• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

MagnesG

Banned
Also Geralt, Yen had long met, at least around 10 years before Ciri was even born. Both had aged nearing 100 years old when the Slaughter of Cintra occurred and a 10 year old Ciri began her journey and escaped. Jaskier was in the mid 30s and Vesemir on his 300s.

Even with all the drama and shit I'm still interested on knowing how they would tie all these events up. Maybe it's the worldbuilding that they want focus on instead of those pre Ciri saga short stories.

imsosleepy

They said they wanted to focus on all 3 characters seperatly first and see their own journeys before they get together and meet and interact with each other. I think that is going to play out nicely. Cant wait

Really hope this is going to become a smashing hit for netflix and we get many season

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, though in the books not much was said directly. That's why what they are doing is quite different. In the books you are meeting yennefer, generally, looking through Geralt's eyes when they meet.

Thanks! I've still got to get around to reading some of the books.

Drake

Looking forward to this. I guess we'll see if the show runner ruined it. I do like Cavill though, so he may be the saving grace here

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to this. I guess we'll see if the show runner ruined it. I do like Cavill though, so he may be the saving grace here

I've been enjoying a lot of the video that have been coming out in promotion for The Witcher. Dude is a total gamer and you can tell he really likes The Witcher. I hope that translates to him getting into the Geralt character even better and delivering some awesome performances.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Very excited about this. Good thing its a weekend. Lets watch this on full HDR dolby vision glory baby!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Hollywood Reporter's review:

Basically says they thought it's average at best. Said when it takes itself seriously it's bad, but when it doesn't, it's convoluted but fun.

Gonna watch it this weekend.

down 2 orth

Just finished watching the first episode. Good special effects, and great action scenes. The lore and story are pretty good too. It seems like some reviewers might be full of shit as per usual. Not sure how non-fans of the game or book series will receive it, but it's definitely going to get at least some love from GAF.

MadYarpen

We will see, the reviews are mixed - but I think this could be expected with this type of the show.

I still generally have high hopes, probably wil start watching this weekend.

The books deserve good treatment FFS.

Just finished watching the first episode. Good special effects, and great action scenes. The lore and story are pretty good too. It seems like some reviewers might be full of shit as per usual. Not sure how non-fans of the game or book series will receive it, but it's definitely going to get at least some love from GAF.

This has got me hype. Going to check this out soon

down 2 orth

I watched 1st episode and for me it was 8/10.
Hope next episodes will be only better and better

Yeah, I was thinking an 8/10 as well. I'm glad the acting and directing improve in the second episode, I guess they had to sort some kinks out of the pilot or whatnot.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Stayed up until 4am Eastern to get the first episode in. Totally.Worth.It. What a fantastic way to start off an episode btw! :messenger_winking:

Everything so far is top notch. Cavill as Geralt nails the role. Roach...come on it's Roach!! :messenger_beaming: The fight scenes/swordplay, special
effects, brutality (Game of Thrones levels of graphic violence :messenger_sunglasses:) acting, special effects, costumes/set designs are all fantastic as well.

P.S. Anyone still having Game of Thrones withdrawals should check this out.... :messenger_horns:

down 2 orth

Ep. 2 was the goods. Less action, but quality drama. Won't try to speak for anyone else, but I'm enjoying this on the same lines as the first couple episodes of Game of Thrones.

GreyHorace

That was a solid first episode. I'm willing to admit that they've adapted the material well. I'll watch the rest to see if the series as a whole lives up to what I saw here. But still, it's a promising start. I give it an 8/10.

Things I like:

- Henry Cavill is Geralt of Rivia. He completely nails the character. From the voice (which is very similar to Doug Cockle's), the mannerisms, the dry sardonic humor and of course, the speed and grace with which Geralt can dispatch fools with a sword.
- Emma Appleton as Renfri. She played the part of a fallen princess turned killer well. I liked her chemistry with Cavill which makes their eventual duel at the end all the more tragic.
- Freya Allen was great as Ciri. She nailed the emotional scenes with Jodhi May's Calanthe and captured the image of a young frightened princess out of her depth. Since she's a major part of this season I wonder how she'll portray Ciri's character development as she goes on this journey.
- The performances of the supporting cast were all good. Particularly Jodhi May as Queen Calanthe and Lars Mikkelsen as Stregobor.
- Adapting The Lesser Evil. Among all the Witcher short stories that Andrzej Sapkowski wrote, this was the one that perfectly captures the themes of the series as a whole. It was wise of the showrunners to adapt this for the pilot. It's perfect for introducing new audiences to the world of The Witcher.
- The Slaughter of Cintra. Damn, that was pretty brutal. For a background event that was only mentioned in passing in the books, that was way more horrifying than I could imagine.
- The fight choreography is fantastic. The show makes it clear why witchers are feared and hated by ordinary folk. The scene where Geralt slaughters Renfri's goons leaves no doubt as to why he earned the nickname 'The Butcher of Blaviken,'
- The music was really good. Very similar in style to the 3rd game's soundtrack.

