• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witches: Backlash over film's portrayal of limb impairments

Stuart360

A new film version of Roald Dahl's novel The Witches has been criticised for its depictions of limb difference.
The film, which stars Anne Hathaway, features evil characters who have distinct hand and feet impairments.
Comedian Alex Brooker, who has hand and arm impairments, told the BBC that the images "jarred quite a lot" and could "add to the stigma" around disability.
Film studio Warner Bros said it was "deeply saddened" to learn the movie "could upset people with disabilities".
In a statement, the company said: "It was never the intention for viewers to feel that the fantastical, non-human creatures were meant to represent them".
Directed by Robert Zemeckis, The Witches is the second big-screen version of Dahl's novel about disguised witches plotting to turn children into mice.
In the original book, the witches are described as having "thin curvy claws" instead of fingernails, and feet that "have square ends with no toes on them at all".

'What sort of message does this give?'
In the new film, Anne Hathaway's Grand High Witch and others are revealed to have three elongated fingers on each hand.
A trailer for the film also features a lesson on "how to identify witches" that highlights their "claws" and lack of toes.
The Witches had originally been set for a cinema release but, following the Covid-19 pandemic, was distributed on digital platforms last month. Shortly afterwards, the hashtag #NotAWitch began trending on social media.
Brooker said that when he first watched the film he was expecting "something very different" beneath the witches' gloves.
"It clearly looked like they'd removed some of the fingers," he told BBC reporter Matt Graveling. "I was like, 'I'm not sure that's on'.
"What sort of message does this give? To me It sends out a message that we should be scared of people with missing fingers.
"A lot of kids and adults have that - that's a life people live. It doesn't need to add to the stigma."

Actress and TV presenter Grace Mandeville said she was "really disappointed with the decision to give the villains in the movie a disability for absolutely no reason other than to make the character seem scarier".
She told BBC News: "The truth is children will watch this movie and some will then be scared of people that have limb impairments or ectrodactyly [a split hand] thanks to this film.
"I thought we were moving forward in this industry, but once again a movie has used scars and a disability to create a scary character."
She added: "I'm aware that this is just a movie to some people, but this affects the perception of disabled people more than you'll realise.
"I dread to think how a class of children would react to a new classmate who has a scar or a limb impairment after they've all watched this film."

UK Paralympic swimmer and Para-triathlete Claire Cashmore was among the others who warned that the film could have a negative effect.
Cashmore, who was born without a left forearm, said images of Hathaway's character had left her "very confused/upset", and suggested Warner Bros should have sought feedback before making the film.
"We want disabilities to be normalised and be represented in a positive light rather than [be] associated with being a scary, evil witch," she wrote on Instagram.

British Paralympic swimmer Amy Marren also criticised the film for showing "something that makes a person different" in a scary or monstrous light.
Former Coronation Street actress Melissa Johns, who was recently seen in BBC One drama Life, said "using disability as a costume and to highlight a character as a 'baddie'" was "not what we need".
The charity Reach has also criticised the film, saying it had left "members of the upper limb difference community... appalled and devastated".
In its statement, Warner Bros said it had "worked with designers and artists to come up with a new interpretation of the cat-like claws that are described in the book".

r3zyurh.gif

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
What is there to even say anymore? This discussion has been in rotation for most of the decade, and we hit the same conclusions every time.

I will just continue to repeat that listening to the crazy, outraged people that see offense in everything, is not something anyone in charge should waste their time with. Don’t say anything (engagement is the goal for trolls) and watch this disappear for the next controversy tomorrow.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
A trailer for the film also features a lesson on "how to identify witches" that highlights their "claws" and lack of toes.
yeah this is some horrific dehumanizing bullshit.

gonna guess the "good witches" are all "normal" people with their limbs. because it's good to teach kids that if someone looks different they are inherently an evil person?

fwiw my best friend growing up was born with 3 fingers on her hand. she could play amazing piano in spite of that.

Anne Hathaway pretending to be disfigured and using that as evidence she is a witch? that is some disabaphobic bullshit.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned

gonna guess the "good witches" are all "normal" people with their limbs. because it's good to teach kids that if someone looks different they are inherently an evil person?

fwiw my best friend growing up was born with 3 fingers on her hand. she could play amazing piano in spite of that.

Anne Hathaway pretending to be disfigured and using that as evidence she is a witch? that is some disabaphobic bullshit.
Oh shut the fuck up.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I haven't seen the film, but the reaction seems a little over the top from the information presented above.

