just seems unfinished. I like it and would definitely grab one. And who knows, this thing might not even be available at launch.

no I think it should be a pack-in if its just a concept then you will not see it one the show floor on tuesday but I am very sure nintendo wants the media posting news reviews about how good it feels

remember PS3 had the banana controller and all the hate for the design forced a change but how many months from that does nintendo have to change things?

I think its final not concept

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
edit - The transcript cut and moved to a new post.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well, I watched the Nintendo Direct "live" and decide not to comment until now. Too much clutter and knee-jerk reactions for my liking, and I wanted to let everything sit in before I posted some thoughts.

For the first-time in the Wii-U's pre-life span, I understand how and why this could be the next revolution in gaming (pardon the pun). The innovative and yet hardcore-nature of the Wii-U controller, the bid for your TV time with a universal remote, the social abilities of the OS, the sharing of experiences with friends and potential knowledge of what is popular in your "community" with miiverse, the simple and intuitive nature of streaming videos, chats, and games to your controller even away from your tv, and the inclusion of a xbox 360-like controller for hardcore gamers to be ever so familiar with while playing gamer's games.

Nintendo is building a bridge console. It is vying for BOTH the casual and hardcore gamers. While the Wii was Wii Sports, the Wii-U is more Super Smash Bros Brawl. This is the system that will aim to unite casual and hardcore gamers alike, and I think they just might have the goods to pull it off and becoming a smashing success (pun intended).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
maxwell.png

Hi guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom