• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 XP bug is getting fixed but not until next week

I get that attitude, but I just think it is really minor. The game literally rains exp on you at points and there is no good "flow" to the difficulty even if you don't get hit with the bug. Unless you're like purposely bee-lining the main story quests only and skipping most of the world (which is huge) and somehow get hit with the bug more than anyone has ever reported you can't really get under-leveled or anything. It is extremely easy to over-level yourself in The Witcher 3 unless you're just intently skipping out on stuff.

There's also no "How its meant to be enjoyed" in an open-worldish game, imo.

Well considering that the focus on leveling up through missions instead of fighting monsters has been made with the game, i do think that this bug does impact the game at its core.

As with the 'how it is meant to be played', when your main source of xp is main story missions and you have done everything you can other than those, it does affect how you can play the game since you then have to 'deal with it' and accept that the game isnt rewarding you how it is meant to be.

If you are happy with that than thats no problem, but for me, after spending at least 30 hours so far to have to stop because the games leveling system isnt working as it previously was, it is something major.

I am unable to fast travel, summon my horse or meditate. I thought it might just be the mission I was on so I completed it and still nothing. My prior save is hours from where I am now.... this may be enough to have me drop the game for a good while. Anyone run into this?

Fliesen

Act 2 begins when (not really a spoiler and this has been unmarked in the OT many times but JUST in case):
you find Ciri

WAIT, WHAT?!

does this mean me being in
Kaer Morhen
, i'm still in act 1?

i'm lvl 24 btw ... wtf. How long is this freaking game?! :D

Fliesen

I am unable to fast travel, summon my horse or meditate. I thought it might just be the mission I was on so I completed it and still nothing. My prior save is hours from where I am now.... this may be enough to have me drop the game for a good while. Anyone run into this?

I had this very issue after completing the H
attori
storyline. (only happened to me once in roughly 120 hours of playtime, so far)
it told me to wait 2 days for
my sword to finish
. when i tried meditating, it was actually greyed out and non selectable. I think the game thought i was in combat. Neither could i save the game.

Fast traveling to another "area" altogether (going back to White Orchard and back) fixed this for me. Hope that'll help you as well.

WAIT, WHAT?!

Kaer Morhen
, i'm still in act 1?

For me Act 2 is
Kaer Morhen, all the quests and battles you do there, and some that are done in the other maps that open up after that part.

WAIT, WHAT?!

Kaer Morhen
, i'm still in act 1?

My thoughts exactly. I assumed I was in act 2 already. Holy shit.

I'm not quite that far myself yet so I can't say for sure, but everyone in the OT says that that's when Act 2 starts, and they also say that Act 2 and 3 are much shorter than Act 1.

Fliesen

For me Act 2 is
Kaer Morhen, all the quests and battles you do there, and some that are done in the other maps that open up after that part.

well, i'm still on the first quest there (that requires me to do 3 different short sub-quests). I'm quite sure some story milestone is bound to happen once i finish said quest.

I don't get how difficult the bug could be to fix at this point for PC at least?

The PC mod fixes it, except it gives you exp for all the quests.

Yopis

I understand people's frustration not being able to progress further with a low level on harder main quests, but isn't there enough to do in terms of side quests and treasure hunts that you can do 'before' the Pyres of Novigrad quest, so you are effectively stronger?

Pyres of Novigrad is the starting point for getting no exp. right, or does it just happen' on random?

Though I also understand where people marathon or pump hours upon hours into this that eventually you can not progress further. Guess I am just sort of lucky that I can not play so often, so once I do I have plenty to do before doing the main quests.

Happened to me first time at the end of baron arc. Did all side stuff and was about to out level baron main quest. Finished and zero xp.

Tried to do only side stuff to pass time. Have never had or done a greyed out quest in my log at any point in my playthrough.

Zakalwe

Banned
Sure its possible they just took the decision to include it in the patch. A decision that is turning out to be really stupid.

They commented that it would have caused issues had they gone ahead with it. There's a quote from them somewhere.

I don't get how difficult the bug could be to fix at this point for PC at least?

That's a bandaid, not a fix.

Why wouldn't it? It does what it says, but it doesn't fix the problem exactly, just adds a workaround.

Couldn't take the waiting any more yesterday and did some Novigrad main story quests. Zero XP on at least 3 quest lines, and 500 XP on one of them in between. So much for hoping the bug would set itself straight.

I didn't get XP on the Novigrad quests until "The Play Is the Thing". Been getting normal XP since though.

Gartikker

This is a naive question, but if I'm just starting the game, i take it I'm going to be affected by the bug from the beginning, right?

So can I assume the fix will work in the following manner:

1. fix the bug causing quests to not award xp.
2. Give correct xp for all those instances where the player character did not get it.

What do you guys think?

So can I assume the fix will work in the following manner:

1. fix the bug causing quests to not award xp.
2. Give correct xp for all those instances where the player character did not get it.

What do you guys think?

they said they were trying to give back the lost xp but they said no promises

Hobohodo

So under normal circumstances should all the quests that show up in your log give some XP? Just completed an early hidden treasure quest in Velen (Dead Have No Defence, not exactly notable all I did was stumble along some bandits which when looted has a letter on them that triggered the quest, just had to,walk a short distance and found the treasure they were grave robbing) and had no XP given, yet I receive some earlier for repopulating an area.

I did all the side quests in WO and only came out of there level 4, would that be normal? Currently both main quests in Velen are level 6 but I'm only 5. Just trying to work out if that's normal or if I've been hit with the glitch.

KorrZ

I get that attitude, but I just think it is really minor. The game literally rains exp on you at points and there is no good "flow" to the difficulty even if you don't get hit with the bug. Unless you're like purposely bee-lining the main story quests only and skipping most of the world (which is huge) and somehow get hit with the bug more than anyone has ever reported you can't really get under-leveled or anything. It is extremely easy to over-level yourself in The Witcher 3 unless you're just intently skipping out on stuff.

There's also no "How its meant to be enjoyed" in an open-worldish game, imo.

I tend to agree. I haven't really been affected by the XP bug but there was a huge section of the game (easily 25-30 hours) where I was over leveled for every quest I was doing.

In some ways, I kind of wish I would lose XP so I don't just breeze through enemies by being 4-5 levels higher than them.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I'm thinking the XP bug is so bad they now have to rebalance the entire XP table because the game was balanced around not giving XP for a bunch of quests.

That takes awhile to implement and test.

The nightmare scenario is when they tell us old save games aren't compatible.

In Novigrad and I think this bug is really f'n shit up for me right now. Finished a bunch of mainline quest and got barely any XP.

VicViper

It doesn't affect every quest but only some of them. That's how we know the experience loss is not that big in total numbers.

So if they know which quests are affected, do we have a list?

Just finished the Family Matters quest line and got nothing.

SeanTSC

So under normal circumstances should all the quests that show up in your log give some XP? Just completed an early hidden treasure quest in Velen (Dead Have No Defence, not exactly notable all I did was stumble along some bandits which when looted has a letter on them that triggered the quest, just had to,walk a short distance and found the treasure they were grave robbing) and had no XP given, yet I receive some earlier for repopulating an area.

I did all the side quests in WO and only came out of there level 4, would that be normal? Currently both main quests in Velen are level 6 but I'm only 5. Just trying to work out if that's normal or if I've been hit with the glitch.

Treasure/Scavenger Hunt "quests" do not give EXP - you get whatever loot is found and that's it.

Your level is pretty normal. Level ranges in this game are also extremely forgiving, even on the highest difficulties. As long as it's not 6+ above you (Red) it's almost always fairly simple to do.

Hobohodo

Treasure/Scavenger Hunt "quests" do not give EXP - you get whatever loot is found and that's it.

Your level is pretty normal. Level ranges in this game are also extremely forgiving, even on the highest difficulties. As long as it's not 6+ above you (Red) it's almost always fairly simple to do.

Oh that's good to know then! Been avoiding all these quests and just wandering around trying to find level 5 missions. Will get on with it then!

VicViper

Nope, they could have saved a lot of hassle for those of us on pc if they just released a table of how much exp we would get from each mission so we could add it ourselves manually.

Even on console, knowing what you missed (or could potentially miss) would clear things up a bit. If it's really not having a huge impact as they claim, why not openly say what we are missing exactly?

I think a little more transparency on this whole issue could alleviate the backlash considerably.

I know it's not likely but part of me is hoping that, with the delay, they may add a couple of other fixes in including something like better item sorting.

Even on console, knowing what you missed (or could potentially miss) would clear things up a bit. If it's really not having a huge impact as they claim, why not openly say what we are missing exactly?

I think a little more transparency on this whole issue could alleviate the backlash considerably.

It appears to be random though. I didn't receive any exp for any main story missions in Novigrad, others have received some exp for missions there and didn't receive exp elsewhere. And I don't mean the greyed out, lower level quests. So as far as avoiding the bug, I'd say it's impossible to know when or where it will occur, if it does at all. It's a mess.

I am politely ignoring the people coming in here telling everyone "it's fine, you'll be over levelled anyway." I think that's up to me to decide, considering I spent the money on what I consider a defective product. A great product, but defective none the less.

Yes, personally I do not give a damn about the bug because I still levelled up way too fast for my liking even with the bug. But indeed for what CDPR excels in world building, quest designs they sorely lack the skill to handle these kind of problems communicatively.

Just be damn honest about it, the users will crucify you for it but they will forgive and harbor no further ill will.

They commented that it would have caused issues had they gone ahead with it. There's a quote from them somewhere.

That's a bandaid, not a fix.

Why wouldn't it? It does what it says, but it doesn't fix the problem exactly, just adds a workaround.

I mean, aside from the fix not giving you grey XP, what else would be the difference between the mod and the official fix?

Dynamic XP based on current level (is that even a thing)? I don't know. Doesn't seem like it's something that should take a particularly long time to trot out a fix for, given the severity of the problem.

I know it's not likely but part of me is hoping that, with the delay, they may add a couple of other fixes in including something like better item sorting.

Well yeah? The reason why this hasn't been patched yet is because they're saving it up for the big patch coming up, which will obviously fix more than just the XP glitch. No word on item sorting yet though.

BriGuy

At this point, I kind of regret purchasing the game when I did. I haven't touched it in close to two weeks now, and as more time goes by, the less likely I am to pick it up again.

I'm really starting to fucking hate open-world games because they're almost universally broken at release.

Just a few questions to see if I actually have the XP bug or not. Novigrad spoilers

I just did the mission for Triss to get rid of the rats and I found and did the mission with the lady that makes you dream
The quest was showing up as grey in my mission list but I did not receive XP for either one and now Im a bit gun-shy of starting anything else. Should I have gotten xp for those?

Just a few questions to see if I actually have the XP bug or not. Novigrad spoilers

I just did the mission for Triss to get rid of the rats and I found and did the mission with the lady that makes you dream
The quest was showing up as grey in my mission list but I did not receive XP for either one and now Im a bit gun-shy of starting anything else. Should I have gotten xp for those?

If the quest is grey I don't think you're supposed to get the exp from it as it is too low level. I could be wrong, but that seems to be the case.

SeanTSC

If it's Grey you way over-leveled it and would not receive exp for it regardless.

Jonm1010

Banned

Poor Communication and a perception of dishonesty have been the running themes of CDPR through this whole game development.

I honestly really thought they had learned their lesson about the importance of communicating in full and not leaving people hanging or without full explainatipn after the downgrade fiasco but now this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have received xp for a greyed out quest even if it was only 10exp.

This is what I got for greyed-out quests as well. This was before 1.03... I haven't played since as I'm waiting for the camera stutter fix.

Zakalwe

Banned
I mean, aside from the fix not giving you grey XP, what else would be the difference between the mod and the official fix?

Dynamic XP based on current level (is that even a thing)? I don't know. Doesn't seem like it's something that should take a particularly long time to trot out a fix for, given the severity of the problem.

That's very easy to say from our position, we have no way of knowing how deeply the bug is buried or how entwined with other parts of the code it is.

Too many people here saying "hotfix", "this is easy!" or similar when they probably have very little knowledge of game development or coding.

they said they were trying to give back the lost xp but they said no promises

The only official word I read on this was that XP was definitely /not/ being reimbursed.

Do you have link to an official word that says otherwise?

Top Bottom