Maybe we just need to take more consideration when making new films, TV shows or games etc?

Mato

Um that plot point was part of the original book?

Please let that be sarcasm.

You’re not being serious, right? I can’t tell anymore.

But good bloke Harry Potter had a facial scar.

But good chick Artemis had a facial birthmark.

People project and razor focus on what they want to interpret then get on their soapbox. News at eleven.

Omg it's not like people can tell the difference between fucking fantasy and reality. Disabled people in the media and news already have a shit ton of inspiring POSITIVE stories of disabled people overcoming adversity so you are free to share those anytime you wish since it is so personal to you. Stop imposing rules on art and free expression.

If this is the new standard I assume all evil characters that look different are out? No witch noses, crooked backs, no short characters or creatures, that's a disability too. How about psychotic or manic villains? Can't have something making light of mental illness. Villains can now only look and behave like regular people. How the hell do you even make a movie in 2020?

GV82

What next? are they gonna fucking cancel Jason Voorhees next over his disabilities too, fuck that.

Man fuck modern whiney audiences, they are gross.

Fuck Off as if they don’t have better things in the real world to complain about, is that the problem modern audiences can’t distinguish between reality and fantasy anymore? so they feel personally attacked.

gRLFWx6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS
Man, they virtue signalled so hard with this movie, and of course it still wasn't enough.

They race swapped the leads to be black, added in an entirely new main character, not in the book, to have the obligatory 'strong female character', and they still get torn to shreds by these always offended nutters.

Last edited:

JonSnowball

What next? are they gonna fucking cancel Jason Voorhees next over his disabilities too, fuck that.

Man fuck modern whiney audiences, they are gross.

Fuck Off as if they don’t have better things in the real world to complain about, is that the problem modern audiences can’t distinguish between reality and fantasy anymore? so they feel personally attacked.

How ignorant are you to willfully dismiss the struggle of the disadvantaged in our World. We as a collective must strive towards equality for all and respect to none.

It's borderline offensive that you trivialize the struggle of Jason Voorhees, his internal pain and torment manifested in the form of violent outbursts. Personally I find nothing amusing about that subject and feel utterly disgusted you'd so much as use him as an example.

h10XV8y.jpg

GeorgPrime

Banned

A new film version of Roald Dahl's novel The Witches has been criticised for its depictions of limb difference.
The film, which stars Anne Hathaway, features evil characters who have distinct hand and feet impairments.
Comedian Alex Brooker, who has hand and arm impairments, told the BBC that the images "jarred quite a lot" and could "add to the stigma" around disability.
Film studio Warner Bros said it was "deeply saddened" to learn the movie "could upset people with disabilities".
In a statement, the company said: "It was never the intention for viewers to feel that the fantastical, non-human creatures were meant to represent them".
Directed by Robert Zemeckis, The Witches is the second big-screen version of Dahl's novel about disguised witches plotting to turn children into mice.
In the original book, the witches are described as having "thin curvy claws" instead of fingernails, and feet that "have square ends with no toes on them at all".

'What sort of message does this give?'
In the new film, Anne Hathaway's Grand High Witch and others are revealed to have three elongated fingers on each hand.
The Witches had originally been set for a cinema release but, following the Covid-19 pandemic, was distributed on digital platforms last month. Shortly afterwards, the hashtag #NotAWitch began trending on social media.
Brooker said that when he first watched the film he was expecting "something very different" beneath the witches' gloves.
"It clearly looked like they'd removed some of the fingers," he told BBC reporter Matt Graveling. "I was like, 'I'm not sure that's on'.
"What sort of message does this give? To me It sends out a message that we should be scared of people with missing fingers.
"A lot of kids and adults have that - that's a life people live. It doesn't need to add to the stigma."

Actress and TV presenter Grace Mandeville said she was "really disappointed with the decision to give the villains in the movie a disability for absolutely no reason other than to make the character seem scarier".
She told BBC News: "The truth is children will watch this movie and some will then be scared of people that have limb impairments or ectrodactyly [a split hand] thanks to this film.
"I thought we were moving forward in this industry, but once again a movie has used scars and a disability to create a scary character."
She added: "I'm aware that this is just a movie to some people, but this affects the perception of disabled people more than you'll realise.
"I dread to think how a class of children would react to a new classmate who has a scar or a limb impairment after they've all watched this film."

