• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope Sega saying Aliens CM won't be at E3 is a red herring as Terrell theorized.

Agent Unknown said:
Oh yeah, he's that guy who uses his YouTube to "talk back" to GAF. He was perm'd after trolling and name calling in a Vita launch thread.

Never mind, I spoke too soon, this is a totally different guy. Man, YouTube has lots of crazies.

A good example of this was The Godfather.

The Godfather on Wii was way more fun than the 360/PS3 versions.

Yet Godfather sold way more on 360/PS3. I'm sure there's many reasons for this, but this is one example.

But what is "way more"?

Never mind, I spoke too soon, this is a totally different guy. Man, YouTube has lots of crazies.

I was going to say he got banned a long time ago. I like Tre's passion, but there's no rational way to debate that Wii was on par graphic-wise with PS360.

Dalthien

A good example of this was The Godfather.

The Godfather on Wii was way more fun than the 360/PS3 versions.

Yet Godfather sold way more on 360/PS3. I'm sure there's many reasons for this, but this is one example.

Sales in the US for Godfather: 360>Wii>PS3

Oddduck

I could never forget DrTre on the IGN boards. That guy's arguments were pretty entertaining.

Sales in the US for Godfather: 360>Wii>PS3

Really? Is there a reliable source for this?

That's good to hear though.

I would say Godfather Wii was one of the top 20 games for the Wii. It was that fun.

EDarkness

I was under the impression that The Godfather did better on the Wii than the PS3. Can't really look at the 360 version since it came out way earlier then the Wii and PS3 versions. Besides, the game was so old by that time it surprising it sold as much as it did on any system that came out this generation.

Anth0ny

1) Many hardcore nintendo fans are multi-console owners and prefer their third party games on Microsoft/Sony consoles.

This is pretty much how I feel. Wii U getting multiplat games will be awesome until PS4/720 are released, since they'll probably be the ideal versions of the game not only performance wise, but because of the controller.

As soon as PS4/720 are released, and their versions of third party games are (presumably) blowing the Wii U version out of the water, Wii U becomes the first party Nintendo game machine again. Which I'm fine with.

ADANIEL1960

Neo Member
i'd say a good example of a hyped game selling poorly is madworld. sure it was a niche sort of thing like bayonetta or vanquish or infinite space, but it had an ad campaign with commercials on tv and everything, was pretty bloody, rated m and all that jazz, and then completely underwhelmed and then some when it came out. and it released in 2009 when wii sales weren't completely dead.

I am not sure that is such a great example either, I would put Madworld in the Manhunt category. a little too brutal.
In regards to Madworld, even though i did not play, i understood that one got bonus points for the more creative way you killed a NPC. Its one thing to defend yourself from zombies/Monsters, but thrill kills...... Not sure that is something i want my kids playing or watching me play.
I am sure that sentiment reduced its audience

AniHawk

I am not sure that is such a great example either, I would put Madworld in the Manhunt category. a little too brutal.
In regards to Madworld, even though i did not play, i understood that one got bonus points for the more creative way you killed a NPC. Its one thing to defend yourself from zombies/Monsters, but thrill kills...... Not sure that is something i want my kids playing or watching me play.

i'd put madworld in the same category as god of war as far as brutality goes. although i personally think god of war is a lot worse because it's so fucking serious and is a lot less cartoony.

Oddduck

maybe it'll be raving rabbids just dance and the end times will finally descend upon us all.

The other possibility could be that Lady Gaga game that was rumored for Wii U.

It says the Paris division of Ubisoft was responsible for the Michael Jackson game, so I'm sure the MJ team would be behind the Lady Gaga game.

EDarkness

I bought Madworld, but it wasn't that much fun and I passed that on to my Wii playing brethren. It's way too repetitive and even IGN had to pull back some of the hype after they started really playing it. There was a lot of debate that perhaps their review was too generous. I'm I'm the camp that it was.

AniHawk

I bought Madworld, but it wasn't that much fun and I passed that on to my Wii playing brethren. It's way too repetitive and even IGN had to pull back some of the hype after they started really playing it. There was a lot of debate that perhaps their review was too generous. I'm I'm the camp that it was.

are you sure you didn't mix up madworld with the conduit?

This is pretty much how I feel. Wii U getting multiplat games will be awesome until PS4/720 are released, since they'll probably be the ideal versions of the game not only performance wise, but because of the controller.

As soon as PS4/720 are released, and their versions of third party games are (presumably) blowing the Wii U version out of the water, Wii U becomes the first party Nintendo game machine again. Which I'm fine with.
Indeed.

antonz

is beyond good & evil 2 one of them.

and if not, in what form does it exist.

Really have no idea on that one. Ancels team from bits and pieces I have seen and heard seems to be thrown around to other projects alot.

