• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT2| Wanted to find Ciri, but everything Gwent wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

boskee

Hmmm........I sure hope that's not the guy I found in a cage and couldn't for the life of me, despite searching for AGES, find the key...........

I read that complaint numerous times and yet I never actually needed a key to free them - or perhaps I didn't think about it - if I only loot bandits' bodies I can always open the cage, and I freed plenty of captives.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yep, you're in the home stretch.

Thanks. I'm gonna do every sidequest I can before doing those other main quests. If there is one thing this game excels at it's the significance of seemingly insignificant quests. For example, I did a random low level quest about a haunted house and it turned into an epic quest involving
Letho. I'm assuming he wouldn't have shown up at the battle of Kaer Moren
if I hadn't done this mission. I don't wanna miss anything like that going into the endgame.

This is the best RPG I have played since Kotor, and that's high praise from me since I firmly believe Kotor is the greatest game that ever was or ever will be.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So the new Skellige DLC armor is level 41 - is somebody in his game even high as level 35 ? :D

I'm a level 36 but I don't think I could milk much more out of it. I do see stuff I can craft that's in the 40s though.

Hmmm........I sure hope that's not the guy I found in a cage and couldn't for the life of me, despite searching for AGES, find the key...........

Yeah, I heard it's pretty damn buggy to actually get the guy out of the cage(and sometimes he won't even make it back to the town), but I think you're SOL if you don't have a save before discovering that spot, as the bandit leader you fight holds the key.

JaddF

Neo Member
I'm at 220 hours first play through and after constantly sitting ducks at 170-180 with all 4 master crafted sets I gave up and installed the 9000 mod.

I really like the idea of mobile inventory rather than having to go at an INN as in the past games, because I'm switching my gear on the go when fighting different types of enemies.

For example - Griffin set with embedded igni and sign runes/glyphs in weapons / armor for maximum effect against necrophages like ghouls / drowners / hags.

Then I switch up to Ursine for witcher contracts or boss enemies with embedded quen and chernobog runes/glyphs .

Afterwards, I will go to a Feline set with stagger / burn / poison + axii / igni runes/glyphs for human enemies etc.

I do all of this on the go. I have clearance potions as well if I need a hard switch in the game style, although I have 2 trees in signs and 2 in combat so my build is hybrid.

aku:jiki

I don't think I need a storage chest but it's a welcome addition. My inventory was 130 and I only used maybe 40 out of that. Then I won another saddlebag so now I'm at ~40/160. I don't know about anyone else but when I get a new armor set I just sell/dismantle the old one.
You need to loot more. You're not carrying around anywhere near enough Alcohest and Dwarven Spirit.

I read that complaint numerous times and yet I never actually needed a key to free them - or perhaps I didn't think about it - if I only loot bandits' bodies I can always open the cage, and I freed plenty of captives.
That's you not thinking about it. The leader is supposed to hold a key, but there's a glitch where he just doesn't and there's no way to open the cage.

danowat

Banned
Yeah, I heard it's pretty damn buggy to actually get the guy out of the cage(and sometimes he won't even make it back to the town), but I think you're SOL if you don't have a save before discovering that spot, as the bandit leader you fight holds the key.

So does that mean I can never get all the Gwent cards?, or are there enough merchants in the game to mean you can miss a couple and still get them all?

Haunted

I'm at 220 hours first play through and after constantly sitting ducks at 170-180 with all 4 master crafted sets I gave up and installed the 9000 mod.

I really like the idea of mobile inventory rather than having to go at an INN as in the past games, because I'm switching my gear on the go when fighting different types of enemies.

For example - Griffin set with embedded igni and sign runes/glyphs in weapons / armor for maximum effect against necrophages like ghouls / drowners / hags.

Then I switch up to Ursine for witcher contracts or boss enemies with embedded quen and chernobog runes/glyphs .

Afterwards, I will go to a Feline set with stagger / burn / poison + axii / igni runes/glyphs for human enemies etc.

I do all of this on the go. I have clearance potions as well if I need a hard switch in the game style, although I have 2 trees in signs and 2 in combat so my build is hybrid.
Custom sets to switch between with one button press are another QoL feature that should've been in there from the start.

At least for the three (four, with DLC) Witcher gear sets.

Jintor

surprisingly cool cutscene at the end of the mysterious tower sidequest for something that doesn't involve any major characters. i get the feeling some quest designer just wanted to make a cool little cutscene.

ramyeon

I'm actually kind of sick of Novigrad now.
Up to the quest line about putting on a play to lure Dudu out of hiding. It's kind of ridiculous and I'm longing for the wilderness and exploration again. Been doing contracts here and there to keep things interesting. Way overlevelled (At 17 now) for the main quest lines but underlevelled for a lot of the optional stuff I have left in my quest log atm.

It's still great, just can't wait to get out of this city.

boskee

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Up to the quest line about putting on a play to lure Dudu out of hiding. It's kind of ridiculous and I'm longing for the wilderness and exploration again. Been doing contracts here and there to keep things interesting. Way overlevelled (At 17 now) for the main quest lines but underlevelled for a lot of the optional stuff I have left in my quest log atm.

If you go to the previous page you will see I had the EXACT same issue. The Novigrad questline is the low-point of an otherwise great game. It never really gets any better so i'd say just power through and don't draw it out. You will have one more important side-quest to do when it's over minor spoiler: (
helping Triss
) and I would recommend you do it straight after the main Novigrad quest ends and before you go to Skellige.

rakhir

Custom sets to switch between with one button press are another QoL feature that should've been in there from the start.

At least for the three (four, with DLC) Witcher gear sets.
Why? They don't actually want you to switch gear like that, that's why they did not include a button for it and added weight limit to discourage dragging all three or four witcher sets in the inventory.

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but here's an interview with Marcin Iwinski conducted by Daniel Bloodworth. Apart from proving again that he's very friendly guy, Marcin confirmed that the game will be supported for few years, first expansion will be released in October and that people in the studio were wowed by players using aard on hanged bodies in Velen.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/dptqhk/the-witcher-3--wild-hunt-e3-2015--co-founder-post-mortem
I hope this means more expansions than what they've announced. I'm thinking they've earned quite a few new fans and more downloadable content may be a very wise idea for them, I know I'd buy anything they release. As long as they pack in a few quests, i.e. an excuse to play, I'd even buy horse armor.

misho8723

Banned
surprisingly cool cutscene at the end of the mysterious tower sidequest for something that doesn't involve any major characters. i get the feeling some quest designer just wanted to make a cool little cutscene.

What mysterious tower side-quest do you mean ? That one on the Fyke Island ?

There are many details in the game, like for example
when you can help one old women, after helping her you can ask her to take care of some small children without parents, and if she agrees you can come some time after to her house and then you can see that she infact has taken care of those children and they are playing around the house :)
really nice details

What mysterious tower side-quest do you mean ? That one on the Fyke Island ?

There are many details in the game, like for example
when you can help one old women, after helping her you can ask here to take care of some small children without parents, and if she agrees you can come some time after to her house and then you can see that she infact has taken care of those children and they are playing around the house :)
really nice details

That's great. I need to revisit that place if I can find it.

Haunted

Why? They don't actually want you to switch gear like that, that's why they did not include a button for it and added weight limit to discourage dragging all three or four witcher sets in the inventory.
Geralt would be a poor witcher if he weren't prepared for a multitude of situations, and that includes his gear, just as much as his oils and potions.

Geralt would be a poor witcher if he weren't prepared for a multitude of situations, and that includes his gear, just as much as his oils and potions.
You say that as if there's an actual in-game explanation for why a studded leather jacket can raise the amount of gold Geralt finds.

That's great. I need to revisit that place if I can find it.
It's just outside the honey farm to the east of Novigrad.

Auctopus

I had the same experience at the exact same point, it's a minor fault in pacing and bloatiness.

I don't know if you've been there yet but I highly recommend after you finish up Novigrad, you head straight for Skellige. The open wilderness will be incredible for you.

Haunted

Then... leave?

Literally nothing's stopping you. Put the Novigrad questline on hold and venture out to the wilderness of Skellige, plenty of quests to find and things to do, at your level, below and above. :D

edit: Geralt doesn't feel super comfortable in large cities for extended amounts of time (and especially dislikes Novigrad), he's glad when he can leave and get back on the road. In a way, it's awesome and fitting that they somehow managed to nail that feeling and replicate it for many players. :lol

boskee

I hope this means more expansions than what they've announced. I'm thinking they've earned quite a few new fans and more downloadable content may be a very wise idea for them, I know I'd buy anything they release. As long as they pack in a few quests, i.e. an excuse to play, I'd even buy horse armor.

I know it's very unlikely to happen, but I would love to see the previous two games released as new regions/content for TW3. The world map in TW3 is perfect for that. Here's hoping that modders get on it once RedKit is released.

Kvik

Yes, it goes well with Tawny Owl.

I'm partial to roast beef, myself. I need to find the recipe for Superior Tawny Owl.

That's nothing, you should see how much water I have.
U1kO6ar.png

Welp. Did you keep drinking Redanian Lager instead of water?

Also, I don't want to kill this cute Herbalist on Skellige. But she put a curse on a dude's kid out of spite. :-\

ramyeon

Then... leave?

Literally nothing's stopping you. Put the Novigrad questline on hold and venture out to the wilderness of Skellige, plenty of quests to find and things to do, at your level, below and above.
Oh I'm aware that I can leave. And that's why I mentioned I've been doing other contracts and stuff on the side.