UK Paralympic swimmer and Para-triathlete Claire Cashmore was among the others who warned that the film could have a negative effect.
Cashmore, who was born without a left forearm, said images of Hathaway's character had left her "very confused/upset", and suggested Warner Bros should have sought feedback before making the film.
"We want disabilities to be normalised and be represented in a positive light rather than [be] associated with being a scary, evil witch," she wrote on Instagram.

British Paralympic swimmer Amy Marren also criticised the film for showing "something that makes a person different" in a scary or monstrous light.
Former Coronation Street actress Melissa Johns, who was recently seen in BBC One drama Life, said "using disability as a costume and to highlight a character as a 'baddie'" was "not what we need".
The charity Reach has also criticised the film, saying it had left "members of the upper limb difference community... appalled and devastated".
In its statement, Warner Bros said it had "worked with designers and artists to come up with a new interpretation of the cat-like claws that are described in the book".

r3zyurh.gif

Just stop making movies. Get the whole industry unemployed and then let it rest some years until every idiot keeps shutting the fuck up.

Afterwards just blame the offended idiots that complain about every little thing.

Then restart everything and do real movies again without stupid offending limitations.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I'm assuming this is all bullshit, right? Cause no one could possibly be offended by such crap, yeah? I mean, where does it end? Fuck me...

Stuart360

I'm assuming this is all bullshit, right? Cause no one could possibly be offended by such crap, yeah? I mean, where does it end? Fuck me...
I hate the way so much entertainment has to refer to checklists of what they can and cant do, before making a film, a game, a tv show, etc.
Who wants to live like this?, whatever happened to 'oh you're offended?, and?'.
We are such pussies now as a human race.

MacReady13

I hate the way so much entertainment has to refer to checklists of what they can and cant do, before making a film, a game, a tv show, etc.
Who wants to live like this?, whatever happened to 'oh you're offended?, and?'.
We are such pussies now as a human race.

Exactly right. Why can't people just stop thinking everything is offensive? I heard so many times as a child "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me". I guess these fucksticks never got that memo...

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wonder when we are going to find the concept of an evil villian, murderer, or any sort of antagonist too offensive to use?

Also why has the Bible not been canceled yet?

Stuart360

I wonder when we are going to find the concept of an evil villian, murderer, or any sort of antagonist too offensive to use?

Also why has the Bible not been canceled yet?
There was that one review of Rambo Last Blood that said the film painted cartels in a bad light, and they specifically said cartels, not Mexicans lol.
The world is going mad.
The same guy would probably have a heart attack if he saw vids of what cartels are actually like

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Omg it's not like people can tell the difference between fucking fantasy and reality. Disabled people in the media and news already have a shit ton of inspiring POSITIVE stories of disabled people overcoming adversity so you are free to share those anytime you wish since it is so personal to you. Stop imposing rules on art and free expression.
lol "art and free expression" this is a HBO remake of a book that has already been made into a movie, made by Robert Zemeckis, who apparently is just going to remake shit until oblivion. PLEASE spare me with the "art and free expression" schtick. this is Hollywood popcorn trash.

as for "stop imposing rules", i don't know why you said that. what rule am i imposing? i am criticizing this movie on a message board and pointing out that it is mean spirited. i am not the head of programming at HBO. i am not Anne Hathaway's agent. chill the fuck out. the 5 megaproducers helming this all have infinitely more power and reach than i ever will. why are you defending these mega millionaires? lol

also, for little kids, it is very true that they can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality. if kids see someone with a disability, and the first time they ever see a person like that, it is as an evil scary villain in a movie, you are damn right it alters their perception. and this movie is being marketed to little kids.
The film collaborated with a Roblox game named "Islands" for a limited-time Halloween event. It features a boss battle with the Grand High Witch, the main antagonist of the film.
the boss battle is you fighting this person! kids are introduced to this disabled person through a video game where they fight them. can it possibly get any more dehumanizing?

maybe it's just me. i was disabled as a young child and got shit for it. i also knew a lot of disabled kids growing up. so it sucks when a hugely popular movie comes out that shits on people like us, then when you speak out about it, people like you tell us to shut up. i don't give a shit about positive stories. you can't force me to talk about something unrelated to this topic prove my devotion to disabled rights. what a weird dodge? this thread is about this movie, which is trading on a negative stereotype. i can and will speak out about it.

i'm not organizing a campaign. i'm not making threads about the trend of disabaphobia in pop culture. i don't even use Twitter. so lighten the fuck up. if a bunch of millionaire Hollywood producers can all pool their money together making fun of disfigured people then i can complain about it on the internet.

Last edited:
lol "art and free expression" this is a HBO remake of a book that has already been made into a movie, made by Robert Zemeckis, who apparently is just going to remake shit until oblivion. PLEASE spare me with the "art and free expression" schtick. this is Hollywood popcorn trash.

as for "stop imposing rules", i don't know why you said that. what rule am i imposing? i am criticizing this movie on a message board and pointing out that it is mean spirited. i am not the head of programming at HBO. i am not Anne Hathaway's agent. chill the fuck out. the 5 megaproducers helming this all have infinitely more power and reach than i ever will. why are you defending these mega millionaires? lol

also, for little kids, it is very true that they can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality. if kids see someone with a disability, and the first time they ever see a person like that, it is as an evil scary villain in a movie, you are damn right it alters their perception. and this movie is being marketed to little kids.

the boss battle is you fighting this person! kids are introduced to this disabled person through a video game where they fight them. can it possibly get any more dehumanizing?

maybe it's just me. i was disabled as a young child and got shit for it. i also knew a lot of disabled kids growing up. so it sucks when a hugely popular movie comes out that shits on people like us, then when you speak out about it, people like you tell us to shut up. i don't give a shit about positive stories. you can't force me to talk about something unrelated to this topic prove my devotion to disabled rights. what a weird dodge? this thread is about this movie, which is trading on a negative stereotype. i can and will speak out about it.

i'm not organizing a campaign. i'm not making threads about this. i don't even use Twitter. lighten the fuck up. if a bunch of millionaire Hollywood producers can all pool their money together making fun of disfigured people then i can complain about it on the internet.

The movie is not "shitting on you" for being disabled and it honestly sounds like you are the one being more emotional about it. And yes art and free expression are protected under fair use and freedom of speech in the United of States so I will always fight for that too as the growing culture in the west is to censor media because their feelings got hurt. The story is centered around witches which is FANTASY not reality and yes absolutely kids can tell the difference between them and if they can't its up to the parents to teach them the difference and proper morals to treat different people appropriately. Kids are not that stupid as you think they are man. You and others being bullied is unfortunate and Im sorry you had that experience but that dose not mean a evil disfigured character is throwing shade at you personally. Remember that movie 300 where that deformed man betrayed the spartans? Do you view that as "shitting on disabled people" too? People who are disfigured are allowed to be evil just as any other group on this earth.

A highlight quote of THIS trailer is "It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like as long as somebody loves you".

As for you opinions, yes you absolutely have a right to say them as do I saying that I think you are taking this WAY to literal as a way to shame disabled people which I WILL NEVER BE FOR.

Last edited:

i'm not organizing a campaign. i'm not making threads about the trend of disabaphobia in pop culture. i don't even use Twitter. so lighten the fuck up. if a bunch of millionaire Hollywood producers can all pool their money together making fun of disfigured people then i can complain about it on the internet.
I'm sorry you got bullied as a kid for being different. So did I. So did a huge number of kids, be they disabled, too good at sports, ginger, tall, short, fat, thin, smart, dumb, a different colour, too poor, too rich or sometimes just for no reason at all.

Kids do not need to be taught to be arseholes. They just are, because when you get down to it, we're still just apes, and those survival instincts that cause this behaviour can't just be turned off.

You have to teach children not to be gits. And we do. There's a reason people like this woman are being listened to because they're offended at a children's movie. There are laws, and there is social ostracisation that punish those that don't learn that it's unacceptable.

However those base instincts, that fear of the different, disfigured, the monstrous, those fears don't go away.

Using those fears to portray literally inhuman monsters in fiction, isn't causing anyone to hate or fear the disabled. People have either been taught not to do that or they haven't. The fear and disgust exist though, and banning all body horror because you think it is, is just stupid and selfish.

I mean I'm English, and generally quite 'posh' sounding. I constantly see American movies using well spoken British actors as the villains, sometimes monsters, almost always irredeemable evil, but I don't think that's making people think people like me are evil.

It's just rhat an elequant British accent sounds well educated and intelligent, and our traditional cultural norms make us emotionally reserved and stoic, both traits, particularly amplified by the difference in American society, that seem sociopathic, scheming and duplicitous.

People like me should be used in American movies as villains, because it makes stories flow better and demonstrates a competent understanding of human nature on the part of the movie makers.

In the same way, filmmakers should use abnormal human visages to take advantage of the normal human fear of body horror. It's the root of all monsters infact.

If you're getting offended at that, then you're just getting mad at your own species and blaming a movie for it is just dumb.

Top Bottom