I dont see why it couldnt be on the Wii U though it has to actually be finished for any console at this rate

AniHawk

Really have no idea on that one. Ancels team from bits and pieces I have seen and heard seems to be thrown around to other projects alot.

that sucks. thanks for the info though. my guess is that montpellier is split between killer freaks and rayman legends?

i wonder if they'll ever give him time to work on it some more.

EDarkness

are you sure you didn't mix up madworld with the conduit?

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure there was a bit of back peddling for both games on the IGN forums. Moreso for the Condiut. But I'll admit that it's been a few years since then, so I might have a couple details a little off. Heh, heh.

ADANIEL1960

Neo Member

If you play the PC version of Crysis on 1080P does it blow the 360version of Crysis away?
Is that a fair comparison?

antonz

that sucks. thanks for the info though. my guess is that montpellier is split between killer freaks and rayman legends?

i wonder if they'll ever give him time to work on it some more.
I have to imagine that progress is being made. Probably not as fast as most people would want but yeah Montpelliers big project is Killer Freaks and Legends.
Wonder if HHG's claim of the next Splinter Cell for WiiU is legit then.

Wont claim any specific knowledge as to titles but I would expect them to have lots of their titles showing up. Ubisoft has made sure to only outline Wii U knowledge through the fiscal year and even then they arent naming anything leaving people who guess titles

Triton55

Thought experiment: if the Wii U controller actually was just a new add-on for the Wii, would you still be interested? You would have GCN/Wii graphics for another cycle and probably no 3rd party support but on the other hand still get a rejuvenated line-up of all the first-party games you would expect from a new console without paying the full price of one.

How would you feel? Do you give up on Nintendo all together at this point, or still buy the tablet?

Thought experiment: if the Wii U controller actually was just a new add-on for the Wii, would you still be interested? You would have GCN/Wii graphics for another cycle and probably no 3rd party support but on the other hand still get a rejuvenated line-up of all the first-party games you would expect from a new console without paying the full price of one.

How would you feel? Do you give up on Nintendo all together at this point, or still buy the tablet?
No I wouldn't. I'd face palm to the max and get a PS4.

snesfreak

Banned

I would not buy that.

1) Many hardcore nintendo fans are multi-console owners and prefer their third party games on Microsoft/Sony consoles.

And

2) Third parties do a horrible job marketing adult games for Nintendo hardware.

They not going to win with multi-console games, I just hope 3rd party dont do what they did with Wii and miss out passing it up to go with twins still

and then put some B team on it with no ads and moan it didn't do will and only Big N game sell

Really Big N cant do anything with out pissing them off 3DS shows that, They give 3rd party time to put games out at the start did they? No so i hope Big N hit the ground running with Wii U and just come out with games games and more games dont hold back for 3rd party's

The Wii is dead at this point. Even the touch controller wouldn´t revive it. This would truly be a "Nintendo is DOOMED" situation.

Thank god Nintendo is not retarded!

Anth0ny

If it was like $79.99 maybe

Darryl

Banned

I'd still buy it to play DQX in bed.

EDarkness

I wouldn't buy that at all. It's time for new hardware. My feeling is that the Wii should die in peace.

AniHawk

the only way the wii u controller would work as a continuation of the wii would be if it was actually the entire system. it wouldn't really be portable, but more of a glorified tv remote somehow.

this is probably the direction nintendo's leaning on for the following generation, assuming this upcoming one doesn't make them irrelevant.

Terrell

Didn't work out that way for PS3, GameCube, Saturn or N64. In fact, the only time in the history of the industry that this has ever worked was the SNES, and given the 3rd-party support the Genesis/Mega Drive enjoyed, it's roughly debatable.

But we shall see.

ADANIEL1960

Neo Member

Does this mean i can play AC3 on my wii in HD??????

the only way the wii u controller would work as a continuation of the wii would be if it was actually the entire system. it wouldn't really be portable, but more of a glorified tv remote somehow.
this is probably the direction nintendo's leaning on for the following generation, assuming this upcoming one doesn't make them irrelevant.

It all depends on this E3. If they blow it now, the uphill battle is nearly impossible to win. With "the year of silence", they inflicted on us, you can bank on it that Nintendo knows this E3 is insanely important for the companys future.

Izick

Would pass on that. Sounds awful.

Didn't work out that way for PS3, GameCube, Saturn or N64. In fact, the only time in the history of the industry that this has ever worked was the SNES.

But we shall see.

And frankly some of us *cough would much rather that the Wii U wind up being next gen's PS2. I'd be absolutely thrilled if that happened and I'm crossing my fingers for it.

And frankly some of us *cough would much rather that the Wii U wind up being next gen's PS2. I'd be absolutely thrilled if that happened and I'm crossing my fingers for it.

There will never be another PS2. That ship sailed the moment the dev costs rose to where they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom