• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
By the way Alien and Aliens are fucking awesome but that's besides the point

I ask again, where are the black iconic characters played by white people? They don't exist. This is almost entirely a one way street

With that being said, i'm going to bed. Merry Christmas or happy holidays if that's more appropriate in this case
We will agree on this point. Happy Christmas and Merry Holidays.

mcjmetroid

You want to know why ?

Because people like you are deadset on making everyone else be outraged about things that in the grandscheme of things that don't matter. Race changes/appearance changes have happened for ages for as long as books have been converted into movies.

Just like the SJW crowd that screams racist/sexist/homphobe/whateverphobe, you are doing the opposite saying SJW-agenda at everything. Instead of them screaming what SJWs scream, I now see people like you screaming "liberal/SJW agenda!" everytime a person of color/strong (or weak) woman is shown. I say this as someone who absolutely despises the overly-PC culture. Trust me.

I swear if the movie Alien or Aliens were released today, people like you would be screaming that it is SJW material. Seriously, you would.

What the fuck happened to people just assuming that maybe, just maybe, the creators are just trying to entertain us? Most entertainers are liberal, that is pretty much a fact. If I only limited myself to people who shared my viewpoint I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything.

I guess, I just don't really care about such things and I am much happier person because of it.
I've made that alien argument before actually.

I agree with everything you said here. However sometimes casting choices based on race is done to promote a film and I dont think this should be done.

The recent choice of Little mermaid as a black actress or the possibility of a female bond would be absolute attention seeking stuff.

Intentional race casting can sometimes come off as more racist than anything else.

To me there is a line.

Sygma

The changes to the actors dont bother me but then I can think of other things it does bother me in..

The little mermaid for one.

You know what I find overly weird ? outside of Amber Heard playing Mera and that girl playing Starfire in some DC series I can't remember the name of, it seems like redheads in general (from the original materials) are just totally unwanted / systematically replaced. I don't really care about who's playing the role but that one is very puzzling to me lol

The recent choice of Little mermaid as a black actress or the possibility of a female bond would be absolute attention seeking stuff.

What's bad with making a movie more enticing to a larger demographic ? if anything its easy money for the studio

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've made that alien argument before actually.

I agree with everything you said here. However sometimes casting choices based on race is done to promote a film and I dont think this should be done.

Intentional race casting can sometimes come off as more racist than anything else.

To me there is a line.
I don't know how I feel about the Little Mermaid, since it wasn't a film I was going to see I can't say it matters. I'd be curious if the original source material for the Little Mermaid was race neutral. Most people know the Disney Ariel and she was as white as white. LOL.

As for the female bond, I have to disagree, because (at least until I see the film and can judge for myself) IMO they are doing it the right way by introducing her next to the Bond we know instead of just replacing male white Bond out of the blue. IMO, that is the way you do diversity based characters, by making them strong and introducing them in a way that seems natural. I'll judge the film when it comes out since I love Bond and am very much hoping that Daniel Craig gets sent off on a high note.

Back to Superman, I am not opposed to a black Superman, but don't make him Clark Kent. Do what Marvel did with Miles Morales in Spiderman, build him up next to the Peter Parker we have always known.

A game that I think got diversity perfectly correct, was Red Dead Redemption 2. It had strong females and black characters without seeming agenda like.

Coflash

To me there is a line.

This is all it comes down to. It's interesting because if you happen to dislike a game, movie or whatever else, you'll typically hear something like "but it's subjective!" and that's the end of it. When it comes to casting choices in regards to race - you either accept it or... you end up with something resembling the past couple of pages in this thread.

And to be clear - I don't care about the show including people of different origins, I just think they could have handled it better than to simply insert various races in every scene. Why not expand on Tea & Vea? Why not create new stories? It's not as if it was an impossible task to include various races. We know the people of the world are as prejudiced/xenophobic as hell when it comes to anything that is different. It is a core part of conflict throughout the entirety of the books. They mock Geralt for being albino, for example, yet everyone else is fine? It doesn't seem relatable.

And Triss + Fringilla were awful choices. But in saying that - it's hard to go from reading the books and playing the games where I always imagined (and in the games, saw) these people as something else entirely.

Last edited:
What I believe casting wise;

If Geralt were casted as an asian, etc. Then I wouldn't agree with that. Military people, background village folk, people passing by....what does it matter in a fantasy setting?

I would not expect to see a plane flying through the sky, and if there were such a thing happening, there had better be an explanation.