I'd actually just rather get all the stuff in Novigrad over and done with to be honest. Like ripping a bandaid off quickly.
I had the same experience at the exact same point, it's a minor fault in pacing and bloatiness.

I don't know if you've been there yet but I highly recommend after you finish up Novigrad, you head straight for Skellige. The open wilderness will be incredible for you.
I actually haven't been to Skellige yet, I can't wait to check it out. Been holding off since I just wanna get Novigrad bowled over first. It's just a shame that the quests there are so oddly paced.

Haunted

Oh I'm aware that I can leave. And that's why I mentioned I've been doing other contracts and stuff on the side.

I'd actually just rather get all the stuff in Novigrad over and done with to be honest. Like ripping a bandaid off quickly.

I actually haven't been to Skellige yet, I can't wait to check it out. Been holding off since I just wanna get Novigrad bowled over first. It's just a shame that the quests there are so oddly paced.
I know that your OCD kinda "prevents" you from going to Skellige now, you want to wrap up everything in Novigrad first before you tackle anything new - it was the exact same for me (I blame years of conditioning to finish up one area before heading to the next in these kinds of RPGs). I'm specifically telling you to not repeat my mistake and just encourage you to go to Skellige next chance you get. :D

Yeah if this really is Geralts last game then I hope we get more, I can't imagine playing a witcher game without him

rakhir

Lore-wise no, it doesn't make sense, he doesn't drag a whole wardrobe with him on his horse. Witchers do not need different jackets to fight different monsters, because most of the things would kill them in one hit, that's why they dodge and do pirouetts.

You can change your gear constatntly in the game, but i think the developers would like you to choose one and stick with it.

Haunted

Lore-wise no, it doesn't make sense, he doesn't drag a whole wardrobe with him on his horse. Witchers do not need different jackets to fight different monsters, because most of the things would kill them in one hit, that's why they dodge and do pirouetts.

You can change your gear constatntly in the game, but i think the developers would like you to choose one and stick with it.
I concede that loot is one of the key points where the lore and the game actually contradict each other.

It'd still be a nice quality of life UI improvement for this video game.

You may call me crazy, but I finished the game and out of the numerous problems I have in this game, storage is not one of them.

Yeah I never had a problem with with storage or the overall size of my Inventory, and I had my Starting Armor and my Griffon Set always with me. Couldn't get over dismantling or selling it, despite wearing the Ursine Armor.

So does that mean I can never get all the Gwent cards?, or are there enough merchants in the game to mean you can miss a couple and still get them all?
That merchant sells cards, and I'm pretty sure they're ones that you can't get any other way :(

One of my friends also has that bug so it's obviously fairly common. Hopefully CDPR can patch in a solution of some kind.

I wonder what level the expansion packs will be for though. I finished the game at 35 but I'm planning on going back to it and roaming around (with question marks off and just discovering them naturally...lol hours and hours will be wasted)

But it would really suck if you're over levelled for their expansion missions later this year

Sai

That Merchant you that you can rescue from captivity near the bridge to Novigrad territory is bugged. When I ask to look at his merchandise it goes right back to the dialogue menu, and not his shop.

Gone back to him a couple of times, and the problem persists.

I wonder what level the expansion packs will be for though. I finished the game at 35 but I'm planning on going back to it and roaming around (with question marks off and just discovering them naturally...lol hours and hours will be wasted)

But it would really suck if you're over levelled for their expansion missions later this year

I'm sure they'll take that into consideration. Obviously someone who does only the main story missions and a few side quests is going to have a pretty low level compared to someone who did pretty much everything.

The best solution might be a cap where your level's raised if you never got that high and lowered if it's a higher.

I just turned level 36 today, still have all of Skelliges ?'s to get to level 41.
5 levels from POIs? They'll give you a quarter of a level at best...

They absolutely have to scale, no other solution makes any sense. The free DLC equipment does scale, so the code exists and they're aware, and we can probably assume that the expansions will too.

omgkitty

That Merchant you that you can rescue from captivity near the bridge to Novigrad territory is bugged. When I ask to look at his merchandise it goes right back to the dialogue menu, and not his shop.

Gone back to him a couple of times, and the problem persists.

I haven't been able to even save him from the cage. I can't seem to find the key, and there's no one else around to loot.

d3vnull

Do we know which of the Sorceresses is the most powerful and how they compare?

If Gwent cards are an indicator, Philippa Eilhart is the one.

But to me personally Yen or even Triss seem more powerful.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've ran out of secondary quests/contracts to do. I've visited all the noticeboards and spoke to everyone with a yellow !

I guess I just focus on the main story now until it ends.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DLC armour scales in tiers, so I guess the Skellige armour's max is 41. Which is a bit crazy, as that's going to be an extremely difficult level to obtain for anybody playing on higher difficulties, if not outright impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom