• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

Catvoca

Banned
Holy shit, they didn't just make the euro price same as the U.S! Nice one. It's the same price people in the thread were expecting. Think I might go for it day 1.

This news is probably big enough for its own thread no?

Venom Fox

Banned
Jonathan's team at Thekla have been working on this for so many years. I can't imagine them settling on a firm date if they weren't confident they could hit it. Plus its not unusual for independent releases like this to be worked on up until the final hours. I'm just curious what the review copy situation is like.

Nope. It's like recent first person exploration games. You can walk anywhere you want in any direction you want.

The correct quote is:

He said he finished the last bit of content yesterday, was tweeting about looking for a venue for a release party, the PSN page is up, etc

All signs point to it releasing on time

Based on the lack of news regarding its price or press/review copies, and the fact that Jonathan Blow just mentioned on Twitter that he is still finishing parts of the game, I'm thinking we will see another small delay
Don't worry guys, I have people on my PS4 friends list playing it. They have been since 3 days ago. I can post proof if you like.

My point is, review copies are out and it will release on time.

Phinor

Should be easy to pass at that price considering how stacked PC release schedule is right now.

However, if the game turns out even better than expected...

One thing that bugs me

I wish games at that price provided a retail copy option from the start. I'd even pay more for it.

40 for a digital game is still a tough pill to swallow for me. But I understand that doing it this way is much easier and less risky

Venom Fox

Banned
I was ready to buy at $60, so I'm more than happy to pay $40. Instapurchase.
Same, I'd pay full price, especially given the amount of content being offered and the fact that Jonathan's team have spent years working on this wonderful looking game.

I don't see what the problem is for some people...

Price thread + price reaction, bleh.

I think I'll hang out here with you fine folks and discuss my 360 no-scope strat plans leading up to release.

Price thread + price reaction, bleh.

I think I'll hang out here with you fine folks and discuss my 360 no-scope strat plans leading up to release.

It's completely crazy to me how people are 1. shocked it's $40 and 2. think it isn't justified. Excited as hell to get this next week.

Vexidus

$40 is great! I'll preorder it as soon as I can. You would get a Steam key by purchasing it from their own site, right? I want to support the developers as much as possible.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
$40 is great! I'll preorder it as soon as I can. You would get a Steam key by purchasing it from their own site, right? I want to support the developers as much as possible.

I presume pre-orders via the site will use Humble's store widget, in which case a Steam key will be mentioned if it's included.

The icon for the game on my wishlist keeps changing. Now it's showing a single barren tree on a hill.

Speculation: ...
There must be some significance as to why this is the only barren tree on the entire island.

I can't believe this is happening, one of my most long awaited games is just a few weeks away. And the price is even lower than the 40€ I had imagined. So excited!

Wok

Well that thread is fun. I guess it's expected any time an indie game is in the $25+ range. You see the same comments regarding No Man's Sky being $60

I was confused for a moment because No Man's Sky was already priced. It is Amazon, so it is not the final price. I expect No Man's Sky to be released in 2017, even maybe in 2018. The release date for mid 2016 is compeltely unrealistic.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hearing from some peeps with early access that the game is 40-50 hours to beat, and that's completing 300-400 of the game's 700+ puzzles. There are some objects in the game world (being intentionally vague here) that one person I know didn't even know what to do with/what their purpose was until 20+ hours in.

It's happening, people.

Hearing from some peeps with early access that the game is 40-50 hours to beat, and that's completing 300-400 of the game's 700+ puzzles. There are some objects in the game world (being intentionally vague here) that one person I know didn't even know what to do with/what their purpose was until 20+ hours in.

It's happening, people.
700+?
So the game grew even bigger than 677 puzzles?

JonnyKong

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure I want to be solving puzzles for 50+ hours, that seems like an awfully long time. (I get angsty about spending too much time on one game). I guess I'll just wait and see what the reviews say. I'm keen to know how the game can possibly last that long, there must be a lot of hidden surprises on the island gameplay wise.

I was hoping to that I'd get this finished before Firewatch and Unravel came out. It's pretty obvious now that will just be an impossibility at that kind of reported length.

fastmower

I was confused for a moment because No Man's Sky was already priced. It is Amazon, so it is not the final price. I expect No Man's Sky to be released in 2017, even maybe in 2018. The release date for mid 2016 is compeltely unrealistic.
What makes you so sure it is unrealistic?

Honest question here, I swear I'm not trolling or anything: why exactly are you guys excited about this game?

I think Braid is a great game, so i'm obviously interested in anything Blow ends up creating. However, when The Witness was announced, I was a bit disappointed. It looked beautiful, but... I don't know, it looks a bit boring and repetitive to me. Like, "Myst with the same puzzle repeated over and over again" (I love Myst, by the way). So, I'm really surprised that so many people are interested in it. What am I missing here?

Honest question here, I swear I'm not trolling or anything: why exactly are you guys excited about this game?

I think Braid is a great game, so i'm obviously interested in anything Blow ends up creating. However, when The Witness was announced, I was a bit disappointed. It looked beautiful, but... I don't know, it looks a bit boring and repetitive to me. Like, "Myst with the same puzzle repeated over and over again" (I love Myst, by the way). So, I'm really surprised that so many people are interested in it. What am I missing here?

I think people are curious about the mystery. Not knowing what exactly the game is is part of the appeal.

Also Blow is pretty much an auteur. He makes his games very deliberately and there's little chance that the game will just suck. braid for example had layers upon layers of story and messages if you were interested in looking for them. I have no doubt the Witness offers the same depth.

That's most likely not enough for everyone, but for others it's exactly what they want. And as others said, the maze puzzles are apparently only input devices to solve puzzles, not necessarily the puzzles themselves. I doubt he worked 7 years on a game to make the equivalent of 700 sudoku boards.

JonnyKong

I don't really know anything about The Talos Principle. I take it it's similar to this? Seems to have a high score on Metacritic. Maybe I'll get that instead of this first of all.

Is it stupidly hard?

PolishQ

For me, it seems to hit on many of the things that my favorite games have had:

- a hand-crafted world to explore, where everything is there for a reason
- content that inspires (or even requires) intellectual thought
- secrets, some hidden extremely deeply

I'm more excited for this game than I am for Dark Souls 3, and I really like Dark Souls.

I'll echo what YianGaruga said above, and add that the allure of Myst had almost nothing to do with its puzzles, but with its atmosphere/environment/underlying world-building - I expect the same kind of dynamic in this game, where players are rewarded for unraveling the mysteries of the world with puzzle solutions that lead to more threads to unravel.

Wok

I don't really know anything about The Talos Principle. I take it it's similar to this? Seems to have a high score on Metacritic. Maybe I'll get that instead of this first of all.

Is it stupidly hard?

Not stupidly hard but a bit repetitive.

Also consider this:

7JMnR34.png

It feels like the first game since the 90s that could genuinely surprise me.

Most games nowadays want to set your expectations very early on so you know exactly what you will see and what you will do in the game. While that's fine most of the time, here for once I don't know what to expect, at all.

Anything could be waiting at the center of that island once it's unlocked.

Top Bottom