In a fantasy world with magic, monsters, witches, wizards, dragons and everything else under the sun, various races appearing scattered throughout sparingly should not be the end of the world.

It becomes a bit corny modern US Fantasy Show and it makes the medieval europe inspired world less believable for me. and sadly the maker of the series told us the reasons for the diversity herself (made for 190countries, also white US did slavery) and if the rumours where true they wanted PoC for Ciris casting untill the shitstorm hit. She didn't say that the different races where spread through magic in that one event, she was clear it's for representations sake, for money, for inclusion and because slavery. Medieval towns with a population like modern New York or London, i like the game better in that regard.

I really wonder how triggered people would be if the next Witcher game had a non black Fringilla again. Will they call it whitewashing? They attacked CD project Red for not having enough black NPCs, or Kingdom Come Deliverence... so i guess it's pretty ok to critize the series for their changes which happend for PC reasons.

And no, i'm not boykotting it or tell people to hate it, I'm not a SJW. I'm still enjoying it with a few annoying hickups. I'm also fine with magicians being black in that world like Fringilla, they can move with magic and use portals, they are no normal townfolk that are bound to one place. Yen is Ok i guess, i got used to her, thinking of bollywood a few times but she fits the role somehow. Still i don't like the agenda that every fantasy or medieval world/city should represent modern western cities (funny enough cities in other areas in the world aren't that diverse )

Last edited:

Graciaus

I watched three episodes and enjoyed it. But I feel like it does a bad job of explaining anything for a newcomer. I played a little of the first two Witcher games so I wasn't completely lost.

BouncyFrag

The reviewers and takes that think this is full of male gaze nudity is ignoring that this show is full of female gaze shots. Women are watching this show for Cavill and he has plenty of shirtless shots and plenty of tight pants shots. On top of that, the examining scars thing is very much female gaze and the show is full of girls looking at Geralt's scars. Not to mention that the long hair and big shouldered man thing is pretty spot on for a steamy romance cover.
My sister when I told her Cavil takes his shirt off all the time in the show:
8-C993-B41-DB13-45-AD-882-D-CFDC3-C0379-B3.gif

I don’t think she could handle this:
oPjmf3f7u8hcRU9WiiWvTn-320-80.jpg

Jon Neu

Banned
You want to know why ?

Because people like you are deadset on making everyone else be outraged about things that in the grandscheme of things that don't matter. Race changes/appearance changes have happened for ages for as long as books have been converted into movies.

Just like the SJW crowd that screams racist/sexist/homphobe/whateverphobe, you are doing the opposite saying SJW-agenda at everything. Instead of them screaming what SJWs scream, I now see people like you screaming "liberal/SJW agenda!" everytime a person of color/strong (or weak) woman is shown. I say this as someone who absolutely despises the overly-PC culture. Trust me.

I swear if the movie Alien or Aliens were released today, people like you would be screaming that it is SJW material. Seriously, you would.

What the fuck happened to people just assuming that maybe, just maybe, the creators are just trying to entertain us? Most entertainers are liberal, that is pretty much a fact. If I only limited myself to people who shared my viewpoint I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything.

I guess, I just don't really care about such things and I am much happier person because of it.

Funny, you say those things don't matter, yet you can't stop talking about them and obviously defending the “not important” SJW fantasies being infused in every form of media.

In every thread, there's always some SJW apologist trying to frame people who are fed up with political indoctrination in every form of cultural media as “just as bad as SJW”.

I'ts always the same type of people though.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
You clearly have issues with anyone with darker skin

And this extreme thinking is the point, this is what the political indoctrination is trying to do with all the propaganda being shoved down people's throats in every type of medium.

Now, if you don't like obvious political indoctrination, then you are a racist, because the political indoctrination says so. If you don't like tokenism and identity politics, you're a racist, if you don't like the female ghostbusters, you're sexist.

If you don't like yet another medieval european world being forcefully “diversified” for the self masturbation of the ego of the political fantasies of some extreme leftist americans, then you are a racist.

And this is the type of people that always try to frame “both sides” as equally bad, but they are already spouting the propaganda, the “logical” way of thinking and the word of the regressive side.

JoduanER2

Absolutely not, but well this shows has people of color when theres not a single one in the game or book because of this retarded "diversity" quota so who cares i guess.

"I want to be as faithful as possible to the books and games" "Ok, but there has to be black and LGBT representation, and a third of the male characters need to be women now" "But why?" "Because if we dont we are racist and misogynists"... Crazy world.