Things I dislike:

- The multi-ethnic Nothern Kingdoms. Alright, let's just get this out of the way. This is really more of a nitpick, but I don't like that they've inserted black people amongst the sea of white Nothern people. This world already has established lands where dark skinned people reside (Zerrikania, Ofeir), why do the Nothern Kingdoms suddenly have an influx of black folks wandering around? I can understand if Nilfgaard had a bunch of residents who were dark skinned, but not the xenophobic and racist North.
- Interspersing Ciri's story with Geralt's. I really don't want the show to focus on Ciri all that much this early on. Let's stay with Geralt for a bit and leave the world changing bits like the Slaughter of Cintra later on.
- Some really dodgy CG backgrounds. The swamp where Geralt fights the kikimora looked bleakly grey and dodgy as hell. As was the battlefield where Cintra fought Nilfgaard.

A couple of stumbles, but otherwise a solid start for the show.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Time to see bu myself if this is good or not, i like white haired superman, nudes and gore so i'm probably gonna like this one :ROFLMAO:

Pirog123

Banned
In books Zerrikania is where blonde haired people live, nothing about them being darkskinned, and ophir is some legandary land at the end of the world.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That was a solid first episode. I'm willing to admit that they've adapted the material well. I'll watch the rest to see if the series as a whole lives up to what I saw here. But still, it's a promising start. I give it an 8/10.

Things I like:

- Henry Cavill is Geralt of Rivia. He completely nails the character. From the voice (which is very similar to Doug Cockle's), the mannerisms, the dry sardonic humor and of course, the speed and grace with which Geralt can dispatch fools with a sword.
- Emma Appleton as Renfri. She played the part of a fallen princess turned killer well. I liked her chemistry with Cavill which makes their eventual duel at the end all the more tragic.
- Freya Allen was great as Ciri. She nailed the emotional scenes with Jodhi May's Calanthe and captured the image of a young frightened princess out of her depth. Since she's a major part of this season I wonder how she'll portray Ciri's character development as she goes on this journey.
- The performances of the supporting cast were all good. Particularly Jodhi May as Queen Calanthe and Lars Mikkelsen as Stregobor.
- Adapting The Lesser Evil. Among all the Witcher short stories that Andrzej Sapkowski wrote, this was the one that perfectly captures the themes of the series as a whole. It was wise of the showrunners to adapt this for the pilot. It's perfect for introducing new audiences to the world of The Witcher.
- The Slaughter of Cintra. Damn, that was pretty brutal. For a background event that was only mentioned in passing in the books, that was way more horrifying than I could imagine.
- The fight choreography is fantastic. The show makes it clear why witchers are feared and hated by ordinary folk. The scene where Geralt slaughters Renfri's goons leaves no doubt as to why he earned the nickname 'The Butcher of Blaviken,'
- The music was really good. Very similar in style to the 3rd game's soundtrack.

Things I dislike:

- The multi-ethnic Nothern Kingdoms. Alright, let's just get this out of the way. This is really more of a nitpick, but I don't like that they've inserted black people amongst the sea of white Nothern people. This world already has established lands where dark skinned people reside (Zerrikania, Ofeir), why do the Nothern Kingdoms suddenly have an influx of black folks wandering around? I can understand if Nilfgaard had a bunch of residents who were dark skinned, but not the xenophobic and racist North.
- Interspersing Ciri's story with Geralt's. I really don't want the show to focus on Ciri all that much this early on. Let's stay with Geralt for a bit and leave the world changing bits like the Slaughter of Cintra later on.
- Some really dodgy CG backgrounds. The swamp where Geralt fights the kikimora looked bleakly grey and dodgy as hell. As was the battlefield where Cintra fought Nilfgaard.

A couple of stumbles, but otherwise a solid start for the show.
I agree that the pleasant shock was Freya Allen. She was outstanding in the first episode and I truly believed I was seeing Ciri. Although, I didn't like her as much as I liked kid Ciri in Witcher 3. She was adorable.
400px-Witcher3CiriChild.jpg

Psykodad

Banned
Never played Witcher 1 or 2 (I own PS) and don't like the Witcher 3 at all, but the series is pretty awesome.

Got kinda confused for a bit up to ep 4 though. Lol

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
watched episode 1, really liked it so :)

don't know anything about the witcher series so coming in fresh, feel sorry for that weird-looking woman in episode 2, I got a feeling she wont be looking all hunched and funny for long.

Nydus

yes the reviews i saw went on about it being hard to follow, and choppy, but I didn't think that at all. I don't know how you can follow Game of Thrones and think this is hard to keep up with... getting tired of reviewers
Dunno. I just watched the first episode and some stuff was hard to follow. Or it made so little sense that I was looking for things that weren't really there. The first episode was okish. Story bleh, action really nice, dialog was a mixed bag. Normally I would drop a show by this point, but it has something special that makes me want to watch more despite its flaws. So here's hoping that the later episodes can overcome the flaws. :messenger_ok:

Edit: never red the books and only played halfway Witcher 1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom