• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witches: Backlash over film's portrayal of limb impairments

GymWolf

tenor.gif
Sloth probably get more laid than these losers.

yeah this is some horrific dehumanizing bullshit.

gonna guess the "good witches" are all "normal" people with their limbs. because it's good to teach kids that if someone looks different they are inherently an evil person?

fwiw my best friend growing up was born with 3 fingers on her hand. she could play amazing piano in spite of that.

Anne Hathaway pretending to be disfigured and using that as evidence she is a witch? that is some disabaphobic bullshit.

Does....

Does she love being a turtle?

b8e17940cb99c50f73db52c638288e15.gif

Flintty

These people will not be happy until all films are vanilla and boring. Fuck art and creativity right?

Scotty W

These people will not be happy until all films are vanilla and boring. Fuck art and creativity right?
I agree and disagree with you.

I agree in that This is just Hollywood swallowing it’s own tail. They will eventually find fault with everything.

I disagree in that Hollywood has been almost entirely built on the idea of good defeating evil, the hero defeating the villain. But this is actually a fairly recent phenomenon in literature. It is impossible to say who is in the right in the Iliad, I can’t think of any simply heroic or evil Shakespeare characters. Even characters in myth and folklore are morally ambiguous: Hercules and Theseus. Even Milton’s Satan is laden with ambiguity.

But Hollywood has staked everything on this. The problem is: how do you signal to audiences that a character is evil? We know how they have done this, make them stutter, give them high cheekbones, deformities, arched eyebrows, dark skin, dark eyes, the ethnicity of whoever we are at war with at the moment, a nasal voice, dating and soft eyes and so on as infinitum.

But the world was never like this. And neither was art until yesterday.

Let Hollywood destroy itself. Nothing of value will be lost. Be happy that it is destroying it self. Perhaps that will allow true to return. Don’t be afraid that the woke will establish anything that cannot be destroyed. As someone said above, they worked overtime to make this movie woke, and they are still trying to tear it down.

Falcs

Banned
Comedian Alex Brooker, who has hand and arm impairments, told the BBC that the images "jarred quite a lot" and could "add to the stigma" around disability.

Imagine calling yourself a comedian and you get offended by this shit..
I bet he's really funny.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
amazing we have to have a loser virgin Luke Skywalker, all women Ghostbusters, a black lady take over for James Bond, but not shitting all over disfigured people? oh that's a bridge too far for woke Hollywood
Imagine calling yourself a comedian and you get offended by this shit..
I bet he's really funny.
isn't comedy mostly just bitching about shit?

Last edited:

oagboghi2

lol "art and free expression" this is a HBO remake of a book that has already been made into a movie, made by Robert Zemeckis, who apparently is just going to remake shit until oblivion. PLEASE spare me with the "art and free expression" schtick. this is Hollywood popcorn trash.

as for "stop imposing rules", i don't know why you said that. what rule am i imposing? i am criticizing this movie on a message board and pointing out that it is mean spirited. i am not the head of programming at HBO. i am not Anne Hathaway's agent. chill the fuck out. the 5 megaproducers helming this all have infinitely more power and reach than i ever will. why are you defending these mega millionaires? lol

also, for little kids, it is very true that they can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality. if kids see someone with a disability, and the first time they ever see a person like that, it is as an evil scary villain in a movie, you are damn right it alters their perception. and this movie is being marketed to little kids.

the boss battle is you fighting this person! kids are introduced to this disabled person through a video game where they fight them. can it possibly get any more dehumanizing?

maybe it's just me. i was disabled as a young child and got shit for it. i also knew a lot of disabled kids growing up. so it sucks when a hugely popular movie comes out that shits on people like us, then when you speak out about it, people like you tell us to shut up. i don't give a shit about positive stories. you can't force me to talk about something unrelated to this topic prove my devotion to disabled rights. what a weird dodge? this thread is about this movie, which is trading on a negative stereotype. i can and will speak out about it.

i'm not organizing a campaign. i'm not making threads about the trend of disabaphobia in pop culture. i don't even use Twitter. so lighten the fuck up. if a bunch of millionaire Hollywood producers can all pool their money together making fun of disfigured people then i can complain about it on the internet.
No one is making fun of you. You and your friend are not that important.

Should we ban the book and original film as well? Censor any media that has a character than can be portrayed as disabled? What do you want?

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Saw this movie and in the movie they even make a big point to say that these "Witches" are all actually some form of demon and not even human.

So no demons in human skin suits now?

Last edited:

Cravis

Everybody wants to be a victim and looks for ways to validate that line of thinking. It’s so stupid.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's basically one step beyond Going Full Retard. it's like if you went Full Retard and made the only disabled person in the film the main villain. then you promoted the movie to kids through a Roblox game where you kill the retard.
Should we ban the book and original film as well? Censor any media that has a character than can be portrayed as disabled? What do you want?
where have i called for banning? where have i called to censor any media? get out of here with these bullshit strawmen.

i can critizise this on a half dozen posts on a message board without you clutching bad faith pearls over cries of censorship. i'm not organizing a campaign like some Ree user. i don't even use Twitter. so please, chill out.

i get that wokeness is taking over everything, but i'm not demanding all women cover themselves up in hijabs or all cops are portrayed evil or that the media has Orange Man Bad message or some other CRT nonsense. this is needless dehumanizing bullshit.

as for what i want, it wouldn't have been hard to make a good guy be the one that's disfigured. why can't they do that? they could even pat themselves on the back for their own bravery and subversiveness. "WOW! How bold of them!" we could all say. "They took a dated trope and subverted it!"

i guess subversion is only good if you are shitting on a widely beloved franchise like Ghostbusters or Star Wars or Star Trek or etc. etc. etc.. if it's a remake of a remake of a book from 1983 which shits on disabled people, nope, we have to keep it exactly the way it was!

they absolutely deserve shit for this.

Last edited:
Just stop making movies. Get the whole industry unemployed and then let it rest some years until every idiot keeps shutting the fuck up.

Afterwards just blame the offended idiots that complain about every little thing.

Then restart everything and do real movies again without stupid offending limitations.
This is a pretty good idea. Stop making any movies, or any material that is offensive, just make boring, safe, shitty films.

Then when the industry collapses we can restart it without any drivel

It's called the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
As someone who has an IQ less than 50, the MCU is the best written series in all of film history. Totally not predictable, totally not obvious what the cliffhangers were and if you say "i love you 3000" was a shoe-horned line to sell merchandise, i'm going to cry mods halp!

/s

GV82

it wouldn't have been hard to make a good guy be the one that's disfigured.

If you dont mean just in the witches

Nick Fury
Quasimodo
Sloth
The Cast of Freaks (sure the title is dated but thats 1932 for you)
Deadpool? (Though you could say he’s not a good guy I suppose)
Edward Scissorhands
Frankenstein’s Monster (he’s not really the bad guy)
Darkman
V (For vendetta)
The Phantom (of the opera)
Arseface from Preacher

Some I can think of off the top of my head, there are probably more villains with disfigurements though that I can agree with.

Actress and TV presenter Grace Mandeville said she was "really disappointed with the decision to give the villains in the movie a disability for absolutely no reason other than to make the character seem scarier".

UK Paralympic swimmer and Para-triathlete Claire Cashmore was among the others who warned that the film could have a negative effect.
Cashmore, who was born without a left forearm, said images of Hathaway's character had left her "very confused/upset", and suggested Warner Bros should have sought feedback before making the film.
"We want disabilities to be normalised and be represented in a positive light rather than [be] associated with being a scary, evil witch,"

Geeze

What a pair of pleb-jects.

I'll see myself out.

JSoup

Banned
I sorta get it, but there's also an edge of 'who gives a fuck'.
Here's an example, I was born with an inoperable cataract behind my left eye. So I've always been virtually blind in that eye. It also means I developed lazy eye on that eye until some other surgeries came a long to help even out my vision a bit. Growing up, it was always annoying to find in media that the guy with the noticeable lazy eye was either evil, insane, a creep, an idiot or some mix of all four.

But then, it's a fucking movie/tv show/game, who gives a damn. It's visual junk food, nothing to get worked up about. I actually found over the years that the trope is so overdone pretty much everyone is tired of it.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
If this is the new standard I assume all evil characters that look different are out? No witch noses, crooked backs, no short characters or creatures, that's a disability too. How about psychotic or manic villains? Can't have something making light of mental illness. Villains can now only look and behave like regular people. How the hell do you even make a movie in 2020?

You cast lower-middle class conservative white people as the villains. Problem solved.

You're not going to catch any argument from me if the wokeys want to burn Hollywood to the ground. Stop all films until you can make nothing but pure woke movies with pure woke productions that cater to the tiny percentage of people REEing on Twitter.

I want these studios woking themselves out of business. If the executives have a problem with that I'm sure there can be a handy mob to pay them and their families a visit.

it's basically one step beyond Going Full Retard. it's like if you went Full Retard and made the only disabled person in the film the main villain. then you promoted the movie to kids through a Roblox game where you kill the retard.

where have i called for banning? where have i called to censor any media? get out of here with these bullshit strawmen.

i can critizise this on a half dozen posts on a message board without you clutching bad faith pearls over cries of censorship. i'm not organizing a campaign like some Ree user. i don't even use Twitter. so please, chill out.

i get that wokeness is taking over everything, but i'm not demanding all women cover themselves up in hijabs or all cops are portrayed evil or that the media has Orange Man Bad message or some other CRT nonsense. this is needless dehumanizing bullshit.

as for what i want, it wouldn't have been hard to make a good guy be the one that's disfigured. why can't they do that? they could even pat themselves on the back for their own bravery and subversiveness. "WOW! How bold of them!" we could all say. "They took a dated trope and subverted it!"

i guess subversion is only good if you are shitting on a widely beloved franchise like Ghostbusters or Star Wars or Star Trek or etc. etc. etc.. if it's a remake of a remake of a book from 1983 which shits on disabled people, nope, we have to keep it exactly the way it was!

they absolutely deserve shit for this.
Jesus you’re a crybaby. Nobody is shitting on disabled people. It’s a fantasy story about witches. Are you a child? Do you not understand that this has nothing to do with the real world? The fact you see this story as a reflection on disabled people at large is a problem with your perception, rather than the material. You’re just whining like a child. It’s pathetic.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ah yes, the radical left on their conquest of turning the world into a safe haven where no one should feel offended anymore. Except for the people who dont share this opinion; they are supposed to be hunted down like witches.

Are the witches still bald?

That must be very upsetting for bald people.
Skinheads are literally shaking right now

Last edited:
Top Bottom