Shmunter

Watched 2eps. Surprised how TV it all feels, was expecting a higher cinematic bar.

Will persevere to see if it clicks.

Genx3

I hope the show has a lot of nudity. I need some crazy sex like my Geralt had.

Don't leave out the unicorn!
#stuffyoucantsayonResetEra

There's already too much sex. I think it kind of ruins it. The sex Seems forced instead of letting the story unfold and chemistry between characters build.

Whitecrow

Banned
It makes a world of difference knowing a little about the lore and the world and not.

I'm rewatching it just after the first run, and I'm enjoying it even more.

Genx3

Too bad everything else is a pile of crap.

Yea the acting and script writing is definitely poor.
Its great for people that have an attachment to the games or books but for those without any previous engagement it sucks.
I give it a mediocre 5 from 1 - 10.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There's already too much sex. I think it kind of ruins it. The sex Seems forced instead of letting the story unfold and chemistry between characters build.
My Geralt in Witcher 3 had plenty of chemistry with the brothel girls I paid for.

If the show can match that, we’re good. 🤗

ruvikx

Banned
And this extreme thinking is the point, this is what the political indoctrination is trying to do with all the propaganda being shoved down people's throats in every type of medium.

Now, if you don't like obvious political indoctrination, then you are a racist, because the political indoctrination says so. If you don't like tokenism and identity politics, you're a racist, if you don't like the female ghostbusters, you're sexist.

If you don't like yet another medieval european world being forcefully “diversified” for the self masturbation of the ego of the political fantasies of some extreme leftist americans, then you are a racist.

And this is the type of people that always try to frame “both sides” as equally bad, but they are already spouting the propaganda, the “logical” way of thinking and the word of the regressive side.

If a white actor is inserted into a black role, they'll scream 'racism'. If white people complain that a black actor is given a white character role, they scream 'racism'. The one common denominator is they hate white people. End of.

I don't even debate with these people, i.e. for them, "diversity" is about replacing whites & pretending they're morally virteous for doings so. Their stance is all bullshit.

iNvid02

I’ve seen that image of the writers and casting people going around that some guy got enraged about (they were all female and had that SJW vibe 😂)

That explained a lot of the choices in the show regarding female characters and minority actors

While I have no issue with minority characters being part of the universe or the queen being such an over the top empowered female lead (she killed it acting wise), stuff like changing a major character like Triss to some random black girl are dumb and stand out in a wrong way as a fan of the books and games

This type of shoehorning of political agendas just stands out glaringly, detracts from the enjoyment of the show because you end up thinking about it when it shouldn’t even matter, and just serves to remind me that these SJW fuckers will never be satisfied and should be on a tight leash else they will go all out if permitted

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Just finished the season.

Really enjoyed it a lot. Can’t wait for more!

His sword spins seem ripped straight out of the game...

G9hGta.gif

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Funny, you say those things don't matter, yet you can't stop talking about them and obviously defending the “not important” SJW fantasies being infused in every form of media.

In every thread, there's always some SJW apologist trying to frame people who are fed up with political indoctrination in every form of cultural media as “just as bad as SJW”.

I'ts always the same type of people though.
It's amazing how much you guys have come to embrace being the victim.

FeldMonster

I just started watching the Witcher show. I have never played any of the games, so I have no pre-existing affinity or knowledge.

I found the first episode both confusing and super boring. I couldn't stand it after about 20-30 minutes. Does it get any more interesting?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This type of shoehorning of political agendas just stands out glaringly, detracts from the enjoyment of the show because you end up thinking about it when it shouldn’t even matter, and just serves to remind me that these SJW fuckers will never be satisfied and should be on a tight leash else they will go all out if permitted

That to me is the true tragedy and why I feel sorry for people like you. When you reach that point when you are unable to watch something because you are worried about a political agenda then the leftists have won.

But here is what is crazy, many of these things have existed in movies for many many many years. It's strange that people have gotten so focused on them. You could literally make any argument that any movie/series has agenda driven to one side or the other.

For the record, I am not saying agenda driven stuff doesn't exist. Not at all. It does exist and has always existed.

My perfect example would be the movie Aliens. If that came out today it would be called nothing but Feminist/SJW propaganda.

So many of you have reached a place where you aren't happy unless you are outraged by something.

Last edited:

Coflash

My perfect example would be the movie Aliens. If that came out today it would be called nothing but Feminist/SJW propaganda.

What is this based on? You've taken a perfectly good movie with a great female protagonist and created a strawman out of thin air. And considering how few people (if anyone?) had an issue with a female lead in Alien/s, 30 years ago, it sounds like you're proving the opposite of what you're trying to suggest as things were never this blatant. You can't have it both ways.

Sigourney Weaver was also in Ghostbusters. She was excellent in that as well. It's an IP that existed in the old world and the new, yet the Ghostbusters of 2016 had a very obvious aura surrounding it. The director, actors, actresses (and so on) will even attest to it.

Pretending these are the same sort of things is embarrassing. There are very obvious agendas behind a lot of shows and video games these days. I wouldn't call The Witcher a huge offender in comparison, but I will say that given the source material, the games did a far better job of representing the world contained within the books.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I just started watching the Witcher show. I have never played any of the games, so I have no pre-existing affinity or knowledge.

I found the first episode both confusing and super boring. I couldn't stand it after about 20-30 minutes. Does it get any more interesting?
You are not the target audience at all, you're going to hate it. The show was made for fans of the books and games, and goes to great lengths to not explain the lore and to confuse newcomers with unexplained time skips. The only reason I knew what was going on was because I'd read the books.

ruvikx

Banned

No. Aliens empowers its male characters, even Hudson i.e. who goes on a personal hero journey of sorts from arrogant wisecracking joker to panicking "this can't be happening man!" wimp ("yeah, right man, Bishop should go. Good idea") finally to become a hero & die with honor i.e. "die motherfuckers!!!" as he blasted the hell out of the Aliens.

Netflix Witcher meanwhile takes a sexy white sorcerous with red hair & turns her into an ugly random black woman who looks like she'd be more comfortable working for US postal service. It's done on purpose. Some might choose to bury their head in the sand & ignore the insult, whilst some of us don't.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Obviously not. It's done every day in this day and age. Your question is missing the point.

...better question: is it a good idea to cast a minority as an established character that isn't?
It depends. If it’s a main/essential character then it can be an issue. If Geralt had been cast by say Kal Penn then yes it would be absurd.

Changing Superman to be black is clearly ridiculous as it was changing Johnny Storm in the awful Fantastic Four reboot. In both instances Michael B Jordan (killmonger) was involved.
In the case of Witcher 3 I wasn’t bothered by it. Anna Shaffer as Triss won me over.

However it was out of place in the tribe that saved Ciri to have mixed races.

Last edited:

Tumle

lets hit two birds with one stone here.
I think they should cancel the show, with all these different minorities from all over the world and reshoot it as close to the material that it references. It should be an all Polish cast, all white and in the native Polish tongue.

the anti-SJW will get the all white cast that they dream off and SJW will get the minority representation.

after all, it's all about keeping the integrity of the work of art, and not about American Block politics right?

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

lets hit two birds with one stone here.
I think they should cancel the show, with all these different minorities from all over the world and reshoot it as close to the material that it references. It should be an all Polish cast, all white and in the native Polish tongue.

the anti-SJW will get the all white cast that dream off and SJW will get the minority representation.

after all, it's all about keeping the integrity of the work of art, and not about American Block politics right?

The phrase is "feeding two birds with one stone". Quite frankly, your endorsement of animal cruelty is disgusting and has no place here. You should feel ashamed.

Also your post is a bit shit but that's neither here nor there. Stop hating animals. And ginger people.

Just give me shani with red short hair :p

Show is pretty good so far, i'm at 4ep. The only thing bothering me sometimes is that cgi feels off and scenery looks cheap.

Denton

Its great for people that have an attachment to the games or books but for those without any previous engagement it sucks.

Nah. It is great for people who played the games and did not read the books. That is a huuuuge group of people so no wonder the show is successful.
But people like me who grew up with the books are dismayed at how much they butchered the source material.

VertigoOA

Banned
Yennefer is hot. Not hottest of all time like game Yennefer but I love her regardless. Decent character too; she’s likable.

Geralt’s exchanges with Jaspier (dandelion) and Roach are great. I did laugh when they started singing the song in the bar...

Came out the same day as Star Wars yet doesn’t disappoint and meets expectations without offending you.

Of course they got me to play the game again...

It actually does fantasy. Doesn’t hide from it or make you wait. It’s just always there. I appreciate that bit of color to the show.

the meta commentary about Fans complaining about their waifus. Like, lol .... hilarious in its own way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom