• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - new incredible screens [Update: Added A Lot More In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
sam27368 said:
What are the system specs for the second one?
What does that even mean? The specs needed to run the game at 30 fps with no AA and at 1280x800?

Or do you mean 2560x1600 maxed settings with 4xSGSSAA and a steady 60 fps?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm not opening the first page because I'm in media blackout since the last video, but judging from reactions on this page screens look good.

Dennis

Banned
subversus said:
I'm not opening the first page because I'm in media blackout since the last video, but judging from reactions on this page screens look good.
Yeah its kind of spoilery. Do you remember Triss from the first game? The game starts with her getting disemboweled by a Hill Giant and then you have go get revenge while shagging up with Shani.

FoxSpirit said:
An interesting question would be: what's the budget on this?

I'm willing to bet it is a fraction of what cost to produce the generic AAA sequels we get on consoles. This game is the result of what can be accomplished when you are forced to run a lean, efficient team, and when you set realistic expectations about sales.

Dennis

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
I'm willing to bet it is a fraction of what cost to produce the generic AAA sequels we get on consoles. This game is the result of what can be accomplished when you are forced to run a lean, efficient team, and when you set your realistic expectations about sales.
Good graphics doesn't cost a fortune

Examples: Risen and Two Worlds II. Relatively small budgets but these open-world RPGs look better than most games out there. Its all about not being constrained by consoles from fucking 2005

Vlodril

Indeed. I dont have your crazy love for both games but still think those games looked phenomenal. Risen's lighting is fantastic and two worlds looked excellent also. Hoping The Witcher 2 will be even better.

Ceebs

DennisK4 said:
Good graphics doesn't cost a fortune

Examples: Risen and Two Worlds II. Relatively small budgets but these open-world RPGs look better than most games out there. Its all about not being constrained by consoles from fucking 2005
You should also point out that both games ran fantastic while maxed out on modest hardware.

RedSwirl

I'm gonna be pulling the trigger on an HD 6850 pretty soon and now these screens make me doubt that even that will be enough.

Ceebs

RedSwirl said:
I'm gonna be pulling the trigger on an HD 6850 pretty soon and now these screens make me doubt that even that will be enough.
I would be willing to bet that you will be able to max the detail settings with much weaker hardware than a 6850. The extra power will be if you want loads of AA applied.

sam27368

Banned
DennisK4 said:
What does that even mean? The specs needed to run the game at 30 fps with no AA and at 1280x800?

Or do you mean 2560x1600 maxed settings with 4xSGSSAA and a steady 60 fps?

As in the minimum and recommended specs. You know.. the ones EVERY developer releases before there game comes out for PC. Sorry if you had trouble understanding that.

On another note, the developer diaries on the website are awesome. I'm hoping the engine runs like a dream on less impressive PCs, seems that way when they're describing the engine.

Dennis

Banned
sam27368 said:
As in the minimum and recommended specs. You know.. the ones EVERY developer releases before there game comes out for PC. Sorry if you had trouble understanding that.
I understand about PC gaming to know that minimum and recommended specs means next to nothing.

The minimum specs for example, are they what you need to run the game with 25 fps at 1280x800 or 2560x1600? 15 fps? 40 fps?

But hey go ahead and get butthurt.

cj_iwakura

Heck, small dev teams is practically Atlus protocol. All their games from PS1 to PS2 still look great. (Good thing they were sprite based.)

Question:

As someone who is very excited for Witcher 2 (looks and sounds damn amazing) --- but has an unplayed copy sitting in my Steam library --- are their strong story ties to Witcher 1 in Witcher 2?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MikeE21286 said:
Question:

As someone who is very excited for Witcher 2 (looks and sounds damn amazing) --- but has an unplayed copy sitting in my Steam library --- are their strong story ties to Witcher 1 in Witcher 2?
Yes. The Witcher 2 starts shortly after, and it wouldn't surprise me if the story has a lot to do with the war going on in the first.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MikeE21286 said:
Question:

It's largely the same cast of characters and you can import your decisions from the first game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
DennisK4 said:
Yeah its kind of spoilery. Do you remember Triss from the first game? The game starts with her getting disemboweled by a Hill Giant and then you have go get revenge while shagging up with Shani.

I hope a Hill Giant rapes her body after that and then sits on her remains musing about how bad he was. Some pretty mature stuff out there.

Salaadin

MikeE21286 said:
Question:

We dont know how strong of a tie in there is but there will be some direct connections. Truthfully, you're probably better off playing it, learning the story, and getting a good save file to transfer over. Its a great game and probably better than any other game you might play before it.

ME0001367805_2.jpg

ME0001367812_2.jpg

Salaadin said:
We dont know how strong of a tie in there is but there will be some direct connections. Truthfully, you're probably better off playing it, learning the story, and getting a good save file to transfer over. Its a great game and probably better than any other game you might play before it.

good advice there.....I need to carve out some time for it.

edit: wow @ those screens MickeyKnox. Really like the first one.

Micius

MikeE21286 said:
Question:

There's really no reason not to play The Witcher before the sequel at this point if you have the time to spare. Only true downside to it is probably the loading times due to an obsolete game engine but gameplay is fun and the storyline is definitely one of the strong points, and a lot of characters introduced and fleshed out in the first game (if you haven't read the books) will be making a return.

There's also plenty of lore and world building in the first game to familiarize yourself with if you are into that sort of stuff.

Man

Just purchased (and dl'ing) Witcher EEdition and pre-purchased Witcher 2 on Steam.
My 460 is gonna burn, burn, burn...

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Looks fantastic.

They said they could get the prison sequence they showed running on consoles without losing much quality. So I don't think you guys should worry too much if you have a 1-2 year old graphic cards. You won't max the settings, but you'll be able to play it.

I am definitely getting this on PC though as it will definitely look a lot better and my machine is very newly upgraded. I'm a "couch" person with gaming but thankfully I got that sorted now, got the PC hooked up to my projector and can control it with my iPad and joypad from the couch. Mouse and Keyboard isn't super important for me unless I play MP which I rarely do.

Jerk

Banned
I do not know about everyone else, but I am more impressed by how gorgeous the art looks.

The original was no slouch, but TW2's artists brought their A+ game.

Tacitus_

I just hope Geralt wont be grabbing his sword by the pointy end when fully upgraded this time :|

Srsly, that was stupid.

Tacitus_

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Pointy end? Can you explain more?

If you upgraded Strong Steel to the gold talent, the final two combos had Gerald gripping the pointy end of his sword and slamming the pommel to the enemy.

Not to mention the knockdown instakills where he grabbed the sword by the blade and did the same thing. Felt so stupid while I watched the animation.

nexen

Game looks awesome but am I the only one bothered by the fact that Geralt looks different than in Witcher 1? I really liked the way he looked in Witcher 1 and this looks like a totally different guy :(

Is the voice actor the same at least?

Tacitus_ said:
I just hope Geralt wont be grabbing his sword by the pointy end when fully upgraded this time :|

Srsly, that was stupid.
I agree. A lot of his upgraded attack animations were really bad.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The_Technomancer said:
Hm, looking at the required specs on the Steam page, I should be able to run this on my lappy with 2.4 ghz and a GF 9400M...
What gave you that idea? The min reqs ask for the desktop 8800 512MB, a card so much faster than the integrated laptop 9400M, it's impossible to make a quantifiable measurement.

But, let's just ballpark it at 10 to 20x the performance.

RedSwirl

A lot of people around me for some reason are starting The Witcher now in preparation for this. I've had a copy sitting on my hard drive for a year and was thinking of starting around April maybe. Does the game really take that much time?

antonz

RedSwirl said:
A lot of people around me for some reason are starting The Witcher now in preparation for this. I've had a copy sitting on my hard drive for a year and was thinking of starting around April maybe. Does the game really take that much time?
Its a pretty fully fleshed out game. Its like 40-60 Hours of Game. Some places say it can take upto 80 though skipping optional things etc will speed it up.

Vasili2K38

RedSwirl said:

Playing in normal difficulty took me around 60 hours, but I think I did almost every quest, explore and everything. Today I started again the game, in hard difficulty, we'll see how goes. And BTW, new avatar ^^

RedSwirl said:

I've been playing it off an on for two years. Cumulatively I'm probably at 65 hours. It all depends on how much you want to do. It's a game I love to death but I always find myself putting aside when new releases pop up. Continue to go back and plan to finish it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom